NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

+25
litterature
PintsizeBro
reboundstudent
V
Hirundo Bos
The Wisp
kath
TheRoux
KMR
eselle28
Enail
trooper6
Jayce
reboot
Wondering
Robjection
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
Caffeinated
nearly_takuan
caliseivy
InkAndComb
BasedBuzzed
Werel
fakely mctest
29 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 6 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Caffeinated Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:03 pm

Thank you KMR and Sky!
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 6 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:52 am

Those of you non-Americans:

In your recipes, do you use teaspoons and tablespoons, even though they're not metric? Or do you use metric measurements for things that small? If so, what are they called?

I assume for cups you use metric measurements in liter fractions and multiples. But maybe not?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:14 am

I'm in Norway, and we use teaspoons and tablespoons. In my experience at least, they're used as approximate rather than precise measurements – I don't know their equivalent in liters at all, or any other units of volume. And you're right about cups, we don't use them. (Other than for drinking coffee and stuff.)
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:10 pm

Canadians use tsp, tbsp and cups. The ones in my kitchen also have a metric measurement written on them in millilitres, but I'd say most people only really use the metric equivalent with cups and wouldn't be able to tell you offhand what a tsp or tbsp is in mL.  

But since we use a mix of metric and imperial in general, I don't know how much that relates to other places.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:28 pm

Yeah, I was thinking that Commonwealth countries may use more standard measurements than other countries, so I'm glad to see both a Commonwealth and non-Commonwealth answer. Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Canada is more messed up on this stuff than the other Commonwealth countries, though, so I think you still don't have a complete picture! Wink
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:08 pm

Oh, yes. A non-cooking example, on the Alaska Highway through the Yukon and norrrrthern BC, even though the distance markers on the road are in kilometers, the addresses are all still miles: Such and Such Lodge, Mile 530, Alaska Highway. Smile

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:35 pm

Question for those of you who don't have kids and don't want them. If you had friends (not super good friends, just friends friends) whose house you had been over to for dinner and who you had also had over for dinner at your own place, and those friends then had a kid who is now a toddler, would you be interested in going to their place for dinner currently, while the toddler is a toddler?

Asking for, um, a friend! Yeah, that's it.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:00 am

Yes, I definitely still would, and I'm very much not a kid person. Especially b/c most of the people I know in their 30s who don't want kids are worried about losing touch with friends who have kids.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:16 am

Wondering wrote:Question for those of you who don't have kids and don't want them. If you had friends (not super good friends, just friends friends) whose house you had been over to for dinner and who you had also had over for dinner at your own place, and those friends then had a kid who is now a toddler, would you be interested in going to their place for dinner currently, while the toddler is a toddler?

Asking for, um, a friend! Yeah, that's it.

I have a couple of friends who that applies to. One of them actually has two toddlers, so her house is very busy. Both friendships basically consist of evenings like you describe and sending each other text messages. It's a nice way to catch up with an old friend or get to know a newer one better (in my case, I met both of the women after they were already mothers), especially for people who are already used to socializing over dinner at home rather than only going out to bars.

And, yeah, sometimes toddlers have bad days that don't coordinate with when their parents have guests. It happens. It's not that big of a deal. I have met some people who don't have children who really aren't up for that, but I think that most of them telegraph that long before their friends' children hit that age. To the extent there was some awkwardness, it was because my place and particularly my pets aren't all that suited to hosting children, but I worked out some ways with each woman where it feels like there's a reasonable amount of reciprocation.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:46 am

I wouldn't have any problem with it. There are some childfree folks who get militant and arrogant about it, but you should be able to spot them easily. They key here is that your guests are visiting, and if the kids get weird or barfy, then your guests have the freedom to leave if they want to.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:31 pm

Thanks for the comments. This makes me feel more comfortable about offering an invitation for dinner.

I do have several friends who are anti-kid, as in they are the sorts who call parents "breeders" and make snide comments about kids every so often. So that colors my perception of any childfree people's attitude toward being around kids.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:43 pm

Oh, one thought, though. People with young kids tend to be a little more casual about said kids' bodily fluids than those without might be, so some extra care around that point would probably be appreciated (not that you can stop your kid from producing bodily fluids, but maybe don't let hands that have been in their mouths go straight into passing out food or change diapers on the dinner table (my sister tried to do that in a restaurant!?! Suspect))
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:53 pm

No worries there! I am NOT a fan of bodily fluids, especially saliva. And I don't tell stories about puke, poop, or urine, and especially not at the dinner table. The casualness with bodily fluids comes from me just testing my blood where the heck ever. Prerequisite of being friends with me. Grin

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:12 pm

Wondering wrote:I do have several friends who are anti-kid, as in they are the sorts who call parents "breeders" and make snide comments about kids every so often.

Yeah, those folks are assholes who probably use the term "crotchfruit" sincerely. I wouldn't invite them to dinner, or anything else at all.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:37 pm

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 6 Screen10 confused

Does anybody else's Word do this? Like, the past tense of "to color"? What's the problem, spellcheck, are you trying to stop me from accidentally being offensive?
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:17 am

My version of Word doesn't do that, so I have no idea. Shrug

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:08 am

Perhaps it's set to British English? Does it also have a problem with coloured?
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskadee Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:39 pm

Is there a reasonably easy way to report very discriminatory job ads? I just ran into this shit:

"preference is causasian / born in America (not a foreigner) - sorry but its unusual to find this otherwise. "

(Good work spelling, btw. At least you're a smart rassist.)
Kiskadee
Kiskadee

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:42 pm

Are you in the US? The EEOC website has a little tool to decide if it's a case they'd take, and their local offices are usually pretty helpful.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Kiskadee Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:11 pm

I had seen that tool, but it looks like you have to demonstrate that you have personally been discriminated against. I'm white, I just think it should be taken down and the company fined or something.

I tried reporting it to the website where it was posted.
Kiskadee
Kiskadee

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:09 am

Ah, yeah, if it was on a job site definitely report it to the site. I might also just forward a screenshot to your local EEOC office--in case someone else files a complaint against that company, it'd be helpful to have a record of their crappiness established.

Edit: while I'm not intending to do EEOC evangelism here, they really did have my back astonishingly well when I was dealing with this junk, so even if you're as skeptical as me about government services, give it a shot. Wink
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:43 pm

Okay got a question:

I'm trying to get a birthday gift for my uncle, who's in his 40's, but I don't know what to get him. He's been in the military most of my life, much of that overseas so I don't know what he likes.
Is there a site or some general type of gift that's nice and appropriate for an older guy? All I can find are terrible shirts and baby stuff.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:15 pm

caliseivy wrote:Okay got a question:

I'm trying to get a birthday gift for my uncle, who's in his 40's, but I don't know what to get him. He's been in the military most of my life, much of that overseas so I don't know what he likes.
Is there a site or some general type of gift that's nice and appropriate for an older guy? All I can find are terrible shirts and baby stuff.

How about a book you like? If you choose a reasonably safe book, I think it can be both generic and personal enough so it might be good as a gift for someone you don't know terribly well.

By the way, what do you think about publishing screenshots of IM convos where someone expresses bigoted opinions? Is it unethical, provided you remove all personal information? I recently ran into trouble for criticising an acquaintance who had randomly played the #notallcis card in an absurd context where gender wasn't part of the discussion at all.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:54 pm

litterature wrote:By the way, what do you think about publishing screenshots of IM convos where someone expresses bigoted opinions? Is it unethical, provided you remove all personal information? I recently ran into trouble for criticising an acquaintance who had randomly played the #notallcis card in an absurd context where gender wasn't part of the discussion at all.
In a large, anonymous internet setting, I think it's fine. Frankly, I think that unless people have some power to do that, it ends up being very hard for them to document abusive behavior to those who don't share their experiences.

If the situation is more along the lines of emailing a couple of friends, posting the messages on Facebook, or sharing them in a small internet community where the person will see their own words being posted and others might identify them by grammar and subject matter alone, then I think it should be considered to be the same as calling someone out by name. That doesn't mean it's never appropriate, because sometimes bad behavior needs to be disclosed so people can make decisions about how they maintain their relationships with the person in question, but I think the same ethical consideration apply and I'd say that kind of disclosure is probably best done without any attempt to anonymize.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum