NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Free comic book day!

4 posters

Go down

Free comic book day! Empty Free comic book day!

Post by Prajnaparamita Sat May 02, 2015 4:52 pm

So between giveaways and sales at the two comic book stories in town, I got:

A booklet from Kodansha Comics with manga excerpts from Attack on Titan, Noragami (which looks amusing, might check that out), Vinland Saga (Vikings! Shiny/thrilled ), Inuyashiki (weird...) and Your Lie in April (meh.)

Number Thirteen (Dark Horse Comics, Robert Love and David Walker) -- eh, slick art but didn't really grab me.

Superman & Batman vs. Vampires and Werewolves --So bad, so wonderfully good.

Damian: Son of Batman -- I had a Batman fangirl raving to me recently about how amazing this comic is, and how it's a crowning jewel in the Batman cannon, and I was just like "meh, Damian's costume looks silly. Now what was so great about this art?"

Patsy Walker: Hellcat -- Haven't read this yet, but looooovveeee the manga meets art nouveau feel I'm getting from it. So pretty.

Zot! -- Ugh my new Israeli boating friend really wasn't kidding when she told me that Scott McCloud has a weakness for the sappy and sentimental. I'll build a temple to that man's artistic genius and knowledge of the form if he makes a promise to maintain a distance of ten feet from any form of fiction at all times.

Strange Girl (Image Comics, Rick Remender and Eric Nguyen) -- haven't read yet

Brave New World (which I guess is some kinda followup to DC's Infinite Crisis?) -- haven't read yet

Uncanny Avengers -- haven't read yet

Spider Gwen -- God I am loving the coloring in this one, it sort of reminds me of something off Cartoon Network, maybe Courage the Cowardly Dog with all the pinks and purples and then bursts of neon on the otherwise dark color scheme. It's just really nice to look at.

Suicide Squad Amanda Waller -- haven't read yet

Thor: God of Thunder -- you know, reading this I'm struggling to not scream at all the men who claim that male comic book characters are just as unfairly sexualized or whatever because unrealistic muscles or whatever. Because EEWWWW, GROSS!!! Does the God of Thunder infected with ringworm or tapeworm or some other kind of parasite that is eating his flesh from the inside out and now it's beginning to burst out from under his skin? I knew somebody who came back from India with that--there was this rash, and then the worm just popped out while she was on the flight home. I really hope Thor is able to see a doctor at the very least in the next issue. No

Daredevil -- haven't read yet

Inhumanity: The Superior Spiderman -- Spiderman is an Inhuman? Cool. Is Lockjaw going to show up? Oh god please let Lockjaw show up. Now that's an origin story I'd love to read! Laughing

Super Mutant Magic Academy/ Step Aside, Pops: A Hark! A Vagrant Collection (Drawn and Quanterly, this super awesome underground comic publisher that's been around forever and published some cool stuff) -- absolutely hilarious! Shiny/thrilled

The All-New, All Different Avengers/The Uncanny Inhumans -- worth it just for Kamala getting the chance to call out "AVENGERS ASSEMBLE" Live your dreams girl. Heart

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Zen and the Art of Gazebo Repair) -- Soooo great! Loved this one! rofl

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (Micro-Series featuring Applejack) -- meh Applejack Sleep

So did any of you guys hit up the stores for Free Comic Book Day? It's still not too late! What swag did ya'll come home with?

Back to top Go down

Free comic book day! Empty Re: Free comic book day!

Post by waxingjaney Sat May 02, 2015 5:59 pm

Naah, I think the world needs more old-style exploitation comics.

Content Warning: random page of violence right here.
http://www.animationresources.org/pics/crime12-big.jpg

Last edited by waxingjaney on Sat May 02, 2015 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Suika Sat May 02, 2015 7:14 pm

Wasn't anything where I live, but I don't think that there are many that I'd want to read yet though. Think I have to get through a couple of major plotlines to get a good grasp on the big twos.
Suika
Suika

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat May 02, 2015 7:32 pm

<mod>Hey WaxingJaney, could you stick a content warning or explanation or some such on your link - it's a little disconcerting to click a link and jump to such a random page of violence. Thanks! </mod>

I forgot that it was free comic book day Sad  And I was right next to one of my favourite comic stores, too!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum