NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Romeo x Juliet

2 posters

Go down

Romeo x Juliet  Empty Romeo x Juliet

Post by BlackBart Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:35 pm

So, has anybody watched this anime?  I found myself enjoying it much more than the actual play. Romeo and Juliet is my least favourite of Shakespeare's works, but somehow, in a fantasy setting it works astoundingly well, or at least better than I expected. I like how thay decided to give the main characters some mor depth, rather than leaving them as "two horny teenagers". Juliet works suprisingly well as a combination of herself and Hamlet, and Romeo is...ah, who am I kidding he sucks even in this incarnation Smile Besides we get some cool background characters, of which my favourite is definitely this anime's version of Sasuke - Tybalt.

Back to top Go down

Romeo x Juliet  Empty Re: Romeo x Juliet

Post by Enail Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:13 pm

I haven't seen it, but I tend to enjoy weird or modern takes on Shakespeare plays (I liked the 90s Romeo + Juliet, fight me) even though about most other things I'm an obnoxious purist, so I could see it being fun. And a Hamlet-Juliet sounds fucking awesome. I might have to watch this someday.

It's an older show, right, not current? Is it long?
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackBart Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:22 pm

It's from 2007-08, if I recall correctly. It's 24 episodes long. I recommend watching it with English dubbing, though. They did a great thing of incorporating Shakespeare-styled dialogue to make it more "authentic". Don't get discouraged if it drags a little in the middle. The payoff is worth the wait Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:54 pm

Dubbed?! I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that! Razz
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BlackBart Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

Enail wrote:Dubbed?! I'm not sure I can bring myself to do that! Razz

I assure you, it's worth it. The anime loses a lot without that "shakespearean" dialogue. But, anyway you do it, dubbed or subbed, you should give it a shot. It's really good. I would place it second only to Zetsuen no Tempest in "anime does Shakespeare" category. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum