NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by Andrew Corvero Tue May 26, 2015 6:17 am

Caffeinated wrote:Maggie Gyllenhaal on Hollywood Ageism: I Was Told 37 Is ‘Too Old’ for a 55-Year-Old Love Interest

That's it, burn it all down.

What the fuck. I thought that 37 is even a bit too young for a 55 year old.

"People don't just change who they are in an instant. It takes time, so you don't even know you're changing. Until one day you'll just a little bit different than you used to be and you can't even tell what the hell happened" (Rich Burlew)

"You shouldn't take advice from random strangers on the Internet too seriously" said the random stranger on the Internet.
Andrew Corvero
Andrew Corvero

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri May 29, 2015 12:43 am

I've been meaning to make a whole thread about this, but this is hitting at me in a particular moment, so here goes.

I've finally gotten into Mad Men (I am very frequently a Johnny-Come-Lately to media.) Just for kicks, I've been reading a lot of Internet commentary from the past seasons, kind of enjoying the "I'm from the Future!" benefit of hindsight to a lot of them.

The way the fandom reacted to Betty from pretty much Season 1 on has really gotten under my skin, though. The reasons why are a long, long post but tonight's rant is kicked off by a Season 5 AV Club comments section. It's pretty much nothing but laughing at Betty (and January Jones) for being fat, and haha isn't it funny because she's horrible and fat! Isn't it hilarious that she has a cancer scare and might die because everyone she loves hates her! Wouldn't it be great if she died?! OMG I LOLed so hard cause she's FAT!

What's extra bothersome, from a future perspective, is at the end of Season 7 I read a ton of commentary criticizing Betty's letter to Sally for demonstrating just how vain and shallow Betty is. I find that an.... odd observation, given the way everyone seemed to take malicious enjoyment in Betty no longer being beautiful in Season 5. So you're angry at a character for being obsessed with her looks and concerned with looking her best when you were... repeatedly mocking her for her looks?

I may need to just peace out of reading Internet commentary for this season, as I fear it'll be nothing but gross mockery of a character's body and judgement there of.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 29, 2015 2:06 am

I knew people who were cheerleading Walter White and wanted him to basically kill everyone.

Internet comments and freeform online discussions are terrible places for critique because the lowest common denominator is free to join and they are allowed to anonymously and semi-anonymously express their worst thoughts without too much concern for who's reading and how they can react.

Unless they work for online review websites or magazines.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri May 29, 2015 11:45 pm

Once in a while I get a reminder that even though I often feel tokenized by media and even intentional efforts to address that are frequently inadequate, the stuff I tend to be mad about isn't even the worst.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:50 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:Once in a while I get a reminder that even though I often feel tokenized by media and even intentional efforts to address that are frequently inadequate, the stuff I tend to be mad about isn't even the worst.

Amen, brah. (Or... maybe I better not say brah cause that is also appropriation Uh-oh)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:23 pm

http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/250286/jen-kirkman-louis-ck-gross-behavior-podcast/

Oh, shit. No. Please, no. Not Louie. Goddamn it. No

Back to top Go down

Post by Suika Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:32 pm

The Mikey wrote:http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/250286/jen-kirkman-louis-ck-gross-behavior-podcast/

"I'm not saying it was him, but it was him."
Suika
Suika

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:13 pm

The Mikey wrote:http://www.deathandtaxesmag.com/250286/jen-kirkman-louis-ck-gross-behavior-podcast/

Damn. That sucks. But it's probably true. I mean, a lot of his act seems to center on "men are terrible sex perverts and I pity women for having to put up with us". (I remember a particular bit where he says women are angels and men want to drown them in their cum.) So, maybe not so surprising if he's actually a pervert given that he gets on stage and tells us he's a pervert?

I'm still going to watch his show, though, because it's a great show and I'm a terrible person.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:08 pm

Caffeinated wrote:Damn. That sucks. But it's probably true. I mean, a lot of his act seems to center on "men are terrible sex perverts and I pity women for having to put up with us". (I remember a particular bit where he says women are angels and men want to drown them in their cum.) So, maybe not so surprising if he's actually a pervert given that he gets on stage and tells us he's a pervert?

I don't remember if it was that bit or not, but it was one that was similar at the very least, but I saw some bit of his that made some point like that and it made mad and sad so I just avoided him after that.

Not that I judge you for being "a terrible person", I've enjoyed the work of bad people myself Razz

I tend to think all stand-ups are either really weird, or assholes, or both, so I'm not surprised. I mean, what normal person would do what you have to do to make it in that business?!?

The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:22 pm

The Wisp wrote:
Caffeinated wrote:Damn. That sucks. But it's probably true. I mean, a lot of his act seems to center on "men are terrible sex perverts and I pity women for having to put up with us". (I remember a particular bit where he says women are angels and men want to drown them in their cum.) So, maybe not so surprising if he's actually a pervert given that he gets on stage and tells us he's a pervert?

I don't remember if it was that bit or not, but it was one that was similar at the very least, but I saw some bit of his that made some point like that and it made mad and sad so I just avoided him after that.

Not that I judge you for being "a terrible person", I've enjoyed the work of bad people myself Razz

I tend to think all stand-ups are either really weird, or assholes, or both, so I'm not surprised. I mean, what normal person would do what you have to do to make it in that business?!?

My ex is a stand-up (not a famous one). I've spent a lot of time around stand-ups. And yes, in my experience, they really are all either weird or assholes or both. It's a strange business, and one thing they all share is an obsession with the work.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:33 pm

Caffeinated wrote:

Damn. That sucks. But it's probably true. I mean, a lot of his act seems to center on "men are terrible sex perverts and I pity women for having to put up with us". (I remember a particular bit where he says women are angels and men want to drown them in their cum.) So, maybe not so surprising if he's actually a pervert given that he gets on stage and tells us he's a pervert?

I'm still going to watch his show, though, because it's a great show and I'm a terrible person.

Yeah, and I mean this is the guy who (when married) would frequently talk about how awful his marriage was, and how either he or his wife were assholes, and how he wasn't sure if he loved his kids. I find Louis CK really funny, but I have never mistaken him for someone honorable or well-behaved; just kind of self-aware about how terrible he kind of is.

Self-awareness of how terrible a person you are doesn't excuse awful behavior, of course, but at the same time, perhaps self-awareness is all that can be asked. I've heard the same things about stand-up comedies that Caffeinated has, that they're usually using that particular style of comedy as a way to exercise their own demons. Reading that article, I also couldn't get a sense if Louis has done something specific to a person, or if he's just been a gross pervert in someone's vicinity. Like is he abusing his power, or is he being the asshole he's always kind of presented himself as?
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:37 pm

reboundstudent wrote:Reading that article, I also couldn't get a sense if Louis has done something specific to a person, or if he's just been a gross pervert in someone's vicinity. Like is he abusing his power, or is he being the asshole he's always kind of presented himself as?  

I've read lots of vague comments about him being a flasher, about his viewers not always being of the consenting variety, and about him using his power in the industry to quiet down complaints.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:51 pm

The Wisp wrote:I tend to think all stand-ups are either really weird, or assholes, or both, so I'm not surprised. I mean, what normal person would do what you have to do to make it in that business?!?

"Everyone else here is a comedian, but that's not what I am... What I am is a psychotic who's learned to market his problem." - Chris Latta
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:18 pm

I really don't want it to be true, I'll be crushed if it is. Here's a dude, Louis C.K., a dude I could relate to (sans the awful and gross accusations and real crass perverseness) regarding life and he's being accused to whipping his member out to masturbate in front of other comediennes?  No We all have those feelings but we never act upon them and if this is some sort of hazing/intimidation thing (maybe? I dunno) then, goddamn... any and all respect I got for the man has gone down the tubes. :\

I dunno. I'm just really disappointed if these allegations are true.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm

The Mikey wrote:I really don't want it to be true, I'll be crushed if it is. Here's a dude, Louis C.K., a dude I could relate to (sans the awful and gross accusations and real crass perverseness) regarding life and he's being accused to whipping his member out to masturbate in front of other comediennes?  No We all have those feelings but we never act upon them and if this is some sort of hazing/intimidation thing (maybe? I dunno) then, goddamn... any and all respect I got for the man has gone down the tubes. :\

I dunno. I'm just really disappointed if these allegations are true.

I can feel you on that. Not about Louis C.K. Mine was David Foster Wallace. And...I mean...I could tell from his writing he had experience being a shitty person. I don't think he would understand their psychology so well if he hadn't been there himself. But I was under the impression it was something he was long past. I found it pretty painful to read his biography and learn about some of his interactions with women and some occasional unrelated douchiness.

It's a hard road to try to parse out differences between the art and the artist. Although some people can't like art after learning about the artist, there are perfectly valid reasons for separating the two and continuing to admire the art - and I think most of us aren't entirely consistent with who we continue to enjoy and who we decide to avoid.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:59 pm

eselle28 wrote:
I can feel you on that. Not about Louis C.K. Mine was David Foster Wallace. And...I mean...I could tell from his writing he had experience being a shitty person. I don't think he would understand their psychology so well if he hadn't been there himself. But I was under the impression it was something he was long past. I found it pretty painful to read his biography and learn about some of his interactions with women and some occasional unrelated douchiness.

It's a hard road to try to parse out differences between the art and the artist. Although some people can't like art after learning about the artist, there are perfectly valid reasons for separating the two and continuing to admire the art - and I think most of us aren't entirely consistent with who we continue to enjoy and who we decide to avoid.

Given what you said about David Foster Wallace, may he rest in peace, yeah, you're right. You could understand what they've gone through and understand that they may be looking for forgiveness/redemption, especially if they're being so open about it (from what I'm guessing or at least what I'm thinking, I could be totally wrong).

It's very hard to parse the art from artist but other times it can be very easy. Cracked wrote a whole article about that, and in fact there's tons of people who've done awful shit and people just forget about it. :\

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:35 pm

So...

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 New-Leto-Joker

and

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 960

Eh? Eh?? Wink wink nudge nudg

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:13 pm

Be thankful that one of your favourite comedians is only a shitty person (a lot of comedians tend to be shitty people, that's how they get funny in the first place)

Chris Benoit murdered his family and then killed himself after basically becoming the hero of fans who liked wrestling for wrestling's sake and not the soap opera/drama/talking part of it silent
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:57 pm

There is that, but I think the brain damage mitigates things somewhat in Benoit's case.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:45 pm

There are stories out there of him being a locker room bully too.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:33 pm

As much as I'm looking forward to Jurassic Park, I'm a little disappointed that it didn't take advantage of new knowledge about dinosaurs. Not that I'm such a stickler for scientific accuracy. It's more that I think feathery dinosaurs have the potential to be awesome.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 Feathers

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 Go_cry_emu_kid_by_nennalem-d3cc0rh

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 Velociraptor
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 10 Velociraptor1_skrep
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Conreezy Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:19 am

Final Fantasy VII is overrated and VI deserves a remake about two bajillion times more.

Come at me.

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:49 am

Conreezy wrote:Final Fantasy VII is overrated and VI deserves a remake about two bajillion times more.

Come at me.  

oh mate you're on!!!!! D:<

Joking aside, I've just read Shenmue 3 is happening?!!!!!!!!!!!
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:21 am

I kind of wish FF7 would've stuck to the Shinra storyline instead of Sephiroth and Jenova. Shit went really downhill
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:12 am

litterature wrote:
Conreezy wrote:Final Fantasy VII is overrated and VI deserves a remake about two bajillion times more.

Come at me.  

oh mate you're on!!!!! D:<

Joking aside, I've just read Shenmue 3 is happening?!!!!!!!!!!!

>Kickstarter has goal of 2 million
>Overshoots goal in 10 hours
Sweet heaven, that's bonkers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum