NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 8 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by waxingjaney Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:36 pm

Wondering wrote:Blade Runner has a sequel? Why?
Conreezy wrote:Exactly. Same things with Independence Day 2. Why? After nearly 20 years, why?

$$$$$, and an aversion to experimentation (which is really an extension of the first).
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:44 pm

waxingjaney wrote:
Wondering wrote:Blade Runner has a sequel? Why?
Conreezy wrote:Exactly. Same things with Independence Day 2.  Why?  After nearly 20 years, why?

$$$$$, and an aversion to experimentation (which is really an extension of the first).

Oh, definitely. Though I think this might be one of the times it backfires. Blade Runner wasn't a huge hit when it was released. It's more of a cult movie that people grew to love over time, and I wonder if it's a little too dark and complex for the sort of mood people are in when they go to see sequels. I mean, I'll probably go see Jurassic Park when it comes out, but that leans a bit more toward being silly fun.

Then again, I thought 50 Shades of Grey would flop too, so sometimes I'm overly optimistic about the market's response to bad movies.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:08 pm

I want a super hero comic where the women don't dress like strippers or like the clothes is painted on
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:23 pm

Captain Marvel?
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:38 am

One obnoxious kind of tokenism, and I see it everywhere, is a character who isn't a straight white man who is in a position power in the story but is ultimately a flat side character, while the main characters are straights, whites, and/or men. These are weak and uninteresting characters, but because they're in power I guess the creator(s) can pretend they're being very progressive.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:30 am

The Wisp wrote:One obnoxious kind of tokenism, and I see it everywhere, is a character who isn't a straight white man who is in a position power in the story but is ultimately a flat side character, while the main characters are straights, whites, and/or men. These are weak and uninteresting characters, but because they're in power I guess the creator(s) can pretend they're being very progressive.

This always bothers me, too! It's a weird thing, but when there's only one POC, and it's the highest-ranked person in the story, it always feels like the creators are saying, "Hey, check it out, black woman as the big boss: now I don't need to worry about any more representation, because it's a powerful person!" And it does seem to be a trend (can we call out The Avengers here?). They're not all even flat or 2-dimensional, but if they're the only POC, then your story isn't really progressive, dude.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am

So I saw a trailer for a movie called Pixels, about aliens impersonating video game characters to invade the world or some shit. And the second Adam Sandler's pudgy fat face appeared, I knew it would be terrible.

Please God, let there be a good video game movie by the end of this decade. It took us a while to get comic book movies right, but let's do the same for video games.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:59 pm

What, The Wizard didn't satisfy you?
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Suika Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:12 pm

The Wisp wrote:One obnoxious kind of tokenism, and I see it everywhere, is a character who isn't a straight white man who is in a position power in the story but is ultimately a flat side character, while the main characters are straights, whites, and/or men. These are weak and uninteresting characters, but because they're in power I guess the creator(s) can pretend they're being very progressive.

They do manage once in a while.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 8 Amanda10

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 8 Fury4

Suika
Suika

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Been reading through the Ultimate Universe, I really wish Mark Millar was smart enough to know that shock-factor for the sake of it isn't entertaining and actively detracts from the rest of the writing. And makes him look like he's some kind of sociopath if you think writing reflects on the writer.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:05 pm

Had to read V for Vendetta for a class a few weeks ago and was disappointed. Seemed to be a cold war era paranoid lefty polemic in graphic novel form. I'm not exactly sure what all the hype is about.

(Of course, I'm also just generally not a fan of the graphic novel form, so that didn't help...)
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:21 am

No sooner did I complain and the next few projects in the Ultimate Marvel Universe are almost completely bereft of shock factor. Thanks Mark Millar for giving me a bit of what I wanted four years before I knew I wanted it Grin
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:13 pm

New Twin Shadow album is bad, y'all. Depressingly bad. Like "listen, son, you've got a five-album contract, so even though you hard-livin' coke-wiped your brain of songwriting and performance capabilities after your initial success, we've assembled a committee to write some tracks for you that we feel will sit well with the appropriate markets." Every song sounds like it was designed specifically for a promo for a werewolf romance CW show or a Nissan commercial. Disapproving
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:30 pm

So, yep, definitely the only person on the Internet that loves SHIELD and dislikes Daredevil. Always fun to read threads that are supposed to be discussing SHIELD instead turn into a long session of how Daredevil is so much better in every single way than SHIELD and how SHIELD sucks and why can't it be awesome like Daredevil.

Sorry, I'll just crawl back under the "You are alone in your taste" rock now...
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:30 pm

You're not alone, maybe in the minority?
I know my brother likes both shows. I haven't seen SHIELD to have an opinion on it.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:43 am

Just finally watching GOT Season 4 and ... warging into Hodor *shivers*

Bran, one does not simply warg into Hodor.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Corvero Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:11 am

I think I'm the only one of my friends who hates Sucker Punch.

But yes, I hate that movie. Even more than Shyamalan's The Last Airbender. Even more than the Eragon movie. I think it even makes the Dungeons and Dragons movie look good. At least that the D&D movie had Jeremy Irons looking goofy and chewing the scenery as an entertainingly bad impression of a mustache-twirling villain.

Sucker Punch almost made me want to stop watching fantasy movies. And I'm a big fantasy fan.
Andrew Corvero
Andrew Corvero

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:28 am

Are you talking about the D&D movie with Marlon Wayans as the comic relief sidekick? That movie was so bad, every time my mother turned it on (she really liked it) I died a little inside.
The people I know who have seen Sucker Punch didn't like it either, I'm a little curious to know what about the movie people liked (hopefully not just chicks in hot outfits fighting).
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Andrew Corvero Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:00 am

Are you talking about the D&D movie with Marlon Wayans as the comic relief sidekick? That movie was so bad, every time my mother turned it on (she really liked it) I died a little inside.

Yep. It's a horrible movie. Wayans' character is incredibly annoying, the story doesn't make sense, the characters are cardboard cutouts, the pace is horrible and the acting is terrible (although Jeremy Irons' character is so over the top and goofy that it made me laugh). And I still think Sucker Punch is worse.

The people I know who have seen Sucker Punch didn't like it either, I'm a little curious to know what about the movie people liked (hopefully not just chicks in hot outfits fighting).

The friends I've seen it with found it "edgy, innovative and clever" because it was a "dark exploration of fantasy" and liked how it was "multi-layered" and "open to different interpretations". One of them even compared it to Pan's Labyrinth in that respect (hell NO).

They also liked the visuals.

I thought it was a huge mess, dark for darkness' sake, horribly paced, the characters were flat, the writing was terrible, the acting was pretty terrible, too (though I don't think it's the actresses' fault as much as the fact they had some horrible material to work with and probably decided it wasn't possible to make it any better) and the exploitation was so blatant and in your face that it was morally objectionable.

I was almost physically repulsed by that movie. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but it almost made me want to puke at the screen.
Andrew Corvero
Andrew Corvero

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 am

Andrew Corvero wrote:
The friends I've seen it with found it "edgy, innovative and clever" because it was a "dark exploration of fantasy" and liked how it was "multi-layered" and "open to different interpretations". One of them even compared it to Pan's Labyrinth in that respect (hell NO).

They also liked the visuals.

I thought it was a huge mess, dark for darkness' sake, horribly paced, the characters were flat, the writing was terrible, the acting was pretty terrible, too (though I don't think it's the actresses' fault as much as the fact they had some horrible material to work with and probably decided it wasn't possible to make it any better) and the exploitation was so blatant and in your face that it was morally objectionable.

I was almost physically repulsed by that movie. I know it sounds a bit extreme, but it almost made me want to puke at the screen.

I'm not sure how I felt about the movie, I think the whole escaping a horrible situation by imagining you're experiencing an entirely different one can be good, but everything else past that was just...odd. Mentally escaping a bad situation by imagining you're in a different situation where you still have to imagine you're in a different situation to escape the false reality is just over the top (yes I know there's a psychological term for that behavior but I can't think of it).

I do love the soundtrack though.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:16 am

I really enjoyed Sucker Punch. It was a series of action set pieces set to music tied together with a plot that only existed as an excuse for the set pieces themselves.

I'm typically not a fan of schlock for schlock's sake, but it's one of the very few exceptions I have.

Honestly, since I was in it for the soundtrack and the choreography matching the soundtrack, I feel like the lack of cohesion between the set pieces was it's main flaw. It could have benefited from having a more consistent imaginary world, I feel.

But, I don't think I care enough about films in general to loathe any to the degree many loathe it though. Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:54 pm

Mannnnnn, Arrow has turned into "everyone sit down, hold hands and cry together" every episode.

And Iris West in Flash is seriously unlikeable because they keep relying on tropes that both of these show drove into the ground
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:42 pm

Ooookay, what?

http://worldofwonder.net/will-smith-premieres-his-deadshot-costume-to-resounding-groans/

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri May 01, 2015 8:23 am

Please just be civilian get-up Sad
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Fri May 01, 2015 10:44 am

Do we really have to compare everything unfavorably to Daredevil?? I've seen several different reviewers this week talking about fight scenes in SHIELD and Avengers 2 by constantly comparing them to the fight scenes in Daredevil. I have mostly made peace with the fact that I am the only person on Earth who doesn't like this show, but why is it I just can't enjoy some other franchise without constantly being reminded that it's inferior and not-as-good as this completely different show?
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum