NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nuking online dating profile take 2

4 posters

Go down

Nuking online dating profile take 2 Empty Nuking online dating profile take 2

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:56 pm

Since my first attempt was LOCKED!!... I am rephrasing the question.

Should I delete my OKCupid profile or overhaul it? It has not received a single reply to a message in 2 years. Also (To answer Werel and Reboot) I have not posted a picture except my profile pic, I am not confident in the way I look (I look hideous). I try to minimize the interests posted on the profile since my interests scare potential dates away.

So I ask again, Should I cut my losses and nuke the profile or overhaul it to improve my chances?

P.S. If I have to over haul it, I am tempted to lie on my profile to at least get 1 reply (I know it's a jerk move but I am desperate.)

Last edited by Alex1989 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Nuking online dating profile take 2 Empty Re: Nuking online dating profile take 2

Post by Dannyboy Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:15 pm

If you are going to do online dating you NEED a photo. You're probably not nearly as unattractive as you think you are, and if are, well, at least post a photo that shows off your personality. If you don't want to do this, don't do online dating, photoless profiles are basically invisible to the vast, vast majority. If you feel more comfortable asking girls out in public, I'd suggest you do that.

Last edited by Dannyboy on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Nuking online dating profile take 2 Empty Re: Nuking online dating profile take 2

Post by Enail Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:26 pm

I think most people won't respond to or message someone who doesn't have profile pics or much content, so if you don't want to change those aspects, I'm not sure it's doing you any good to keep it up.

By the way, Alex, could you tone down the snark about being moderated? I know it's not fun  getting restrictions, but that's part of life on a moderated forum, so we ask that everyone accept as the cost of participating in this forum that sometimes they will need to follow moderators' instructions even when they'd rather not.

(And Dannyboy, I know you mean well and I appreciate the thought, but we really prefer to leave it to the moderators to enforce instructions - things can get messy when everyone's jumping in!)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:28 pm

Sorry, Enail, I should've thought before posting that.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:29 pm

No worries! Smile
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:30 pm

I agree on the pictures. I always assumed a profile without a picture was someone who was cheating or some kind of bot/fake profile
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:33 pm

[quote="Enail"]I think most people won't respond to or message someone who doesn't have profile pics or much content, so if you don't want to change those aspects, I'm not sure it's doing you any good to keep it up.

[b]By the way, Alex, could you tone down the snark about being moderated? I know it's not fun  getting restrictions, but that's part of life on a moderated forum, so we ask that everyone accept as the cost of participating in this forum that sometimes they will need to follow moderators' instructions even when they'd rather not.
[/b]
(And Dannyboy, I know you mean well and I appreciate the thought, but we really prefer to leave it to the moderators to enforce instructions - things can get messy when everyone's jumping in!)[/quote]

Check your PM.

Last edited by Alex1989 on Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:37 pm

[quote="reboot"]I agree on the pictures. I always assumed a profile without a picture was someone who was cheating or some kind of bot/fake profile[/quote]

I posted a profile pic already, I did not upload anymore pics. I say again: I ONLY posted ONE photo, my PROFILE photo, I DID NOT upload anymore pics.

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:42 pm

Well, would you be willing to post your profile here? Because without seeing the profile, there's not much advice I can give.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:43 pm

Maybe before you decide to nuke it or not, put the link in the OLD review thread. I am going to lay odds on some of us here having enough Spanish to muddle through it.

You might want to add more pics because another hallmark of a fake profile is only having one picture. Not as suspicious as no pictures, but still can result in a side eye
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:44 pm

So to be clear, have people had access to your profile pic all along, or is that a recent change?

lonelyoffices

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:49 pm

[quote="lonelyoffices"]So to be clear, have people had access to your profile pic all along, or is that a recent change?[/quote]

The pic was there since the profile was made.

Back to top Go down

Post by lonelyoffices Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:53 pm

Alex1989 wrote:
lonelyoffices wrote:So to be clear, have people had access to your profile pic all along, or is that a recent change?

The pic was there since the profile was made.

Then along the lines of what reboot suggested, maybe a second pic would be good. If the first was more of a close up, then maybe one while you're active would be good, or vice versa. It would seem both more authentic and portray you as more well rounded.

lonelyoffices

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:56 pm

[quote="reboot"]Maybe before you decide to nuke it or not, put the link in the [b]OLD review thread[/b]. I am going to lay odds on some of us here having enough[b] [/b]Spanish to muddle through it.

You might want to add more pics because another hallmark of a fake profile is only having one picture. Not as suspicious as no pictures, but still can result in a side eye[/quote]
Note: It's in English, so...

Ok, but I am really nervous on what people will say... :oops:

I don't have many pics of myself, I hate the way I look, I am too camerashy... shyer than Fluttershy...

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:59 pm

No need to be nervous, we won't bite. Hell, for all you know you might get a few compliments Smile

And I totally understand being camerashy, I look horrible in photos myself. If you have the money, getting some kind of professional photograph done can do wonders.

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:33 pm

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

I HAVE NOT SEEN MY PROFILE IN SIX MONTHS, AFTER OPENING IT FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 180 DAYS I. GOT. 2. MESSAGES!!!!!!
cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck Lovestruck cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

Post by Dannyboy Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:38 pm

That's awesome, now go out there and start up some conversations!

Dannyboy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:48 pm

[quote="Dannyboy"]That's awesome, now go out there and start up some conversations![/quote]
I already posted a link to my profile on the OLD advice thread. check it out and please be gentle...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum