NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How good are you at reading people?

+15
Dan_Brodribb
Hirundo Bos
kleenestar
Nerdator
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboot
Werel
UristMcBunny
readertorider
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
eselle28
Enail
Gentleman Johnny
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

How good are you at reading people? Empty How good are you at reading people?

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:56 pm

I saw this on a friend's Facebook and thought it might be useful/fun for people. Its in the standard format of those silly quizzes but this one is actually a useful test of how well you can read fairly standard facial expressions.
http://www.playbuzz.com/margottouitou10/how-observant-are-you-really

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

How good are you at reading people? Empty Re: How good are you at reading people?

Post by Enail Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:59 pm

I got 'incredibly observant.' ...I think this test might be way too easy.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

How good are you at reading people? Empty Re: How good are you at reading people?

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:05 pm

I am apparently incredibly observant (note: I am not really, like kind of not at all).
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:13 pm

Is there more than one possible result for this "quiz"?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:15 pm

Found a couple more:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/03/well-quiz-the-mind-behind-the-eyes/?_r=0
http://socialintelligence.labinthewild.org/mite/

Edit: Pretty sure these are the same test. The latter gives you specific feedback on which ones you got wrong.

Edit Edit: However the second one has a nice bell curve chart of how well everyone else did.

Last edited by Gentleman Johnny on Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:20 pm

This time I got a 29, which is in the normal zone. This bit wasn't scored, but I noticed most of my wrong guesses were younger-looking male faces, which is kind of an interesting trend.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:41 pm

I got 33/36 on that last one, which seems a fair ways above average. I'm skeptical, especially given how many of the expressions I thought weren't well-described by any of the options.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Enail, I had that problem, too. Its a lot easier to read someone when you only have four choices. Smile

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:19 pm

32/36, but some expressions where repeated with different phrases around it, right?

Still, this is pretty heartening.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:21 pm

26 is the average but I shouldn't be surprised that people who spend significant portions of their spare time discussing social calibration do better than average. I'd be curious to see how some of our more. . .special. . .commenters on DNL Prime do.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:50 pm

Got 29 this time, which is better than the median but apparently equal to the mode. Then I took the NYT version to see which ones I was getting wrong and... there isn't much of a pattern there, that I can see.

I wonder how the (general, statistical) results would shift if there were any men making "flirtatious" or "interested" or "confident" expressions, or if that was even a possible choice on some of these. Same for female eyes being "thoughtful" or "friendly" or "hostile", or young eyes being "pensive".
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:54 pm

Yeah, I found that the expressions were rather gendered, and the women in particular were not terribly expressive.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 pm

I noticed there seemed to be a lot of women making flirting or fantasizing faces. I wasn't sure if that was because the choices had stereotypes underlying them or because that's an expression that people are more prone to misreading and was meant to sort out the pretty good at reading people folks from the really good ones.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:58 pm

Although the women did tend to have gendered options, I also found in the NYT version that about 50% of the time, the flirty/romantic one was a possible answer but the wrong one. Those are the ones I'm curious to see how guys did, if there's any correlation between over/under reading romantic intent and various Nice Guy or douchebag attitudes.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:09 pm

I got a 29--wish I knew though if they were giving the person facing them that expression or if they felt that way towards the person they were glancing at. Also wanted more choices for the descriptions.

Tried doing it again mimicking the expressions myself and picking what I felt while making the expressions and got a 22--I may be a little weirdly calibrated Smile

Did notice that "flirting"/"fantasizing" appeared a lot more often for women as an option. I kinda liked the idea that the researchers were party interested in whether certain people had a hard time reading women's signals
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:50 pm

I got 30... I swear quite a few of those pictures were repeated.

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:32 pm

Huh, 30/36. I'm with you, Enail-- in a lot of cases, none of the options felt quite right. Weirdly, I found the women's eyes with heavy makeup (especially pencilled eyebrows) harder to read, like the cosmetics were overriding some of the micro-data you might otherwise get from eyes. Difficulty was also compounded the urge to hypercorrect for society and never select "flirtatious" or "fantasizing." Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:47 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:I'd be curious to see how some of our more. . .special. . .commenters on DNL Prime do.

Heh. I got 32/36, which makes me happy and relieved, but only tentatively because I'm sure this doesn't translate well to real-life. (The irony that I've got similar scores to those of you with social lives is sweet rofl)

Oh, I got "incredibly observant" too. Why yes, I would like to be a detective someday Loopy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:59 pm

Incredibly observant and 33/36

Did anyone else find it weird that in the NYT quiz all the older eyes belonged to men?
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:37 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:26 is the average  but I shouldn't be surprised that people who spend significant portions of their spare time discussing social calibration do better than average. I'd be curious to see how some of our more. . .special. . .commenters on DNL Prime do.

Hey, we shouldn't equate being an asshole with having more difficulty reading people's facial expressions-- particularly since, as a lot of people have pointed out, most street harassers and similar types do what they do because they're bullies know exactly how it makes people feel, and want to hurt them. The people who have the hardest time reading the emotions of others aren't neurotypical, and they (we? but I scored a 29 on this and seem to have gotten better at this range of tasks over the past few years...) have enough shit to deal with without people stereotyping them as misogynists or sociopaths.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:41 am

19 of 36.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:05 am

I found that the way I got the best results was to picture the expression of each choice independent of the photo and see which matched. I am curious if men on average read more flirty and guys who are afraid to approach read less flirty than is actually there.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:14 pm

Got 21 right. While the test is obviously a textbook case of raging bollocks – I mean, on the individual level and in uncontrolled conditions, some of the pictures were really blank and inexpressive, especially old people and women.
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:22 pm

Nerdator wrote:Got 21 right. While the test is obviously a textbook case of raging bollocks – I mean, on the individual level and in uncontrolled conditions, some of the pictures were really blank and inexpressive, especially old people and women.

Really? I found the old people the easiest to read.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerdator Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:34 pm

reboot wrote:
Nerdator wrote:Got 21 right. While the test is obviously a textbook case of raging bollocks – I mean, on the individual level and in uncontrolled conditions, some of the pictures were really blank and inexpressive, especially old people and women.

Really? I found the old people the easiest to read.

Yep, I answered randomly to a couple of them – they're just staring at you from the picture: I've seen cats more expressive than that.
Nerdator
Nerdator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum