NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Better Call Saul

4 posters

Go down

Better Call Saul Empty Better Call Saul

Post by bomaye Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:20 pm

We're three episodes in, what do you think?
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Better Call Saul Empty Re: Better Call Saul

Post by Gman Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:49 pm

It's exactly what I wanted - the "breaking bad" TV estetics (camera angles, editing, pacing) with a, so far, pretty cool origins story :-)
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:28 pm

I only caught part of one and am going to binge at a friend's house this weekend. From what I saw, though, liking it!
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:02 pm

It's on my DVR. I've heard good things and am gearing up to watch all the episodes.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:31 am

I've enjoyed it so far, "Jimmy McGill" is a pretty entertaining guy.

Though, I will say that everyone seems to have had at least one of the pretentious montages annoy them, and three episodes in and the story is moving really slowly. They're at a bit of a disadvantage in that we (or maybe just I) sort of want Jimmy McGill to become Saul ASAP and they're taking their time doing it.

Shot beautifully and amazing sound work though. Sound may seem like a minor thing, but to me, you can really tell a show is taking itself seriously by how deep and distinct the sounds are.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:26 am

See, I like the slow pace. We all know he becomes Saul in the end, so the whole point is the journey. Rush it and there is no story. To me the whole show is interesting because we know the ending, so no rush to find out what happens. It is all about why and how.

I agree that is is beautifully filmed. I had not noticed the sound, but the lighting is great. I wonder if the rich colors will stay or if they will wash out?
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:55 am

reboot wrote:See, I like the slow pace. We all know he becomes Saul in the end, so the whole point is the journey. Rush it and there is no story. To me the whole show is interesting because we know the ending, so no rush to find out what happens. It is all about why and how.

To a point I agree. But it sort of seems like Saul got into a lot of hijinx as Saul long before Walter White ever walked through his door, and we're only getting small hints of what eventually turns Slippin Jimmy into Saul, which makes "Saul" feel really far off rather than something in the near future.

I wonder if the rich colors will stay or if they will wash out?

It could be a thematic thing, the opening shot was post-Breaking Bad and all black-and-white
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Mar 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Oh yea physics, I have so much to say on this!

Not to spoiler, but the episode where Mike's history is explained.... Wow!

Love the friendship between Kim and Jimmy/Saul. It is nice to see a real woman/man friendship on TV that is believable and not being set up as a relationship.

The electromagnetic fields thing.

The Kettlemen's.....
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:08 am

So I guess this is the anti Breaking Bad? BrBa was "what turns an honest man dishonest?", CalSal is "what keeps a dishonest man honest?"
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:19 am

bomaye wrote:So I guess this is the anti Breaking Bad? BrBa was "what turns an honest man dishonest?", CalSal is "what keeps a dishonest man honest?"

Or maybe what makes someone show their true personality? Because I never felt that Walter White was honest, he lied to himself and others about why he left his start up and became a teacher (e.g. blaming his partners and Skyler's pregnancy). He was always Heisenberg.

Saul/Jimmy is always honest in a weird way and wants what was best for his clients, with a tendency to do the right thing the wrong way for the right reasons, or something?

reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum