NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What are you reading?

+12
sky
Hirundo Bos
CP96
KMR
readertorider
Werel
Wondering
reboot
litterature
eselle28
Caffeinated
bomaye
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What are you reading? - Page 2 Empty Re: What are you reading?

Post by Wondering Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:23 am

I am now reading Around the World in 80 Days. I guess I'm in an original sci-fi authors mood, even though this isn't exactly sci-fi.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:35 am

H-help, I'm reading the second Halo book now Uh-oh
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:41 am

I just finished Calamity, the third book in Brandon Sanderson's Post Apocalypse Superhero trilogy. Currently I'm reading Starman by Sara Douglass and once I finish that I have some Pathfinder Tales books to read.

BTW, Tim Pratt writes some of the best Pathfinder Tales books. I recommend either the Liar's Books (Liar's Blade, Liar's Island) which follows a con-man and his magical talking sword or the Alchemist books (City of the Fallen Sky, Reign of Stars) which follows somewhat socially clueless Alchemist Alaeron as he and his companions plunder forgotten locations for magical treasure.
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien Tue Mar 08, 2016 8:23 pm

Fanfiction! RthStewart on archiveofourown.org writes Narnia's Talking Animals really well. They don't think or act like humans with fur, which is excellent.

http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue May 24, 2016 5:48 pm

The Three-Body Problem by Cixin Liu was very good. Totally earned that Hugo. I think Lemminkainen recommended it on these forums a long time ago, and I finally got around to reading it and enjoyed it a lot. Thanks, dude, wherever you've gone to. Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Thu May 26, 2016 1:27 am

As a hands-free option for reading while doing chores, I am listening to The Terrible Business of Salmon and Dusk. The narrator is very good, and I enjoyed the story enough several months ago that this is my second time listening. It's a series of surreal adventures set in an alternate London.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:14 pm

N. K. Jemisin's fantasy worldbuilding is awesome. I've read "The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms" and sequel (am waiting on my library request for book 3), which is pretty smooth high fantasy/political maneuvering, and "The Fifth Season" (desperately waiting on the rest of the series), which is essentially post-apocalyptic sci-fi with ESP.

http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:29 am

Complete and Unabridged Don Quixote by Cervantes. My other forum had it as one of its monthly book-club attempt choices. It didn't win but it's a 1000 page book and I already owned it so I figured by the time they get around to it I'll probably still be reading it.

It's tickling the shit out of me. The author talks about books of the chivalry the same way Ronnie from Whomp talks about fellow weeaboos. Don Quixote is like a mix between a super autistic anime nerd and a mass shooter, and his delusions are making anime real, except it's chivalrous knight stuff instead of anime. He has a waifu who he's never met and doesn't know he exists, he fails at everything, everyone around him thinks he's fucking crazy but play along anyway. This is wonderful.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:31 am

I always have to remind myself that Cervantes was a real person and not just a character from Soul Calibur.

As for reading, a friend recommended me the Merry Gentry series by Laura K. Hamilton. First book was alright, if a little hard to follow since things happen at a strange place and there are times the book is light on explanation, but the sequels show promise. I'm also reading A Rising Thunder from David Weber' Honorverse. which continues to be really good hard sci-fi with interesting political and military conflicts.
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:57 pm

I finished off Part 1 of Don Quixote (things got really bogged down in The Inn but it was mostly enjoyable) and started Ringworld because it's part of the monthly read on another forum
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:24 pm

I just finished reading Nameless by Matthew Rossi. I can't recommend it enough. It's the story of several young adults in Rhode Island dealing with ancient plots and eldritch monsters. The characters are wonderful and complex, with great chemistry with each other. It features several awesome LGBT characters. Also, Santa Claus fights the Wild Hunt, so if you're in to that, then this is the book for you.
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum