NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advice on a Meetup

4 posters

Go down

Advice on a Meetup Empty Advice on a Meetup

Post by Dannyboy Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:59 pm

Hey guys Daniel here, again.

So, I was looking around for meetups to go to in an effort to make friends and I found a Indie Music Meetup in Denver. They have a meetup planned for a concert with a bunch of local Lo-fi bands on November, 25th, the night before Thanksgiving. I'm so...unsure about this, I have so many questions and doubts.

Right now there's only four other people signed up for the event which is okay but I'm worried, what if I never actually meet these people at the show? What if I meet them but they're their own clique and they're not interested in meeting new people. Should I just talk to random people at the show? Would anyone there even want to talk to me, I mean I'm into "big" indie stuff ( My Bloody Valentine, The velvet Underground, The Replacements, Husker Du, Guided By Voices, Low, litterature you know what I'm talking about, right) and I've never been to a local show before, what if everyone there is a hipster who looks down at me for not being "in" on the scene?

Should I even, go? Its an hour away and I'm really worried about what would happen if I go there and I find noone to talk to and I go home feeling all depressed and hopeless.

Any thoughts, advice?

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Advice on a Meetup Empty Re: Advice on a Meetup

Post by Enail Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:03 am

I'm not much up on indie, but in general IME, concerts are good places to chat to people. And if you go, and don't find the meetup people or don't feel up to chatting with other people much, you can just enjoy the concert and still go home having done something cool!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:09 am

I say go, with some caveats:

Yes. Indie scenes are often as stereotypically snotty as you think. Cred counts, people are cliquish, etc.

But: even if this holds true at this event, which it probably won't because it's a Meetup specifically open to/inviting folks outside the scene, that snottiness doesn't have to be a big deal. If you're there because you like the bands, and you're not being a dick to anybody, the worst you're gonna get is ignored (and how bad is that? You get to listen to some live music and drink a beer. Win-win). And in my experience, snotty indie scenesters are actually pretty easy to talk to if you have the gumption to go start a normal conversation and don't even attempt to pull any cred. They may pretend they're too cool for everybody, but a lot of them are just super shy and hoping someone will talk to them so they don't have to go home all depressed and hopeless. Laughing
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskadee Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:43 am

Don't know about that music scene, but I also think you should go! If those four folks wanted to be super-cliquey, they could go by themselves rather than as a part of a meetup, which is an implied invitation for others to join. Setting up a Meetup event is work, and I don't think anyone would do it if they secretly hoped no one would come or just wanted to hang out with a few friends.

I would suggest asking (on the event page) how to find the group - often for meetups where the group goes to a bigger event, there's some plan to find the group, or maybe they'd be willing to come up with one.
Kiskadee
Kiskadee

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum