NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 7 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by bomaye Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:02 am

I think she was trying to show that she's a team player and she's serious about being a journalist and not just some Flash groupie blogging about him online. She was a given a job that she sort of didn't earn, so in a way I thought she was telling the guy "I know, I didn't earn it the normal way, but I want to earn my stripes any way I can." She backed him up instead of hanging him out to dry.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:16 am

Yet she failed to show any originality, any new spin on her "colleague's" question, any real sign of initiative. Wells gave her the question, and like the pawn everyone is to him she just took the bait.

And that in itself still wouldn't be bad if her response to "what was that?" had been, say, "solidarity!" or "professionalism!" or "respect!"

But she was apparently not thoughtfully demonstrating any of those. She was just... winging it. Which is in-character for her only because her character is so consistently lame that growth/depth is somehow the more unlikely thing to happen with her.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:21 am

I still think the idea was that the guy didn't want anything to do with her, and she's trying to show him that she can be useful or helpful to him in exchange for him helping her :/
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:59 am

Shrug. Most recent episode hasn't exactly won me over either, with the whole... well. You know. At least this time I can't point to anything horribly misogynistic? But maybe that's 'cause I am peeved about other subplots.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:14 am

Sat down to watch the first episode of Outlander with the parents today. I don't know how far in we got, but we had to shut it off we found it that bad.

It's a bit of a disappointment, but I guess my parents were more looking forward to it than I was anyway.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 am

Law and Order apparently did a thing and....

Fuck. That's not for entertainment. Stop.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:56 am

Nothing problematic about having a plot about a gay man falsely accusing a woman of raping him. Nothing problematic at all /s
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:21 am

The Wisp wrote:Nothing problematic about having a plot about a gay man falsely accusing a woman of raping him. Nothing problematic at all /s

Yikes, that sounds like an awful plotline. What was that in?
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:52 am

eselle28 wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Nothing problematic about having a plot about a gay man falsely accusing a woman of raping him. Nothing problematic at all /s

Yikes, that sounds like an awful plotline. What was that in?

How to Get Away with Murder

I don't normally watch the show (I don't really watch much of any TV at the moment), but my mom had it on in the background while I was fiddling on my laptop and I started watching when I saw they had a plot about a man taking a nurse to court for raping him while he was drugged. I was excited to see such a plot on a network drama. And then... yeah... Turns out he invited her to have sex with him so he and his male lover, who happened to be the hospital's lawyer, could pocket the money won from a legal action against the hospital for the nurse's alleged rape. So the lawyers who were arguing that men could be raped by a woman were the bad guys  Side-eye
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:21 am

The Wisp wrote:
I don't normally watch the show (I don't really watch much of any TV at the moment), but my mom had it on in the background while I was fiddling on my laptop and I started watching when I saw they had a plot about a man taking a nurse to court for raping him while he was drugged. I was excited to see such a plot on a network drama. And then... yeah... Turns out he invited her to have sex with him so he and his male lover, who happened to be the hospital's lawyer, could pocket the money won from a legal action against the hospital for the nurse's alleged rape. So the lawyers who were arguing that men could be raped by a woman were the bad guys  Side-eye

I've never watched that show, but that's awful and sounds like a good reason not to. I assume it didn't even get into the issue that it's inappropriate if not illegal for a nurse to have consensual sex with a patient. Yuck.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:11 pm

Ok, it's one small thing in an otherwise great book. I just finished reading Leviathan Wakes. And in 561 pages of awesome space opera, it managed to pass the Bechdel test by exactly one conversation taking place over the course of two pages. I mean, there were a bunch of cool female characters. But it was almost like they gave off some kind of vagina-generated conversation-repellent force field that kept women from talking to each other. I'd still recommend the book to anyone who likes science fiction, but I feel a little disappointed about that one thing.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:11 am

All this good talk about ending racism, sexism, et al...

And Sean Penn had to make a frickin' green card joke. Nice job breaking it, hero.

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:54 pm

As much as I would love a new (and good) Alien movie, Neil Blomkamp just ain't the guy I want directing it.

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:25 am

I keep seeing trailers for Cinderella, and all I can think is "white white white white white WHYISEVERYONEINTHISCASTLE WHITE" every time I see it.  I grew up with films, cartoons, shows, everything like this; I can't help but feel exhausted when a new REDONE type of fairytale doesn't take advantage of the opportunity to have a diverse cast.  Like NO OTHER CULTURE has cinderella, right? /s
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:38 am

InkAndComb wrote:I keep seeing trailers for Cinderella, and all I can think is "white white white white white WHYISEVERYONEINTHISCASTLE WHITE" every time I see it.  I grew up with films, cartoons, shows, everything like this; I can't help but feel exhausted when a new REDONE type of fairytale doesn't take advantage of the opportunity to have a diverse cast.  Like NO OTHER CULTURE has cinderella, right? /s

Hmmm, you're right, this is a really good point! Cinderella is one of those folktales that has like a hundred variations from cultures around the world, right? It'd be pretty cool if they could instead make Yeh-Shen or Tam and Can and be like "Hey guys, we made that Cinderella story you know and love, but its set in China/Vietnam/anywhere other than faux medieval Europe!" Maybe they'll even have the decency to not cast white actors as the Asian main characters! (Except the villains, ya know. Gotta cast the villains as Asian because authenticity and all.)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:01 pm

I went to the theater to see Kingsman, and the movie previews were for Terminator, Jurassic Park, and Blade Runner. I don't necessarily mind sequels, but this is a bit ridiculous. I mean, it's not the 90s.

I particularly object to a Blade Runner sequel. Was anyone even asking for one?
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:47 pm

Blade Runner has a sequel? Why?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:54 pm

I just got to season 4 of Adventure Time and I can't decide if the sudden introduction of the Ooo backstory/universe-building goes in Entertainment Rants or Entertainment Joys... I like it when shit gets taken to darker and harder and more challenging places, but I also really like it when a clearly complex universe's mechanics and history are left largely unexplained and just sort of peek in around the edges of the story. And I don't know how to feel about how it alters the tone of the show. Also,
Spoiler:

Now I get why that kid at the tutoring center said she doesn't like Adventure Time after Season 4 because it gets "weird." I dunno, I guess I'll reserve judgment till I get through season 6...
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:58 pm

Wondering wrote:Blade Runner has a sequel? Why?

Well, there was a teaser for it, so apparently it will have one. I don't know why, except perhaps that when we are able to have nice things, someone inevitably mucks things up by trying to have too much of them.

It stars Harrison Ford, too, which has all kinds of implications that I'd say should have been left as they were.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:09 pm

Gah!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:14 pm

There are so many not good things about the whole idea :/
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:34 pm

Can you like a piece of media just fine, but really hate the community? Cause damn is the community of QC pissing me off. A character deciding to stop associating with people who hurt her is not controlling, "pushing others away", or "doomed to have no friends." What is up with this weird idea that a "true friend" must be absolutely accepting of other people's horrible behavior, and any kind of African violet* means you have "issues"? Dora cut out a brother she sees as self-centered and manipulative, and a friend who showed up to her job, at the coffeeshop that Dora owns, drunk. This after months, possibly years, of verbally abusing other employees and even customers. What the hell, QC Community?? How is Dora the one with issues here??

*https://criminalreviews.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/a-captain-awkward-glossary/
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Mar 04, 2015 2:48 pm

reboundstudent wrote:Can you like a piece of media just fine, but really hate the community? Cause damn is the community of QC pissing me off. A character deciding to stop associating with people who hurt her is not controlling, "pushing others away", or "doomed to have no friends." What is up with this weird idea that a "true friend" must be absolutely accepting of other people's horrible behavior, and any kind of African violet* means you have "issues"? Dora cut out a brother she sees as self-centered and manipulative, and a friend who showed up to her job, at the coffeeshop that Dora owns, drunk. This after months, possibly years, of verbally abusing other employees and even customers. What the hell, QC Community?? How is Dora the one with issues here??

It sounds like Geek Social Fallacy projected into media to me. It is a behavior I have never understood.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:41 pm

Wondering wrote:Blade Runner has a sequel? Why?

Exactly. Same things with Independence Day 2. Why? After nearly 20 years, why?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:00 pm

reboundstudent wrote:Can you like a piece of media just fine, but really hate the community? Cause damn is the community of QC pissing me off. A character deciding to stop associating with people who hurt her is not controlling, "pushing others away", or "doomed to have no friends." What is up with this weird idea that a "true friend" must be absolutely accepting of other people's horrible behavior, and any kind of African violet* means you have "issues"? Dora cut out a brother she sees as self-centered and manipulative, and a friend who showed up to her job, at the coffeeshop that Dora owns, drunk. This after months, possibly years, of verbally abusing other employees and even customers. What the hell, QC Community?? How is Dora the one with issues here??

It's totally possible to love the media and hate the fandom. I'd say that most of my relationships with media come with an indifferent-to-hostile take on the organized group of people who share my love of it.

I've never read that comic before, but yeah, that reaction is screwed up. The Dora character hasn't even decided to end one of those relationships - she said it was up to her friend, which is actually a pretty decent attitude to have toward someone you've been enabling. I didn't read far enough back to see what the deal with her brother is, but I will say the friend in the latest strip is the one being the asshole rather than Dora. I mean sure, friend, bring it up. If she tells you to drop it, drop it. She's not being an ass for being more forceful about asking that when you ignore the first request.

I'm not surprised geeky readers would think of Dora as the bad guy, though, given the general pressure to maintain all relationships.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum