NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gender and identity comics/graphics

5 posters

Go down

Gender and identity comics/graphics Empty Gender and identity comics/graphics

Post by reboot Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:33 pm

I have a love for using graphic art to transmit complex concepts and ideas, so thought we needed a thread that presented gender and identity issues using comics and illustration. Please post your favorites!

Here is one I like from Rasenth that was in Huffington Post

(If someone can figure out how to embed the image that would be cool. My minimal skills are stumped)
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Gender and identity comics/graphics Empty Re: Gender and identity comics/graphics

Post by Lemminkainen Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:39 pm

I've only read the first issue, but I get the sense that Image Comics's Sex Criminals deals with a lot of these issues. It's also pretty funny.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Gender and identity comics/graphics Empty Re: Gender and identity comics/graphics

Post by Enail Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:00 pm

Cool idea for a thread! This site has some funny (and informative) ones. And Oh Joy Sex Toy (very much NSFW) is largely reviews of sex toys in comics form, but it also touches on a variety of topics around gender, sexuality and identity, so I'm saying it qualifies anyway!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Thanks to Bunny's Flight Rising recruitment, I found this wonderful thing:
http://lostumbreon.tumblr.com/post/98645643725/zmcr1234-adriofthedead-okay-i-realize
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Enail wrote:Cool idea for a thread! This site has some funny (and informative) ones. And Oh Joy Sex Toy (very much NSFW) is largely reviews of sex toys in comics form, but it also touches on a variety of topics around gender, sexuality and identity, so I'm saying it qualifies anyway!

Ahahaha oh man, that first OJST comic is great. "If AdultFriendFinder is the Ferengi, then Fetlife is the Federation. Make that Feteration." Laughing
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:13 pm

I think Trans Girl Next Door is great. I just find her charming and would love to get a coffee with her
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:18 am

As far as sex webcomics that portray people with a plurality of different kinds of sexuality, paraphilia, and gender expression, I'm particularly fond of Oglaf. (Granted, sometimes, the sexualities are things like "I can only get aroused when an owl is watching me," but you'll see a bunch of existing-in-the-real-world stuff as well.) It's surreal and frequently hilarious.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:52 pm

Oglaf is so gooood. One of my favorites for slightly surreal and sometimes-sexy humor.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Oct 25, 2014 6:54 pm

Fun comic on being a Malaysian woman in America: http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3439
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:19 am

And a roundup of comics and characters that appeal to LGBTQ readers as per Comic Alliance key informant interviews: http://comicsalliance.com/comics-pride-month-50-most-important-lgbt-comics-characters/
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:48 am

reboot wrote:Fun comic on being a Malaysian woman in America: http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3439

Nowadays, when someone asks me where I'm from I say: "Take a guess". The answers are interesting to hear.

I've yet to have these questions become tiring for me because I haven't heard enough of them I suppose.

I get the impression that many people do not know the difference between nationality and ethnicity. And not enough people realize that it's patronizing to say "Your English is good!".

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 am

HermitTheToad wrote:
reboot wrote:Fun comic on being a Malaysian woman in America: http://geekxgirls.com/article.php?ID=3439

Nowadays, when someone asks me where I'm from I say: "Take a guess". The answers are interesting to hear.

I've yet to have these questions become tiring for me because I haven't heard enough of them I suppose.

I get the impression that many people do not know the difference between nationality and ethnicity. And not enough people realize that it's patronizing to say "Your English is good!".

Oh lord that question is so bad. One of my colleagues is maybe 5th or 6th generation Chinese American (came over to build railroad) and she still gets it while I (mom born in Poland, raised in Turkey and father's parents born in Poland) never do. And people have no idea that it sounds the way it does.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:49 am

Oh, I don't know if you've already figured it out reboot, but you can use [img][/img] tags for individual images or gifs.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:55 am

HermitTheToad wrote:Oh, I don't know if you've already figured it out reboot, but you can use tags for individual images or gifs.

Ahhhh! Thanks! I was trying to tag the whole comic and failed Smile One image though makes sense
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum