NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rate My Style Redux

+28
litterature
DoubtfulGuest
CP96
readertorider
jcorozza
AtlachNacha
Wondering
StrangePanda
LadyIkaros
Crimson
Stumbles
celette482
Jayce
8bitGreyscale
kath
reboot
Enail
Werel
reboundstudent
eselle28
BasedBuzzed
Conreezy
kleenestar
Lemminkainen
UristMcBunny
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
The Wisp
32 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 Empty Re: Rate My Style Redux

Post by AtlachNacha Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:49 pm

Werel wrote:Awww, you are pretty! Like a young Damien Echols. Laughing

I had to google who this was and... A convicted murderer? I'm not sure how I feel about the comparison.

Werel wrote:I agree with reboot on the center part not hitting quite right. Try a side part?

That's what I was going for in the first picture, I guess it needs to be farther over.

Werel wrote:And re: gloves: the leather is not ringing "corporate" bells for me. If you're having trouble with people finding you intimidating, yeah, lose the gloves.

Yeah, thought so. Haven't been wearing them as often because I suspected they might be a problem. (They're so cool though! Conductive thread through the fingertips so they don't interfere with touchscreens!) They're driving gloves, though, I do see gloves like that worn with a suit and tie sometimes: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2e/50/02/2e50028ef1a55070ebdd1a6678b008d0.jpg perhaps I just can't pull it off, oh well.

Reboot: AH you posted while I was typing. Yeah, I have some nylon dress gloves with the ribbing between the knuckles, if I can remember where I put them...

AtlachNacha

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:22 pm

AtlachNacha wrote:

I had to google who this was and... A convicted murderer? I'm not sure how I feel about the comparison.

No, no! A wrongfully convicted murderer who basically went to jail for wearing all black in the South as a teenager, and got released after two decades of public lobbying! It's a flattering comparison, I promise. Damien Echols is an admirable dude. Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by AtlachNacha Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:26 pm

Werel wrote:
AtlachNacha wrote:

No, no! A wrongfully convicted murderer who basically went to jail for wearing all black in the South as a teenager, and got released after two decades of public lobbying! It's a flattering comparison, I promise. Damien Echols is an admirable dude. Razz

Oh, okay! I just wasn't familiar with the reference, and the first thing google pulled up was all like 'sentenced to death for the murder of...' and so... yeah. Almost thought you were cracking a joke of some sort. That's a new comparison though, I'd previously gotten Peter Steele (? maybe the hair.) and Leonardo DiCaprio.

Now I'm just blushing at the pretty comment. Embarassed Thanks.

AtlachNacha

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:18 pm

Atlach, dude, as a former long haired fellow, I gotta say you got some dope locks.

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:02 am

reboot wrote:Maybe if you want gloves go for something more formal looking? Because those ones look a bit motorcycle-ish? Maybe something even military dress uniform looking or vintage formal?

Yes! This is the same thought I had (though maybe ditch the gloves entirely for situations where you're mostly interacting with strangers - but reboot's suggestion of vintage may do the trick) - those gloves read more "tough guy" to me than anything, and that doesn't seem to suit your personality at all. Digging the bow tie, though.

I agree that a side part may be better - ever do a ponytail? Just curious, because I always thought my ex looked better (or at least, more approachable) with one, but that may because his hair was heavily thinning, and it was easier to cover it that way. I know when my hair's longer in the kind of heat you guys get, I sweat like crazy!
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:25 am

Yeah, thought so. Haven't been wearing them as often because I suspected they might be a problem. (They're so cool though! Conductive thread through the fingertips so they don't interfere with touchscreens!) They're driving gloves, though, I do see gloves like that worn with a suit and tie sometimes: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/2e/50/02/2e50028ef1a55070ebdd1a6678b008d0.jpg perhaps I just can't pull it off, oh well.

Reboot: AH you posted while I was typing. Yeah, I have some nylon dress gloves with the ribbing between the knuckles, if I can remember where I put them...

The gloves are cool, but they ping either the biker or the "I am flying a biplane/driving a model T" bell, neither of which are bad bells, but not what you seem to be aiming for with that outfit. Couple them with a white scarf and a more casual (e.g. jacket, no tie, open collar or lighter color shirt and traditional tie) and the right coat (vintage bomber? Military trench?) and they would work much better.

For your hair, have you ever tried a braid? It might go well with the polished corporate goth look.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:18 am

Ooh, a braid pulled back with an ornate silver clip might go really well with the old-fashioned elements of your look! The hair forward looks good on you, but I think pulled back in some fashion tends to look a little more friendly, and it might suit you well too, so if you're looking to reduce intimidation factor I'd play around with a few styles that don't cover the face as much.

I'll second the others saying the gloves (while cool!) are probably the biggest intimidating-looking element, and also that they don't fit together as well as the rest of your look. Bring them out when you're aiming for more edgy, less elegant/corporate.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:46 am

Oooh! A hair clip with matching cufflinks would be really nice looking.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:02 pm

First off, I admire the hell out of the courage it takes to wear what you do. You rock.

Maybe something even military dress uniform looking or vintage formal?

Yes!

I agree with reboot on the center part not hitting quite right. Try a side part?

I like the center part. To me, it's much more classically rock-and-roll badass and less immature, tortured-artist emo.

I think the chains on the double-breasted coat are a little much, but I like them with the open single breasted coat and vest. (Chains are a common part of white tie tail coats, since they're never closed. Ever considered one of those? Maybe for an especially done-up look or even?)

Pocket square #2 is cool. It breaks up the darkness of the entire outfit, which can get monotonous and make a lighter-skinned guy look like a floating head at night.

I like the plum shirt, but not with the dark suit. Something more grey would let it stand out better. I think you could rock a plum suit, too, which would be badass.

Everything seems to fit reasonably well, except for shirt sleeves that are a bit short. I'd like to see a dead-on shot of that double breasted coat to see what it does for your waist.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 5:39 am

Conreezy wrote:
I agree with reboot on the center part not hitting quite right. Try a side part?

I like the center part.  To me, it's much more classically rock-and-roll badass and less immature, tortured-artist emo.

Outside general 'holy shit, awesome style dude!' comments, I agree with Conreezy that the centre part is better for the exact same reason.

Funnily enough, I had a talk about parting my hair with parents today. They say part it, I say I don't particularly like the look on myself. My mum specifically said she thinks sweeping all my hair back looks 'girly'. While looking girly is hardly a concern of mine, I'd still like some impression from the brutal honesty that is online acquaintances.

So, how does this look? I'm not seeing the 'girly' in it and I think it's pretty decent myself. I have to use gel to keep it down, but it still forms that slight, natural part no matter what I do.

FYI: If I look exhausted, it's because I am. It's been a terrible week. Laughing

Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 MHYdGOIh

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:37 am

I like the straight, swept back look on you because your hair has waves. Atlas, if you can get your hair to d the, do it (I cannot because I have a slightly to the left, off center part naturally and my hair resists all efforts to not part)

Personally, I like the center part on Atlas, but he is trying to go for a look that is less likely to intimidate, so anything that pingds "badass" did not fit the bill
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:41 am

@MapWater: Your hair looks very thick and layered, like mine did. :3 The sweep is cool, and it doesn't matter if your a boy or girl, the sweep is always sexy in my opinion. Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam sweeped (and still does) his hair aaaand has a goatee as well, like you. Grin

I do think you should sweep it, but I think it's the layers that keep it from staying put. Razz

Btw do you have a widow's peak?

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:29 pm

So, how does this look? I'm not seeing the 'girly' in it and I think it's pretty decent myself.

The "girly" things I see are your fair, very healthy skin, soft eyes, arched eyebrows, and wavy, soft-looking hair. I would only call them "girly" because they appear a little softer and more youthful than the grungier looks most guys go for, but that's not at all a bad thing, and not at all an insult.

You're a pretty dude, so roll with it. Keep you hair as is.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:35 am

reboot wrote:I like the straight, swept back look on you because your hair has waves. Atlas, if you can get your hair to d the, do it (I cannot because I have a slightly to the left, off center part naturally and my hair resists all efforts to not part)

Personally, I like the center part on Atlas, but he is trying to go for a look that is less likely to intimidate, so anything that pingds "badass" did not fit the bill

Ahhh, I didn't think of it from the perspective. I wouldn't be inclined to say the centre part is a massive increase of the wrong kind of 'badass', but the side part does look less harsh.

The Mikey wrote:@MapWater: Your hair looks very thick and layered, like mine did. :3 The sweep is cool, and it doesn't matter if your a boy or girl, the sweep is always sexy in my opinion. Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam sweeped (and still does) his hair aaaand has a goatee as well, like you. Grin

I do think you should sweep it, but I think it's the layers that keep it from staying put. Razz

Btw do you have a widow's peak?

Sweep vote!

Eeyup. Very thick. I got a haircut on Saturday simply to thin it down - I need one every 4 weeks to keep it from going mad. But, yeah, gender norms doesn't really phase me with hair. I'm already bucking the short trend, so outside of extremely feminine style like pigtails, I'm not fussed.

Unfortunately, no widows peak. I think they look bloody awesome, but alas, I don't have one.

Conreezy wrote:
So, how does this look? I'm not seeing the 'girly' in it and I think it's pretty decent myself.

The "girly" things I see are your fair, very healthy skin, soft eyes, arched eyebrows, and wavy, soft-looking hair.  I would only call them "girly" because they appear a little softer and more youthful than the grungier looks most guys go for, but that's not at all a bad thing, and not at all an insult.  

You're a pretty dude, so roll with it.  Keep you hair as is.  

Heh, thanks! Grungy isn't the way with me - 70s prog icons are my templates. They typically had a softer, almost nerdy look to them. But that's another good vote for the sweep.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:13 pm

MapWater wrote:
Sweep vote!

Eeyup. Very thick. I got a haircut on Saturday simply to thin it down - I need one every 4 weeks to keep it from going mad. But, yeah, gender norms doesn't really phase me with hair. I'm already bucking the short trend, so outside of extremely feminine style like pigtails, I'm not fussed.

Unfortunately, no widows peak. I think they look bloody awesome, but alas, I don't have one.

Sounds about right, my hair grows very quickly as well. D: I was also blessed to have been born with a widow's peak. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:54 pm

AtlachNacha, I think (it looks like to me, anyway) that you DO have something of a widow's peak, and as someone with a widow's peak, I tend to think side parts work better with them. Sort of working with your hairline rather than trying to make it work in a way it doesn't.  Do you find your hair has a sort of natural part anywhere?

My mother is who I inherited my widow's peak from, and I have never seen her center-part her hair. I tried for a while in grade 8, and I gotta say I am happy I moved on from that phase in my hair-life ... but that's also the most awkward age to be, so that may have been down to being 13 more than the center part.

Maybe the dude with long dark hair + side part has some emo connotations I'm not up on though.

And MapWater, I don't think your hair looks girly like that! It just looks like long, thick, wavy hair.

(Also that picture of the guy in the gloves looks really intimidating to me Razz. Might be posture and facial expression more than the gloves though.)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:28 am

Went through my yearly-ish upgrade. Short hair (which I'm about to change again a bit), finally got some comfy boots, fresh round of geek T-shirts (this one's Stephen King's Gunslinger) and while you can't really make it out in the photos, a sort of scarf/hood thing that drapes over my shoulders and flips up for a very Modern Nazgul look. It fills out my shoulders a bit and I like the snug fit on the t-shirts I got. Too dark?

Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 20150214
Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 20150218

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:30 pm

Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 Vanity10

Full beard mode, aware hair is not in optimal positioning.

Opinions?

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:11 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:Full beard mode, aware hair is not in optimal positioning.

Opinions?

Definitely not a fashionista, but some opinions if you still want them:

-dimples!

-to me you're giving off a very academic/grad school vibe--stubbly full beard, slouch, wrinkled clothing, uneven shirt collar, messy hair + jacket makes it seem like you're going through the motions of dressing appropriately without taking it too seriously. I don't know if that's intentional/relevant/desired for you--I'm certain it appeals to some people especially if it showcases your personality.

-maybe it's the lighting, but your jacket + shirt look very dark together--IME it's usually dark jacket + lightish shirt, or dark shirt alone, or dark shirt + light colored pullover. Also it could be the lighting, but the maybe-navy maybe-black colors are inoffensive, but not really noticeable--more faded than saturated.

-one thing I'd think about changing is your beard. Slightly longer and evenly trimmed or clean shaven I think would look more like a deliberate fashion choice.

-overall I'd say your look leans more toward the 'approachable, intelligent, reserved' end of the spectrum than the 'professional, confident, stylish' end. I'm not sure that's a bad thing whatever the dr. nerdlove blog may say about snappy dressing, but do you want to change your look?
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:04 pm

Was looking to get opinions on the beard, but more feedback is always good. Gonna grow it out a bit more and make it a tad less shaggy. You nailed the student-chic aspect, as this was taking at a charity event by a non-profit mainly staffed by students.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:50 am

So one of my biggest fashion struggles has been dressing for my body shape. I've done hours of research and still come away frustrated and confused, because the things that are supposed to look good on me or compliment my shape end up not doing so. Part of the problem also is I can never seem to determine my actual body shape. I've been described as everything from a ruler to an apple to an hourglass to a triangle. Ruler, as my measurements are pretty straight up and down (Shoulders: 37", Bust: 36", Waist: 30-32", Hips: 39"), Apple, as I'm short and most of my weight is concentrated in my middle, Hourglass, because I wear a larger cup size and when skinnier could look proportionally more evened out, and Triangle, because my shoulders are fairly broad.

For example, one of those things I'm consistently trying to hide is my stomach. I love Regency fashion, and I've read that empire waists are very flattering for apple shapes.

I was going for this:
Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 Pp_pair1

and got this:
Rate My Style Redux - Page 6 11296735_425123014358091_1889893577_n

It appears that empire dresses make me look even fatter. So, is the idea that an empire waist (sits right below the bust) is flattering on all shapes a lie? What body shapes should wear empire waist? Is there some kind of edit I could do to my dress to make it look more flattering?

Thanks guys!
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:05 am

Honestly, RBS, I don't look at that and see fat at all. I think it's a good shape on you, and you look really nice in it. The only advice on would give on the style is to work toward a more precise fit in the bust area and look for an ironing strategy (or fabric choice) that gives you a better up/down angle.

No matter how much you do with style and cut in clothing, it isn't changing the fundamental body underneath. If you approach a picture looking for, "can I find the fat?" then you probably will. Profiles tend to be more honest, too. I generally aim for things that emphasize my waist hip ratio rather than things that will hide my belly in profile, because hiding things is much harder than accentuating them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:08 am

Also, just as a neutral perspective, I just asked my kids to describe you based on the picture. They all said you were really pretty, and when I asked "skinny, fat, or in the middle?", 2/3 of them said skinny, and the remaining one said "in the middle."

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:29 am

I don't think that photo looks fat at all. My only suggestion would be maybe try something that hugs the midsection a little more before widening over the hips.
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:44 am

Yeah, I'm not seeing fat here either. With this dress in particular, if the waist was maybe an inch lower it might be a tad more flattering, and I think a closer fit in the sleeves would help, too, but even as a heterosexual woman, the first thing I notice in this picture is some damn fine cleavage.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum