NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Year Wrap-Up thread

+10
Wondering
waxingjaney
eselle28
The Wisp
Gentleman Johnny
BasedBuzzed
Enail
reboot
nearly_takuan
Gman
14 posters

Go down

2014 Year Wrap-Up thread Empty 2014 Year Wrap-Up thread

Post by Gman Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:53 am

Hey all,
So being the lazy and procrastinating person that I am, instead of finishing up some final touches on my paper that is due this Wednesday, I started thinking about the year that is about to end. Thought it would be appropriate to create a new thread where the people of this forum can look back and think about all that has happened to them this year, both good & bad, both big events and tiny moments of victory and share them here if they wish to do so. So as always, I would like to share my 2014 year summary thoughts.

Well, I have to say that for me, 2014 was clearly one of the most important years of my life so far. It was a year where I both entered – and left - my first relationship in my life. What surprises me the most about it is how, when I think about it in retrospect, I got extremely lucky when it comes to first times in this area, both on the physical and emotional level. It was really balanced, positive and in general an amazing time. It was far from perfect, but I am really happy that my take away from that entire experience was mostly positive. I am REALLY hopeful about the future right now – a little scared too… the only problem for me now, is that whenever I feel like I want something new – my brain automatically creates a highlight reel of the fun moments me and my ex had and how it felt…….

Other major events – well there are quite a few. During the last summer, I got my first actual job ever, in my field of study, as a student intern in a company that works in the field of GIS. While I was extremely grateful for having the opportunity working there, I was also a little disappointed from it because my job there wasn't what I was expecting it to be… but hopefully future jobs would be more integrating and supportive, once I am through with University. Heck I even managed to squeeze some extra work from home after I left to focus on my university studies once the new academic year started around September. They contacted me, asking if I can keep working on a few more stuff from home. That's probably a good sign that they saw me as a productive employee and a good sign for any future job prospects.

University aspects – this year marks the end of my B.A. in Geography and East Asia Studies and the beginning of my M.A. studies in Geography with specialization in Urban Planning. I only recently realized that it's kind of unusual to finish a B.A. and hop straight into an M.A. right away. So far, I can see that M.A. studies are much more flexible than B.A. studies as far as time management goes, at least where I study.

Dancing aspects – well, I am still dancing just as strongly as ever. This year was the year where my dancing focus turned from salsa dancing to bachata dancing. It's not that I completely abandoned the first, it's just that I am finding myself more connected to the other style. I also kind of feel that I am treading water in my dance, and that my dancing skill isn't improving as much as I want it to.
I attended some local festivals – but come this march, I am about to attend a big bachata festival in Milano, Italy – so there is one reason why I am excited about 2015 :-).

There are a few more things that I could probably write about here, but I think that this post is long enough as is. Here is to a better year than the one that came before it – for everyone out there! Happy New Year!

P.S. – don't forget to party hard like this bunny here :-)

http://gifsound.com/?gif=https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/8327280128/h3E8CB27E/&v=9t6Suxax26A
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

2014 Year Wrap-Up thread Empty Re: 2014 Year Wrap-Up thread

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:01 am

For me 2014 has been the worst year yet, which in a way I suppose reflects the ways my life is still mostly okay.

I lost my job early in the year, and haven't had any income since, but thanks to careful budgeting and the fact that I made a lot of money in previous years, I'm still paying my own rent and feeding myself, and that's something, I suppose.

I've kept pretty busy, too, all things considered. Unemployment is not the best circumstance under which to go looking for a date, but there was little else to spend my time on; I applied for so many jobs, but there's a pretty narrow range of work I'm actually well qualified to do.

It might still turn out okay, too; I'm still waiting to hear back from several companies, but that fact alone gives me some hope: we're far enough along that no news isn't necessarily bad news.

Still, I can't escape the thought that financially, socially, and romantically, 1 Jan 2015 looks identical to 1 June 2012. From middle school until this year, I had always had some at least somewhat special achievement to look back on at the end of a year, something in addition to the expected general advancements through whatever stage of life. But this time I have nothing. I can't help but feel that the last two years of my life were ultimately wasted: the sum of my efforts this year have amounted to less than nothing, because I could not stop the undoing of the previous twenty months, and I have nothing else to show for it.

I'm not a better person than I was. I know more, but I'm not smarter. I'm more of a pessimist. I'm more cynical. I trust less. Once I hated nothing; now I hate nothing in particular. I care only just enough to make the observation that I probably ought to care a bit more.

The world is warmer now than before, more so than a lot of people realize. And for me it's also colder and darker. Things I always knew about the world have come further into the light, and I'd feel better about being vindicated if I thought it would be enough. Instead I'm just angry, because of all that it took for these things to be revealed, and doubly so because I know it's not enough. Triply so because as much as I hated 2014, I survived, and some others did not.

Two and a half years ago, I had hope. Now I cling desperately to a lingering doubt that things are as bad as I think.

Happy new year.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:35 am

2014 was a decent year for me. I finally shook off the lingering damage to my psyche from my divorce and stepped out of my wound licking cave to try and set up a temporary life in AZ.

The good: reached out socially and made connections to many cool people locally, sold the albatross and finally had all ties cut to ex, started rebuilding some savings for retirement, started out with a couch surfer friend (technically a bed surfer since I live in a studio with no couch) and ended up with a fabulous friend-roommate.

The same: still like my job despite some headaches (and an awful executive director), have awesome pets and a very extensive and supportive (if geographically scattered) friend network

The less than ideal: possibility of an ovarian cyst becoming something worse and not enough money for surgery, gave up on the idea of dating or having sex again which makes me sad (and horny), probably can not do any long-term fieldwork again because of having the awesome pets.

In the end, more positives than negatives.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:24 am

It's been kind of a wild ride for me in 2014.

Got a new job, which I'm holding onto and enjoying fairly well after 10+ months.

Divorced my husband of 10 years.

Sold a house, moved in with my parents, taking the three kids with me.

Launched a dating adventure.

Rediscovered self-confidence, sexiness, and a real person at the bottom of my self-restricted identity as "software engineer" and "mom."

Started a real relationship with a guy who actually has his shit together.

Hopefully 2015 holds more growth (and a new house).

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:49 am

Good riddance to this year. I'm just going to leave it at that.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:56 pm

2014 was the year for coming to terms with the comfort of mediocrity and finding peace with being a selfish person who doesn't add much to the world.

Finding rock 'n roll dancing was a wonderful hobby, and for some reason they want me on as a tutor(which means a refresher course that will stamp out the remaining flaws and aid in bein a better lead).

Studies are finally up to pace again after grinding boards/committees and other side activities.

Won a couple of writing contests, ranging from one-off slogan bullshit to longer opinion columns, which shows I should focus on low-tier investment stuff.

Getting laid capacity is up by 300%, still somewhat bungling. Sooner or later I want to try NoFap and see if it boost the barrier-breaking a bit more.

Start feeling hopelessly underqualified for a lot of stuff, but can now differ between Impostor Syndrome and accurate perception.

All in all, some progress that doesn't really feel like progress, but whatevs, I enjoy my life.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:47 pm

I count my years November to November because of the show schedule. So let's see. . . the show itself went from an idea and three supporters to a monster. Photo shoots, four major shows, full video and uniforms. We just picked up four new members with another two possible after the holidays. Our first real merchandise push got almost double what I expected and we may have to make another run. We've incorporated, although I still have to get the non-profit fiscal sponsorship set up. We've got the money for a tour bus but my lead on it dried up, so I have to chase down another one. Our mailing address is the local witchcraft/root shop where I've been really welcomed by the community.

Got some friends to put together a care package for a kid in North Carolina who was bullied until he wound up in the hospital in critical condition because he likes My Little Pony. I tracked down his dad on Facebook, found out we had friends in common and have been talking to them on and off ever since.

Went from aching over a breakup to dating several people on and off. Most didn't work out but I've been seeing someone with a difficult schedule infrequently for most of this year. We swapped Mysterious Package Company experiences for Christmas. Got back on good enough term with my ex after some nuclear time that she's back to being my right hand with the show. I can do it without her but e work much better together than not.

Got laid off, got a job at a better place for the same pay getting experience in a programming language that's more premium in the Vegas area.

Went to therapy. Graduated out when I just didn't have anything to ask for help on.

Called my dad for the first time in 15 years, which squared away the last of my Big Issues.

Moved to a new and much cooler place closer to work. Love the house, love my new roommate.

Later this week: check out the Parkour gym and sign up for classes.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Hmmm... 2014. This year seemed to be a really long feeling one when I think back on it. At the start of the year, I hadn't discovered Doctor Nerdlove, I was still at community college, I thought I was going to be a math or economics major when I transferred to university and didn't even think of grad school in any discipline, I had just started seeing my new therapist, my anxiety was through the roof (daily panic attacks with no triggers)... my life feels so different now, and yet in other ways it feels dreadfully the same.

The past few months have been very sobering. I'm realizing how fucked up I really am, how far away I am from many of my social goals, and how difficult it really is. I'm not sure where to go from here. University was supposed to be the place to get a social life, and yet it's not happening. I feel like I've grown so much this past year, yet I part of that growth has been waking up to how damaged I really am, how my wants conflict with my psychology, and how it's not clear where I go from here. Dating, sex, socializing, loneliness... on these topics I have a very grim feeling going into the new year.

I've never been one to not be hopeful about my future at some level. I'm still hopeful, but much less so than I have been in a long time.

Outside of the social sphere, however, things have been drawn into sharper focus. I fell in love in philosophy and want to go to grad school in it now. I realized that I can be an excellent writer when I put my effort into a piece. I'm finding that I'm not able to put as much effort into these as I want outside of school work, however.

Both my gaming computer (which I built myself) broke down, as did my school laptop. Luckily I got a free warranty on the latter that is still valid. I got my hands on a Wii U and all the awesome games on it. My favorite Mexican restaurant closed down. With my father traveling 4 days a week for work, and my brother living in dorms, my house is a lot quieter, which is a good thing. I started and stopped going on long walks daily. I lost and then, at the last minute, regained my college study habits. The Broncos had their humiliating Super Bowl loss, but at least they made it to the Super Bowl and they have a shot at making it again. The Rockies started promising but quickly slid into injured mediocrity. The CU Buffs football team sucked, though they may be good in the near future.

Finally, I got to know all of you lovely people just a little bit Smile

Overall some good things occurred, but on the most important aspects of my life I've been sobered up to the harsh reality of it all. Still, at least this year was better than my years in high school.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:11 pm

2014 was a crazy year. A second, less than fun, stint at the Australian Open started it off on a bit of a sour note. In hindsight, I didn't want to be there. But I also realise that it was important to. The entirety of 2013 was a shambles and work, even bad work, was a good fresh start.

Plans to start my Masters were put on hold when I was given me current job in February, which has defined my entire year. It's been a bit of a wild ride and a trial of fire, but I really love it. Always something different, I'm on the frontlines of a massive global project and I'm helping pioneer a lot of really cool things in Australia. Hard to not feel a little chuffed.

Of course, there's always a tradeoff. I had to intermit my Masters until 2015, but I can't physically do it and work at the same time - I've been given an offer to switch roles and go part time at work over my Masters but, long story short, it means getting back to the current stuff I do will be impossible. Current plans are to just drop out the Masters, ride out the job and see if I'll do the Masters after my contract is done. Chances are I'll be given a renewal option, so I'll have a clearer decision to make than the current one if I decide just to drop out and reapply. We'll see.

In the personal arena, not much has changed. Still single, still not even sure if I care or not. I get out a bit more and my social skills have improved, but I can't say it was a focus of this year for me. Work came first.

2015 looks good, if a little confusing right now. Once I make the final decision on job VS Masters, I'll probably feel a lot better about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:30 pm

I managed to sell my house, a very welcome relief.

Other than that, honestly, 2014 kind of sucked. Bring on 2015!
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:13 pm

Hmmm, 2014 was a year. Nothing particularly remarkable about it one way or another, except for being the midpoint between my birth and when I expect to die.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:59 pm

My baby was born this year. My baby, that we tried for for a while, was born this year. Some other stuff happened. I'm still recovering physically from the pregnancy.  But none of that really pings my radar. My baby was born this year. Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:40 am

Moved to Honolulu to start a PhD.

Packed up our two-bedroom house with a big yard, put all our furniture in a family member's barn, and moved into a 400 sq. ft apartment with a bad flea problem and higher rent than the house. Was really happy to get out of that Midwestern college town, though. Don't miss it.

Began adjusting to the shock of living thousands of miles across a vast ocean from everyone I know and love.

Began falling in love with Oahu, with the knowledge that it's not my home and can never be. I can accept that. Happy to be allowed to be here for a few years, and will do my best to tread lightly.

Began loving and hating Honolulu itself, this filthy, charming, smelly, bizarre, expensive, fascinating, idiosyncratic, massive-gulf-between-rich-and-poor, Neo Tokyo-ass city. It's so beautiful when viewed from a distance, especially at night. It's not like anyplace I've ever lived, because I have only lived in America so far.

Kept licking my wounds from losing my dream job for reporting sexual harassment. Licking your wounds on a tropical beach is a good way to do it.

Became poorer than I've ever been. No prospects for being any less poor while we live in Honolulu. I guess it's supposed to be the kind of suffering that "builds character," but I don't know if my character is any bigger or stronger. Mostly I'm just really sick of rice and beans.

Learned so much from the exceptionally talented and accomplished professors in my department, things I've always wanted to learn. Felt some pride at being part of such a group of people. Met some dedicated, passionate, fascinating students who I enjoy the company of, and some who I don't care for at all.

Got some external confirmation that I am good at my chosen field. Also faced challenges that remind me I am far from exceptionally good at my chosen field. Found further evidence that what academia will require of me, if I wish to succeed in the long term, is probably more than I'm willing to give. Experienced levels of stress which hurt me physically, and found no reason to believe that academia is likely offer me proportional recompense, either financially or otherwise. Decided to keep seeing where it takes me anyway, because what else am I going to do?

Began making concrete plans to return to the country where I do fieldwork next summer. I haven't been there for more than two years and have missed it a lot.

I have much less hope for the future than I ever have, but am a little better at living around that fact. I guess. I'm trying to find a positive spin to put on it.

I am really glad to have found these forums, interacted with these folks, and had these discussions. Y'all have been kind to me when I said problematic things, introduced me to points of view I wouldn't have found otherwise, and made me laugh. It's been a long time since I felt like part of a community online.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:19 pm

The years seem to blend into each other so it took some time to get thoughts in order.
This year I finally officially ended my long-term, long distance relationship with the one guy I've ever cared most about, but by that time I felt more relief than sadness since I had been numb for so long. We're still cool as friends, so the break off wasn't as bad as it could have been.
I made the commitment to finally learning to drive. I'm not as terrified of being in a death machine surrounded by other death machines sometimes not controlled by competent people, though I know I'm far from ready.
Nephew number three was born, this time by my other sister, and I've realized that we've all really grown up from the young girls who were in 4-H and taking Karate. It makes me feel good and bad.
I took on the full time position at my job which makes me feel more like a responsible adult and allows me to better care for my health while finally paying off debts. It's not so bad.
This year I started to shake off my inclination to keep silent and let everyone else talk about things I have an opinion in and finally began taking part in the large and controversial conversations. It's been interesting and frustrating.

I'm not looking forward to January. One of my coworkers passed away the Thursday before Christmas and in addition to how saddening it will be to not see her around anymore, our staff is now severely short to the point where there are enormous blocks of time which the rest of us can't possibly cover.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:31 pm

An eventful year.

I:

- worked a short-term contract in animation, my first regular art job (aside from the odd freelance or commission) and met a ton of really cool people there
- did another online art course
- got laid off the animation team
- joined some friends in forming a company and starting on an adventure game, which we'll be pitching for funding in the next few months
- got a new day job, also in illustration, which turned out to be relatively senior-level and also had fun coworkers; it's taught me a bunch about audience adaptation, working to spec and After Effects
- moved to Austin, which has been a fun city so far - it's given me a better welcome than Atlanta did initially
- went to two art-centered conventions this year, which were both hellaciously wonderful and have gotten me intent on starting the convention circuit and working on getting to a point where I can legitimately show at them
- did my first coffee shop hangings of my works and a gallery event show - not particularly lucrative (though I did sell some, but ultimately a net financial loss) but interesting experiences both and has gotten my name out there a bit
- connected with lots of people, some mentally, some physically, some both
- looked forward to and played a metric shit-ton of Dragon Age: Inquisition
- met someone who's really awesome so far, who apparently feels the same way, in which I am trying to ward off the "it's a trap!" wariness by just taking each day as it comes
- arranged a week-long vacation in Colorado to kick off the new year
- also just found out that I have some lumps that might need to be biopsied, so that'll be a fun thing for next year
- started thinking about whether to save up for traveling the world or getting a house. It'll be a while before I could do either, but the taste of possibility is intoxicating regardless.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:07 pm

Well I got my first job this year. That's gotta be a good thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:54 pm

For me, 2014 has been good. I've enjoyed it in itself, but even more, it has been good in terms of progress... I have worked out a lot of anxieties, learned a lot of new routines and skills, seen my energy levels raise from week to week. For some years now, I have given myself reward tokens for "things that require willpower"; 2014 saw the upper limit of such things raise from 4 to 6. For very many years, I have been a bit impaired by the lack of light in (the Norwegian) winter... Not exactly SAD, it's been cognitive more than affective. But this winter... I just haven't. And at some point during 2014, social activity (at least up to a point) stopped draining me of energy and began to stimulate me instead.

I have also made a lot of progress with emotional and interpersonal skills, a lot of it thanks to advice and support from the people on these (and the old) forums, and I'm very grateful for that.

If there's something I miss from 2014, it's to reach certain milestones... I have made progress at interactions, but not to the point where I've asked someone out. I have done a lot of writing, but haven't actually finished anything – I still don't really know what a finished project looks like. I still don't have a job. I'm still living with my mom. The progress I made last year have probably brought me closer to all those goals... But I have little sense of how much closer, it still feels immesurably far away.

I think one the first things to do in 2015 is to get a better grasp of what I actually want, and a better measure of how much I have left to do.

Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum