NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 29 Empty Re: Rants

Post by BiSian Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:37 pm

Dont you dare vaguebook as you talk shit about my wonderful sister. In particular don't you dare say that she's in the wrong for avoiding you AFTER you called her a slut--yeah I think her being single is about 100 times better than your life choices. Fuck off and no love --BiSian
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:12 pm

I hate how robotic local news reporters and anchors are. I don't get it, why do they train them to be that way!?!

Good thing the only time I see them is if my parents happen to turn it on when I'm in the room.

Last edited by The Wisp on Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:29 pm

The Wisp wrote:I hate how robot local news reporters and anchors are. I don't get it, why do they train them to be that way!?!

Good thing the only time I see them is if my parents happen to turn it on when I'm in the room.

I'm currently in a Media Announcing class where we have to do something like that. The problem isn't so much that they're trained that way, but rather that they're useless without the teleprompter. Some people are naturally gifted and can add a little personality into the newscast. Others cannot do so well, depends on the individual a lot. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:19 am

Life's really weird. And fleeting.

One of my uncles (the only one I happen to have met, too) very, very suddenly died on Sunday. Apparently he was sitting with a friend after a night out and enjoying a cup of tea, when in the middle laughing at a joke he just fell off the chair and was dead before he even hit the ground. Catastrophic aneurysm, most likely.

I'm still stunned that he's gone, if only because one minute I'm sitting with my Dad about to go out for a coffee and the next minute he gets a call that his older brother is dead.

Oh yeah, my mum was sent to the hospital again on Saturday night too.

Not enjoying this shitty run of luck our family has had the last few years. The cosmos can knock that shit off ASAP thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:33 am

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that, MapWater.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:35 am

That's horrible, I'm sorry those things have happened, Mapwater.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:37 am

Oh God, MapWater, that's awful. I'm so sorry your family is going through that.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:43 am

That feel when you finally finish your short little intern film...

...but then you realize can't color grade and color correct due to inconsistent lighting in the sequence and have to go in and edit the colors clip by clip.

Rants - Page 29 V72ssPs

(pssst the pic is clickable! :DDD)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:25 pm

Thanks guys.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:01 am

THIS FUGGIN' PUPPET

Rants - Page 29 Topgear_table_flip

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:32 pm

It really pisses me off when scientists who work in the hard sciences act like they have expertise on philosophical and social scientific issues that are related to their field of study. An astrophysicist doesn't know more about the philosophical issues raised by man's place in the universe than an educated layman, a climate scientist doesn't know more about the social and political effects of climate change than an educated layman, a neuroscientist doesn't know more about what it means to be human than an educated layman.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:49 pm

The Wisp wrote:It really pisses me off when scientists who work in the hard sciences act like they have expertise on philosophical and social scientific issues that are related to their field of study. An astrophysicist doesn't know more about the philosophical issues raised by man's place in the universe than an educated layman, a climate scientist doesn't know more about the social and political effects of climate change than an educated layman, a neuroscientist doesn't know more about what it means to be human than an educated layman.

Takes me back to when I was reading Isaac Asimov's essays from his feud with William Shockley over developmental psychology. Mostly it seemed to me Asimov was pretty good about being honest with his own lack of expertise in the field, and spent the rest of his time calling Shockley out on his racist regressive BS and pointing out that being a brilliant engineer does not automatically make one an authority on social statistics.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:03 am

Old fuddy duddy gripe: What the hell ever happened to educational television? Where's my channel that's space exploration and dinosaurs and nature documentaries and the occasional feature on random things that are completely true and also interesting? No conspiracy theories, no pseudoscience, no weird families or medical documentaries. Just David Attenborough's soothing voice saying cool facts about the world and lots of pretty pictures.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:11 am

eselle28 wrote:Old fuddy duddy gripe: What the hell ever happened to educational television? Where's my channel that's space exploration and dinosaurs and nature documentaries and the occasional feature on random things that are completely true and also interesting? No conspiracy theories, no pseudoscience, no weird families or medical documentaries. Just David Attenborough's soothing voice saying cool facts about the world and lots of pretty pictures.

You can occasionally still find interesting stuff on The Science Channel, though quality stuff is sporadic and it's mostly reruns of reality shows only tenuously connected to science. They were doing "Through the Wormhole" for awhile, which was pretty good. PBS' Nova still fits that mold.

I hear you, though. I fondly remember watching science documentaries on The Science Channel and Discovery with my dad when I was really young (like 6-12). There was cool stuff on those channels every day. Now, the actually educational television is a few times a year special on otherwise reality tinged channels.

And TLC and The History Channel? None of what they once were remains.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:24 am

If you can get Canadian channels, TVO has a reasonable amount of stuff on the history side of things - Victorian Farm Show, Time Team (terrible, terrible archeology!), random documentaries.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:51 am

The Wisp wrote:
You can occasionally still find interesting stuff on The Science Channel, though quality stuff is sporadic and it's mostly reruns of reality shows only tenuously connected to science. They were doing "Through the Wormhole" for awhile, which was pretty good. PBS' Nova still fits that mold.

I hear you, though. I fondly remember watching science documentaries on The Science Channel and Discovery with my dad when I was really young (like 6-12). There was cool stuff on those channels every day. Now, the actually educational television is a few times a year special on otherwise reality tinged channels.

And TLC and The History Channel? None of what they once were remains.

I do still DVR Nova, and Netflix fills in a lot of gaps as well, but yeah. There's something to be said for just being able to turn on the TV to a certain channel and having something that's interesting and cool play in the background for a few hours while you otherwise go about your business. And, yeah, channels that used to focus on areas other than science have likewise gone downhill. A&E used to have really interesting history stuff. TLC used to be more than a reality channel. Bleh.

Enail wrote:If you can get Canadian channels, TVO has a reasonable amount of stuff on the history side of things - Victorian Farm Show, Time Team (terrible, terrible archeology!), random documentaries.

Although I only live an hour and a half (although I've somehow always gotten there so much quicker...) from the border, it's the border of Saskatchewan. I would jump up and down happily to get Canadian TV (especially since discovering Orphan Black, one of my favorite shows in a long time and which makes me wonder what else I'm missing), but we're too far and all my friends who have tried have been sad.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindancing Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:00 am

I am seriously considering punching the next person that says anything along the lines of "Happiness is a choice".

Of course, it tends to mostly happen on facebook, so there will be no actual punching, but I will imagine it very vividly.
Raindancing
Raindancing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:52 am

Lulz I fucking suck with girls, I asked out both of the interns I worked with last semester and got a resounding no from both of them.

I ain't even mad, it's more of a "well this is pointless, then". Although, to be fair, I did ask out one of them via Snapchat since the both of them seem to be terrible at texting.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:50 pm

So, I figured that something was up when you cancelled on me several times in a row with excuses about family problems, including on Valentine's Day. And, really, I get it. There's a reason we broke up the first time, and we've never been headed for anything serious. And sometimes you meet someone else. It happens. It's an awkward conversation to have.

Changing your relationship status on Facebook isn't the most tactful way of beginning that conversation.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by azazel Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:30 am

Gaaaahhhh, bro, I know Girl was always wishy washy about her "BF" and was only using him because she didn't want to be alone and couldn't get anything better, but you've got to finally get into your head that She Doesn't Like You That Way.

You keep breaking off contact because you get super depressed she doesn't want anything more than beings friends and she keeps trying to initiate contact again, but seriously, you're surprised the only reason she left her BF was because she had already someone else lined up "and she doesn't even give you a chance"?

I'm head desking so hard right now. I keep trying to convince you it's better for you and her that if you can't be just friends you keep being nothing to her and shouldn't respond to her initiating contact again, but you simply have to keep drinking the liquor with glass shards don't you?

azazel

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:27 pm

I know "social media presence" is all the rage nowadays, but unless you are going to give me more staff and funding for translators for the 32 languages our clients use, us posting crap in English is useless. Besides, 27% of our clientele is illiterate in any language and 43% have no internet access, so can we drop it and use the time to do something useful? No? Whatever.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:08 pm

Your list of things we all need to take care of next week is ridiculous since 1) we're still short-staffed down here and you've demonstrated multiple times you don't give a damn about it, 2) even though we're short-staffed we're probably going to be the ones to do it all anyway because you seem to have some fear of telling your subordinates to pick up slack on tasks like this even though there's a full staff up there so the "we all" is bs and no one down here is buying it.
Add to that, two of the textbooks that magically disappeared and were missing for more than a few days have spontaneously returned, after we all spent every day, for a week, looking for those two books, so now we have to lock up those two books since they are the most asked for. Someone's screwing with us and it pisses me off because it's so unnecessary, and the clues suggest that it's someone who has regular access to this building when we're not here, which means it's someone with a key or who knows someone with a key, which means someone who works in this building, police, or maintenance just took the books and then slipped them back in. It's stupid, because if it's an employee all they have to do is ask to see the book.

Now I feel like I'm living an episode of Scooby-Doo...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:10 pm

More whine than rant. I did something to my back last night. It hurts so much. Ooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:48 pm

Caffeinated wrote:More whine than rant. I did something to my back last night. It hurts so much. Ooooooooowwwwwwwwwww.

As a fellow back pain sufferer, I literally feel your pain. On Saturday I couldn't even squat down to put the locks on my sliding glass door. Sad

Sending Jedi hugs and good vibes.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:49 pm

Yet another article filled to the brim with comments from guys that are like "99% of guys will say yes to random sex! All you have to do is ask them! Guys are always DTF! Women have it so easy!"

Thanks, I love being reminded over and over and over again that I've literally approached dozens of guys and like 1% of them have been "DTF" after much convincing on my part. I sure did need my daily dose of "BTW Your Ugly LOL KBye."
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 29 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum