NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Color Combos!

+5
kath
Conreezy
Enail
eselle28
reboundstudent
9 posters

Go down

Color Combos! Empty Color Combos!

Post by reboundstudent Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:19 pm

I have a friend's wedding coming up. I am making this dress:

Color Combos! F27a7aec00e949381733c5f75a178fbf

in this fabric. (It's a teal midweight chambray from Cali Fabrics):
Color Combos! Fabric_14129__76585.1416008444.1280.1280

I'm playing around with accessories; shoes, nail polish, and make-up. I think for make-up, I'm going to go for shimmery gold eye shadow and pink lips.

For nails I'm also thinking of going pink or coral. What do you guys think of these? (Sobert from Jamberry Nails)
Color Combos! MUszNA==

I'm also uncertain of shoes. Should I look for shoes that match the color of the dress? The other options I'm considering are pink, navy blue, or white.

What do you guys think? I was thinking of a color palette of teal, pink, gold and brown (being as I'm a brunette), but would you maybe suggest any changes? Thanks!
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Color Combos! Empty Re: Color Combos!

Post by eselle28 Sun Sep 06, 2015 3:25 pm

Oh, that'll be really good color on you. The pink you posted goes well with it too. I might go with beige or tan shoes rather than darker brown, because you're working with really muted colors and I think that might fit the tones. Definitely don't try to match the dress! I think you'll struggle to find anything that's just the right shade, and even if you did, I think it might come off as being too bridesmaidy.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:39 pm

I like the pink too. I know nothing about shoes and matching/not-matching, but I agree with Eselle that a lighter shade might be better than a dark brown.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Shoes: beige, tan, maybe even burgundy for a "darker" look.

Nails: coral for a brighter look.

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 am

I may be a bad person to ask about this, because I tend LOVE bright colour combos (my philosophy is if it's saturated and not too dark it goes together) - but I think gold shoes would make a great pairing, and then you would have gold shoes! Gold shoes might be hard to find though.

I dislike navy in general, and I think it might look indistinguishable from the teal ... sort of like you intended them to match and then they didnt.

A pink-and-white shoe, or maybe white shoe in cutout type material (depending on season and like ... whether you'd ever wear it again). I also think coral shoes would look great. What's your nylons/tights plan? Bare legs?

Oh oh! MODCLOTH SHOPPING.

These cream bootie heels would be wicked: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-heels/dance-it-up-heel-in-cream - also come in dove grey.

I also think this would look GREAT but may not be what you're going for: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-heels/proud-panache-heel

Here are some very simply, VERY CORAL heels: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-heels/in-a-classic-of-its-own-heel-in-coral

And here's a nice coral/white pair: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-heels/botanic-fanatic-heel - the two patterns (nails and shoes) would be a cool contrast.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by ChrissyOrig Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:43 pm

reboundstudent wrote:I have a friend's wedding coming up. I am making this dress: in this fabric. (It's a teal midweight chambray from Cali Fabrics):
I'm playing around with accessories; shoes, nail polish, and make-up. I think for make-up, I'm going to go for shimmery gold eye shadow and pink lips.
For nails I'm also thinking of going pink or coral. I'm also uncertain of shoes. Should I look for shoes that match the color of the dress? The other options I'm considering are pink, navy blue, or white. What do you guys think? I was thinking of a color palette of teal, pink, gold and brown (being as I'm a brunette), but would you maybe suggest any changes? Thanks!

May be too late for this, haven't logged in for awhile. BUT...I would encourage you to look into using coral for your contrast color. The most-used color combination in advertising is a blue + orange combination that is similar to teal/coral. It's used on magazine covers frequently because it's been tested to be the most eye-catching color combination. If you want to catch eyes, this might be the way to go!

ChrissyOrig

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:25 pm

kath wrote:
Here are some very simply, VERY CORAL heels: http://www.modcloth.com/shop/shoes-heels/in-a-classic-of-its-own-heel-in-coral

OMG I LOVE THEM.

Aaaaaaaand, bought. :-) It's two weeks to the wedding, so plenty of time for them to ship!

My natural tendency is to match colors, but I'm trying to be a little bolder in my fashion choices. So it looks like teal dress, gold accessories, pink+cream nails, and coral shoes. Hopefully it'll all come together.

Thank you to everyone for the suggestions! One of the perks of sewing is getting to choose your own colors, and I have had so much fun with that aspect. :-D
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Btw, which version of that dress are you doing, A, B, C, or D?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:05 pm

Wondering wrote:Btw, which version of that dress are you doing, A, B, C, or D?

C Smile
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:23 pm

That's definitely the one I'd want to wear. Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Sep 15, 2015 2:44 am

If you're up for it I'd love to see pictures!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Sep 15, 2015 11:16 am

kath wrote:If you're up for it I'd love to see pictures!

Absolutely! Though at the moment I'm struggling with the bust.... for some reason I'm getting, uh, "bubbles" over the nipple line, instead of a nice, smooth curve. Hoping I can figure out how to correct it so I can actually wear the darn thing.... Laughing
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:40 pm

Didn't get a high-quality photo, but the dress turned out pretty well. The shoes were perfect (sadly didn't appear in photo), gorgeous and fun splash of contrasting color. Wasn't perfect (little too tight in the middle, and didn't have time to add hook/eye so zipper kept coming undone near the end of the night), but I got some nice compliments on it, so overall pretty pleased!

Color Combos! 11856745_1496385003988809_1653400259_n
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:47 pm

That is a really flattering cut on you! Gives you a bit of the hourglass thing. And the dress looks great Smile
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:06 pm

Ooh, that looks great!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:39 pm

That looks great!! :>
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:08 am

Love it!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 am

It's gorgeous on you! That's a great color on you, and I think you might want to remember that general cut too, because it's very prety.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:01 am

YAAAAY looks so awesssome!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content