NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Devilman Crybaby

Go down

Devilman Crybaby Empty Devilman Crybaby

Post by bomaye Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:32 pm

A Netflix anime.

It's about a man who thought he was going to die during a bout of diarrhea and decided he wanted to leave a mark on the world, and instead of dying he became the godfather of everything trashy about anime and manga back in the late '60s and '70s. The ecchi subgenre, mecha have cockpits and being piloted by people, ridiculous gore and violence.

Wait, no, that's not what the anime is about, that's just the story of the life of the Devilman manga author, Go Nagai.

Devilman Crybaby is apparently the closest animated adaptation of the original Devilman manga, but with added 2010s modernity to it (cell phones, freestyle rappers, and other awful things we've destroyed society with since the 1970s). It's about two boys, Ryo and Akira. Ryo is a famous scientist who discovers the existence of devils, and turns his friend Akira into one seemingly to fight the emerging devil threat.

This anime is absolute trash. Blood, gore, shock factor, nudity, sex, violence of all kinds. It's what you should expect from a guy who nearly shit himself to death. It's nsfw and I assume there's gotta be trigger warnings for something in this, but it went by so quickly that it's kind of blur. It tries to be super-shocking and horrible but it's not really smart enough (or smart at all) to make any of it mean anything, so you're kind of just sitting there going "well, I guess that just happened  Laughing ". Also the animation style looks like it someone tried to recreate 1970s anime in flash and failed spectacularly.

Actually it's not absolute trash, I did like the ending and the sound effects and soundtrack were really good, the animation style does have its moments, and the demon gore is extremely creative for how goofy it looks.

This is a reverse recommendation. If you want to watch anything remotely good, you should just forget that I ever mentioned this or that it even exists. No one who wants to live a good life and experience quality should ever knowingly decide to watch this. However if you like trash, if you like exposing yourself to low-quality garbage (hello, horror fans), or you just want to see a really fucking weird project that probably shouldn't have been made, or even just have ever had that feeling of "I need to share this with friends and people I know, they need to be in on at least some of this garbage" I would recommend watching at least one episode of Devilman Crybaby.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum