NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:26 pm

New stats on college rape, get it fresh before the data has been hopelessly butchered and politicized: http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/rsavcaf9513.pdf

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by The Wisp Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:06 pm

I'm sitting here at a college library computer, and a guy in a Christmas elf costume just came jogging through the room, with a big grin on his face, with loud Christmas music playing from his backpack.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:58 pm

When people are allergic to dogs, they're just allergic. When people are allergic to cats, they literally try to convince me to put my cats into a backpack and bring them illegally to the dorm. On risk of THEM DYING. Due to LOVE OF FLUFFINESS.

If only there was a way to harness this for the greater good! I really would love to have a cat-therapy clinic!
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:03 pm

My Arabic makes me sound like Borat. "Is nice! Is very nice."= that was great because I do not know the word for great or past tense
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:05 pm

reboot wrote:My Arabic makes me sound like Borat. "Is nice! Is very nice."= that was great because I do not know the word for great or past tense

I think that's something a lot of people miss when they haven't had any experience trying to speak to someone in a language they don't know very well—we generally know we're using the wrong words, but we don't know the right ones so we try to approximate and hope really hard that the intent gets across anyway.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:15 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:
reboot wrote:My Arabic makes me sound like Borat. "Is nice! Is very nice."= that was great because I do not know the word for great or past tense

I think that's something a lot of people miss when they haven't had any experience trying to speak to someone in a language they don't know very well—we generally know we're using the wrong words, but we don't know the right ones so we try to approximate and hope really hard that the intent gets across anyway.

Truth!

I have the most messed up vocabulary because I learned most of it for work, so I know torture, internally displaced people, bilateral treaty, grave, epidemic, bloody diarrhea, hygiene, etc but can not say the most basic conversation, like "I went to Jordan for the holiday" (me: Jordan me be not now holiday) or "I will go to the store" (me: later store me).

I have so much respect for people that can react basic level of conversation as adults. My brain just gets tired trying.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:23 pm

In my experience, people are amazingly good at understanding the good intents behind awkward, work-around sentences full of poor substitute words.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InkAndComb Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:22 pm

I'm not a fan of the Hobbit (eek don't kill me) but when I mentally genderswapped the characters, it became much more epic for me personally. Thinking of doing this with a ton of my literature now...
InkAndComb
InkAndComb

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:22 am

If I ever learn Arabic, it'd be for the nostalgia factor. So far, I only know how to say: "Salaam Aleykum/Wa'aleykum Salaam", "Yallah! Imshi!", "Shukran" and "Inshallah". My Dad speaks it reasonably well though.

InkAndComb wrote:I'm not a fan of the Hobbit (eek don't kill me)

Pfft, you think that's bad? Watch this:

*ahem*

I couldn't give two shits about Star Wars....

...or Doctor Who.

Come at me Nerds :twisted:

It'll be interesting to see what Marvel will do with Capt. Marvel and the Black Panther (I think it's safe to hope that they won't be portrayed as Token blonde woman and black guy). Kevin Feige claims that Carol Danvers will be one of the most powerful heroes within the MCU. But exactly how powerful though? I mean, MCU Thor has been incredibly de-powered just so he's easier to write for. So how exactly do you make a Superman-esque character compelling?

And hopefully T'challa and the rest of the Wakandans won't merely be portrayed as noble savages.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:53 am

It's amazing how massively what a person can find physically attractive can change over time.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:38 am

I'm probably gonna graduate from college in June 2015 still without a girl.

How screwed am I?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:32 am

The Mikey wrote:I'm probably gonna graduate from college in June 2015 still without a girl.

How screwed am I?

That's a lot of undue pressure on yourself, don't you think?

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:29 am

The Mikey wrote:I'm probably gonna graduate from college in June 2015 still without a girl.

How screwed am I?

By your own estimation there's not going to be a whole lot of screwing.

In all seriousness, the benefits of college are often overestimated, especially if you're looking for something serious.

College: a lot of people around your own age group, hookup culture, more leisure time, central party venues, more leniency towards still trying to figure yourself out.

Post-college: looking more accomplished towards lower age groups, people are more decisive on what they want from a relationship, more spendable income and this also leads to being able to afford bars/events that cater more towards your specific type, and less judgement because people have started to realize that everyone never really figures themselves out completely.

Take heart.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:23 pm

HermitTheToad wrote:

That's a lot of undue pressure on yourself, don't you think?

Well, the issue is thats the only place I've really met anyone. Bars and clubs ain't really my scene.

BasedBuzzed wrote:

By your own estimation there's not going to be a whole lot of screwing.

In all seriousness, the benefits of college are often overestimated, especially if you're looking for something serious.

College: a lot of people around your own age group, hookup culture, more leisure time, central party venues, more leniency towards still trying to figure yourself out.

Post-college: looking more accomplished towards lower age groups, people are more decisive on what they want from a relationship, more spendable income and this also leads to being able to afford bars/events that cater more towards your specific type, and less judgement because people have started to realize that everyone never really figures themselves out completely.

Take heart.

Hehehe there hasn't been any screwing of any kind at any point here.

I also have been attending a community college, but it's still you know, college. I have not experienced hook-up culture or been to central party venues. Much like I was in high school, I'm still a loser. Razz

See, being decisive about what I want in a relationship is tricky because... I've never been there. And idk about less judgement, all I know is for whatever reason girls don't like me much.

Back to top Go down

Post by nonA Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:18 pm

This isn't advice, so much as an "inspired by" rant.

It's totally your choice if you want to turn down opportunities because they're not ideal. If you regularly turn down opportunities and then complain about a lack of outcomes, though, I'm not exactly going to be overflowing with sympathy.

nonA

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:58 pm

Bit of a quibble here: for "regularly" to be meaningful, it seems to me you need the domain of opportunities to have a certain minimum size. If this morning was the first time I brushed my teeth, it'd be ridiculous to claim to my dentist that I "regularly" brush my teeth, even if I do...starting today.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:26 pm

How screwed am I?

There's still six months to go... Razz  and I'm totally with BB that College is not the Best and Only Time in Your Life to meet people and have sex with them. It's just an arbitrary time boundary, though one which I fully understand can cause some "oh God life is passing me by!!" feelings. But life after college can actually provide a lot more time, income, and opportunity to meet partners. Keep your chin up!

My 156th post, and I have been carrying that number close to my heart since... high school? It's fun to have silly little romantic numerological talismans.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:15 am

Werel wrote:
There's still six months to go... Razz  and I'm totally with BB that College is not the Best and Only Time in Your Life to meet people and have sex with them. It's just an arbitrary time boundary, though one which I fully understand can cause some "oh God life is passing me by!!" feelings. But life after college can actually provide a lot more time, income, and opportunity to meet partners. Keep your chin up!

That's true, yeah... but at the rate I'm going, I don't feel like that'll happen. And yes, part of it is indeed my fault, as is everything apparently since I'm the greatest common factor.

Part of it is also that whole "sowing yer wild oats" stage of life too. I'm at a weird crossroad where I'd love to have all the crazy wild monkey sex I want (I still have a crazy amount of horny hormones in my system, it sucks) and eventually find a meaningful relationship amongst that dirty sexy mess too. Only other problem is... I don't know how to obtain either of them. If express interest of the sexual nature, I get hosed, express interest of the romantic nature, I also get hosed. An early 20-something dude just can't win, can he? Where would I go from there?

I remember a professor of mine was telling us how, you get a bunch of college age kids and put em in a tent and there's bound to be some sort of sexytime going down. Which leads me to wonder how that could even happen. :I

I try to keep my head up, buuuut... well, you know. :/ Ahh, you can toss my posts into the rants thread if you feel like it.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:20 am

1. As drawn-out as the ordeal was, I'm doubly glad Dad got our holiday "family photo" stuff out of the way now that, a couple weeks later, Revenge of the Acne is happening despite no change at all in my hygiene habits. I thought I was too old for this shit already. Speaking of, this stripe of white hair will be a lot cooler when it's more than like...a dozen or so hairs. Right now it's just these weird thin lines in the front that can't be seen from a distance but are conspicuous and can't be hidden up close.

2. Paraphrase: No meaning, no hope, no answers. Is this all that I am? Is there nothing more?

3. Reviews for Annie look bleak, but I'm suspicious of what seems to be a recurring read on the main character as "overconfident" given that I always thought that was how Annie was supposed to be anyway. More obviously, White Victim comments are weeping over the film's antagonists being White while conveniently ignoring that, if the trailers are any indication—or the original story—it seems much of the plot will be driven by "Stacks" having to clean up his own mess, with help from a White woman with a Queen's English accent who serves as his conscience. But if there were just this once an element of "Black people good, White people bad" embedded in a big Hollywood film, maybe we actually need that sort of thing to hit our cultural consciousness once in a while.

4. Still not really sure how I can make it clearer what I'm looking for / what I want from a given "interesting" person. Not that I've met any lately, but if I did, I still wouldn't have a plan for signaling or gauging authentic interest; I'm looking for something that to me feels very different from a Platonic thing but to most people looks practically identical. Not asking, for now; just pondering.

5. I have a black ring of sorts, now, and what I did feels clever enough that I sort of hope someone notices and comments on it...but the idea of other people noticing and commenting on such a thing kind of scares me, too.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:10 am

I have come to the conclusion that, no matter how small a message board may be, one person cannot effectively moderate it on their own.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:05 pm

New holiday activity - root beer floats with Bailey's in front of the fire while listening to Night Vale.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:53 am

"These women desperately want a boyfriend!" Okay, really, who writes these ads and whom do they work on? Is there really a booming business in sugar-daddy classifieds? Wait. Maybe this is the true source of the recurring Dragon Age joke about cheese that tastes of despair?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:17 am

nearly_takuan wrote:"These women desperately want a boyfriend!" Okay, really, who writes these ads and whom do they work on? Is there really a booming business in sugar-daddy classifieds? Wait. Maybe this is the true source of the recurring Dragon Age joke about cheese that tastes of despair?

I think you've answered the question for yourself. Take a look at the Craigslist personals sections in most major metropolitan areas, and you'll get a sense that there's a healthy demand for sex work done by women who aren't, or who can plausibly pretend not to be, sex workers.

EDIT: Oh, and wow, after googling the phrase, apparently the target market for this ad is racists who don't know how to recognize terrible photoshopping.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:13 am

That moment when you realize that you dislike most of your clothes because you don't like the look and/or fit. It also seems like I'd have to bulk up considerably to look well in clothes that I do like.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Spike-jonze-her-joaquin-phoenix

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 9 Article-2152498-138CA3CD000005DC-837_468x714

I really like some of Joaquin's shirts in Her. Do you guys know what to call his combination of clothing? Is it 'Smart casual'? Because it's something I'd like to wear.

Also, what's the opinion on high-waist pants?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:15 am

Outside the shoes (which still sorta count, they're just a lil scruffy), that would qualify as smart casual. It's usually what I wear.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum