NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 9 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by Conreezy Fri May 01, 2015 6:41 pm

Channing Tatum To Star In The Forever War Movie

Jesus Christ.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri May 01, 2015 8:35 pm

reboundstudent wrote:Do we really have to compare everything unfavorably to Daredevil?? I've seen several different reviewers this week talking about fight scenes in SHIELD and Avengers 2 by constantly comparing them to the fight scenes in Daredevil. I have mostly made peace with the fact that I am the only person on Earth who doesn't like this show, but why is it I just can't enjoy some other franchise without constantly being reminded that it's inferior and not-as-good as this completely different show?
Personally, I thought Ben Affleck wasn't so bad, but the movie stunk.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 01, 2015 9:36 pm

reboundstudent wrote:Do we really have to compare everything unfavorably to Daredevil?? I've seen several different reviewers this week talking about fight scenes in SHIELD and Avengers 2 by constantly comparing them to the fight scenes in Daredevil. I have mostly made peace with the fact that I am the only person on Earth who doesn't like this show, but why is it I just can't enjoy some other franchise without constantly being reminded that it's inferior and not-as-good as this completely different show?

I've never been so hot on Daredevil in general, so this is just another silly argument for me. I just want those rumors of The Punisher getting his own show to be true because I would watch that shit in an instant.

bomaye wrote:Please just be civilian get-up Sad

Agreed. :\

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu May 07, 2015 12:34 am

I am enjoying Sons of Anarchy but goddamn have I had to suspend my disbelief to the point where it cannot be stretched further. This is likely due to my knowledge of outlaw biker gangs via a rather fucked up bit of my family. So, so, so romanticized and exactly how those assholes see themselves, but nothing like reality.

At least there is age appropriate eye candy thanks to Jimmy Smith, Benito Martinez, Titus Welliver, Tommy Flanagan, and Rockmond Dunbar
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Thu May 07, 2015 7:57 pm

Thanos just isn't hyping future films for me, an all powerful alien overlord who I know nothing about, kind of like that dark elf guy from Thor the Dark World, or that other purple villain guy from Guardians, or that guy in the latest Superman movie. They just don't seem like good villains, I'd rather have Loki, The Winter Soldier, some more human-esque seeming villains in the personality department, with super powers.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu May 07, 2015 11:04 pm

I will say there is an extremely humanizing element about Thanos, but that may be a spoiler for a future movie, so I'll keep it at that.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri May 08, 2015 3:59 am

I haven't seen those comparisons but I'm with you. I like DD but its tonally very different from Avengers and its slice of the MCU. The fight scenes of both should and do reflect that.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri May 08, 2015 8:32 pm

Age of Ultron was a fun action movie, don't get me wrong, it was worth the ticket price, but...

Age of Ultron Spoilers:
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Fri May 08, 2015 9:00 pm

The Wisp wrote:Age of Ultron was a fun action movie, don't get me wrong, it was worth the ticket price, but...

Age of Ultron Spoilers:

Spoilers:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat May 09, 2015 2:31 am

litterature wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Age of Ultron was a fun action movie, don't get me wrong, it was worth the ticket price, but...

Age of Ultron Spoilers:

Spoilers:

More Ultron spoilers:
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu May 14, 2015 3:29 pm

Why did the Jem remake decide to turn her into a teenager? She wasn't a kid in the TV show. When she wasn't a singer, she was an adult who ran a record company and raised foster kids. I think the people who are making this are kidding themselves if they think there's a significant chance of attracting today's teenagers, and I can't imagine that the 30-something women who make up the existing fanbase would prefer to see a Hannah Montana spinoff rather than something a little more faithful to the original.

Also, as everyone else has asked, where are the holograms? In today's world of special effects, they can't honestly be telling me that they couldn't have somehow worked holograms into the story.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu May 14, 2015 5:03 pm

I hear the comic reboot is going swimmingly.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu May 14, 2015 5:15 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:I hear the comic reboot is going swimmingly.

Yes, I keep seeing praise for that in discussions about the trailer, to the point where I'm thinking about just reading some of that and pretending the movie doesn't exist. The art looks cool, at least, and is much more in keeping with the over the top show I liked as a kid.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 9 Jem-and-the-Holograms-comic-version
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 4:20 pm

This isn't a rant, but moreso a post of remembrance and respect and a tiny bit of sorrow.

B.B. King, one of the most influential blues guitar players of our time died today. He was 89, so I'm not terribly hurt since he had a long and influential career. Here's to you, Riley B. "Blues Boy" King.

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Fri May 15, 2015 5:39 pm

eselle28 wrote:
Gentleman Johnny wrote:I hear the comic reboot is going swimmingly.

Yes, I keep seeing praise for that in discussions about the trailer, to the point where I'm thinking about just reading some of that and pretending the movie doesn't exist. The art looks cool, at least, and is much more in keeping with the over the top show I liked as a kid.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 9 Jem-and-the-Holograms-comic-version

That looks like Steven Universe fanart, doesn't it? Not that it's a bad thing, it does look really cool...
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri May 15, 2015 6:39 pm

eselle28 wrote:[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 9 Jem-and-the-Holograms-comic-version
What the shit? When did Jem and the Holograms become busty Thundercats?
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 15, 2015 7:08 pm

To paraphrase and simplify a rant I made elsewhere about the same topic, I'm annoyed with the execution of the new Supergirl show. They made her life too much like Kal's, kind of defeating the purpose of her character (at least within the New 52) as a highly critical contrast of Kal's belief in the good of humanity.

...But I'll still give it a shot. Looks fun, at least.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri May 15, 2015 7:35 pm

Disney, what are you thinking?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri May 15, 2015 7:48 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:Disney, what are you thinking?

Wow. I don't know how that got past the laugh test. The closest I can come is some very clueless executive proclaiming that movies about princesses always do well for them.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Sat May 16, 2015 10:18 am

I've been hearing a lot of reports that the new Mad Max is an extremely progressive movie with interesting female characters and strong feminist themes. Awesome. I don't mean that sarcastically, that genuinely is awesome. We need more movies like that and I wish the film-makers every success.

I've also heard reports that the new Mad Max is an incredible action movie that shows modern, CGI over-reliant movies how it should be done. Again, awesome, I hope that catches on.

I still have zero interest in watching it though. Post-apocalypse as a setting does nothing for me and from the trailers I've seen I'm just not interested. I wish people would get off my fucking back about it.
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed May 20, 2015 2:11 am

Caitlyn Snow wrote:What's a singularity?"

So, I get that somebody has to ask the question to give other characters an excuse to explain stuff. But, her not knowing about that in particular makes her look incredibly ignorant for a scientist—especially in contrast to a certain other character immediately understanding what is meant by "accretion disk" even though it'd be perfectly understandable if he was ignorant given that events on his personal timeline influenced him to focus on forensic science over other pursuits.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed May 20, 2015 1:51 pm

<mod>I split the Game of Thrones discussion, which seems like it has legs and might overwhelm the other rants. The new thread can be found here.</mod>
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu May 21, 2015 2:47 am

It seems to me that Ultimatum was in general not very well-received, especially in hindsight. New 52 did so poorly overall that it's already getting rolled back.

So then who the hell imagines "Last Days" is a good direction to take everything in now? How many times are they going to try this "never be the same" crap before it stops being lucrative? Sad
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Thu May 21, 2015 7:16 pm

Maggie Gyllenhaal on Hollywood Ageism: I Was Told 37 Is ‘Too Old’ for a 55-Year-Old Love Interest

That's it, burn it all down.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue May 26, 2015 5:06 am

Caffeinated wrote:
That's it, burn it all down.
On a related note, I just found out that my second in command dodges questions about the age of our cast because she doesn't want to spoil the illusion. The median is somewhere around 30 and the average is probably late 20s. Since when is 30 too old to be sexy?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 15 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum