NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Entertainment Joys

+42
Sahrimnir
DoubtfulGuest
Enail
Glides
litterature
Kiskadee
bomaye
Xexyz
kath
Chickpea Sarada
Aggrax
KitKat
choys
Hirundo Bos
Robjection
Andrew Corvero
Dan_Brodribb
Aalo
CP96
InkAndComb
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
reboot
Jayce
Suika
Gentleman Johnny
Caffeinated
celette482
caliseivy
Conreezy
waxingjaney
PKB
nearly_takuan
eselle28
Gman
The Wisp
Archetype694
SarahGryph
Lemminkainen
Mel
WJMorris3
UristMcBunny
46 posters

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Go down

Entertainment Joys - Page 25 Empty Re: Entertainment Joys

Post by Datelessman Wed Oct 19, 2022 5:39 pm

Despite having some TV series and anime I've neglected, my binges remain eclectic and sometimes random. Since life is short and "joys" can be hard to find (entertainment or otherwise), I usually indulge them. And I enjoy this column as an appropriate outlet to type about them, so thanks all around to the folks who contribute and read besides me. I know I've kind of hogged it over the last year or two.

The latest random binge may be my most infamous, and certainly an animated series which is fairly polarizing. Many mock it as heavy handed info-tainment at it's worst, while others claim it started a movement. And certainly those who grew up with it would be in their 30's and 40's now and are among the most environmentally and socially conscious generations we've seen (even more than the Baby Boomers turned out to be). Yes, I am watching the series that wanted to "take pollution down to zero, "CAPTAIN PLANET & THE PLANETEERS." It seems every notable online personality from Nostalgia Critic to random dudes with blogs have been tearing into this thing since the modern internet began. Yet despite such polarization, it lasted 6 seasons and 113 episodes from 1990-1996 on TBS on cable and broadcast syndication elsewhere. For a show that debuted in the midst of "Ninja Turtle-Mania," it proved to have tremendous staying power. Off the top of my head the only other cartoons created in the 90's that lasted anywhere near as long were "BATMAN: THE ANIMATED SERIES" (which switched networks, titles, and character model styles in the late 90's) and, hilariously, FoxKids' "BOBBY'S WORLD" (that ran 7 seasons and 81 episodes). Granted, having a media mogul like Ted Turner as a passionate co-creator likely helped a great deal towards its longevity. Still, he didn't eat costs as long as Fox has for "THE SIMPSONS" (which has been a "loss leader" for well over a decade).

So I suppose someone might ask, "Why in the world would you want to binge Captain Planet?" And my answer is twofold. First, morbid curiosity about a show which lasted a surprisingly long time that I'd only seen about a dozen or so complete episodes of at the time (and usually dismissed). And secondly, with a world on fire with polar icecaps melting, pandemics raging, resources becoming scarce, a rising population and on the cusp of a capitalist dystopian nightmare, I wondered if it would still seem so "extreme" nowadays, at a time when many of it's mouth-foaming lectures actually came to pass.

Spoiler:

I sometimes wonder if the woe of "CAPTAIN PLANET" were that it's messages and warnings, which proved prophetic, were sometimes delivered in such a ham fisted and preachy way that they had the opposite effect. Maybe too many Americans really are like Wheeler, just without a Gaia or four friends to talk them out of it.

Anyway, I'm having an interesting time with the series and do not regret binging it. It has its problems but I also think it was hardly the only preachy, simplistic cartoon at the time. It just was the one which maybe did so the most often, with a big media mogul behind them, and it arrived when such shows were quickly being phased out for better fare like B:TAS or X-MEN which could make similar appeals in a more nuanced way.
Datelessman
Datelessman

https://datelessman.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Oct 27, 2022 12:17 pm

As an update to my latest binge, or a "Planeteer Alert" if I wanted to be cheeky, I've officially started season 4 of the long running show. I am past the initial three seasons of 65 episodes produced thru DIC which launched the series from 1990-1992 and firmly beginning the last three seasons animated thru Hanna-Barbera, which Ted Turner had just purchased, from 1993-1996. Hanna-Barbera went from PIRATES OF DARK WATER to Captain Planet; what a shift. At any rate, I feel most of the collective memory about the show focuses mostly on the first three seasons. At least those are the seasons where a majority of the memes come from, or that Nostalgia Critic once roasted.

Spoiler:

The seasons are getting shorter and Season 4 will be the last which is over 13 episodes (and at 22 episodes, is still shorter than seasons 1-2). Even more drastic changes come in for the final season, but I am a ways from that. It's been...an interesting binge so far.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:28 pm

As an update, I finished by binge of CAPTAIN PLANET & THE PLANETEERS last month. I'd left off at the beginning of season 4, which was the first season where new episodes debuted on TBS and not standard network syndication. They would all be repackaged later in syndication (I vaguely recall seeing reruns early in the mornings on WPIX or UPN in the late 90s), but seasons 4-6 were the ones which began airing almost exclusively on Ted Turner's own station. It'd move on to Cartoon Network and Boomerang, of course.

Spoiler:

So, yeah, that was CAPTAIN PLANET. I still think some of the hatred it gets is a little unfair, but I can understand why.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Dec 19, 2022 11:17 am

A short one, I promise!

Anyone like GARGOYLES? That wonderful Disney Afternoon show which aired from 1994-1997 (even if the third season, "The Goliath Chronicles" from 1996-1997 isn't considered "canon")? Ever wanted to see it return? Well, it is back (again) as a comic book!

Dynamite Entertainment released GARGOYLES #1 last week, written by Greg Weisman himself (the series' co-creator and story editor). It is the first comic book continuation of the series since Slave Labor Graphics' comics from 2007-2009. It picks up from where season two of the cartoon and those comics left off, but the debut issue is mostly a recap so you can just dive right in. The first issue sold 100,000 copies with 78 covers, which is the total of animated episodes. Anyone who is curious should check it out, it is worth it.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:26 pm

Anybody played Inscryption? I am hopelessly addicted, I think I've done three full playthroughs and am thinking about doing a Grimora Halloween costume this year.  It's the most engrossing, weird, fun, creepy game I've had the chance to play in a while, and I don't even usually like deck-drafting games or TCGs.

Just beat challenge level 110 of Kaycee's Mod and now feel like I pretty much have to 100% the game, or P-03 will make fun of me. Laughing
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by KMR Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:10 pm

I played Inscryption! It was a cool experience, and extremely immersive in a fascinating (and creepy) way. I did find the gameplay annoying at times, but pushed through it because I just had to see where it was going. I just did one playthrough, but it was definitely a memorable game.
KMR
KMR

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:41 pm

I haven't played that. I'm not much of a gamer. I never was, but especially not for the last decade or so. I think the last video game I played regularly was Facebook's Marvel Alliance game, and they yanked that in 2016.

In terms of my DVD binges, at the end of the year for some ungodly reason I was in the mood to watch the USA NETWORK "Street Fighter" cartoon that ran from 1995-1997. I was always curious about it especially since for some fans it got confused for the anime, "Street Fighter II V," that came out around the same time and was being released by Manga Entertainment (then Manga Video). But since the TV series is loosely based off the 1994 live action film, I rewatched that for the first time since, well, I saw it on cable about 25 years ago. People lambaste both and both have been the inspiration for memes since the modern Internet began, but they were alright.

Lately I am binging the 1984-1987 "TRANSFORMERS" series (or "Transformers: Generation One" as fans call it). It's the only incarnation of the franchise I remotely cared about or watched avidly as a kid. But this time, not only am I seeing all the episodes, I am seeing them in intended continuity order; watched seasons 1-2, the rewatched the 1986 animated film (which I am more familiar with since my high school buddies and I rediscovered it when it was re-released on video in 1999), and am now watching seasons 3-4 which took place after. It makes a whole lot more sense now. Mostly.

Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Jan 27, 2023 7:12 pm

I don't know how to recommend this in a way that does it any justice, and "you should really watch this 6-hour YouTube video" is not an easy sell in any case, but:

This is the single best video essay I've ever seen, it made me cry several times, and I'm still walking around feeling altered as a person a week after watching it.

It is nominally a review of a never-exported Japanese PS1 game by someone with a really fascinating form of neurodivergence. But it's also a meditation on the subjective experience of time, childhood, loss, and memory. I dunno, y'all, just watch it if you have 6 hours and want to feel some things.

Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu Feb 02, 2023 1:13 pm

Because some folks like my accounts of what collecting anime was like during the ye olden days of the 1990s, I'll mention my latest attempt to "re-buy" a series I had owned on VHS as a teen in the 90s on the upgraded format of DVD. I've done that for much of my "collection" ages ago, aside for stuff which I am now embarrassed to have owned as a teenager in the 90s: specifically, MAD BULL 34 and VIOLENCE JACK (and to a lessor degree, M.D. GEIST). Perhaps as a metaphor for a lot of things, I sometimes don't realize that my tastes in anime have changed over the past 15-25 years until I revisit one of the "lessor" titles of my old collection, as in stuff which isn't shrouded by nostalgia goggles or wasn't actually good or redeemable. One of the last times I did this was when I "re-bought" GUY: DOUBLE TARGET, which was an odd sci-fi "near hentai" that ADV/AD Vision incredibly sold on their main line as any ol' anime like BLUE SEED or LOST UNIVERSE in the 90s. They re-released it on DVD just before they shut down, appropriately in their "Happy Carrot" imprint. It was...regrettable.

The very last time I did this was when I re-bought the 2 episode OAV for HURRICANE POLYMAR: HOLY BLOOD, which wasn't as bad but still not great, beyond for some of the combat animation of the first episode and the theme song. That's on an earlier page of this topic.

This time, I tried it once again for GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE (and it's sequel, GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE II), and I must say it's worked out. But then again, it has a good pedigree.

The 1980s-1990s were a golden age for OAV's in Japan, and many creators were using that format to release stuff which likely never would have found a home on a TV station. A lot of it was an excuse to offer products with more violence and/or nudity and exploitation of lady characters. And since many of these OAV's were short (45-60 minutes for a one shot or rarely more than 6-10 episodes for an episodic series), they were easy fodder for American distributors to dub and release during "the VHS era" that I put at the late 1980s to 2002 (the last year 99% of American anime distributors released new content on VHS). Central Park Media/U.S. Manga Corps, AnimEigo and Manga Entertainment (then Manga Video) seemed to especially rely on OAV's (or films), but every distributor had a bunch. I forget exactly when GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE hit the shelves; my hazy memory says it was the late 90s when I was finishing high school (I'd gotten into anime in junior high, which for me was before 1996). The violence and cursing was my primary focus as a teen, with excessive nudity just being one of those things I accepted without realizing how exploitative it was.

What saves GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE is that it wasn't just trash by folks no one had heard of. It was directed by Yoshiaki Kawajiri, the same man responsible for a slew of OAV and film anime hits in the 1980s and 90s like WICKED CITY, A WIND NAMED AMNESIA, DEMON CITY SHINJUKU, CYBER CITY ODEO: 808, BIOHUNTER, and two of the biggest films of the era, NINJA SCROLL and VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST. It was written by Buichi Terasawa, best known for COBRA (or SPACE ADVENTURE COBRA to some). Kawajiri especially tended to focus either on dark fantasies or dark cyberpunk with fantasy elements, and GOKU: MIDIGHT EYE is closer to that. Basically if you liked or heard of CYBER CITY ODEO: 808 (a 3 episode OAV), this is almost like a spiritual cousin.

Manga Video provided two dubs; one for the U.S. and one from their Manga UK division (which is a very separate division and operates almost like another company in a bizarre way). The U.S. dub is one of many, many anime dubs of the 90s that I almost consider "thankless" for it's star, Steve Blum (or Steven J. Blum). Before he got the lead in COWBOY BEBOP which became the darling of Adult Swim and then dubbed a film instalment in 2001 which helped propel him into better paid regular voiceover work, Blum was starring or co-starring in a TON of forgettable anime titles no one has ever heard of. Want proof? How about RED HAWK: WEAPON OF DEATH? Ever heard of it? Of course not, no one did. But Manga Video dubbed it and Blum starred in it, and it wasn't great but work is work. Other U.S. voice actors who starred in it are Wendee Lee (a frequent co-star of Blum's in anime dubs, including BEBOP) and Kirk Thornton. Unlike RED HAWK, Discotek Media saved GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE from the limbo of being out of print with a DVD and blu-ray release. They even included a brief interview with the writer and director, which is surprisingly candid.

Spoiler:

As I said, not only do these two OAV's offer tons of action and violence, they are incredibly exploitative of women. Literally every woman who turns up in each one winds up naked and/or sexually assaulted (or almost sexually assaulted). There really is no reason for it beyond for it's own sake. Another henchwoman in the first one literally is a half-naked cyborg who wears motorcycle handlebars on her shoulders so she can be "ridden" by a smaller man as she chases after targets (who she kills with lasers shot from her mouth). A tamer version of her is even included on the original VHS art for the series in Japan, which are even racier than what Manga Video came up with. As a teen I shrugged this stuff off as par for the course, but now I see it for how bad it was and am glad that anime, by and large, has moved on from this in the last 10-15 years. The end theme for both OAV's is "Fighting In The Danger" sung by the late Katsuragi Yuki, which is amazing. Quite a few of Yoshiaki Kawajiri's OAV's and films featured some amazing songs by some of the best Japanese singers at the time. I could listen to it all day, which is good, since the DVD menu keeps it on loop.

GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE didn't sell too well at the time. I imagine the big problem is that for American anime audiences, "Goku" is the name of one and only one character, and he stars in DBZ. It likely caused confusion, especially in an era when "the Internet" was still a budding new thing Al Gore was claiming he invented, and confusion rarely sells. As two VHS tapes it would have cost $40, which is a bit much for this; I just got the DVD off Amazon for almost half that. I still liked the first adventure better than the second, but despite the flaws I did enjoy it, and one of Blum's less fondly remembered performances.

The brief interview with Yoshiaki Kawajiri and Buichi Terasawa is surprisingly candid. They flat-out admit that they only use women in the OAV's as sexy props to "make Goku look cool" and since they deliberately made an overly misogynistic world in GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE, there was no place or interest in giving the women real personalities or contrasting them with other characters. I was amazed by their honesty. Try getting, say, Frank Miller, who was making the same kind of comics here in America like DARK KNIGHT RETURNS, SIN CITY or RONIN to admit that he's really into dating woman young enough to be a granddaughter (a theme which pops up a TON in his work), or a fetish for sex workers, and I am sure Miller would go on and on about being an artiste and "breaking norms" and all that. People were grossed out when John Bryne admitted some of that stuff in the early days of chatrooms, but at least he was honest. So I found the honesty of Kawajiri and Terasawa very refreshing. That doesn't excuse it, but at least they weren't too chicken-spit to just admit they write what gets their rocks off like too many of their American counterparts at the time.

And if you want to hear that song, and see the Japanese VHS cover art and see that I am not kidding about the designs, watch it here.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:16 pm

One thing I am enjoying about the current era of anime is being able to finally watch series which were considered "classics" at least when I was younger that were just too expensive or difficult to find during my youth in "the VHS era." SLAYERS was one of the primary examples but over the weekend I finally got to watch the far shorter but also far more controversial OAV series from 1991-1992, DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS. For quite a few years it was presented as one of the "classics" of supernatural anime horror, at least when the market was still young in the U.S. The 2 episode OAV of DEVILMAN was one of my first anime series so I've always had a soft spot for some of the darker material, even if that usually (and unfortunately) means wading thru a lot of exploitative stuff. I finally got to watch it over the weekend, and it was...an experience.

DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS was based on the dark historical fantasy novel "Teito Monogatari" by Hiroshi Aramata, although it was heavily influenced by the live action 1988 film adaptation "TOKYO: THE LAST MEGALOPOLIS." The story uses the deadly 1923 Great Kanto earthquake as a centerpiece. A final influence, unfortunately, was the OAV series "Urotsukidōji: Legend of the Overfiend" from 1987-1989 which was incredibly popular in both Japan and the U.S. as one of the granddaddies of hentai (along with LA BLUE GIRL). DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS never reaches that level but it definitely is "not for kids" as the old VHS covers used to warn. In the states it also had a weird history where it's ownership has bounced around nearly half of all of the anime distribution companies around. Manga Entertainment (then Manga Video or Manga UK) dubbed and released it in 1993, with a British cast. Then, Streamline Pictures, one of the first anime dubbing and distribution companies in North America, got the license and redubbed it in 1995 with a group of fairly well known voice actors of the time. Streamline stopped releasing new content by 1997 and by the turn of the century (as VHS was in it's waning days in the anime dubbing industry), they began losing many of their licenses (before officially shutting down in 2002). AD Vision/ADV got the rights to DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS in 2001 and released it on DVD, but caused a stink at the time by not including the Japanese track (since DVD's, unlike VHS, could include both English and Japanese tracks). They eventually got those tracks and re-released it in 2003 as a "special edition." It went out of print when ADV shut down in 2009 (although SENTAI FILMWORKS has mostly replaced it, kind of like one of Freiza's forms), and has recently been picked up by, of all companies, Media Blasters (MB). MB was founded in 1997 and is, to date, the last anime dubbing company still based in New York after Central Park Media, AnimeWho, and 4Kids Entertainment shut down. They started out mostly doing hentai and "fanservice," mostly under their "Kitty Media" label. Then in the later 90s and early 2000s they started dubbing some mainstream stuff, namely RUROUNI KENSHIN, BERSERK, BAKUMON, and my favorite out of print satire, COMBAT DUTY SHINESMAN. They experienced major financial trouble in 2012 and laid off 60% of their staff, and mostly went back to only dubbing hentai and fanservice stuff, and lost a ton of their licenses. But they've hung around (and even produce their own dubs in-house) and re-released DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS on DVD and blu-ray last year.

Spoiler:

DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS is definitely one of the "grandfathers" of horror anime available in North America. I could never find all four VHS volumes at the time and in that format it would have cost approximately $80 to own (plus tax), which would have been a bit overpriced and made it feel slow and underwhelming. But as a 2 DVD set for about $25, it is perfectly acceptable. To a degree the "plot" is really just a series of weird or spooky moments strung together with many references to Japanese historical figures. The animation is incredibly good for an OAV; Toei just about reaches theatrical quality. That said, even at 4 episodes and 160 minutes, I'd be lying if I didn't think it had some drag.  Yasunori Kato is an iconic villain and was the original inspiration for M. Bison in Capcom's STREET FIGHTER II, since that cloaked uniform and cap really is essentially the formal dress of an Imperial soldier (at least at the turn of the 20th century). The biggest demerit is the extreme uses of nudity and violence towards women which was not in the source material but added for purely titillating and commercial reasons by the anime studio. Before anime got "mainstream," it had a bad reputation because of a lot of the gratuitous nudity and the exploitation of harm to women even in non-hentai releases and DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS may easily be one of the examples of those kinds of things.

Streamline's voice cast for it was about as good as anime got in 1995. It included Cam Clarke (yes, Leonardo from 1987's TMNT who was actually the first voice of Kenada from Streamline's dub of AKIRA), Kerrigan Mahan (the original voice of Goldar from Power Rangers), J.C. Henning, Barbara Goodson (the original voice of Rita Repulsa from Power Rangers), Steve Bulen, Edward Mannix, Michael Forest, and Jeff Winkless as Kato. It is kind of fascinating that so many of those actors are mostly known for kid's stuff yet here they were dubbing an anime full of demons stripping women naked and incest. It fills out a portfolio, I guess. Both Clarke and his TMNT co-star, James Avery (the voice of the Shredder) did a couple of anime dubs for Streamline but then stopped abruptly; probably because the pay was so low even by SAG standards.

DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS, much like the 1988 live action film, only covers a quarter of the story and I wonder if one day it may get an anime revamp which is longer and covers the whole thing, but with (obviously) none of the tacked on nudity. Anime franchises get revamped about as often as American ones. But for now it remains a classic for either horror fans or for infamous reasons, and I didn't mind finally adding it to my eclectic anime collection.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Tue Mar 14, 2023 5:36 pm

Man, thank you so much for telling us about those last two, I've been curious about them for a while and there's barely any info online.

-Bit disappointed about Goku: Midnight Eye, since It looked so cool in those AMVs set to Perturbator music, but I guess that's 80s comics for you.

-Now I'm slightly sad I didn't buy that Doomed Megalopolis tape I saw at a closing sale years ago, surrounded by hentai and Neogenesis Evangelion ones. Talk about unsold inventory! My occassional craving for stuff set on the "Taisho" period of Japan due to my beloved Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha games probably helps.

(Also: What's wrong with Mad Bull 34?! It's a hilarious pastiche of american violent films of it's era! And at least one of the protagonists fucks, which is a lot better than the average anime).
Hielario
Hielario

Datelessman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:36 pm

Hielario wrote:Man, thank you so much for telling us about those last two, I've been curious about them for a while and there's barely any info online.

-Bit disappointed about Goku: Midnight Eye, since It looked so cool in those AMVs set to Perturbator music, but I guess that's 80s comics for you.

-Now I'm slightly sad I didn't buy that Doomed Megalopolis tape I saw at a closing sale years ago, surrounded by hentai and Neogenesis Evangelion ones. Talk about unsold inventory! My occassional craving for stuff set on the "Taisho" period of Japan due to my beloved Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha games probably helps.

(Also: What's wrong with Mad Bull 34?! It's a hilarious pastiche of american violent films of it's era! And at least one of the protagonists fucks, which is a lot better than the average anime).

You're welcome! There hadn't been much interaction here for a while (since my epic SLAYERS binge) so lately I feared seeming like I was indulgently flooding this topic and gave it a rest. My anime collection is definitely eclectic and has many obscure titles, so I am always glad to share it.

- I liked GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE on my rewatch but there is some lost potential. I'll admit in terms of "1980s cyberpunk anime from Yoshiaki Kawajiri," I prefer CYBER CITY ODEO: 808 and overall I prefer NINJA SCROLL and DEMON CITY SHINJUKU. I actually liked BIO-HUNTER, which is another short OAV, but that was dubbed in the late 90s by Urban Video and has been out of print ever since.

- If you want DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS, now is the best time to get it! Media Blasters just released it on DVD/blu-ray and you can get either online for about $25. If I'd bought it on VHS for $80 way back I likely would been bored and disappointed, but for under $30 on one disc it is fair. Many of my local Blockbusters and "mom and pop" video stores at the time were infamous for only having a few volumes of it, never all four tapes.

As for MAD BULL 34, it's one of the case examples of anime that I bought when I was a young teenager that was full of gratuitous violence, nudity, and/or harm to women which wasn't hentai (as I never bought hentai). For those not in the know who may be reading this, it stars a hulking cop slash pimp who is part DIRTY HARRY, part DOLEMITE (only white) and part SGT. SLAUGHTER and his new partner, an innocent Japanese teenager. I admit I probably just made it sound awesome, and it does have some entertaining bits. It has four hour-long episodes and at the time Manga Video released it, I could only find three (at a local NOBODY BEATS THE WIZ, no less). My first online anime order ever was getting that fourth tape. My issue with it is much like VIOLENCE JACK, much of the screen time is focused on stripping every female character naked and either showing her get assaulted, threatened to be assaulted or fondled. It's very exploitative and while I "tolerated" that stuff as a teen (I swear I was just in it for the violence), now that I'm 41 that stuff just isn't my bag anymore. Now, in my defence, A LOT of anime from the 1980s and 1990s had this stuff, especially OAV's, so it was almost unavoidable if you watched anything that wasn't DBZ, Sailor Moon, or Samurai Pizza Cats. I also remember the fourth and last episode (which features the daughter of the lead's murdered partner fighting him in a knockoff Xenomorph armor before stripping naked and trying to seduce him) being underwhelming due to both the plot and the animation (which was of lower quality compared to the first three). I vaguely recall it trying to be more serious for the last half, which for MAD BULL 34 (a series that included a bit where the lead character literally straps grenades to his pubic hair, and no I am not kidding) was awkward.

I'll admit I haven't watched any of it in well over 22 years. I just don't have an interest in rebuying it. Discotek Media re-released it a few years ago, but it seems to have gone out of print almost immediately.

For the record, my latest binges have been another Hanna-Barbera cartoon I'd already heard about but never saw, SWAT KATS: THE RADICAL SQUADRON, which was actually excellent. These days all Hanna-Barbera is known for is the subsidiary of Warner Brothers that coughs up a SCOOBY DOO special or TV series every year, but between SWAT KATS and PIRATES OF DARK WATER, they had some good stuff in the early to mid 90s before Ted Turner officially consumed them.

Right now I am binging the 2012 TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES that aired on NICK and was produced about 3 years after Viacom purchased the franchise outright from Peter Laird for $40 million (with an extra $10 million going to 4Kids Entertainment, which at the time was bankrupt but had the TV rights). It's about as long as the 1987 series, only across 5 seasons instead of ten. I was too much of a die hard 2003 TMNT fan to give it a chance 11 years ago, but I'm a bit wiser now and I am enjoying it for what it is. I could fill entire textboots of references for every episode.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:55 pm

Datelessman wrote: If you want DOOMED MEGALOPOLIS, now is the best time to get it! Media Blasters just released it on DVD/blu-ray and you can get either online for about $25. If I'd bought it on VHS for $80 way back I likely would been bored and disappointed, but for under $30 on one disc it is fair. Many of my local Blockbusters and "mom and pop" video stores at the time were infamous for only having a few volumes of it, never all four tapes.

Oooh, that's nice to know. It's a shame I'm neither american nor employed  Dead .

Datelessman wrote: My issue with it is much like VIOLENCE JACK, much of the screen time is focused on stripping every female character naked and either showing her get assaulted, threatened to be assaulted or fondled. It's very exploitative and while I "tolerated" that stuff as a teen (I swear I was just in it for the violence), now that I'm 41 that stuff just isn't my bag anymore. Now, in my defence, A LOT of anime from the 1980s and 1990s had this stuff, especially OAV's, so it was almost unavoidable if you watched anything that wasn't DBZ, Sailor Moon, or Samurai Pizza Cats. I also remember the fourth and last episode (which features the daughter of the lead's murdered partner fighting him in a knockoff Xenomorph armor before stripping naked and trying to seduce him) being underwhelming due to both the plot and the animation (which was of lower quality compared to the first three). I vaguely recall it trying to be more serious for the last half, which for MAD BULL 34 (a series that included a bit where the lead character literally straps grenades to his pubic hair, and no I am not kidding) was awkward.

Oh yeah, you may have a point there. I don't remember it being THAT bad, but admittedly it may have glossed over me due to the kind of media it references being just the same, plus the absurdity and exaggeration drenching everything (Heh heh, that scene with the grenades is exactly why I became aware of it, thanks to big man afficionados at twitter Grin), so you're probably right. Plus, now that I think about it, I only watched the first two chapters. Maybe I would have gotten more tired if I watched the rest, I'm usually warier of that sort of thing. It's the entire reason I didn't buy The Blind Prophet, after all.

¡Anyway! I'll add some joys of my own.

-Asked my american neighbour who's a Lovecraft fan to lend me some stuff in his original language, since I suspect the translated editions belonging to my mother weren't well done and that was why they felt  underwhelming. I just finished The call of Cthulhu, and it seems I was correct. It had me panting after the end! The delivery may be overgrown, but I think that's what makes the story scary, more than the actual stuff it's describing, or at least for me.

[Yes, I'm aware of the racism in this one. I'm used to filtering through antiquated idiocy.]

Also, it's pretty fun to recognize where some stuff that I've seen in cosmic horror tabletop RPGs came from.

- Troll Corporation by Pacheco & Pacheco (no relation to the deceased superhero comics artist). A delightful discovery! This tome caught my attention among the contents of a weird stuff bin at a pretty great comics store during my last exam trip to the capital, and it had me chuckling for a week and a half.  

It's a compilation of a surreal comedy strip about the work life of a group of office personnel, who just happen to work as professional internet trolls, for an extremely successful corporation, whose business is making everybody else's lives miserable through internet misbehaviour for...well, just for profit, since depressed people consume more (the only one having fun is the director, an egotistical workaholic sociopath in a power suit and heels).

The tome compiles a series of 2-6 page stories about incomprehensible anti-advertising campaigns, people who have developed passive aggression to the point of delivering insults through motivational posters, business deals with supernatural creatures, the profitability of destroying women's self-esteem... Interseped between them, there are some less narrative segments parodying typical examples of business content & concepts that get thrown around social media.

"Do you have children?

Then, let me tell you

that you're poisoning them."

The dialogue and plots balance absurdity with chilling realism really well. And the art is not impressive, but it's very well measured and efficient, and it manages to give every character a clearly defined identity with very little, even if it feels completely subordinated to the (admittedly hilarious) dialogue a lot of times. I was already familiar with some of the authors' previous work since they used to make a couple of strips for a fashion supplement, but their work here is longer and more elaborate.

I was a little surprised that I had never heard of it before, since it had everything necessary to achieve notoriety and longevity, but it seems the authors just decided to not continue with it; after a last story where the workers get a sort of happy ending in the form of long paid vacations, there's an epilogue in which the director explains to the readers how, while at the start of the strip (back in the middle of the new tens) the idea of professional internet trolls still felt fantastical enough, the turning of events through the following years made "our" reality too difficult to keep up with. The authors are basically telling us that the joke does not work anymore.

After some googling, I discovered another factor that probably also contributed to its lack of longevity: the strip was part of short-lived indie satirical magazine Pride and satisfaction, which only lasted for a couple of years before crashing due to lack of profits. This book compilation feels like an attempt to preserve what existed of the strip in paper and earn some extra money along the way, putting a nice bow on the whole thing.

Part of that vibe comes from the printing. It's a very nice hardcover with a cool front-and-back illustration where everybody is working at their desks while their shadows project the images of evil fantasy trolls on the fuchsia-colored wall. Also, there's the outline of a trollface superimposed on the back with some sort of transparent varnish, so it's not immediately obvious unless you look carefully. Surprisingly, the interior eschews the glossy paper that's become typical of contemporary color comics for a kind of porous paper similar to the one I've seen at B&W graphic novels. It's nice to have a book that does not insist on making everything look glossy and metallic for once, you know? I missed that.
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:34 am

I read quite a few comics weekly and have been reading some Palladium tabletop RPG books in my usual misguided hope to reassemble some of my pals for gaming again, even though most are too busy or far away raising families now. I tried reading Renegade's new Transformers game but lost interest despite the beautiful art and layouts. Palladium is as old school as "MEET THE PRESS" but I seem better able to absorb it.

Hielario wrote:Oooh, that's nice to know. It's a shame I'm neither american nor employed  Dead .

It's a relatively new release from last year, and Media Blasters may offer it in different region codes. Personally I think region codes are stupid and ineffective. They're intended to prevent piracy of media content, which they've failed to do as virtually every media has been pirated and spread online for free eons ago. All it does now is penalize the few honest buyers who still get physical media. Say I go on vacation to London or Hong Kong, go to a perfectly legitimate store, buy a perfectly legal DVD or blu-ray, and then take it home to watch it. I can't. Wrong code. At best I have to go through the bother of buying a player which can read any code (which is also legal). That is baloney.

CD's, which contain music, have no region codes. Despite the fact that music was being pirated online long before whole movies and TV shows (since audio is easier to transfer than video). I've bought a few soundtracks from Japan and France and had no problem. It boggles my mind.

Hielario wrote:
Oh yeah, you may have a point there. I don't remember it being THAT bad, but admittedly it may have glossed over me due to the kind of media it references being just the same, plus the absurdity and exaggeration drenching everything (Heh heh, that scene with the grenades is exactly why I became aware of it, thanks to big man afficionados at twitter Grin), so you're probably right. Plus, now that I think about it, I only watched the first two chapters. Maybe I would have gotten more tired if I watched the rest, I'm usually warier of that sort of thing. It's the entire reason I didn't buy The Blind Prophet, after all.

Long before Twitter, Manga Video/Entertainment's own trailers for MAD BULL 34 made sure to include the "crotch grenades" scene. Even folks who never saw it but bought a VHS tape of Manga's in the 90s or early 2000s and fast forwarded through the trailers would know that scene.

Now, as I said before, a ton of anime has those scenes where female characters are stripped naked, fondled, or there is some shower or "hot springs" scene. The term "fan service" was made for a reason. It is somewhat less common now but EXTREMELY common in anime from the late 1980s into the very early 2000s, especially OAVs, since they never had to conform to the censorship standards of a Japanese TV station (which may seem lax compared to American ones but do exist). An easy comparison is that the BIO BOOSTER ARMOR GUYVER OAVs from the late 80s-early 1990s are more violent and contain one "stripped by tentacles scene" for the female lead (which is in the manga), whereas the TV show version from 2005 does not.

If a piece is strong despite that or has some kind of redeeming value in my eyes then I'm not thrilled about that stuff but I endure it. GOKU: MIDNIGHT EYE has that stuff (though nowhere to the extreme of MAD BULL 34) but I feel that the overall animation, story, and dub (again, Steven J. Blum) make up for it. NINJA SCROLL is still considered a classic and it's lead heroine has quite a few scenes like that. GOLDEN BOY was actually a hentai as a manga but the OAV toned it down slightly enough to "fan service" levels and it is still a very amusing and strangely wholesome 6 episode series. I'm not some anti-nudity zealot and I acknowledge tons of live action American movies from that same period also had stuff like that (see: almost any film starring Charles Bronson). I did watch the first 3 OAVs of MAD BULL 34 many times during the 90s and nearly all of my (male) pals at the time saw them. I watched the 4th only once and by then I was in college and was just disappointed in the animation quality and the semi-serious tone of the last half of it (which runs counter to the rest of the series, which isn't intended to be taken any more seriously than "COMMANDO"). But nowadays I've outgrown most of my "tolerance" for that stuff and when it comes up I just wait for it to be over glumly.

I am still slogging thru the 2012 TMNT cartoon and enjoying it. I am about to wrap the 3rd season.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Wed Apr 05, 2023 12:52 pm

So, I finished the 2012 TMNT animated series. I enjoyed it a lot, but that's not what some folks here want to read. No, people like my flights into the realm of old, obscure anime that tens of people worldwide have heard of. So with that in mind, how about I tell you about another anime I "rebought" from my teenage days of VHS that is out of print and I probably overpaid for, for no good reason. I am talking about AMON SAGA.

AMON SAGA is an OAV from 1986 based on an illustrated novel (or "light novel" in Japan) by Baku Yumemakura with art by Yoshitaka Amano. If that name is familiar, it should be; he is one of the most prolific artists and designers in Japan and the world, best known for GATCHAMAN, TEKKAMAN, CASSHERN, and especially VAMPIRE HUNTER D. He also did art and designs for most of the FINAL FANTASY games from the 1980s into the 1990s (including the most famous instalment FINAL FANTASY VII), and collaborated with Neil Gaiman for a SANDMAN project in 1999. In 1996 alone, he earned $40 million (about $69 million today) for his various works in anime and video games, and sales of prints and so on.

Want an unpopular anime opinion of mine? I never liked VAMPIRE HUNTER D. It was actually one of the first few dozen anime tapes I purchased as a teen and one of the biggest titles I thought was overrated (along with AKIRA, which is beautifully animated and confusing as hell). Most of my problem is the tone doesn't always match. For a vampire slaying saga, the color palette was way too bright, and I am expected to take a vampire slayer seriously who literally has a sentient hand with a face on it that talks to him. He's like the Ventriloquist from Batman (who uses the puppet Scarface to rule the mob, somehow). Now, the sequel, VAMPIRE HUNTER D: BLOODLUST, is awesome. But most of that was due to the animation, more consistent tone, and focusing away from D for at least a third of it. D is kind of like Blade, only with LESS personality or swagger.

Naturally, anything Amano touched eventually got animated, and not all of it was successful or fondly remembered. AMON SAGA is one of those. It's a straightforward "sword and sorcery" story which doesn't have any turns and was never released in America until 2000-2001, when Manga Entertainment (then Manga Video) decided to release it. Clearly if it was gold, someone would have dubbed it during the 90s, and I really have no idea why Manga bothered, aside for the fact that it was an Amano project that nobody else wanted. The box art, which has Amano's designed lead character amid a white background, was noticeable and the DVD version retains that. I remember I bought it when I was about 19 and thought it was alright for a lark. I am only in the mood for "fantasy anime" in fits and starts, and since I wasn't able to get SLAYERS until recently, I mostly dealt with shorter visits to that genre like this, or the original RECORD OF LODOSS WAR OAV series.

So, onto AMON SAGA. The lead character is a young man named...Amon. That should tell you how straightforward this anime is; imagine if LEGEND OF ZELDA was called LINK SAGA or SLAYERS was called LINA INVERSE SAGA.
Spoiler:

Manga Video insists all that is 90 minutes on their box, but every other source clocks that OAV as 72 minutes. They pad things out by having a brief "music video" with the lyrical version of the main theme, and then present the English dubbing cast as a clip show with each character, as if we just watched THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK. But even with that, it's maybe 80-85 minutes tops. The DVD box also has positive review quotes from Animerica and Wizard magazine; man, that takes me back. Knowing Wizard's staff had frequent preferences to any media which involved monkeys or apes, they probably liked it for the "Dragon-Ape" (which looked nothing like a dragon or an ape, just a red demon thing with claws). Because the dub was done in New York, we have one connection to SLAYERS. Gaius, who steals the entire OAV, was voiced by David Brimmer. His day job is being a fight choreographer for local productions, but he also dabbles in voicework from time to time. He was one of the regulars for 4Kids Entertainment which meant he got a lot of credits on POKEMON, SHAMAN KING, ULTIMATE MUSCLE, and their much hated dub of ONE PIECE. He almost always voices mid-tier villains, so Gaius was practically a chance to show some range. He was credited with 21 episodes of the 2003 TMNT cartoon, mostly as various random villains. And, of course, he voiced the bombastic Prince Philip in two episodes of SLAYERS TRY (the third season and the last to be dubbed in NY by Central Park Media). He's still somewhat active there, especially with NYAV Post, a dubbing studio founded by Michael "Santa Claus" Sinterniklaas. The most recent thing I heard him on was in GKIDS' dub of the CGI film, "LUPIN THE FIRST" (where he voiced, as usual, the mid-tier villain Lambert). Princess Lichia was voiced by Debora Rabbai, who worked on some moderately well known anime from the late 90s to early 2000s like BIRDY THE MIGHTY, AYANE'S HIGH KICK, GEOBREEDERS, and BOOGIEPOP PHANTOM. She's an improv comedian, but Lichia's a pretty generic role and Rabbai didn't put any spice into it. The only other notable voice actor here was J. Robert Spencer, who voiced Mabo and the ill fated Messenger. He's mostly known in NYC for Broadway productions. The only other big anime he voiced was the brilliant, yet depressing, GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES. Dan Olk, who voiced Amon, had a variety of bit parts in some anime during the 90s and the year 2000 but hasn't been credited with anything since. The only "big" anime he dubbed was NOW AND THEN, HERE AND THERE and REVOLUTIONARY GIRL UTENA: THE MOVIE.

AMON SAGA's animation quality was about average for an OAV from 1986; not horrible but not usually impressive. The musical score is pretty memorable, although the lyrical version of the main theme is almost too upbeat, like for a romantic comedy. Some of the action is okay; it isn't overly violent but far more violent than, say, an episode of SHE-RA: PRINCESS OF POWER (which in 1986 was the top fantasy cartoon produced in America). After all my awkward complains about some older anime being rough with their heroines, this one handled a kidnapped princess better than Penny was treated on INSPECTOR GADGET. I originally got it on VHS for $20 in 2001, and for that price I thought it was "alright." I paid about $40 for an out of print DVD (sealed & new) and that was probably too much. Still, despite the fairly straightforward and generic story, I thought it held up better than, say, HURRICAN POLYMAR: HOLY BLOOD or GUY: DOUBLE TARGET. If I had to letter grade it and was feeling very generous I'd give it a B-minus. It isn't anything to be chased down and proclaimed a classic, but something obscure to watch if you want a quickie fantasy anime and don't want to spend more than 2-3 episodes of run time on it. One of those titles generic enough to have fun picking apart or seeing as a lark but nothing offensive or shocking in any way. I wonder if some director in Japan is thinking, "it would have sold better if we showed some boobies" a generation later.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Hielario likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Fri Apr 07, 2023 11:47 am

Honestly, it sounds like the ideal video store fodder: Nothing mindblowing, but a fun way to spend a friday night. I didn't experience that era of anime, but a lot of OVA like that one sound like they were tailor-made for the rental circuit.

Also: I won't deny that I find your posts on old anime tapes more interesting than ninja turtles, but please don't be so harsh on yourself. This is a thread about random shit that we like after all, not a paid magazine.
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Sat Apr 08, 2023 12:14 pm

Well, last month was pretty much crap in anything else but I've finally been eating RIGHT on the roleplaying front. I got a place on a weird "Harry Potter meets Poe" game at the forum, I'm on talks for a KULT:LOST DIVINITY game at one of my less regular Discord servers after several months of not seeing anything that I could fit into my schedule, and the NetCon online convention implemented a new reservation system this year that works like a charm, so I'm playing thrice this week if you can believe It! Call of Cthulhu on wednesday, Tactical Waifu on friday (think Lasers & Feelings but with cute anime schoolgirls and guns) and Geist:The Sin-eaters this same sunday. Woohoo!
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Sun Apr 09, 2023 10:10 am

Hielario wrote:Honestly, it sounds like the ideal video store fodder: Nothing mindblowing, but a fun way to spend a friday night. I didn't experience that era of anime, but a lot of OVA like that one sound like they were tailor-made for the rental circuit.

Also: I won't deny that I find your posts on old anime tapes more interesting than ninja turtles, but please don't be so harsh on yourself. This is a thread about random shit that we like after all, not a paid magazine.

I actually intended the start of my last post to read as "good humored snark" and not "passive aggressive bitterness" (my terms), but tone is tough to express in text sometimes and now that you bring it up, it can totally read the wrong way for anyone who isn't me so thanks for pointing this out. I'll try to be more careful about that in the future.

I have written (barely) paid articles online for websites or, these days, Patreon, but they're 99.5% weekly comic book reviews.

It is cool to see you've dipped into RPing online again. I've been RPing on a forum I manage for non-kink stuff for 21 years now, and counting. I used to run two forums (for mostly the same players) but the second forum/game ended years ago. Sometimes my pals would run their own games and I'd play as a player (something I like to do but which doesn't come up often enough with my troupe), but again, those ended years ago. In high school and the start of college my pals and I played tabletop RPG's, including VAMPIRE: THE MASQUARADE (and most of Whitewolf's old "world of darkness" games, though the only other one I played was WEREWOLF: THE APOCALYPSE),SHADOWRUN, and (of course) DUNGEONS & DRAGONS. I used to make my own crude RPG's and we played one of them for over 2 years. They still miss it and want me to re-write it, but I don't have the time or energy. It would need a major overhaul.

These days in terms of tabletop RPG's, my voracious Ninja Turtles fandom got me to dig up Palladium Books' out of print TMNT & OTHER STRANGENESS game from the 1980s. That led to me reading a few of their other, in print games like SPLICERS, NINJAS & SUPERSPIES, and their 2001 second edition of AFTER THE BOMB, I actually really really want to GM that one. We'll see what goes of it.

Yesterday I went to see THE SUPER MARIO BROS. MOVIE, which happened to debut almost 30 years after the last Super Mario Bros. film. It was a lot of fun and very good. Kids these days don't know how good they have it compared to the 90s sometimes.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:10 am

Mario movie was pretty GOAT
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:57 pm

bomaye wrote:Mario movie was pretty GOAT

It was. I really liked it, and I am far from alone. It is still insane that Nintendo was so scared by that bomb in '93 that they stayed away from Hollywood until now, and tons of other video game movies came out in the interim. That we live in a world where the most successful video game film franchise is RESIDENT EVIL, with a whopping 7 films within 20 years (and virtually all of them being commercially successful). But, yeah, I might even see the Mario movie again, and I not only can't wait for a sequel, but to see if Nintendo finally makes movies of other franchises (like LEGEND OF ZELDA) and then tries to pull an MCU by teaming them up, like a relaunch of Captain N: The Game Master. But now I may really be showing my age.

Moving on, my next foray into "obscure anime that I originally watched on VHS and have since repurchased on DVD" shifts to another OAV from the early 90s which also hasn't seen much attention. Yet unlike some of the others, it is still in print and is actually about to get a blu-ray release. Unlike some of the other ones I've talked about here, which were sometimes good for a lark or obscurity hounds, this is one which I think is an overlooked gem or a cult piece. The OAV I am talking about today is A WIND NAMED AMNESIA.

Unlike some of the other pieces from my old VHS anime collection, I didn't watch A WIND NAMED AMNESIA as a teenager in high school. I was actually in college when I watched it, and actually used the campus' VHS TV banks (which they had since many on-campus instructional videos were on VHS) to watch it during some break one year. The only other anime I watched this way was RECORD OF LODOSS WAR and PET SHOP OF HORRORS (which I'd rented from a local Blockbuster Video). Now, A WIND NAMED AMNESIA was hardly a new title when I watched it in the early 2000s. But the reason I waited until then to get it had more to do with the official abandonment of the VHS format by virtually the entire anime distribution industry in 2003.

For a little recap, after defeating Betamax and CED in the 1980s (and Laserdisc in the early to mid 90s) as rival formats, VHS was the primary home video system for over a generation. However, DVD's were starting to emerge by the late 90s and by the turn of the 21st century it was becoming obvious that it was the future. "THE 40 YEAR OLD VIRGIN," a movie from 2005, specifically has the starring character Andy, who is a salesman at an electronics store, lecture a customer about this kind of thing. Mainstream Hollywood productions abandoned the format officially around 2007-2008, no longer releasing new home media in that format. Well, for whatever reason (likely the expense of producing separate VHS tapes for subtitled Japanese dubs), the entire anime industry in North America ditched VHS line wide after 2002, at least half a decade sooner than the rest of the entertainment industry. There was no official announcement or joint statement; it just "happened," like a wind blew into town (yes, check out that metaphor). Any company which still had VHS versions of anime in stock was selling them for fire sale prices; I got the box set of RECORD OF LODOSS WAR at an anime con from a representative from Central Park Media for less than $25, which was probably close to wholesale price. The only exception was FUNimation, and THEIR only exception was for DBZ/GT and Yu Yu Hakusho, under the fair minded philosophy that they'd begun to release those series on VHS and wanted collectors to at least be able to finish their runs. But their runs of those were low and nowadays finding an unopened one on eBay will cost you. Other companies didn't care if they stopped a series in the middle; I vaguely recall the first few episodes of the first dub of GTO being released on VHS and then shifting to DVD, and that wasn't the only one. Anime fans were going to upgrade, or risk being out of pace with new releases from 2003 onward.

I, like some people, was in no rush to make my entire home video library obsolete at the time. But this meant that if I wanted new anime without upgrading, I had to try out titles which I had bypassed in the years prior. Now, in the era where the Internet was a shell of what it is now (the mid 90s to very early 2000s), I primarily got my anime via a few sources. I'd only purchased some via mail order catalog a few times, and that was exclusively via VIZ (then Viz Video). I was in college before I started ordering anime online. About 15% of my anime came from a local NOBODY BEATS THE WIZ, and 75% came from a less local SUNCOAST VIDEO. Going to the latter required a train trip so it was almost like a pilgrimage. There weren't any major online sources to read anime reviews back then; it was the time when the best you had were magazines like ANIMERICA or occasionally WIZARD. There were series I'd heard about from peers or those magazines, but many times I'd just waltz into Suncoast, check out their wall of anime tapes and just see what looked "interesting" and usually, what was affordable (i.e. fewer than 4-5 tapes). A few times a pal or two of mine would "make a day of it" during our wasted youth and head to Suncoast with me, and then we'd usually crash at their place and watch the thing. Naturally, as an anime collector on a budget, OAV's were my best friends. One-shot films or very short series were quite affordable compared to, say, SLAYERS or BLUE SEED or even GUYVER. Yet for literal years I had bypassed that lone tape of A WIND NAMED AMNESIA for bigger and better titles. VHS tapes didn't expire so if a shop ordered one and no one bought it, it sat on a shelf forever until someone bought it, or it closed. It didn't help that Suncoast's anime section was alphabetical, and "WIND" is at the very end of that. Well, now it was 2003 and I was beginning to realize that nobody was releasing any new anime on VHS; nothing on the shelf was after 2002, and 2002 was hardly the biggest year, either. I probably just attributed it to a local problem with that shop (maybe sales were down) and it took me time to realize it was a line wide thing. But it led me to try some different stuff I'd bypassed, and one fateful day it came between A WIND NAMED AMNESIA and ROUJIN Z. One had box art featuring a young woman, a man, a giant killer robot and a highway on it. The other had an invalid crawling out of a mecha, almost in confusion. I picked AWNA, and I guess so did society, since that is still in print and ROUJIN Z isn't.

I am not saying that I want to return to an era where I am unable to research a title I was interested in before buying it so I don't waste money on trash. But what I am saying is that former era felt a little more adventurous and sometimes I admit that was part of the charm. It helped anime feel more edgy and cultish, and not the multi-billion dollar industry overseen by titans like Sony or Warner Brothers that is is now. Today if I hear about an anime called TYPHOON APOXY Z, I Google up some reviews, get a consensus and then decide yay or nay, order it cheap on Amazon and go fetch it from a box in a chain pharmacy run by dead-eyed, wage slave teenagers. But back in the 90s or 2000-2002 ish, it came down to that box art, the blurb on the back and what the warning labels were. At the time I was a gore hound so anything that said, "for extreme violence" was on my radar. Sometimes I got a winner and sometimes I wasted $20-$80 on a dud.

Last night I rewatched A WIND NAMED AMNESIA for the first time in over 18 years and likely for the third or fourth time total. Like many OAV's, it began as a "light novel" (illustrated novel) in Japan and was not a manga. It was written by Hideyuki Kikuchi, a familiar figure who also wrote VAMPIRE HUNTER D, DARKSIDE BLUES and WICKED CITY, which all got animated. The director, Kazuo Yamazaki, the box art proudly proclaims also directed NINJA SCROLL, and along with episodes of SLAYERS and URUSEI YATSURA (which in America was known as LUM THE INVADER GIRL).  The OAV has a limited cast of only about 5-6 characters and Central Park Media's box for it goes out of their way to link the Japanese voice actors to other well known anime. This was how you tried to sell a title in the pre-Internet days; stick "FROM THE ERRAND BOY BEHIND GHOST IN THE SHELL" or so on on it. I am glad I didn't get it as a teenager because I would have been a bit too impatient for it. The OAV is 80 minutes long and while far from perfect, is actually a fairly thought provoking science fiction title. Hideyuki Kikuchi was known for dark supernatural stuff with a hint of cyberpunk, but aside for some moderate cyberpunk, A WIND NAMED AMNESIA is more of a sun drenched science fiction tale with a nearly optimistic message which takes place entirely within the United States. It reminds me a lot of some sci-fi movies from the 1970s, only animated in 1990. Central Park Media released it in 1994, and originally released it on DVD in 1998. Discotek Media re-released it on DVD around 2016 and will be releasing a blu-ray version this year.

Spoiler:

It's quite a trip. The animation quality is very good for an OAV; near or at theatrical grade. It was dubbed by Manga Entertainment in the UK and Australia and Central Park Media in the U.S. (which used Manga's dub). Adam Henderson stars as Wataru and he's a British actor who seems to bounce between the UK and Canada, and his resume shows that. He's had supporting parts in a slew of random TV shows like HIGHLANDER, COLD SQUAD, DARK ANGEL, FRINGE, ARROW, and SECOND CHANCE, along with some anime and cartoons like X: THE MOVIE, A.D. POLICE FILES, MAD BULL 34, NEW DOMINION TANK POLICE, MASTER KEATON, SHERLOCK HOLMES IN THE 22ND CENTURY, and INU YASHA. Any actor who has been in Canada for five minutes, by law, MUST have a role in either INU YASHA or STARGATE: SG-1. He does a good job with Wataru, playing up his youthful curiosity and optimism about things despite being in some dire situations. Denica Fairman co-stars as Sophia and she's been in another hodgepodge of projects, but some anime geeks may know her best as B-Ko from the original PROJECT: A-KO. An uncredited Bob Sessions voices the Guardian, and I know him best as the star of VIOLENCE JACK, but he also voices various tough guys in anime like CRYING FREEMAN and ANGEL COP, as well as the villain Rebi Ra from one of my faves, DEMON CITY: SHINJUKU. Mr. Simpson was voiced by Peter Marinker, who's also done a ton of stuff but may be most infamous for dubbing over Sam J. Jones' voice for 1980's "FLASH GORDON." Director Mike Hodges for whatever reason didn't like Jones' voice in the movie as Flash so in post production he insisted on him being dubbed over for all but one or two lines.

I've seen some reviews online and on YouTube which tear this OAV a new one. I'll admit it has some problems. The biggest is the uneven pace. There are some fast paced and exciting moments amid many extended sequences of narration and voiceover monologues. I wouldn't say it drags but there are many moments where some character is explaining things because it would take too long to try to do it without an "infodump." I suppose Sophia is pretty casual about her revelation at the end and Wataru doesn't hold her to any account, but considering she's not even a middle manager, it seems fair to me. And some people don't like "post-apocalyptic" anime unless it involves biker gangs or skinless, cannibalistic giants. Actually, for a post-apocalypse tale, almost everything takes place in daylight. I enjoyed it as a sci-fi story more than an action yarn and it is at least a unique way to go about a post-apocalypse. And if viewers want to go there, there is definitely some "Ho Yay" between Wataru and Johnny, though it never reaches the level of Ryu and Ken from STREET FIGHTER II V (where the "best friends" swim naked in a pool together). The Simpsons stuff may or may not be intentional, and it is a little awkward to only have a handful of named characters and that two of them are named John. That is some NEWHART level awkwardness ("This is my brother Darryl, and my other brother Darryl"). That said, it's less confusing than a lot of sci fi anime out there and it's incredibly rare for any nude scenes in post-apocalyptic anime to not be violent assaults. I'd definitely recommend a viewing for an anime fan who wants to test out a lessor known sci fi movie. It isn't perfect but it definitely has it's moments.

Just so long as you're fine with a story which includes psychics, cyborgs, killer robots, and aliens which isn't a shounen TV series.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon Apr 24, 2023 5:45 pm

My latest adventure into anime took me off the path of previously viewed titles that I'd owned on VHS in high school or college. In fact, it was a short anime series I'd never seen before, that actually came out in the mid-to-late 2000s. It is also the first anime I've watched in many years that was based on a video game, and perhaps the first not based on a fighting game. I am speaking of "UTAWARERUMONO," at least the first 26 episode series from 2006. It is based on a popular "adult tactical visual novel" game developed by Leaf in Japan. In addition to this 26 episode TV series, there was a 3 episode OAV series from 2009-2010 and a second 25 episode series from 2015-2016 (to coincide with a new game). The game is obviously popular in Japan, but I doubt how hot the series is in the U.S. The 3 episode OAV are untold "episodes" from the 2006 original series (stories from the game that didn't get into the TV show), with the sequel series in 2015 basically being a relaunch. I saw a DVD box set of this on sale, and did my usual online research and determined that out of the three versions of an UTAWARERUMONO anime, this original one was "the good one." I like owning "the good one," so I gave it a try.

AD Vision (ADV) spent over $109,000 to secure the license rights to this anime in 2006; we know because after ADV crumbled a few years later, some of their financial records came out. They dubbed and released the series in 2007, but by 2008 the company was already in the red and selling off licenses, and that was when FUNimation obtained it, along with quite a few other former ADV licenses. They re-released in as a S.A.V.E. box set around 2009-ish and that's the set still in print.

Now, as someone who never played the game, I can't tell what if anything was changed between mediums. I also can't tell what an "adult tactical vision novel" is. What I can tell you is the anime is a mixture of a fantasy RPG battle tactics simulator with a good dose of "harem syndrome," and a pinch of borderline incest. My instinct says it is actually tamer with the romance/nudity angle than the games are, but I could be wrong. At any case, the anime does feel very much like a few fantasy RPG's I've played (or watched friends play) where the hero encounters various other characters, occasionally former bosses, and unites them all for each further campaign with the storyline getting more complicated and bat-crap insane by the end. And hoo boy, does this one have some insanity. As well as some very difficult names to spell. It also features a since scandalized voice actor in the English dub, which I'll comment on below.

Spoiler:

Aside for the creepy borderline incest stuff which I am staggered was featured in an anime after the 1990s, I enjoyed this just a smidge more than I expected to. It is a unique fantasy piece with some interesting characters, some riveting battles and some solid dialogue. The animation is pretty good for a TV series from 2006, with some early cell-shaded CGI which actually doesn't look like trash (and looks no worse than some of the same stuff from TIGER & BUNNY, which came a half decade later).

UTAWARERUMONO was dubbed by ADV's main dubbing studio of the time, Amusement Park Media (which is now Sentai Studios). As such, the voice cast is full of ADV veterans. John Gremillion is one of them and he'd been voicing anime for them since the late 90s, and he has bit parts or additional voices credits in dozens of anime titles. I do wonder if he made Hakuoro sound a little older than he's supposed to be, since a few characters call him "kid" or don't seem shocked that teenage girls want to romance him. Then again, in Japan, the age of consent is 16. It is quite a reunion of voice actors from RahXephon like Kira Vincent-Davis as Eruru and Chris Patton as Oboro; I'll always know him as Sho Fukamachi in the 2005 era GUYVER series. I'll give a shout out to Luci Christian's Kuuya, as I haven't heard her voice too many characters so morally ambiguous.

And now the problematic one. Benawi was voiced by Vic Mignogna, and this is the first time I've stumbled across an anime with him in the regular cast since "the incident." I assume everyone reading these knows what I am talking about, but I may as well recap. Vic Mignogna had been dubbing anime since 1999 and achieved fame as Edward Elric from the FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST anime and to a lessor degree Broly in DBZ movies, but he's had roles in virtually every big anime of the 2000s and 2010s such as BLEACH, NARUTO, JO JO'S BIZARRE ADVENTURE, D.N. ANGEL, FULL METAL PANIC, and some DIGIMON productions (among many others). I think he also sang the opening song to DRAGON BALL KAI. In 2019, after Mignogna achieved more attention by reprising the role of Broly in DRAGON BALL SUPER: BROLY, folks on Twitter started accusing him of sexually harassing them at conventions and other places, with some testimonials going all the way back to 1989 and involving underage girls. Voice actresses Jamie Marchi and Monica Rial encouraged and confirmed such testimonials, saying he'd sexually harassed them, too. Tammi Denbow, high ranking HR administrator at Sony Pictures (FUNimation's parent company) opened an internal investigation. They fired him a week later and terminated all contracts with him, and ROOSTER TEETH followed suit, which included his start of the dub of THE MOROSE MONONOKEAN. Various anime and comic conventions also terminated his appearances there. Mignogna denied all of this and rallied fans online to donate over a quarter of a million dollars for legal fees so he could sue everyone. He filed a million dollar lawsuit not only at FUNimation, but at Rial, Marchi, and other people who accused him. Also drug into this was Migogna's ex wife, Michele Spect, and allegations he also sexually harassed Japanese singer and voice actress Mari Iijima (best known as Lin Minmay in various MACROSS projects). FUNimation's defence also included affidavits from all of the associated parties as well as the fans who'd made the testimonials on Twitter. To date, all of Mignogna's lawsuits have been dismissed, all of his appeals have failed, and he's been ordered to pay for the legal fees of those he accused. By judges in Texas, a place hardly known for defending women from blond haired, blue eyed 60 year old white men.

And since anime is well known for franchises led by women or starring mostly women, naturally all of fandom was deeply troubled by this shocking exploitation of the women within their communities or the medium and rose to inspire open mindedness and concern for--

HAH, fooled you! Venture into almost any YouTube video featuring Mignogna or his work and you'll read mouth foaming defences of him as if he is Richard Kimble on the run from the One-Armed Man. They may be a vocal minority, but it became a smaller version of the Gamergate or Johnny Depp trial where "those fans" have rallied around a problematic actor for exactly the reasons you think. And much like those geek scandals, believing the "accused's" side of things means believing things which really make no sense. Namely, that Sony, FUNimation, two voice actresses, and a few fans and ex-employees formed a conspiracy to destroy the career of Vic Mignogna because...just because. Maybe he knows Lee Harvey Oswald didn't act alone, or is the lost Lindbergh baby, or was behind the Sony hack, or some reason mere mortals cannot fathom. That FUNimation, a company (like many) who exploits the business rules of Texas to pay voice dubbers almost nothing while raking in millions for their work, would choose to fire one of their biggest names and risk losing revenue just because they, I don't know, didn't like him (and not because it is against the law to cover up for a sexual harasser and they'd learned enough to know they'd be liable if they didn't take immediate action). It's absurd. But it was tough to see his name on the cast list and not think about all this.

The irony is that if Vic Mignogna did a genuine apology and tried to actually own up and improve, he may have already been "forgiven" by some studio and been working again now, 4 years later. Instead he's the one keeping this scandal fresh with all of his useless lawsuits. Monica Rial and Jamie Marchi even started a podcast to talk about this case which just won't go away (the last rejected appeal was in December 2022). My inner cynic is surprised he hasn't become an announcer for Fox News or Alex Jones by now.

So, UTAWARERUMONO; a surprisingly interesting, yet weird, anime fantasy based on a game. If you skip the English dub you ignore the memories of the scandal.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Hielario Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:08 pm

Datelessman wrote:I am not saying that I want to return to an era where I am unable to research a title I was interested in before buying it so I don't waste money on trash. But what I am saying is that former era felt a little more adventurous and sometimes I admit that was part of the charm. It helped anime feel more edgy and cultish, and not the multi-billion dollar industry overseen by titans like Sony or Warner Brothers that is is now. Today if I hear about an anime called TYPHOON APOXY Z, I Google up some reviews, get a consensus and then decide yay or nay, order it cheap on Amazon and go fetch it from a box in a chain pharmacy run by dead-eyed, wage slave teenagers. But back in the 90s or 2000-2002 ish, it came down to that box art, the blurb on the back and what the warning labels were. At the time I was a gore hound so anything that said, "for extreme violence" was on my radar. Sometimes I got a winner and sometimes I wasted $20-$80 on a dud.

Yeah, I know what you mean, I feel similar about cruising video rental places; everything was less spoon-fed to you, there wasn't so much prioritizing of the latest titles, so you could discover the randomest stuff on your own. It's one of the few downsides to our current era, I guess? There is lots of fascinating stuff in streaming's back catalogues, but most of the big ones are getting more and more focused on shoving the newest stuff in your face.

Anyway, that sounds like a great movie. Kiiinda reminds me of how 80s european boom comics focused more on tragedy and weirdness than action when they did post-apocalyptic stories.

Datelessman wrote:I also can't tell what an "adult tactical vision novel" is. What I can tell you is the anime is a mixture of a fantasy RPG battle tactics simulator with a good dose of "harem syndrome," and a pinch of borderline incest.

OK, so a lot of this is second-hand info since I don't play that kind of games, but I've read some stuff about them, including a rewiew of the original Utawarerumono game. In this case, it means a combination of erotic visual novel and strategy RPG (think Fire Emblem). It's not uncommon for visual novels, erotic or not, to incorporate elements from other game genres like puzzles or fights; In Utawarerumono's case, this meant Strategy RPG gameplay - and quite a solid one, from what they say. The harem syndrome, of course, comes from the erotic visual novel part, since it's standard procedure for romantic/erotic VNs to throw a group of attractive people at the player's avatar so the player can choose to focus on one and pursue their individual narrative routes by focusing on them or making certain story/dialogue choices, with erotic result, as my people say Wink wink nudge nudg .

My instinct says it is actually tamer with the romance/nudity angle than the games are, but I could be wrong. At any case, the anime does feel very much like a few fantasy RPG's I've played (or watched friends play) where the hero encounters various other characters, occasionally former bosses, and unites them all for each further campaign with the storyline getting more complicated and bat-crap insane by the end. And hoo boy, does this one have some insanity.

Yes, that's usually the case. Anime adaptations are common for VNs, and they tone down the sexiness, if there's any, out of necessity (or because it was an addon to make the game more marketable). But the same can be said of the batcrap insanity of the story, since VNs often have absolutely NUTS writing, and they have to wrangle it down into something that fits a standard anime season and doesn't scare bigger audiences away. So this one either had some very dedicated writers, or an absolutely bananas original work. I remember enjoying 11Eyes, finding out there was a visual novel and...turns out the reason the adorable childhood friend practically disappears for a chunk of the story and sounds kinda dumb is that they excised the parts of the original narrative/s where she becomes a jealous psychotic bitch Shiny/thrilled .

Wanna hear something funny?:
Hielario
Hielario

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Mon May 01, 2023 2:54 pm

Hielario wrote:Yeah, I know what you mean, I feel similar about cruising video rental places; everything was less spoon-fed to you, there wasn't so much prioritizing of the latest titles, so you could discover the randomest stuff on your own. It's one of the few downsides to our current era, I guess? There is lots of fascinating stuff in streaming's back catalogues, but most of the big ones are getting more and more focused on shoving the newest stuff in your face.

Anyway, that sounds like a great movie. Kiiinda reminds me of how 80s european boom comics focused more on tragedy and weirdness than action when they did post-apocalyptic stories.

I miss "mom and pop" video rental places too, for that same reason. Even with chain rental places like Blockbuster or Hollywood Video, back in the VHS era at least no two had the same backstock. If you were in the mood for "good crap" as James Rolfe/AVGN sometimes calls it, you couldn't beat the random factor of it.

Lots of things have become more curated and "a la carte." People get nostalgic about Saturday morning cartoons not just for the day of the week, but because it was a weekly ritual where we had no control over the content. Today you can watch anything you want on Netflix or another streaming or even grab a DVD like I do, but it does take some of the mystery out of it, in an area where "mystery" and a loss of control was pretty benign.

Nowadays we live in a country where you can have 100% control over what movies you watch or news you absorb, but have almost none about your own body, or your job, or financial security. That's progress?

Hielario wrote:
OK, so a lot of this is second-hand info since I don't play that kind of games, but I've read some stuff about them, including a rewiew of the original Utawarerumono game. In this case, it means a combination of erotic visual novel and strategy RPG (think Fire Emblem). It's not uncommon for visual novels, erotic or not, to incorporate elements from other game genres like puzzles or fights; In Utawarerumono's case, this meant Strategy RPG gameplay - and quite a solid one, from what they say.  The harem syndrome, of course, comes from the erotic visual novel part, since it's standard procedure for romantic/erotic VNs to throw a group of attractive people at the player's avatar so the player can choose to focus on one and pursue their individual narrative routes by focusing on them or making certain story/dialogue choices, with erotic result, as my people say Wink wink nudge nudg .

Yes, that's usually the case. Anime adaptations are common for VNs, and they tone down the sexiness, if there's any, out of necessity (or because it was an addon to make the game more marketable). But the same can be said of the batcrap insanity of the story, since VNs often have absolutely NUTS writing, and they have to wrangle it down into something that fits a standard anime season and doesn't scare bigger audiences away. So this one either had some very dedicated writers, or an absolutely bananas original work. I remember enjoying 11Eyes, finding out there was a visual novel and...turns out the reason the adorable childhood friend practically disappears for a chunk of the story and sounds kinda dumb is that they excised the parts of the original narrative/s where she becomes a jealous psychotic bitch Shiny/thrilled

Thanks for the information about those kind of games and their anime adaptations. I had no idea how commonly they got adopted. I stopped noticing how frequent that got after the 25th ".hack" anime.

I've never heard of 11Eyes. I do own 3X3 EYES so maybe if they teamed up, they'd have 20 Eyes. Laughing

Wanna hear something funny?:

The token useless advice I always got was "be yourself." I can be myself just fine. I wanted to be myself with someone else's self. THAT was the problem. Loopy
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Datelessman Thu May 11, 2023 5:37 pm

I know (or sense) that discussions about anime tend to be more popular here, but before my latest DVD binge fades down my memory hole I wanted to type about this latest "entertainment joy" just to see if anyone else liked this one.

Talk about table-top role playing game, and the images which come to life within the imagine tend to be centered around Dungeons & Dragons, TSR's original gaming franchise from 1974 (which has been owned by Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, since 1997). While "war games" with maps and miniatures have been used by military strategists and some connected or limited individuals for centuries, D&D turned the concept of a table top role playing game into a relatively easily accessible franchise for the masses. Despite being based around fantasy and mythology (and especially the works of J.R.R. Tolkien), D&D also gained a completely unearned reputation for being "demonic" or somehow cultish or "weird" for a very long time. Part of this, IMO, was just bad timing. The game hit when there was a lot of social unrest with Nixon's corruption, Vietnam winding down, women's liberation and other civil rights movements, and even more of a peek into police corruption for the first time since the 1920s. When Nixon resigned, some thought the Republican Party would die with him, and one way they survived was forming more official pacts with evangelicals and "soccer moms," and amplifying their hysteria. Then in 1980, a book named "Michelle Remembers," written by a pair of since discredited Canadian writers, falsely claimed that recent cases of child molestation and abuse were rooted in ancient Pagan or "Satantic" worship, which began the "Satanic panic" of the 1980s (which often was watered down into "stranger danger"). And since folks who played D&D tended to meet by themselves and read books that had some far-out, demonic looking monsters, the game got unfairly swept up on that. This wasn't just in newspapers or TV anchor broadcasts; plenty of TV shows and films exaggerated this, too. Off the top of my head, an episode of "THE GREATEST AMERICAN HERO" even covered some creepy "D&D-Lite" folks involved in a plot. I know this summary seems like a tangent but it will make sense later.

I know the recent "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: HONOR AMONG THIEVES" movie came and went into theaters lately, and I didn't see it (despite having some interest and having once seen the first D&D film with my pals in 2000). Instead, that got me in the mood to rewatch a series which I saw very little of when it originally ran, but last binged on YouTube around 2009-2010: the original 1983 "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS" animated series, produced by TSR and Marvel Productions. It aired on CBS for 27 episodes across three seasons from 1983-1985, pre-dating "TRANSFORMERS" but smack in the middle of He-Man mania. Considering the "reputation" that the D&D game had unfairly earned with the general public, it's amazing this cartoon even got made. Unfortunately, because of it's imagery and good writing (for the time), it also got swept up in some of that "panic." Even when I started going to high school in the mid-90s and this show was only sporadically airing in syndication on cable, more than a few pals and associates repeated untrue rumors about it.

The show's premise is summarized in the 68 second long intro, which is amazingly long by today's standards (i.e. "YOUNG JUSTICE's" intro eventually was worn down to barely 2-3 seconds). Six random kids, aged 9-15, are transported to "the realm of Dungeons & Dragons" (shortened to "the realm") while riding a licensed roller coaster at an amusement park. They're immediately attacked by the two most evil figures in the land; Tiamat, a five headed dragon, and Venger, a winged sorcerer who literally rides a Night-Mare. But, they're outfitted with magical weaponry by the enigmatic Dungeon Master, who assigns them appropriate clothing and "classes" for the realm. Much like in "QUANTUM LEAP," which aired 5 years later, the kids go on a series of quests or missions for their "DM," hoping that the latest will finally lead them back home. And much like Dr. Sam Beckett, they're never successful. Besides the writing, part of the charm is trying to learn more about the kids as the show goes along.

The voice actors were a mixture of young sitcom stars matched with professional voice actors. Two hailed from the then-recently-cancelled sitcom, "EIGHT IS ENOUGH;" William Aames and Adam Rich. Aames is best known as Buddy Lembeck from "CHARLES IN CHARGE" and then much later as BIBLEMAN for a series of zealously embarrassing Christian home videos, but he was doing this series before both began. Aames voiced "Hank the Ranger," the 15 year old leader of the troupe who carries a magical bow that shoots energy arrows. Out of the entire cast, he's the most boring and straightforward, as many leader-types tend to be. Since this is a 1980s show, his arrows can never hit anyone who isn't invulnerable; instead they act kind of like Green Lantern energy and respond to Hank's will by entangling or caging targets. Sometimes he can form them into solid projectiles for teammates to climb on, or propel someone by striking one of their weapons or clothing articles and having them get yanked by the arrow. His entire persona is "leader" and what little angst he feels revolves around whether or not he's doing a good job of it. There are moments he is obtuse and doesn't trust his teammates to figure things out on their own, and can at times get frustrated when he's challenged or overruled. He's like Cyclops, only without romantic subplots or the rough childhood. In fact, we probably learn the least about his home life (which is nothing). And no, he never moves to Arlen, Texas and sells propane and propane accessories, I tell you what.

Adam Rich voiced "Presto the Magician," a 14 year old wizard who is limited exclusively to casting spells from his "magic hat." Presto would ideally just be a nickname, but everyone calls him that and he never asks to be called another name; at least his given name isn't "Butthead." He's kind of awkward and virtually blind without his glasses (like Velma from "SCOOBY DOO"), and is hilariously bad at spellcasting. Most of his incantations are some variant of, "Abrakadabra, alakazam, oh c'mon DO SOMETHING" and most of the time he summons objects from "the real world" which are useless in "the realm," such as electronics that can't be plugged in, or stop signs. Other times his spells can be useful to move the plot around, like most fictional magicians. He once summoned termites which could eat magical doors, sucked in paralyzing gas, and most infamously, LITERALLY SUMMONED AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER. His hat can sometimes "catch" magical blasts without harm, if Presto times it right. He's eager for proper magical training, but never gets any.

The other young sitcom star at the time, and arguably the biggest, was Don Most as "Eric the Cavalier." In 1983, he was still occasionally appearing as a guest during the last season of "HAPPY DAYS," where he'd co-starred as Ralph Malph for 7 seasons (1974-1981). Also aged 15, Eric carries a magical "Griffon Shield" which can deflect anything, and occasionally summon a forcefield around a limited radius. Out of all of the kids, we arguably find out the most about his home life due to his extended dialogue. Most was typecast a bit as Eric, since he's the sarcastic, whiny, often cowardly character of the troupe -- who often played into the current trope of "the complainer is always wrong" that many 1980s cartoons enforced. Before entering "the realm," Eric was a spoiled rich kid who spoke of living in a mansion (or big house), dealing with butlers, and that his parents could seemingly buy anything (and his father, at least, was a bit distant). He's the only one of the kids who was able to bring any items from his world into "the realm," such as a literal wad of cash (which made sense for an amusement park) and a Spider-Man comic book. He's the one who wants to go home the most, yet also the one most likely to flee from a fight. While always obnoxious and verbally combative, he gradually develops more courage as the seasons ware on, despite himself. He also is the one who hates the Dungeon Master's riddles and endless exits the most. Despite all that, Eric wound up as one of my favorites of the cast (aside for Presto and Diana). Most is usually funny in the role and without Eric, the show would have been much duller. Arguably his best quality is that he's not as gullible as the rest, and sometimes this is crucial.

Tonia Gayle Smith, a newer voice actress who'd never done much before or since, voiced "Diana the Acrobat," who is gifted with a magical bo-staff which can alter its length and even reform if broken. Aside for Eric, she's the one we learn the most about, albeit in large chunks in 1-2 episodes instead of over time. At age 14, she was already a champion gymnast at school, earning two golden trophies for her athleticism. Her father is an astronomer and her brother may be interested in aviation. She acts as a voice of reason and kind of the glue which holds the team together; she is loyal to Hank but also willing to disagree with him, in a kinder way than Eric, if she thinks he's mistaken. Diana is always reliable in a fight, and as someone with actual athletic skill, is the most suited to "the realm" and the least helpless if disarmed (which happens a lot). I don't read or see many "think pieces" on Diana even though she may be one of the first heroines of color in the regular supporting cast of any American animated series of the time, in a role which is not stereotypical. True, she's the most scantly clad of the cast, but that is mostly due to the design choices of "the realm" (and is only wearing slightly less than Teela from "MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE").

The last two of the kids are siblings. Professional voice actress Katie Leigh voiced the 13 year old "Sheila the Thief," who relies on a "Cloak of Invisibility" to become invisible. Yet like most heroines with that power, it is greatly minimized by her habit of turning invisible directly in front of people, and then becoming visible only a few yards later. She is shy and introverted, and most afraid of being alone. When invisible she can sometimes become sassy and even taunting of enemies, though. Aside for her brother, she attaches to Hank the most, and may have a crush on him. Katie Leigh has voiced tons of roles for dozens of cartoons over the decades. Her biggest roles may be as Sunni Gummi on Disney's "THE ADVENTURES OF THE GUMMI-BEARS," Alex Clover for the first 2 seasons of "TOTALLY SPIES," and as Connie Kendall on the Christian-funded radio show "ADVENTURES IN ODYSSEY" (and is one of only two voice actors who has remained with that show since 1987). She's also the only member of the cast who reprised their role for a radio play version of an unproduced script which was included as an extra in a 2006 DVD set from BCI. Ted Field III (who also didn't do much before or since this cartoon) voiced her brother, "Bobby the Barbarian." At 9 years old, he's the youngest of the cast and often one of the most eager to fight. His magical weapon is a "Thunder-Club," yet despite clubs being common in cartoons for decades, he also hardly ever hits anyone and mostly just causes earthquakes by slamming it on the ground. While Sheila tries to protect him as his "big sister," Bobby is often the one more protective of her. What I like about the pair is that unlike most siblings in fiction, they get along very well. Their bickering is kept to a minimum and instead they often aid and comfort each other. Out of everyone, Bobby seems to like Eric the least, and they often bicker. Upon landing in "the realm," Bobby immediately befriended a baby unicorn named Uni, voiced by industry legend Frank Welker. While Uni is yet another role for Welker which requires animal noises (and in later seasons, occasional baby words), Welker usually makes up for it by voicing 2-3 other characters in every episode (including Tiamat). Virtually every animated cartoon from the 1980s had some kind of animal or "mascot" character and Uni was it for this show. She still mugs for the camera plenty, but is never as exasperating or annoying as Snarf, Slimer, or Deputy Fuzz (the "Axis of Annoyance" for those sorts of characters in my eyes). Uni can teleport once a day, like all unicorns in "the realm," but only uses this power twice. Instead Uni is usually there to give Bobby someone to care about and protect other than Sheila. This becomes a problem later on because as a magical creature, Uni won't survive outside "the realm" which means Bobby would have to leave her to go home, which he is at times unwilling to do.

Dungeon Master was voiced by Sidney Miller, a long-time actor, composer, and director of stage, screen, and TV since the 1930s. This cartoon came near the end of his career, as he'd retired by the late 1990s and died around 2004. The DM is a well known figure within "the realm," with a reputation of being both noble and enigmatic. He seems to know everything, yet is sparing and strategic about what he reveals, and usually speaks in riddles or other poetic terms. He's far from omnipotent but has many magical abilities, especially when it comes to traveling wherever he wants. He constantly alludes to being able to either take the kids home or direct them to a path which leads to it, but these often don't pan out or the kids have to sacrifice that chance for a greater good. Sort of like "Glinda the Good Witch" from "WIZARD OF OZ," he feels it is easier to manipulate lost kids into dealing with enemies and threats to "the realm" rather than just doing it himself, for reasons. He briefly shares his power with Eric in order to prove a point to the boy, which helps facilitate Eric's lessoning cowardice in later seasons. Deep down he does care about the kids, and many other innocents in "the realm," and in the season 3 episode, "The Dungeon At The Heart of Dawn," he nearly sacrifices himself trying to save the kids from "the Nameless One" who may as well be evil incarnate.

Last but not least is Venger, voiced by Peter Cullen (at least a year before his most famous role, Optimus Prime on "TRANSFORMERS"). The one-horned bat-winged sorcerer is one of the main sources of all evil in "the realm," commanding an army of orcs and frequently running enslavement operations or prisons (mostly of dwarves). His primary goals, besides general evilness, are claiming the children's "weapons of power" to make himself stronger, and ridding the realm of them for meddling in his schemes. Whenever people talk about the "coolest villains from 1980s cartoons," Venger almost never comes up, which is a shame. Unlike many villains, even Megatron or Mum-Ra, Venger is never played for laughs and never screws around. He does not joke, or suffer fools (or rivals), or make many idle boasts. His primary minion is the obviously named Shadow-Demon, voiced by veteran voice actor Bob Holt), who spies for Venger and is terrified of him. Venger genuinely tries to capture, imprison, or "destroy" the kids on many occasions. Some of his appearances get more rare after the first season, when he was in virtually every episode. The only force in "the realm" that he fears and cannot defeat is Tiamat. The link between he and Dungeon Master arises in the second and third seasons, that goes in tags below. I imagine a great deal of the "demonic footage" that so scared the soccer moms of the era came from him, and admittedly, much of it was more intense than other shows of the time.

As a Marvel Productions joint, it reuses a lot of the same sound effects and musical scores which were common in virtually all of their shows, going back to 1978's "FANTASTIC FOUR" or 1979's "SPIDER-WOMAN" (back when the company was known as DFE Films). These scores were extremely common in Marvel's cartoons from the 1980s so if you ever watched 1981's "SPIDER-MAN," 1982's "SPIDER-MAN & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS" or "INCREDIBLE HULK." you will be in familiar territory. Bob Holt's "Hulk yell" became one of their stock sound effects which they reused all the time, even in "TRANSFORMERS: THE MOVIE" for some of Unicron's yells. The show also shares some sound effects from "STAR WARS," and some references to them are made on occasion. "D&D" did have its own musical score, especially for the intro, outro, and for Venger's theme (because all cool villains need their own themes). But most of the time my ears were in Marvel-land I was expecting Iceman or Firestar to show up. Toei Animation in Japan animated the series and it holds up better than many shows of the time, likely because Marvel Productions' main competitor was Filmation. It also helped that at 27 episodes, the order numbers were low; season 1 was 13 episodes, season 2 was eight and season 3 had six (with one final episode which was written but never produced). It is a shame that CBS even ordered it in the first place yet shrank the episode orders every time. After the series ended, Marvel Productions would rerun it with their block of other shows for local syndication until 1991, and even after it popped up on cable stations sometimes.

Most of the episodes were written by Jeffrey Scott and the late Michael Reaves. Other writers who wrote some or multiple episodes included Paul Dini, Buzz Dixon, and the late Steve Gerber and Katherine Lawrence. While there are comedic moments, usually centered around Eric or Uni, the tone of the show is kept serious, with many elements of darkness. It is easy to see how the show may have freaked parents out compared to He-Man or My Little Pony. By 1985 (the last season), the National Coalition on Television Violence even demanded that the FTC run a warning during each broadcast, which is insane, since the violence is tame compared to "ADVENTURE TIME" nowadays.

Spoiler:

Jeffrey Scott writes the vast majority of the episodes across all seasons; nine of them across seasons 1-2. Michael Reaves is second at 7 episodes across seasons 2-3, including all of the best or most "controversial" ones. He was still years away from writing for "BATMAN: TAS" or "GARGOYLES" but it was already obvious here that his scripting was on another level for the medium. I could tell the difference in quality even without seeing the credits. As for other odds and ends, it may not surprise anyone that Steve Gerber, the co-creator of Marvel's Man-Thing, wrote an episode which ALSO featured a tragic, near mindless swamp monster. Some writers just have a theme.

Not only did this "D&D" cartoon have negative attention from censors and soccer moms over "content," but it also was the subject of no end of "dark theories" or "rumors" or "folk memory" from fans. One of the most constant, which one of my best friends in high school once claimed and that Michael Reaves, on his own website, had to debunk, was the "theory" that the kids died in the roller coaster and "the realm" was either Hell or the underworld. Reaves stated that that was never their intention, and even if it was, CBS would have nixed it and demanded a rewrite. This was a show, despite how serious it often was, which still used the word "destroy" instead of "kill" or "die" or "murder."

The 28th episode, written by Reaves and titled "REQUIEM," was unproduced when CBS decided to cancel the show rather than renew it for a fourth season. The show was never released on video until 2006, when BCI digitally remastered it and even went thru the expense of recording a "radio play" version of "Requiem" as a feature on the set. The play not only featured Katie Leigh reprising the role of Sheila (and voicing Bobby), but other voice actors in the roles including Wally Wingert as Hank, Daniel Roebuck as Eric, and Neil Kaplan (from DIGIMON) as Venger. Frank Welker was credited again as Uni, but I think they just reused his audio tracks. This box set went out of print when BCI went out of business. The series was rereleased on DVD, without any features and with syndication versions of many episodes, by Mill Creek Entertainment in 2009 before it, too, went out of print. That was the version I got, for what I'd say was a reasonable price for an out of print DVD set from a third party seller on Amazon. $40 for something like that is fair; in contrast, I have seen used sets for stuff like CAPTAIN N: THE GAME MASTER or SONIC (SATURDAY MORNINGS) for $200-plus. The PDF for "Requiem" was available on Reaves' old website and can be easily found online; even Wikipedia offers a link.

However, if you want to see a fan-animated version of the episode, it can be found here:
Spoiler:

I definitely enjoyed the rewatch, and for my money the show holds up way better than many others from the 1980s. The series was streamed on Twitch two years ago but I don't know if it is available there still. The kids, supposedly, have a quick cameo in the last D&D film. IDW Publishing is also releasing a 4 issue mini series told within the same show's universe, albeit by different writers so whether or not it is "canon" is up to the reader. Hank's way more of jerk in it, while Sheila is bolder and Diana got a redesign so she isn't just in boots and a fur bikini. Home video or streaming rights may be more complicated now that D&D is owned by Hasbro but the cartoon is technically owned by Marvel/Disney. It may still be on YouTube for all I know, but either way, if you haven't seen it and are in the mood for a cool 1980s fantasy cartoon which isn't terribly long, "DUNGEONS & DRAGONS: TAS" may scratch that itch.
Datelessman
Datelessman

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri May 19, 2023 8:16 pm

Guys... season 3 of Picard was... uh... good? As in, I think I unironically enjoyed the whole thing, and it felt like it was written by people who'd actually watched TNG and understood the characters? It was kinda heavy on the fanservice and nostalgia, but in an actually nice way, like the best TNG movie that never got made.

Anyway, it was... actually good? What a stunning and pleasant surprise.

(I never watched seasons 1-2 of Picard and enjoyed 3 just fine - it seems almost entirely unrelated to the first 2 seasons, which is probably a good thing.)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 25 of 27 Previous  1 ... 14 ... 24, 25, 26, 27  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum