NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

SJW Solidarity

+3
Wondering
Enail
reboot
7 posters

Go down

SJW Solidarity Empty SJW Solidarity

Post by reboot Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:45 am

This is a spot to recognize, honor, and spread the word about different social justice campaigns worldwide. Post links to groups you admire, events you want to raise awareness about, and issues you want to see more activism around

In China

In Rusdia

In Canada

In the US
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

SJW Solidarity Empty Re: SJW Solidarity

Post by Enail Mon Apr 06, 2015 12:06 pm

In Canada

Also in Canada

In Uganda

I'm not sure if this counts as a social justice issue or not, but I think it's related, at least: Worldwide (endangered languages)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:22 pm

In the US (and also Canada).

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Mon Apr 06, 2015 2:30 pm

Anti mental health stigma campaign

I'm participating in this--and part of me is saying "wear a t-shirt identifying myself as someone who has/had a struggle with mental health issues for one day? Like that's going to do anything." But the rest of me still feels really terrified, and wondering if I'm going to chicken out on the actual day... Which probably is a testimony to how important this is, at least as a first step.

Anyway, I think it would be cool if other forum members participated--strength and solidarity in numbers!

The t-shirts are free (provided by the nonprofit organization, no corporate sponsorship) and they pay for shipping.

Yeah, so as I said, I think it would be really cool if other forum members would be willing to participate in this. Even if you don't make it public, I think it would help me feel less shy and scared about doing it. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Apr 06, 2015 3:10 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:Anti mental health stigma campaign

I'm participating in this--and part of me is saying "wear a t-shirt identifying myself as someone who has/had a struggle with mental health issues for one day? Like that's going to do anything." But the rest of me still feels really terrified, and wondering if I'm going to chicken out on the actual day... Which probably is a testimony to how important this is, at least as a first step.

Anyway, I think it would be cool if other forum members participated--strength and solidarity in numbers!

The t-shirts are free (provided by the nonprofit organization, no corporate sponsorship) and they pay for shipping.

Yeah, so as I said, I think it would be really cool if other forum members would be willing to participate in this. Even if you don't make it public, I think it would help me feel less shy and scared about doing it. Smile

I am in!
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Me too! Plus, I can never have enough free t-shirts!
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:11 pm

It says they're sold out, though :/
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:06 pm

Women on Waves which is multi-country. Ever since I first heard about I've thought it was basically the coolest thing ever.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Corvero Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm not sure if this counts as a social justice issue or not, but I think it's related, at least: Worldwide (endangered languages)

I'm very happy to see support for this project. I took (a small) part in it when I was completing my Masters. And I think that it definitely count as a social justice issue. Language preservation is strongly related to the preservation of cultures and to fighting oppression in many parts of society.

Linguistic minorities are often subject to ethnocide and cultural genocide. Linguistic discrimination is definitely still happening in many parts of the world (although at least some people now see it as a bad thing and not as "education"), and its consequences on the lives of those who belong to a culture which is not privileged are devastating.

People who belong to minority languages are frequently isolated from having a representation in governments who support an "official language" and often this means that they're subject to laws they don't understand and aren't explained to them, that they are discriminated against in the legal system, in the workplace, in places of cult, in politics and of course in education.

Speakers of endangered languages are many times erased from the public discourse simply because they can't get their voice heard. The Endangered Language Project gives them a space to get noticed by the world.
Andrew Corvero
Andrew Corvero

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:40 am

Not quite social justice (although arguably disparate access to landmine free existence and TB diagnosis could be considered a social justice issue), but I love this group for so many reasons.

On a more on topic note, indigenous people's rights are a passion of mine and they are under threat everywhere
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun May 03, 2015 1:14 pm

I have become increasingly involved in the anti-human trafficking movement. The focus in the media is on sex trafficking because it is more titillating and brothel owners and pimps have no lobbyists, but most people are trafficked as labor
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum