NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 17 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by eselle28 Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:46 pm

I overate not once, but twice, on my trip and I only thought about purging in the most academic of ways. No impulses to resist, no guilt. It's an odd feeling.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 17 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:14 am

On the one hand, the governor has ordered a travel ban to start in an hour.

On the other hand, it doesn't apply to me if I'm driving to work (assuming it's still in effect in the morning.)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:19 am

I really hope Superbowl weekend passes quickly. I was all excited when I heard it was being played in Glendale since it is far from me. Little did I know they were going to have events starting tonight or tomorrow near my neighborhood. I foresee not going out at all unless it is to a goth bar.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:27 pm

It's curious to actually search out some of the Twatter accounts of the clowns in this post ( http://femfreq.tumblr.com/post/109319269825/one-week-of-harassment-on-twitter ) , and most of it seems to be people who type 5 word tweets, attach #fam or #squad to everything and seem to be rooty-tooty-pop-up-and-shooty COD kids. I wonder how many of them have actual identifying info on their profiles.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:13 pm

Re-read that DNL article about what you want.

I find it interesting how my preferences have changed over the years when it comes to appearance. In a good way - they are definitely broader than they once were.

In fact, I'd say I have a pretty healthy set of preferences, I'm more annoyed I have them in the first place. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:37 am

I just found what I think is probably one of the best definition of neediness - I think that it's better than how the good doc has described it:

"Let go of any neediness you might have. Neediness is a precursor to obsessiveness, and obsessiveness is creepy. Needy people are imbalanced and unstable people, because their happiness hinges too greatly on someone else, rather than a stable sense of self worth. If you're projecting a vibe that you'll be devastated if a person doesn't want to be your friend or romantic partner, the lightheartedness that makes flirting fun will be extinguished."

Of all possible places, this appears on the wikihow page of "how to flirt": http://www.wikihow.com/Flirt

The only problem I have with this quote is the part where they describe needy people as "imbalanced and unstable" as if they have some sort of mental illness. While being needy is a a negative behavioral pattern, it certainly as hell doesn't mean someone is "unstable" (I'm assuming this is meant in the "mental stability" kind of way)
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:42 am

Hmm. Yeah, not happy with conflating neediness (which add a standalone condition is at least partially the responsibility of the "sufferer") with mental illness (which should be under every citizen's mandatory insurance coverage, taken seriously by the general public, and zealously treated). Though, neither is the responsibility of anyone who isn't being paid to treat it.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:08 am

nearly_takuan wrote:Though, neither is the responsibility of anyone who isn't being paid to treat it.

Wait, I don't understand this - your writing here that being needy isn't a responsibility of the person who's exhibiting this behavior? I find being needy as something different from situations of mental illness, where the person suffering from it requires professional help to address it, while being needy sometimes can be dealt with in other contructive ways that don't always require professional help.
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:14 am

Err, sorry. I mean, neediness is the responsibility of the needy person. It's just not the responsibility of anyone else. A paid mental health professional should probably address it if they're being paid to help with that, but I don't think anyone else is obligated to accommodate anyone's needy behavior. I don't think anyone is required to accommodate anyone else's borderline personality, either; the main difference to me is whether society-at-large should provide an accommodating support structure. As personal interactions go you can treat them basically the same: as pitiable conditions that you may deal with as you choose.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:50 am

I keep getting, "You just need to be more confident".

Yes, yes I know that self confidence and the ability to relax can help me. I'll never challenge that because it's what I want. But the shitty tenants that live in my head won't leave if asked politely and there isn't a switch that'll turn them off. You can't fake genuine confidence because you need to have lived a net amount of positive experiences to justify said 'confidence'.

I wish I had my own back.

Such a lovely comments section to the trailer for the new fantastic four movie.

Guess it's not objectification if Ellen does it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:12 pm

That moment when I try hard not to freak out because Sparth liked something I posted (though admittedly it was just a cool phenomenon, not a piece of artwork, but, uh, still).

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:10 pm

I keep seeing these social media motivational poster things that say it's good and fine and smart to choose to be single. Last year I thought, but I didn't choose. Now I have, and the poster still rings hollow. It's supposed to convince people coming out of toxic relationships that they made the right choice, but for me it has the opposite effect. I remember that I passed up a bad date, and there may not be another for years. Or...ever. I remember that I make other people "choose to be single".

I'm sure other people find it helpful and I don't mean to suggest censoring those messages or whatever. For me it's right up there with "I feel so alone right now while my partner/kid is elsewhere" Facebook posts, but all that is my own shit to deal with, naturally.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:16 pm

A bumper sticker stating, "Welcome to Wyoming. Now go home," is a bit surly under even the best of circumstances. If you have one and have relocated to North Dakota, seemingly permanently enough to change your license plates, it may be time to consider removing it from your vehicle and rethinking your attitude toward tourists and newcomers to an area.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:35 pm

eselle28 wrote:A bumper sticker stating, "Welcome to Wyoming. Now go home," is a bit surly under even the best of circumstances. If you have one and have relocated to North Dakota, seemingly permanently enough to change your license plates, it may be time to consider removing it from your vehicle and rethinking your attitude toward tourists and newcomers to an area.

I choose to believe that that person is a lifelong North Dakotan who went to Wyoming as an obnoxious tourist and was branded with the bumper sticker as punishment.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:40 am

I want to get a bunch of grandad shirts. They suit long hair and I never thought about the fact they may have contrasting colour collars!

Reminded me of the fact I always wanted a black sherwani for coplay reasons but I could never find one. Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:38 am

>have a discussion about feminism while peeing in the gents with an American exchange student, and explain the term abropriation to him. Exit to dancefloor, Blurred Lines is playing
>don't recognize a brodette's brother, he says we've wrestled shirtless in her kitchen
>mutually not recognize a brodette, FB check turns out to be the gal I played Hetero Chicken with after I pestered her about her trilby
>one of the people on the board I'm in was the intro week mentor of a dude who held a broadcasting station hostage earlier this day. Not even a day old and already peeps in the waiting line for the SU party are sharing le funny image macros of the whole thing
Nights like this validate the entirety of my existence.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:53 am

It's kinda disappointing when you find out that the sword fighting you see in Star Wars, The Princess Bride, and other movies of that type, is completely unrealistic. Real one-on-one sword fights were very very short (<10 seconds after the first attack), and the kind of constant clashing of swords would dull and then break the blades in reality. Similarly, modern sport fencing duels are extremely short, and seem like "poker with a sword" rather than the sword fighting you see in the movies.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:21 am

I needed a laugh, and Tumblr's new update that completely broke CSS by letting people mod the hell out of it was just the ticket.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:49 am

It's the Rants thread. That means that some rants are best left alone and undissected.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:19 pm

<mod> If you have a concern about things going on in a different thread, useful responses are to respond to it in the thread in question (if appropriate), report the post or PM a mod about it. Using the Random Thoughts thread to comment on problems topics in other threads is not an appropriate use of the thread</mod>

(That said, assuming I've correctly guessed what you're commenting on, I agree with you, and it has been addressed by a mod in-thread)
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:21 pm

It is kind of sad that this is newsworthy in a field that is as woman dominated as public health http://www.11alive.com/story/news/local/2015/01/29/all-female-ebola-fighting-team-returns-from-africa/22554625/
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:14 pm

I decided to eat some of the peanut brittle I bought in 2011.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:10 pm

This report matches up with the Pew Data: http://www.demos.co.uk/press_releases/demosmalecelebritiesreceivemoreabuseontwitterthanwomen
------
http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/10/22/online-harassment/pi_2014-10-22__online-harassment-03/

Doesn't say much about the nature of the abuse, or put much of a dent in the toxic masculinity narrative, but always good to have the latest data.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:35 am

It's rather odd that I have problems with feminism, I don't like talking about it in person, and I even find certain aspects of it that have to do with dating and sex to be triggering, yet when I find out that the cute girl in my literature class is a women's studies major, she becomes twice as attractive to me as before.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 am

I'm starting to think that the reason I'd rather not be interested in a relationship at all is because it's just another thing to fail at. I really don't need more things I could possibly fail at.

The stress of the possibility is enough to put me off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum