NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation]

2 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation] Empty Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation]

Post by bomaye Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:44 am

First thing's first, just watch Episode 1. On the off-chance you haven't heard about it or heard about what it's about before, describing the basic premise spoils much of the first episode.

[And actually it's more like a 3/4s recommendation now, finished Season 2]

-----------

Watched it yet? Interest piqued? If yes, or if you want to know more without potentially having 20 minutes wasted, then here we go. Probably the most important bit is the road-map that I'll have bolded earlier on which explains why my recommendations are both half and full.

Trigger-warnings for some of it too, though I'll list what/where in the road-map.

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation] Empty Re: Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation]

Post by Enail Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:55 pm

E1
Spoiler:

Pretty fun so far! The main character's not terribly interesting, but hopefully it'll get more character interest when they introduce other party members, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the game mechanics go. I'll keep going on this one.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation] Empty Re: Sword Art Online Anime [Half Recommendation... but some of it is Full Recommendation]

Post by bomaye Sun Oct 28, 2018 3:55 am

E1

Spoiler:

Also, I don't know if you mentioned seeing it or not, but the thing that hyped me up the most was in the post-credits

Spoiler:

Enail wrote:E1
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Pretty fun so far! The main character's not terribly interesting, but hopefully it'll get more character interest when they introduce other party members, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the game mechanics go. I'll keep going on this one.

Yeah, he's a total Gary Stu. I'm not sure I ever get too much into his character or his character development, but I did find one or two things relatable.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Oct 28, 2018 2:09 pm

bomaye wrote:E1

Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Also, I don't know if you mentioned seeing it or not, but the thing that hyped me up the most was in the post-credits

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Yeah, he's a total Gary Stu. I'm not sure I ever get too much into his character or his character development, but I did find one or two things relatable.

That's probably the thing that'll give me the hardest time in this show, I don't have much tolerance for Gary Stus. And it's especially annoying when

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:45 pm

Enail wrote:
That's probably the thing that'll give me the hardest time in this show, I don't have much tolerance for Gary Stus. And it's especially annoying when

Spoiler:

There's more to say on this but can't yet Lurking/sketchy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:10 pm

E2
Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:30 pm

I'll get to ep 2 a little later but

Spoiler:

There is actually a lot more to say on a lot of this. Probably come back to this later.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:07 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:15 am

SAO 2

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Nov 04, 2018 2:54 pm

E3
Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:46 pm

Ep 3

Spoiler:

Bookmarked reminder, just in case you don't keep up with it after the first Part.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Bookmarked, I have a pet theory about Klein but after episode 4
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:31 pm

Originally written in 2009, right in the middle of the transition period between "video games are only for smelly nerds" and "these guys are choosing video games over us so I guess we might as well live with it/oh hey, these video games are actually kinda fun..." in the female hivemind

Yeah, no.  Women have been there the whole time (for MMORPGs, I think 2002 was the earliest I've seen stats, 10-15% women was pretty consistent in that period, though women are far less into PVP; I haven't seen  stats on earlier MMOs, but stats about non-MMOs in the 80s and 90s I've seen seem to show 20%+).
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 04, 2018 5:54 pm

Ep 4

Spoiler:

Enail wrote:
Originally written in 2009, right in the middle of the transition period between "video games are only for smelly nerds" and "these guys are choosing video games over us so I guess we might as well live with it/oh hey, these video games are actually kinda fun..." in the female hivemind

Yeah, no. Women have been there the whole time (for MMORPGs, I think 2002 was the earliest I've seen stats, 10-15% women was pretty consistent in that period, though women are far less into PVP; I haven't seen stats on earlier MMOs, but stats about non-MMOs in the 80s and 90s I've seen seem to show 20%+).

Do any of those stats mention Japanese-specific MMOs? If I recall right Genshiken Nidaime came out around the same time as a reaction to the "emerging" trend of female otakus.

As for those stats themselves, I remember early '00s nerd circles being sausage parties where communities of hundreds/thousands could count the number of people who admitted to being a woman on their fingers and toes, and the one thing that held strong through those circles changing focus was gaming. Shrug
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:26 pm

Also btw, whenever you end up watching an ep I'll probably do the next one afterwards unless I'm super busy, it's not meant to be pressure to binge-watch so if it does feel like that, it isn't, and if it still feels like that, I'll wait for your episode reviews before doing one instead Lurking/sketchy
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:31 pm

No, I haven't seen any stats on Japanese-specific that aren't pretty recent, though I've met Japanese women in the early 2000s who were into gaming in general and didn't seem to think that was unusual.

You're a man, if there were whatever-the-female-euphemism-equivalent-for-sausage-parties-is's, you wouldn't have been in them to remember them! Razz  Women I knew tended to avoid the sausage parties, and typically found smaller circles that they'd vetted for being female-friendly, especially in MMOs, or just lurked and didn't really join up with any particular circle so much as keep it as a quiet interest that they'd only bring up among friends or only reveal their gender to people very selectively. (On the personal level, I was legit surprised as a teenager to learn that guys played JRPGs, and the whole concept of 'nerd culture' as being a bonding point was pretty alien to me until I was a ways into adulthood, because I'd never felt welcome in that group as a girl, it was as much a distant wish for me as getting to be one of the cool kids.).
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:32 pm

bomaye wrote:Also btw, whenever you end up watching an ep I'll probably do the next one afterwards unless I'm super busy, it's not meant to be pressure to binge-watch so if it does feel like that, it isn't, and if it still feels like that, I'll wait for your episode reviews before doing one instead Lurking/sketchy

Don't worry, I can't be pressured into watching much faster than my usual snail's pace anyway Grin
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:47 pm

Enail wrote:
You're a man, if there were whatever-the-female-euphemism-equivalent-for-sausage-parties-is's, you wouldn't have been in them to remember them! Razz  Women I knew tended to avoid the sausage parties, and typically found smaller circles that they'd vetted for being female-friendly, especially in MMOs, or just lurked and didn't really join up with any particular circle so much as keep it as a quiet interest that they'd only bring up among friends or only reveal their gender to people very selectively.

That sort of fits my point in a way, women wouldn't be showing up to sausage parties en-masse especially back then.

And I know the author wouldn't have thought this deeply about it, but the SAO incident kicks off on Day 1, before the ninja-women have a chance to vet it at as pro-woman game  scratch

(On the personal level, I was legit surprised as a teenager to learn that guys played JRPGs, and the whole concept of 'nerd culture' as being a bonding point was pretty alien to me until I was a ways into adulthood, because I'd never felt welcome in that group as a girl, it was as much a distant wish for me as getting to be one of the cool kids.).

I sorta remember it emerging as an underground thing on the internet right in the '00s, with the first PAX event in 2004 being a major moment of "oh shit, this online nerd culture shit is actually a real thing that large amounts of people do." Dragon Con and Star Trek conventions and the like were known things to me but always sounded like these small events that nerds do.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:02 pm

bomaye wrote:
That sort of fits my point in a way, women wouldn't be showing up to sausage parties en-masse especially back then.

I wouldn't say the whole game is a sausage party (unless it's not a woman-friendly game design in the sense I explain below, or unless over time it's gotten a reputation for being hostile to women), I'd mean more like not participating in sausage-party nerd social groups, keeping quiet about their gender in the open while playing, and looking for a welcoming guild.

And I know the author wouldn't have thought this deeply about it, but the SAO incident kicks off on Day 1, before the ninja-women have a chance to vet it at as pro-woman game  scratch

Oh, what I mean by woman-friendly here is mostly just that the game type/setting is one that tends to be less associated with macho-ness (eg. rpg's over  shooters, fantasy setting over WWII setting) and character designs that tend to be reasonablyl= appealling to women (cuter style rather than veiny muscle-men, not super-heavy on the sexualisation); I'd describe most fantasy rpgs as pretty woman-friendly in the sense I was meaning it, and it's something you can generally tell based on the advertising alone. The SAO game looks like it qualifies to me (other than, you know, being a death trap, which isn't too friendly in general Razz).
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:44 pm

This weekend might be a bit busy, so I'm also going to pre-watch Ep 5 too just because I can do it right now

Ep 5

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:04 pm

E4
Spoiler:

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:58 pm

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:48 pm

bomaye wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Nov 17, 2018 3:40 am

This weekend is also super-busy, so I will again jump to Ep 6 even though you still have to watch Ep 5

SAO S1E6

Spoiler:

Last edited by bomaye on Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:08 am; edited 1 time in total
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:08 pm

Nooo, peer pressure! Razz

E5
Spoiler:

This is getting good!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:44 pm

E7

Spoiler:
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum