NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SeaWorld

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

SeaWorld - Page 2 Empty Re: SeaWorld

Post by eselle28 Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:14 pm

Wondering wrote:I saw that last night. Yay!

But I'm highly skeptical of their statement that they'll still continue to "rescue" whales. Like they rescued Tillikum? Like they "rescued" the calves from Puget Sound in the '70s.

It seems too good to be true, so I'm wary.

I'm wary as well, especially as they've said they will not be releasing (admittedly, not always possible) or finding more humane ways to care for the orcas in their care. They've said nothing about whether they'll continue to "rescue" orcas from other marine parks or about how they'll deal with the other intelligent marine mammals like dolphins that they use in their shows. I think this is a positive development, but not one that suggests Sea World has really changed its underlying policies.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

SeaWorld - Page 2 Empty Re: SeaWorld

Post by Wondering Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:01 pm

California passed a law making orca entertainment shows illegal, as well as captive breeding by individuals and corporations. The law does allow for education institutions to capture and/or breed orcas with the goal of rehabilitating them.

And therein, SeaWorld tells you exactly how they plan to continue to abduct wild whales and keep them captive:

In a statement, SeaWorld said that the new law is in line with the company's views. They also pointed out that they are legally permitted to capture new whales with the intentions of returning them into the wild.

"The bill does allow for SeaWorld to rescue and rehabilitate stranded orcas, with the goal of returning them to the wild, as is the case with all animals we rescue." the company said on its website. "And, if the federal government determines that the orca is not releasable, that animal could stay in SeaWorld’s care."

Exactly as I said a few months ago. They publicly maintain the fiction that all the whales they rip from their pods were "rescued." And also that they "care" for them in tiny tanks. You are not the Monterrey Bay Aquarium, SeaWorld. Nor are you a university with a marine biology program. Just stop it.

Source article:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/california-bans-seaworld-s-killer-whale-shows-and-breeding-program-a7278926.html

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum