NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did i do the right thing?

2 posters

Go down

Did i do the right thing? Empty Did i do the right thing?

Post by Gotoku 2017 Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Hi guys
Basically I need some advice on a friend and whether I did the right thing in this situation.

Basically a few nights ago a friend/co worker told me that she was suffering from depression and was bored of her life. She basically told me a little about her life and that despite appearing to be happy she was really sad. We had both been to a party the night before and still feeling the effects of the alcohol so maybe that flared up her emotions. This all happened while on break at work and it honestly caught me off guard as nothing seemed wrong at first.

I did try and offer her some advice to see a doctor or therapist. Also I tried to work out what was bothering her and said I was always happy to listen if she needed to vent. In the end she told me she did not know me well enough to tell me more and the conversation sort of just ended and she seemed down for the rest of the night

I've seen her a few times and she seems alright now. We still talk and it feels like it always has been just having a laugh and stuff. I won't lie its hard not to think about what happened. I just remember seeing her almost cry as she started to talk a little about her dad.
I did speak to another friend about it who told me I did all I could and she clearly trusted me enough to tell me that. He also said I was being too hard on myself as I felt frustrated I could not really help her

I guess for now I will just act how I always have around her and just try and not make things awkward.

Any advice would be helpful as it’s sat in the back of my mind for the last few days

Gotoku 2017

Back to top Go down

Did i do the right thing? Empty Re: Did i do the right thing?

Post by Enail Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:37 am

It sounds like she just wanted to let something out for a moment, and you gave her a safe place to do that, and that's all she wanted at this point.  Especially since you're a coworker, she may not want to open up too much. Making her feelings yours to solve isn't good for you or for her, so just be her friend as normal. Keep having fun with her, don't try to force deep conversations she doesn't necessarily want, you've shown her that she can talk to you if she wants to, so it's up to her if she does want to again sometime.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gotoku 2017 Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:04 pm

thank you for the advice I think i was just worried that I might not have done the right thing in trying to give her some advice....eh I might just be overthinking that.

Don't worry I had no plan to bring it back up as it's something that I know I can't really change and all i can do is be a friend towards her. We just joke around and stuff and I will just act like how I normally do around her. As said if she does ever bring it up again I will just try to be a good friend towards her.

Gotoku 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum