NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

+14
waxingjaney
reboot
Enail
reboundstudent
Werel
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Coin-op Adjutant
sky
azazel
Coin-op Adjudicator
inertia
UristMcBunny
fakely mctest
18 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:13 pm

In a probably ill advised move, I've decided to take up cross stitch again. By again, I mean, I was pretty okay at it before I hit my teens, so this might come with a relearning curve. The goal is to make this, quite a bit bigger:

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Il_570xN.664853598_bk5z
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Empty Re: Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread!

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:21 am

If I'm ever pissed or stressed, or feel the need to paint or draw (which I tend to feel a lot, but lack motivation), I'll go ahead and force myself. Plus it's good practice. Anyway, after the painful San Diego Chargers loss I felt lost and agitated plus I had no motivation for anything.

SUDDENLY, a post on Tumblr. It was the four symbols of Led Zeppelin IV. "What is this!? Oh, it's the release of Jimmy Page's remastered version, holy shit!!"

tl;dr here's a half-assed Robert Plant painting I did.

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:57 am

The Mikey wrote:
I have other stuff there in links too, I definitely recommend looking at my ArtStation profile  :3

Linky plz Grin

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:53 pm

azazel wrote:
The Mikey wrote:
I have other stuff there in links too, I definitely recommend looking at my ArtStation profile  :3

Linky plz Grin

Ask and you shall receive. -boom-

And yes, that is my real name. I hope to be able to get freelance work later on in the future and keep this as an online portfolio. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:47 am

I did a new painting. :3 It's Iron Maiden's Eddie!
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1979631_10153325919461165_1912485779576659033_n

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:02 am

Not sure if this should go in the Crafts thread or the "Rate My Style" thread. Laughing Either way, here's the Victorian dress I've been slaving over and finally finished! I am wearing it again to a ball in January, and currently the improvements are: -bring the hem of the underskirt up a bunch -fix the shoulders -Sew the bustle in place -Add another petticoat -Add a bustle pad

Any other suggestions? I'm awfully at accessorizing; any ideas? Smile

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 P8S0qEC
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Empty Maybe add a shawl?

Post by ChrissyOrig Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:17 am

Very lovely pose. I would avoid adding anything around the neck/chest area (such as jewelry) because the lines are very flattering as is. I could see adding a solid color shawl in one of the pattern colors, resting around the back and wrapping around your arms to give length and soften the arm area. (So the shawl would wrap around ending somewhere between the elbow and wrist.)

ChrissyOrig

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:43 pm

Fuck, that's awesome! I second the shawl idea, but I think you could also pull off a smallish necklace that was choker length or slightly longer, something fairly delicate. A small cameo? That'd be pretty period.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:47 pm

Enail wrote:Fuck, that's awesome! I second the shawl idea, but I think you could also pull off a smallish necklace that was choker length or slightly longer, something fairly delicate. A small cameo? That'd be pretty period.

I was thinking the same, a small cameo, perhaps on a ribbon choker?

And triple wow, RBS. That is amazing.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:00 pm

reboot wrote:
Enail wrote:Fuck, that's awesome! I second the shawl idea, but I think you could also pull off a smallish necklace that was choker length or slightly longer, something fairly delicate. A small cameo? That'd be pretty period.

I was thinking the same, a small cameo, perhaps on a ribbon choker?

And triple wow, RBS. That is amazing.

Thanks guys! I love the shawl idea, that'd be a fantastic addition. I love ribbon chokers, but I admit, I worry what they do to my chin fat. :-)

What do you guys think for gloves? Short lacy ones or long opera-style ones?
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:25 pm

Elbow-length fingerless lace for the gloves, and skip the jewelry and go for a head scarf.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Empty The glove question

Post by ChrissyOrig Sat Dec 27, 2014 3:32 pm

reboundstudent wrote:

Thanks guys! I love the shawl idea, that'd be a fantastic addition. I love ribbon chokers, but I admit, I worry what they do to my chin fat. :-)

What do you guys think for gloves? Short lacy ones or long opera-style ones?

I think either type of glove could work. You'll probably have to try them on to see. If you're going to use a shawl, first get that and wrap it. The short gloves might end up segmenting the arm line--that is, there would be a section below the shawl and above the glove that might break the line and look awkward; check it to see. If you go with the long gloves, maybe consider echoing the color of the trim (looks like gold); that could tie the outfit together nicely. Green is a very good color for you, so try a green shawl to see if that works for you. Be sure to post whatever is your final look!

ChrissyOrig

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sat Dec 27, 2014 4:00 pm

ChrissyOrig wrote:

I think either type of glove could work. You'll probably have to try them on to see. If you're going to use a shawl, first get that and wrap it. The short gloves might end up segmenting the arm line--that is, there would be a section below the shawl and above the glove that might break the line and look awkward; check it to see. If you go with the long gloves, maybe consider echoing the color of the trim (looks like gold); that could tie the outfit together nicely. Green is a very good color for you, so try a green shawl to see if that works for you. Be sure to post whatever is your final look!

Ooo gold opera gloves would look perfect! What do you think of http://www.greatlookz.com/item.asp?PID=8767&gclid=Cj0KEQiAzvmkBRCm3ZbV-4-hwrYBEiQAgLOw60gf3p9b63Y69L3TNcXbyZTGTkYxcFaoaH71u6tVkA8aAjvP8P8HAQ?

Do you think the shawl should be knit, or woven? Maybe a pashmina/silk would go nicely with the silk of the bodice? Like this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/180932713/solid-color-pashmina-scarf-in-emerald?ref=sr_gallery_29&ga_search_query=shawl&ga_color=0ac20a&ga_page=3&ga_search_type=handmade&ga_view_type=gallery
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Sat Dec 27, 2014 5:18 pm

Wow. I'm still kind of stunned that you made that. I know how you feel about compliments, and I know you want to keep learning and improving (as well you should!), but I hope it's okay that I just say that that is really beautiful dress and I am incredibly impressed that you made that. Smile

As for the questions at hand: I love the gloves, but if you are going for those gloves then I definitely think something more pashmina/silky makes sense. You're going for a more formal look if those are the gloves of choice (which I really think ought to be). I'm almost thinking a gold pashmina to match the gloves might be nice, but that also might be too matchy matchy . . . The green is great too! Smile

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:32 pm

OneTrueGuest wrote:Wow.  I'm still kind of stunned that you made that.  I know how you feel about compliments, and I know you want to keep learning and improving (as well you should!), but I hope it's okay that I just say that that is really beautiful dress and I am incredibly impressed that you made that.  Smile

As for the questions at hand:  I love the gloves, but if you are going for those gloves then I definitely think something more pashmina/silky makes sense.  You're going for a more formal look if those are the gloves of choice (which I really think ought to be).  I'm almost thinking a gold pashmina to match the gloves might be nice, but that also might be too matchy matchy . . . The green is great too! Smile

Compliments that are 1) on the Internet and 2) the result of me putting myself out there (aka, I posted the picture) are a-okay with me, so thank you very much. :-) I think for the ball, opera gloves are going to look the best; I'm really kind of fixated on the idea of a pashmina wrap!

Just wait until I do the whole thing again next year, this time in velvet. :-D
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:30 pm

Well in that case you are very welcome Smile .

And I agree, for a ball opera gloves and the pashmina are the way to go.

And velvet?? So cool! What colour are you thinking?

(can I also say that your version of Victorian/Steampunk is so much cooler than mine. I usually just go buy a couple things off the rack and add my goggles and Steampunk jewelry - which I also purchased, but at least those I guess are from independent Steampunk artisans I guess. Ooh! This is a particular favourite shop of mine: https://www.etsy.com/shop/TempusLuna )

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:33 pm

AAAAH that is SO GORGEOUS. I may be coming to you for advice about my next sewing project (and only won't if I can't get it together to ask coherently, which is usually how I roll).

Do you usually do your hair in a victorian style when you wear it to events?
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:22 pm

It looks great and its a good match for the owner. I'd suggest a steampunky pendant instead of a scarf but that will tend to draw attention. . .er. . .down. If you're going for short gloves, have a little clutch or whatever to go with it. Not sure why but those two things go together in my mind. You can't go wrong with a brassed Nerf in a thigh holster. Smile

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:49 pm

kath wrote:AAAAH that is SO GORGEOUS. I may be coming to you for advice about my next sewing project (and only won't if I can't get it together to ask coherently, which is usually how I roll).

Do you usually do your hair in a victorian style when you wear it to events?

I do! I told my hair dresser to expect me in about a month for a Victorian up-do, and she is super excited/terrified (she's somewhat new to cosmetology, so should be a fun learning experience!) I'll also happily give any tips/advice I can on sewing. Now if only I could knit...

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 Anigif_enhanced-buzz-30722-1419869016-26
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:32 am

So I finished my friend's Justice League pillow, which got good reviews, and also finished a redshirts thingie to hang in a corner of my office in a subversive way. I'm now making something for my niece. If it turns out well, it may be something this beginner feels comfortable photographing.

I'm kind of liking being into a sewing-related discipline, which is odd for me. My mother tried to get both of her daughters into sewing type things. We both resisted, and I resisted the most. It felt forced and not like me. Oddly, when I try it now, it kind of feels nice to connect to something that's traditionally feminine and that can make nice gifts for people that will make them happy, which is also a highly feminine sort of thing. I'm not sure if the change is age or just it being my idea. Or maybe it's just a change in circumstances and my wanting something to do with my hands while I watch television other than checking my phone incessantly. My sister caught the bug long ago and knits and quilts, so maybe I'm just the last one to catch on.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:03 pm

I've been doing very little crafting lately, due to a sudden lack of time (hopefully that'll improve over the next month or so as my current temp gig doesn't have a massive commute attached like the last one).

But I HAVE been putting some hard work into my sketchbook.  I want to finally get some actual skills in working with colour and shadow.  Slow-going so far, but I've finally started producing stuff that I feel shows improvement. (Apologies for size)

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1911209_10153069487988410_8101478516330669959_o
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1557346_10153069488338410_263111639171712580_o
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 10927170_10153076206448410_1568307000409881694_o
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 10841951_10153076206618410_8693511132589987171_o

Also some attempts to get better at sketching from life QUICKLY, as I have a bad habit of spending way too long on every single sketch.
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 10269441_10153100741498410_3884358602843972124_n
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1506770_10153100741253410_853427477175362313_n
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 10947342_10153100741238410_2984582182270688234_n

I'm planning on picking up a big sketch pad - something A3 or A2 size, ideally, since all of this is being done in a tiny, cramped A5 sketchbook, which limits the level of detail I can achieve with chunky graphite and fingers covered in pencil dust.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:39 pm

That's awesome, Bunny! I especially like second and third ones.

I'm starting up my plans to draw something everyday after work today. I got one of those Surface Pro 3 tablets and it's much more intuitive to use than my Wacom, even if I love that thing. I'm not all that good, but drawing something everyday should help that, I hope.

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:46 am

That's what I've been trying to do, myself! Draw something every day, even if it's just a silly little cartoon creature, and actively work on things I am not currently good at. For reference, a year ago my attempts to work with shadow looked like this:

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1559362_10152228401538410_866982744_o
Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 1522203_10152236754168410_1343803206_n

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:00 am

You've definitely improved over the year, that's for sure.

I've really just started so drawing anything is good for me at this point. To many random character design ides that need out of my head.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 12, 2015 3:27 am

Obviously I'm very much a beginner and this is far from perfect, but this is really substantial progress from not being able to hold the hook a couple days ago, so I'm sort of proud of myself.

Idle hands are the devil's playthings: The DIY/craft thread! - Page 2 ?ui=2&ik=ad28a65629&view=fimg&th=14b7c746bb909eb8&attid=0
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum