NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}

5 posters

Go down

Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}  Empty Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:34 pm

I guess it's time to "surface the boat"

Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}  BHvwIQW

Now that I've surfaced, I need help making a plan for therapy, to address everything about me, including my... insecurities. Any suggestions?

Back to top Go down

Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}  Empty Re: Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}

Post by Enail Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Welcome back! I'm not much of an expert on therapy, so I don't have a lot of advice to give, but maybe it would be a good idea to think a bit about what your main concerns are and what you would like to get out of it. I imagine the first few sessions will just be background and explaining a bit about your current situation and emotional state, and that you can also ask the therapist to discuss with you what they think would be helpful to focus on to begin with and to make a realistic plan with you.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}  Empty Re: Coming up to surface... and 1 question {ADV}

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:40 pm

Enail wrote:Welcome back! I'm not much of an expert on therapy, so I don't have a lot of advice to give, but maybe it would be a good idea to think a bit about what your main concerns are and what you would like to get out of it. I imagine the first few sessions will just be background and explaining a bit about your current situation and emotional state, and that you can also ask the therapist to discuss with you what they think would be helpful to focus on to begin with and to make a realistic plan with you.

Do I have to tell him\her everything? Embarassed

I might get dirty looks... Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:43 pm

It's a therapist's job to be someone you can trust to listen to what you say without judging you. I think it's probably more helpful the more open and honest you can be, but you can always say so if you don't feel comfortable telling them something at that time. You might want to try a few different therapists if you can, so that you can choose one you feel most comfortable with.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:32 pm

Alex1989 wrote:Do I have to tell him\her everything?  Embarassed

I might get dirty looks...  Embarassed
I would've thought one of the benefits of seeing a therapist would be avoiding the dirty looks. A therapist who gets all judgey in your grill isn't a therapist worth seeing, although if you do end up with one like that, remember not to tar all therapists with the same brush.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:40 pm

You don't have to stick with the first therapist you find. Many therapists will do a preliminary intake appointment. The purpose of that is not just for them to get to know you, but for you to get to know them and see if they're someone you're comfortable working with. Therapists are all licensed medical professionals, but they are still human and the first one you get might not be a good fit for you.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Jun 18, 2015 6:09 pm

Robjection wrote:
Alex1989 wrote:Do I have to tell him\her everything?  Embarassed

I might get dirty looks...  Embarassed
I would've thought one of the benefits of seeing a therapist would be avoiding the dirty looks. A therapist who gets all judgey in your grill isn't a therapist worth seeing, although if you do end up with one like that, remember not to tar all therapists with the same brush.

Cosigned. And I guarantee that an experienced therapist has heard it all and then some. We all love to believe our problems are unique and uniquely horrible, but they very rarely are to someone whose job is to hear about problems. And if a therapist reacts in a way you do not find helpful it is because they are either a) a bad therapist or b) a bad therapist for you, not that your problems are so terrible. You fire that therapist and find a better one if this happens
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:14 pm

Ok... Now what if said therapist, good or not, refers me to another type of therapy...

My problems are not just emotional, I have a lot of insecurities  Shocked, y'know...INSECURITIES.
and anxieties, remember I am "a car with ZERO miles on the odometer"

Even trying to talk my about my "other" problems within the anonymity of a forum is not easy... Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:08 pm

Try out the other type of therapy and see if it works. All medical care is kind of trial and error since individual response to any treatment is variable
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Perlandra Sun Jun 21, 2015 8:46 pm

I've been to two therapists, one focusing on a specific practical situation, the other more of a maintenance thing. You can focus on just the areas you specifically want to work on, and build trust as you improve in those areas. I agree with the others that the therapist shouldn't be judgemental toward you, if they are, you should try to see someone else.

Perlandra

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum