NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 38 Empty Re: Rants

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:20 pm

eselle28 wrote:It's one thing to cancel plans for a night out drinking or even getting dinner at a restaurant on relatively short notice, but when someone invites you over for dinner, a couple hours notice is cutting things a bit close. After all, I already bought your dinner, and half of it is already prepared. And while you didn't give any excuse at all in your email, I saw you sneaking out the other door and you didn't appear to be unwell, which eliminates the two most sympathetic explanations of working late and illness.

But fine. Whatever. Not everyone makes it to the dinner party list and not everyone stays there. I don't want to hear any more griping about how hard it is to meet single women in this little town, though - you could have met four of them tonight.
This is where I wish I had opportunities like this, because Lord knows I can use all the help I can get.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:20 pm

eselle28 wrote:It's one thing to cancel plans for a night out drinking or even getting dinner at a restaurant on relatively short notice, but when someone invites you over for dinner, a couple hours notice is cutting things a bit close. After all, I already bought your dinner, and half of it is already prepared. And while you didn't give any excuse at all in your email, I saw you sneaking out the other door and you didn't appear to be unwell, which eliminates the two most sympathetic explanations of working late and illness.

But fine. Whatever. Not everyone makes it to the dinner party list and not everyone stays there. I don't want to hear any more griping about how hard it is to meet single women in this little town, though - you could have met four of them tonight.

...and you didn't invite me?

Razz

Sorry, too good not to add any humor into this thread. :3

On a more ranty/depressive note. My dog is anemic, fucking great.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:26 pm

I asked. You said no.

I've no right to ask you not to leverage the social medias for the purposes of venting, complaining, or (likely) fishing for volunteer help, when you're feeling sad and lonely and so forth. I guess I'd wish you would use custom visibility settings to keep me from seeing such posts, but that's actually the whole point, isn't it? You don't think of me that way. Or that much. Doesn't cross your mind what you're indirectly saying about me when you say that; why would it? Three ways of showing me how much I don't even count, with a single action—awesome.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:41 am

Overhearing people use "(Insert person's name here) has no friends!" as a humourous insult isn't really all that funny when you actually don't have any friends, nor the ability to make any.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:35 pm

I think I want to smack some of my best friends as they think I need to see a shrink. Besides the fact that I don't have the money and my insurance doesn't cover it, my thoughts are for the most part normal.

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Thu Apr 16, 2015 9:56 pm

Dear Couchsurfers: What part of "I have space for ONE person in my tiny apartment" translates to "Please ask if you and your boyfriend/husband/2 best friends can stay"?!
Seriously?
Learn to read, dumbasses
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Fri Apr 17, 2015 6:53 am

I'm getting really tired of hearing people preface their comments/part in a conversation with "I'm not a feminist, but".  Like this is some way of saving face - it sounds like guys who do it are trying to keep their man-cred with other men, and women who do it are trying to be that cool girl all the guys like because she doesn't bitch about stuff.  If you don't want to be a feminist, fine, don't be one.  But holy shark farts stop telling everyone about it.

Oh, and stop blaming feminism for men's problems.  Those problems existed way before feminism.  And if you would stop complaining so much about feminism, you might actually have time to...I don't know...work on men's problems.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:02 am

Somehow I got the smell of laundry ftergent stuck in my nose an hour ago and it won't go away >.<
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:45 pm

jcorozza, I'm not a feminist butt either:

Rants - Page 38 Fembutt

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:04 pm

Hahaha, nice.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:28 pm

When I ask for dating advice from friends, the answer should not be "don't bother trying, it's not like someone would date you anyways."

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Why the fuck are questions phrased in these roundabout ways? Seems to me women are landing on my page and clicking "star" because I answered enough of their questions "right". But the ones they answered "wrong" are things like, "would you date someone who has never been in any kind of relationship before?"

It's backward and redundant: if the question instead simply said, "have you been in a relationship before?" I could answer plainly and they could filter appropriately and I'd get fewer emails but also fewer reminders of my own worthlessness.

But hey, there's a "star", and these questions are poorly written and confusing so maybe she didn't mean that in all cases or something.

Y'know what, it doesn't even fucking matter, 'cause I'm going to try something new. She can be the one to write the first message if she hates me so little. I'm going back to my all-day nap.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:12 pm

NT, between the two of us, methinks we're going through a lot of the same crap because people do not understand our particular portion of the QUILTBAG.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:38 am

There's a delightful trend in internet arguments that boils down to 1) giving the opposing side shit for generalising people and then 2) proceeding to generalise the shit out of people just as bad as those they were chastising.

Rants - Page 38 1315390548926

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:23 am

MapWater wrote:There's a delightful trend in internet arguments that boils down to 1) giving the opposing side shit for generalising people and then 2) proceeding to generalise the shit out of people just as bad as those they were chastising.

Ugh, yeah, "delightful" is a good word for it (even though I'm sure I've done this at least a few times)
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:48 am

The Wisp wrote:
MapWater wrote:There's a delightful trend in internet arguments that boils down to 1) giving the opposing side shit for generalising people and then 2) proceeding to generalise the shit out of people just as bad as those they were chastising.

Ugh, yeah, "delightful" is a good word for it (even though I'm sure I've done this at least a few times)

Everyone does it, really. I certainly have. I try very hard to avoid it at all costs these days.

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:01 am

Sometimes trying to add specifying words to what one is saying helps. Sometimes I'm reading a generalization and then the person says they were just explaining a point of view or giving their take on it, and I'm like, OK, well, you need to say that if you want people to read that.

I really really really really hate bars on game nights (er, really, I hate drunk strangers considerably more than I hate sober strangers). On Friday I went to a pub after the hockey game to hear my friend's blues band, but logically it was super busy when we arrived and we could only find a place to stand by the stage-area.

Dude comes up behind me and says "haha, you're missing some of your hair! Did you fall asleep at a frat party last night?"
My response: "No, that's intentional."
Him: "I know, I was joking"
My thought: I got it. It was stupid.
Then he was in front of me, noticed my husband standing beside me, and shook both of our hands. Just no, dude, leave me alone. I am not drunk, I am already super uncomfortable and over stimulated by having to stand and move out of the way for people, and also like what a stupid thing to say about my hair. Since it is actually a super trendy common haircut. All I could possibly say to that is "ha ha," except it is just dumb, not funny.

kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:10 am

I think I know the haircut you speak of and it's an awesome unisex cut, I myself have something very similar.

Got no rant this time around other than to say it's an awesome hairdo. :3

EDIT: No wait, speaking of drunk people, drunk people suck when you're trying to work and operating a jib arm that costs thousands of dollars with a camera and lens that totals at about $6k too. If these drunks don't GTFO the way, they'll get clobbered. I'm yelling at you for your own fucking safety, nimrods!!

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:50 am

Thanks Mikey! It is a wicked haircut *high fives*. I don't think he was actually trying to have that read as an insult / indicate that he didn't like my hair. Unfortunately he was too drunk to realise that he was saying "your haircut looks like it was done by drunk people while you were sprawled on your face" instead of "nice hair! I think you look like you party a lot and I think that is fun." (And obviously he wasn't paying attention to the fact that I can't have looked relaxed, making his apparent assumption that I party a lot less likely to be the case - and, in fact totally wrong. My favourite house parties usually involve singing showtunes around the piano.)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:14 pm

Happens, I suppose. But yus, awesome hairdo solidarity. ;D -fives-

When people get drunk they don't really think all the way through. Razz However, when I get drunk, motor functions go completely out the window and it makes me laugh like an idiot and that's me drunk, in a nutshell. I get pretty playful and I guess I'm *something* a charmer when I'm drunk. But at least I still remember everything and I can think thoroughly, so I pick my drunk battles. Razz

Aaaanyway...

Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:15 pm

>trying the "I'll tell your parents/friends/employer" approach
>for this level of snark
>that all of those can see on FB anyway
>doing this from across the pond
>to an audience that is even less aware and sensitive towards these issues than me
>with your demonstrated level of patience and clear terminology
>while even your 'side' laughs at it if the likes are anything to go by
This is leaving yourself so wide open that I'm going to put the other end of the aisle on blast again just to spare you the fallout.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Apr 20, 2015 11:28 pm

Get enough people together at once, and you can all but guarantee there won't be anything they all agree on.

Well, actually, there is one thing.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:06 am

Really? Due to an "internal re-organization", the position I applied for will be filled internally? Fuuuuuck you.

I know there's an interim person currently, and if he's the one getting the gig full-time because you asked, then, okay, that's fine. But I mean... I work in the same department in the same school and I applied for that job as well as my boss. Are you fucking kidding me?

Guh. I want a new job, desperately. >:I

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:20 am

Canadian "free healthcare" jokes rub me the wrong way as a healthcare provider.  Yes, Canada's not the only country with universal healthcare, but it's the one that rubs it in my face the most.  I'm sure they probably mean to mock how the US government treats its own people like resources rather than people, and how certain people are foolish to so vehemently oppose reforming the system to grant healthcare to more people who previously couldn't afford it.  But quite a few times, their execution of it comes across to me more like they're mocking the poor people who can't afford medical treatment.

It's like, are you laughing at the king who starves his people, or the beggars who have no food?
Chickpea Sarada
Chickpea Sarada

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:46 am

Experienced this morning a Flat Tire event in my brothers car. So annoying. Missed an entire class session because of it. But I was pretty lucky - it happened inside a neighboorhood and not on a main road/highway or in the middle of nowhere, which meant that the car service made it there quickly. The old tire was defined as damaged beyond repair (severly torn) and I had to get a brand new one.

But I guess that this is inevitable when you own and/or are constantly driving.
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 38 of 40 Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum