NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 10 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by LadyIkaros Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:03 am

HermitTheToad wrote:
Also, what's the opinion on high-waist pants?

NO! I'm no style guru or anything and I usually don't have strong opinions on clothes, but my opinion is no.

Unless you mean the ones Joaquin is wearing in those photos? Because they're not that high-waist and are acceptable.
LadyIkaros
LadyIkaros

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 10 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:22 am

LadyIkaros wrote:

NO! I'm no style guru or anything and I usually don't have strong opinions on clothes, but my opinion is no.

Unless you mean the ones Joaquin is wearing in those photos? Because they're not that high-waist and are acceptable.

Yeah, I was talking about what he wore in the movie. And they were referred to as 'high waist' pants.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:57 pm

The best (official) Sex Ed I ever got (appart from actual sexual experiences) was from my biology teacher in high school. Her words forever echo in my head:

Biology Teacher wrote:Guys, let me tell you something that will help you in your whole dating life... THE LEMON PRESS IS NOT AN ACCEPTABLE MOVE WHEN GRABING BOOBS!!! EVER!!! Trust in my experience...

Ah... what a wonderful woman. Smile
TheRoux
TheRoux

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Why is it so hard to find a decent wallpaper?
Do I really want to do this project badly enough to even fuss with this??
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:15 am

Oog. I can definitely blame feeling anxious, but the fact is I did not make good food choices over the past week. And my sitting posture went back to sucking too. And my sitting in general increased. What the actual fuck, me? The worst is already knowing how much work is going to be involved in reversing a week's worth of establishing bad habits, even if by some miracle I was able to start tomorrow—and I actually don't know when I'll get the News that one way or another has to put an end to all this fretting.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:16 pm

I'm not entirely sure why the OKC team decided to enable a feature only for a fraction of their users, but I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time they've done it, either. Curious.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:57 pm

I'm guessing beta testing, but in that case I don't understand why they wouldn't just call it that.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:00 pm

Yeah, I'm guessing they're gauging members' reaction to the labels and seeing how people use them before making them more widely available. I heard about the option to mark monogamy preferences before the option was available on my profile, so I think this is fairly standard for them.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:50 am

I wonder what a 'One Piece in space'-esque action adventure comic/tv show/movie would look like.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:24 am

While your offer to have me guest on your podcast is slightly flattering and neat, it fills me more with fear and disappointment at the extreme lack of knowledge and engagement I have in Geek and Nerd topics. My sisters are a much better fit.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:35 pm

This right here is one of the cheeriest pieces of 8-bit music I have ever listened to in my entire life.

Why the fucktangle can't I find it on YouTube? I can find the title theme for that game, or I can find the NES version of that particular tune (which uses different sounds and is in a different key), but my search on YouTube for this particular version of this particular tune has proven fruitless.

Oh well, at least this version auto-loops.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:12 pm

Why is there such a separation between sexuality discussion and education resources and dating/social skills resources? You'd think they'd naturally go together. 

For instance, most sex sites I read seem to ignore the dating game almost entirely (or have a token piece on it and then never talk about it again), though some touch on relationships a bit. On the other hand, DNL talks about sex related stuff sometimes, but he rarely gets into the nitty-gritty.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:22 pm

The Wisp wrote:Why is there such a separation between sexuality discussion and education resources and dating/social skills resources? You'd think they'd naturally go together. 

For instance, most sex sites I read seem to ignore the dating game almost entirely (or have a token piece on it and then never talk about it again), though some touch on relationships a bit. On the other hand, DNL talks about sex related stuff sometimes, but he rarely gets into the nitty-gritty.

My very cynical guess is the people who need advice on sex tend to be people who don't need advice on dating, and vice versa.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:56 am

nearly_takuan wrote:
The Wisp wrote:Why is there such a separation between sexuality discussion and education resources and dating/social skills resources? You'd think they'd naturally go together. 

My very cynical guess is the people who need advice on sex tend to be people who don't need advice on dating, and vice versa.

I think I see what you're saying with the first one, but why wouldn't people who need advice on dating also need advice on sex (assuming that dating very often precedes sex)?
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:05 am

Werel wrote:
nearly_takuan wrote:

I think I see what you're saying with the first one, but why wouldn't people who need advice on dating also need advice on sex (assuming that dating very often precedes sex)?

Assuming it doesn't immediately precede it, I figure you generally want to take one thing at a time. Razz
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:09 am

nearly_takuan wrote:

I also just had a thought: people who have enough sex to be able to write about it regularly probably never had issues dating past, like, high school (or not even then).
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:21 am

I'm wondering if it might be a combination of authors' different skill sets, with a bit of cultural sex negativity thrown in? A good portion of sex advice aimed at people who don't have much experience seems to be health and safety advice given by people with medical credentials who may not have much to offer in the way of advice about dating or social situatons. Another subset of it is advice on how to have better sex, made more culturally acceptable by an unstated assumption that it's directed at people who are in committed, monogamous relationships. The writers of that advice might have more to offer in the way of dating advice, but including it undermines the facade that it's aimed at existing couples rather than anything that might encourage more casual sex.

On the other side of things, people who give dating advice might not feel qualified to give advice about health aspects and might, for various reasons, be uncomfortable or not as good at writing about sex as a pleasurable thing. Also, some kinds of dating advice don't really place all that much value on being a good sex partner. I don't know what PUA advice says about sex, but The Rules basically tells women to wait as long as possible and then to let the guy do whatever he wants without offering any guidance. Advice from a more progressive point of view might not include sex advice because it's hard for any one author to do so without placing a lot of emphasis on sex between people of their gender and their preferred gender, which works if the advice is specific to a consistent audience but not if it's meant to be employed by people of varying genders and orientations.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 am

eselle28 wrote:
On the other side of things, people who give dating advice might not feel qualified to give advice about health aspects and might, for various reasons, be uncomfortable or not as good at writing about sex as a pleasurable thing. Also, some kinds of dating advice don't really place all that much value on being a good sex partner. I don't know what PUA advice says about sex, but The Rules basically tells women to wait as long as possible and then to let the guy do whatever he wants without offering any guidance. Advice from a more progressive point of view might not include sex advice because it's hard for any one author to do so without placing a lot of emphasis on sex between people of their gender and their preferred gender, which works if the advice is specific to a consistent audience but not if it's meant to be employed by people of varying genders and orientations.

PUA advice is actually also generally awful on this. PUA writers spend a lot of time talking about how to get sex, but very little about making that sex pleasurable. In a lot of ways, that's what seems most perverse about it-- it takes something which (at least can be) wonderful and pleasurable, and just makes it a scoring mechanism.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:36 am

Damn, such an anti-climatic ending to Korra. Not very satisfying at all.

Not to mention that blatantly suggestive ending (Korrasami shippers must be jizzing so hard right now Laughing ).

What the hell am I gonna look forward to now? Sad

"How to be Human: for Dummies".

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:09 pm

Blugh. Having one of those months where I realize that I'm not nearly as talented nor as attractive as I think I am.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:41 am

Autumnflame wrote:Blugh. Having one of those months where I realize that I'm not nearly as talented nor as attractive as I think I am.

I dunno how talented or attractive you think you are, but I think you're lots of both. </feelgoods>
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:50 pm

Normally my ego's pretty huge - it's just gotten deflated a lot to what's probably more realistic standards lately. Wink But

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 10 Tumblr_inline_n47jx4nCue1qafrh6

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:42 am

Trick I use to overcome self-limiting beliefs: project them unto strawmen and then working on it out of spite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:47 am

That sounds rather interesting BasedBuzzed.

In other news, last night's game went OK once we got the techtical difticulties sorted out, but given how often I had to remind the gamemaster of how attacks work, I'm tempted to run a one-shot with him to help him get more acquainted with them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:35 am

Two thoughts:

One, /r/cringepics is both terrifying and hilarious. I am not yet sure which one it errs towards more.

Two, I have almost nothing to do with any social side of nerdy activities. It seems like a natural thing one would do, but nope.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum