NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 33 of 40 Previous  1 ... 18 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 33 Empty Re: Rants

Post by Wondering Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:00 pm

eselle28 wrote:A 59-year-old Senator who sits on the United States Senate Judiciary Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law has admitted to never having sent an email. He appears to be proud, or at least unashamed, of being deeply out of touch with something most of his constituents use every day and of having ignored a means of communication that became popular when he was in his 30s.

It's also a sign of economic privilege. Because I have no doubt his staff sends emails necessary for conducting his business every day.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:01 am

Ok, guy with the super loud car bass music who sits in my parking lot for an hour from 11pm to midnight Every. Single. Freaking. Night. If I wanted my whole house to shake for an hour daily while I sat on the couch with a headache, I'd invest in my own speakers.
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:38 am

Second time in under a week that an argument has popped up where I wanted to say something but couldn't. It's not until the next day after the window of discussion has closed does the counter argument form in my head.

In other news: why even ask me if we're still practicing driving when you know damn well I haven't gone anywhere or seen her in a long time since she hasn't been coming over. And don't act like you give a damn when we both know you don't. If you did, you wouldn't dodge the topic when it comes up or act like it's such a bad idea.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:49 pm

Lenovo, your tech specs say 4.9 lbs. There is no model with a weight under 5.7 lbs. I know you've revised the internals from an earlier version, but the difference between a 4th and 5th gen i7 is not 0.8 lbs. Unless you're having issues dispersing heat and the whole thing's made out of hastalloy to keep it from melting into a pile of goo? If that's the case why don't you just use ceramic? I would love a ceramic computer. Until I dropped it.
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:53 pm

I am getting tired of going to meetings that are 2+ hours away and start at 8 am
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:03 pm

A trio of rants:

To self: There a plenty of states between perfect health and minor medical emergencies. Given that you have health insurance, it would be wise to seek medical attention at some point between those extremes.

Also to self: Holy shit, it's okay to ask people for help sometimes. Partial credit awarded for realizing you couldn't drive, but many points docked for even considering it. There are at least a dozen people who you could have called, and not one of them would have minded.

To the virus inflaming my bronchial tubes: Fuck off.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:12 pm

Not a rant per se, but I didn't notice a thread for notable deaths or the like...

Terry Pratchett just died.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:21 pm

PintsizeBro wrote:Not a rant per se, but I didn't notice a thread for notable deaths or the like...

Terry Pratchett just died.

I just saw that. I'd hoped he'd be around for quite awhile longer, so I'm feeling rantier than I should about the randomness of life.

Rants - Page 33 18myou0kz7ujejpg
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:11 pm

Who honestly thinks group projects are ever a good idea?

Get first partner. Meet 2 weeks before project is due, come up with design. Seems good. She then drops the class before doing much coding-maybe? Possibly? Still actually hasn't said? She just didn't show up to class or respond to my emails.

Get a new partner. New partner admits he hasn't done much of any coding yet. Say it's fine, because my code is about 70% done and mostly functional (albeit in need of clean-up and "UI prettiness", but that can come last.) Give him what I have, and tell him to code A, B and C. Agree to meet a few days before the project is due.

Finally hear from him 3 days before project is due. He decided "A, B and C" meant "rewrite absolutely all the code" I had already done. His code is confusing, actually has less functionality (so now 70% is done to 50%), and he hasn't even touched A, B and C. Now have 2 days to try to figure out his freaking code* and try to write the A, B and C parts we freaking needed in the first place. Even better, if we turn his project in, it looks like I did freaking nothing when he was the one who waited until the weekend before the project to work on it.

Hate group school projects. Hate them. Hate them with a burning, fiery passion.

*For example, he inexplicably decided to change my ArrayList to a LinkedList and remove about 75% of my methods. Hey, dude, there is a reason I wrote out a method of my own instead of using "pop", because it's way easier to trouble shoot mine. Showing off how very clever you are isn't very effective if yours isn't freaking working right.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:26 pm

Beautiful looking fruit that smells great, but has no flavor or is mealy is sadness making
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:40 pm

>died not a day ago
>already shit like this: https://i.imgur.com/4y03MoB.png
Yes, yes, tacky social signalling when the body isn't cold is par for the course on the web, but it's my fav author so this is just plain annoying.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:24 am

Glad I'm not the only one pissed off by that comment. Talk about poor taste.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Mar 13, 2015 12:55 pm

I'm tired, and gradually falling behind in classes because of being tired.
Prior to the daylight savings crap I was having trouble with sleep and getting actual rest and that just made it worse. Now I'll have to try and get a new bed ASAP, but I suspect that's not going to solve the problem and I'll have to figure out something more drastic, or visit the doctor (ugh).
six more hours to fight through, but I can't crash when I get home because I have to play catch up in these classes and I'll probably be busy tomorrow.
At least now I know why I spent the past week slacking off on my work.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 13, 2015 11:42 pm

I'm having a serious "I hate being a Jew" moment.

Not the religion itself, though I don't seem to get along with most of my people due to my absolute hatred of organized religion. But that's my fault more than anything.

What I hate about being a Jew is that we're Public Enemy Number One to every religious wacko out there. And since I live in the Deep South, it's about ten times worse.

If I wanted to be treated like I was mentally retarded (don't get all PC on me, it's an actual term and I want to use it), I'd probably really like those people. I like being treated like an animal because I don't believe in their precious Jesus.

Meanwhile they don't seem to realize that I hate Jesus more every time one of those fuckers mention him.

And no, I'm not saying all Christians are bad, put down your dumbfuck pitchforks. You're mostly alright, but it's the wackos who get on my nerves, and I seem to meet way too many of those.

Seriously, being a Jew means that literally everyone on the planet with some extremist religious inclination, including Orthodox Jews, want you tortured and murdered. And I hate being hated for living.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:24 am

<mod>Nice try, but "don't get all PC on me" is not a legit way to ward off moderation, and neither is "I want to use it." Slurs are often actual terms in one sense or another, but it's a phrase that can be pretty hurtful and is usually used only in the context of insulting people these days, so please don't use it here.Thanks, Glides!</mod>

ETA: That's funny, there was another mod note here before after this one. 'Extremist' is a very strong and generally insulting term to apply to someone's religion, and should be used with caution. While there are Orthodox Judaic sects that are considered by some to be extremists, it's not a term generally applied to Orthodox Judaism as a whole, and it's not appropriate to casually throw it around that way here.

Last edited by Enail on Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:49 am

Oh, client, I know it's a long term project and I'm sure you know as well as we do that it's been on everyone's backburner. But asking at noon on Friday that it be finalized on Monday is a rather cruel thing to do, not just to the people scurrying to complete it over the weekend but also to a person who you've never heard of or interacted with who will have to put it all together in a hurry on Monday morning because the person who'd normally do that isn't telepathic and will be on vacation then.

Also, a continued fuck you to the virus in my bronchial tracts.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:21 am

reboundstudent wrote:Who honestly thinks group projects are ever a good idea?

Get first partner. Meet 2 weeks before project is due, come up with design. Seems good. She then drops the class before doing much coding-maybe? Possibly? Still actually hasn't said? She just didn't show up to class or respond to my emails.

Get a new partner. New partner admits he hasn't done much of any coding yet. Say it's fine, because my code is about 70% done and mostly functional (albeit in need of clean-up and "UI prettiness", but that can come last.) Give him what I have, and tell him to code A, B and C. Agree to meet a few days before the project is due.

Finally hear from him 3 days before project is due. He decided "A, B and C" meant "rewrite absolutely all the code" I had already done. His code is confusing, actually has less functionality (so now 70% is done to 50%), and he hasn't even touched A, B and C. Now have 2 days to try to figure out his freaking code* and try to write the A, B and C parts we freaking needed in the first place. Even better, if we turn his project in, it looks like I did freaking nothing when he was the one who waited until the weekend before the project to work on it.

Hate group school projects. Hate them. Hate them with a burning, fiery passion.

*For example, he inexplicably decided to change my ArrayList to a LinkedList and remove about 75% of my methods. Hey, dude, there is a reason I wrote out a method of my own instead of using "pop", because it's way easier to trouble shoot mine. Showing off how very clever you are isn't very effective if yours isn't freaking working right.

First off, that sucks balls. I hate group projects too for pretty much the same reasons.

Disclaimer: This is what I would do, your mileage may vary. Can you finish your code on your own if he refuses to use it?

I would then tell him I finished it and we're handing in my code. Of course, what I'd really like to do is send it to the prof and tell him my partner refuses to cooperate and therefore I finished it myself, but I'm conflict averse so that's not really an option. But by finishing it myself at least I spare myself the annoyance of having to work together with such an asshole.

Lastly, feel free to post here if you need help troubleshooting! We're happy to help!

Siderant: unemployment sucks baaaaaaalls. I need stuff to do Razz
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:43 am

eselle28 wrote:Oh, client, I know it's a long term project and I'm sure you know as well as we do that it's been on everyone's backburner. But asking at noon on Friday that it be finalized on Monday...

I hope you're billing them $5,000 an hour for rush delivery.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindancing Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:37 pm

The city of San Antonio should only be referred to as "San Antone" in songs written before 1980. Do not come here and think you sound like a local when you call the nearby city that. You don't sound like a local, you sound like an asshole who insists on anglicizing everything.
Raindancing
Raindancing

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:27 pm

My grandma had a stroke, and my ex decided he was going to try to meet with me after my vacation. I finally put my foot down and said "No, I have things going on in my life, meet with me tomorrow for stuff exchange or get them from Friend X. Then we are going no contact for at least 3 monthes.".

I'm just tired of all this shit happening at once. I'm half parnaoid one of my cats will die or something while I"m gone, just to pile on the clusterf*ck that is my life right now Sad Sad Sad
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 am

I can't do a rant attacking political point-scoring without sounding like a political point-scorer myself, but whatever, hobgoblin of small minds and all that lark.

You do nothing but preach to the choir, because every time you venture outside of the crowd that already agrees with you, your posturing shit-flinging gets answered in kind and suddenly it's law of the jungle and a dire need for more speech laws. Yes, I know that is a sentiment you utter in exasperation and would gladly protest if it does get put into legislation on some dire day, but do you not have an ounce of self-awareness of the plurality of perspectives that actually exist in the world? Do you only seek out voices that are easy enough to screencap and snark at? Lord knows I love a good laugh , but I try my hardest to not let those moments of indulgence stiffle my thinking. I'm sure it's the internet or something, because I never seem to encounter this sort of deranged hotboxing in meatspace.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:18 pm

Mom,
please stop responding to all of my discussions about moving heavy things with "You need a man" when you know from first hand experience having "a man" around isn't a guarantee you won't be doing all the hard work yourself. It suggests that men are strong by default and women simply cannot be strong enough to move heavy things despite all of your daughters having to move large pieces of furniture on many occasions (for you and ourselves) and coming out fine.
Now, if you know of "a man" who is strong enough to handle moving all this awkward, heavy furniture down a flight of stairs and is more reliable than the males we currently know, say so and I'll try asking him. Until then, stop saying I need a man when we talk about furniture.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:41 pm

I like seeing friends and I believe it's important, as a friend, to do things that show support during the big events in their lives. Birthdays, promotions, engagements, weddings, kids.... I'm going to be there for all of them.

But these just keep happening, these days, and I pretty much always find myself feeling extra shitty in the following days. I know that's all on me; it's entirely an attitude/mindset thingy. It's also...not something I have a lot of control over, lately. I think that's the most frustrating part: there's no solution.

Nothing's going to change, because I'm not going to change. I don't have anything to offer. Just gotta recognize that already; find a way to move past.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:14 am

"What should I do?

Should I admit I've made mistakes? That I've done this before? Should I give you a history lesson? Should I sell shoes? Shiny new shoes? Should I stop listening to my friends? (They're my friends...)

[...]

Or should we start over?

What should I do?" - Lebron James as quoted by The Mikey

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:23 pm

-Exhaustion from lack of sleep
-Migraine from what feels like a possible sinus issue

Alright body you win, I'll schedule a damn doctor's appointment
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down