NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

On SXSW and Harassment

3 posters

Go down

On SXSW and Harassment Empty On SXSW and Harassment

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:51 am

Are you freaking kidding me? SXSW was about to host a panel on online harassment and it just got shut down due to threats of on-site violence. Wow.

Back to top Go down

On SXSW and Harassment Empty Re: On SXSW and Harassment

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:31 am

I'd wager it's the same group of 30 or so freshman Twitter trolls who are responsible for 80 percent of all the recent "new bigoted hashtag" articles, site hacks, swattings and death/bomb threats in the nerd culture wars, with probably a core of 5 or 6 who do the actual dirty work. I dunno how long these investigations usually take: they're not stupid enough to brag in any place in which they can be identified, but they're not so careful with details of personal lives that the FBI wouldn't be able find them.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:42 am

I wish the organizers of these events would call the harasser's bluff and hold the events. I understand not doing it because of liability, but, as someone who has had more than one live bomb found at an event my employers have organized, the only way to get this shit to stop is to defy the threats.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum