NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics and Current Events

+28
sky
nearly_takuan
Aggrax
waxingjaney
Izmuth
Amygdala
Prajnaparamita
WolfBlitzer
ElizaJane
caliseivy
reboundstudent
Robjection
JP McBride
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
bomaye
eselle28
WJMorris3
Werel
jcorozza
Suika
Hirundo Bos
litterature
The Wisp
kath
Enail
Caffeinated
reboot
32 posters

Page 22 of 33 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 33  Next

Go down

Politics and Current Events - Page 22 Empty Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by Wondering Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:21 pm

eselle28 wrote:I don't think there's any chance Trump will step down. He doesn't have any loyalty to the GOP or any personal shame, so there's no reason for him too.
I don't know. Trump really really hates losers. And I could see him preferring to be a quitter than a loser.

JP McBride wrote:The blast radius on this thing is going to be huge. There's no running from this.
Eh. It's a powerful, rich, white man making appalling comments about women. Running from that is par for the course.

Because, and to your original question, eselle, if Trump were ahead in the polls, you wouldn't see so many Republicans abandoning ship. They'd be making the same mealy-mouthed denunciations of the sort Paul Ryan has all along about how bad it is to say this, but it's still better than Hillary Clinton. This is opportunism. This is their excuse to renounce a failing candidate while trying to garner more women's votes that the GOP continues to lose. It has nothing to do with them actually caring about or denouncing rape culture.

The Mikey wrote:As much shit as the electoral college gets, it's exactly this type of election nonsense it was designed to protect the country from.
I agree with this. I do think the electoral college gets a bad rap. Except for the fact that it's not working today the way it as designed.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:03 pm

What's baffling to me is that people keep believing that Hillary laughed about a rape victim back in the 70s. She didn't. You know the one. The story about her "volunteering" to be a defense attorney for the victim's attacker. That is not true, she was assigned that defendant since Hillary was, you know, a public defender at the time working in a clinic.

What's even crazier still is people and trump are bringing up Ole Bill Clinton and his own alleged victims including the aforementioned victim that Hillary "laughed" at. They were present in the debate. I understand why they're there, but Bill isn't the one running for office. They're there to prove that Hillary covered up Bill's awfulness, if I'm being honest, I don't know the validity behind the cover-up claims.

But...

Trump isn't as clean as he thinks he is, he himself is also being accused of rape. It gets much much worse given how he's been on the radio with Howard Stern being gross too. Fucks sake, he called his own daughter a "piece of ass" amidst the other creepy shit he said about his daughter.

Yes, Bill Clinton's accusers must be taken seriously, absolutely. I know trump is making himself appear the better man, but the hypocrisy is astounding. Plus don't you think using other people's pain and suffering for your personal gain is absolutely deplorable? I get that in politics things get nasty, but bringing in victims of sexual assault to boost your campaign is fucked.

This election, it feels like...
Politics and Current Events - Page 22 Vkm1QRJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:20 pm

The Mikey wrote:What's even crazier still is people and trump are bringing up Ole Bill Clinton and his own alleged victims including the aforementioned victim that Hillary "laughed" at. They were present in the debate. I understand why they're there, but Bill isn't the one running for office. They're there to prove that Hillary covered up Bill's awfulness, if I'm being honest, I don't know the validity behind the cover-up claims.

This is sexism at play. That the male opponent of a woman running for office is constantly bringing up things that woman's husband did. As if she and her husband are the same person.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by JP McBride Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:24 pm

Wondering wrote:Eh. It's a powerful, rich, white man making appalling comments about women. Running from that is par for the course.

We're moving into a new phase now. He pretty much admitted that he's committed sexual assault at the debate last night.

JP McBride

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:19 pm

Wondering wrote:
The Mikey wrote:What's even crazier still is people and trump are bringing up Ole Bill Clinton and his own alleged victims including the aforementioned victim that Hillary "laughed" at. They were present in the debate. I understand why they're there, but Bill isn't the one running for office. They're there to prove that Hillary covered up Bill's awfulness, if I'm being honest, I don't know the validity behind the cover-up claims.

This is sexism at play. That the male opponent of a woman running for office is constantly bringing up things that woman's husband did. As if she and her husband are the same person.

Correct, though the idea is to paint Hillary as untrustworthy. trump, among others alleges that Hillary was covering up Bill's bullshit, how true that particular allegation is, I have no clue.

But obviously trump is trustworthy to women. And a gentleman, per his own words. Clearly. innocent That was sarcasm, btw.

This is a great article and points out what's been on *my* mind when I heard about Clinton's victims being on stage with trump:

[Juanita] Broaddrick, as you know, appeared alongside Trump on Facebook Live Sunday night, along with Kathleen Willey and Paula Jones — women who've all accused Bill Clinton of inappropriate sexual behavior.

And that makes me the most furious of all.

Because Trump — who has a long, well-documented history of harassing women, cheating on his wives and now, as we know, forcing himself on women — somehow convinced these women that he was their safe space. And that makes my skin crawl.

What Trump said on that "Access Hollywood" bus was not, as he labeled it, "locker room talk." It was the entitled musings of a predator.

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:33 pm

A candidate for New York State Senate has sparked a firestorm in Harlem after telling NBC 4 New York's I-Team he was planning to hand out “Kool Aid, KFC and watermelons” at a campaign event in the primarily black community.

Really?!

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:11 pm

And now the flood of past Trump victims begins.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:48 pm

eselle28 wrote:And now the flood of past Trump victims begins.

Oh you got that right.

EDIT: Woah, woah, woah. Are you fucking kidding me right now? Trump supporters are tweeting out #repealthe19thamendment

Politics and Current Events - Page 22 ESAwtI7

Back to top Go down

Post by JP McBride Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:40 pm

Can't wait for discovery on 14 seasons of Apprentice outtakes.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/10/trump-summer-zervos-accusations-allred-229806

JP McBride

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:36 pm

A couple days old, but I love the New York Times's response to Trump's demand they retract their sexual assault story or he'll sue them for libel. Basically, they say, "Bring it."

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/14/us/politics/donald-trump-lawsuit-threat.html

Full text of the letter is at the end of the article.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:57 pm

A video from Canada to the US.

Thanks, Canada. We love you, too!

And in the words of my husband, "Leave it to Canada to do that in the nicest way possible." Smile

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Wondering wrote:A video from Canada to the US.

Thanks, Canada. We love you, too!

And in the words of my husband, "Leave it to Canada to do that in the nicest way possible." Smile

...yeah, I'm not buying America being particularly great. How can we call us great if Donald Trump is allowed to run for President? President Obama should cancel the election and just take a third term.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:54 pm

That's the point. They're telling us not to vote for the man whose slogan is "Make America Great Again" because we don't need to be great again.

It's an anti-Trump ad, made in the nicest, most Canadian-esque way. Smile

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:58 pm

Wondering wrote:That's the point. They're telling us not to vote for the man whose slogan is "Make America Great Again" because we don't need to be great again.

It's an anti-Trump ad, made in the nicest, most Canadian-esque way. Smile
But that implies we are great, which we're not. How can we call a country that embraced Jim Crow, slavery, and anti-woman sentiments great?

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:22 pm

I think "whether America is great" is a topic where reasonable people can disagree; if some nice Canadians want to think we're great, I'd be sore-ry to stop them. (I'd add "probably the biggest genocide in history" and "largely responsible for destroying the planet" to the very top of your frowny-face list, and yet I still think America is great in many ways! Like the ways those nice Canadians are highlighting!)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:45 pm

And now Donald Trump has implied that he may not accept the results of the election if he loses. All the more reason to not have an election and just give Obama a third term.

Back to top Go down

Post by jcorozza Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:58 pm

Of course he isn't. He's a spoiled child, and spoiled children have tantrums when they don't get what they want.
jcorozza
jcorozza

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:34 am

And it doesn't matter. Because the election will be certified, and Trump will be shouting into the wind as Clinton is inaugurated. It's not like there's going to be a coup.

(Although there may well be an increase in gun violence from his supporters, which is a horrifying prospect, but it's not a coup.)

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:33 am

I'm mostly concerned that it will set a precident and that it will become more common for candidates to behave this way in the future. That, and I'm just tired. I saw this, and I sighed a bit. I remember H.W. as president. I didn't like him much. It's surprising how good he, and even his son, look in comparison to what's happening now. I've never been a Republican, but I miss times when there at least was a semblance of real debate between people who both shared some common principles about the nature of government rather than wanting to win or burn everything down.

Politics and Current Events - Page 22 CvJA_nFWEAESx1C
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:27 am

I also fear that this is the new normal. The election is bad enough, but these trends might lead to the legislative branch crippling the judicial branch if the Senate sticks to not confirming any Clinton nominees.

I found this article both depressing and accurate
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:43 pm

You know, obviously Clinton should have won by a landslide solely on the countless other bigoted shit Trump did. So if I'm focusing on Trumps anti-womenness, please don't take it as that the rest what he did was just dandy.

TW: Child abuse, Trump
Spoiler:
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:12 pm

"Half" the internet is suffering from a DDOS attack. So, TwatterTwitter, Reddit and various other sites are down, currently. This also includes my beloved Imgur. Crying

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:52 am

At least something good might come about because of the Trump campaign. I bet this will especially start the conversation amongst people over 50
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:57 pm

Got my ballot yesterday. Dropped it in the box today. I am done.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:21 am

People I know who aren't voting for Trump keep saying it's just Trump and not the party, but then things like this keep happening.

eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 33 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 27 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum