NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[rant] Entertainment Rants

+41
bomaye
Orca
Sahrimnir
readertorider
Jayce
BasedBuzzed
choys
PintsizeBro
CP96
litterature
Andrew Corvero
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
OneTrueGuest
Gentleman Johnny
InkAndComb
Spiffo
WJMorris3
waxingjaney
celette482
nonA
fakely mctest
Izmuth
UristMcBunny
azazel
ApocalypseApple
SadisticToaster
reboundstudent
Mel
Aggrax
Conreezy
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
kleenestar
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
eselle28
Wondering
reboot
kath
45 posters

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 13 Empty Re: [rant] Entertainment Rants

Post by Jayce Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:50 am

Hmm Adam Wingard's Death Note movie is planning to be cast without asian people... Hmm I wonder why there are so many Asian actors that quit, or you know, go back to Asia and actually have opportunities with their careers. A guy could look like this and still would probably have absolutely no chance at being Light.

[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 13 20131122_seoulbeats_Jaejoong_Y

When I first heard of it I thought this movie could be different. Whelp I guess I'll just go back to being invisible now.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:52 am

Wow, that is some dumb casting, especially in light of all the recent movies that were both whitewashed to hell and box office failures.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:23 am

Casting is always discriminatory, and it can be, to a skin colour level, blatantly. This is an email that I received this afternoon. It's from the talent company which sends out emails of gigs to models looking for gigs.

Email:

SAMSUNG & KIDS CASTING FOR NEW TALENT ON 27-30 NOV.

THIS TVC FOR VARIOUS SCENES PAYS $220-$660 PER DAY.

The following looks are required for the shoot on the 3rd/ 4th/ 5th December.

If this is your look and you are available, please SMS and come in.

1. Male and Female mid 20's - all looks

2. Male and Female teens - Anglo, Euro and Asian only

3. Kids [2M/ 2F] up to 10 years

4. Asian / Indian couples slim look and mid 20's

5. Mature couple 35-55 years - Anglo and European looks only

6. Kids 3-10 years m/f bright smiles [4 hour call for shopping centre]

7. Fashion model sz 8/10 and 170-177 cm for January parade.

If you are a current model, please use your job code to cast direct for Samsung.

If you are a new model [with or without experience] you will need to attend an

interview dressed in Jeans with a white/ light coloured top and ask for Anna.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the job pays: $220-$660 pd [SDNY, N'CSTL, W'GNG, BRBN, GCOAST]

To receive the free shoot offer, please SMS 0499 296 724 with NAME & DATE

and we will confirm a time frame for you to attend, by return SMS.

Thursday 26th Nov: 4-7 pm, Westfield [Whispers] P'matta

Saturday 28th Nov: 12-4 pm, level 2, 99 York St, opp QVB, Sydney

Mondays Kids by appt: 4-6.00pm, the Mall, Campbelltown [call Kim 0401533984]

Sunday 29th Nov: 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7pm, Mantra, 127 Charlotte St, Brisbane

Monday 30th Nov: 2, 3, 4, & 6, 7pm, Meriton Hotel, Broadbeach [Kat 0487144685]

Sunday Kids by appt: 2-7.00 pm, Travelodge, King St, Newcastle

What clients pay: $220-$660 pd [SDNY, ORNG, N'CSTL, W'GNG, BRSBN, GC.

Queries/ Job code fees / New Jobs, must see the JOIN page: www.nextmodel.com.au

See Next models on TV click here : SMS 0499296724 and start your modelling this week.

They list out what they want before even any audition and this is just for a tv ad which will last like a minute or two that people won't even remember all too well and they are already listing the skin colours they want and which they don't. And this is before they even pick you for the role so you will still have to compete. To them, if you are the wrong skin colour you shouldn't even bother to audition.

I never tried to get into movie roles but I have a hunch that it's something similar. Listing skin colour preferences discourages whole groups of people from even trying in the first place and like you said, whitewashing just dosen't instantly improve box office sale and make it a better film either (like Last Airbender, Dragonball Evolution)..

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:23 pm

It super sucks when a band you like(d) is horrible live and the crowd is so shitty that you feel gross just for being part of it. Makes you feel like a sucker when you think people have artistic power and then it turns out they have no power, no charisma, no stage presence, no sass, no nothing: you got tricked by a well-packaged product and took it to heart like a damn fool.

(Die Antwoord was bad Disapproving)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:24 am

Werel wrote:It super sucks when a band you like(d) is horrible live and the crowd is so shitty that you feel gross just for being part of it. Makes you feel like a sucker when you think people have artistic power and then it turns out they have no power, no charisma, no stage presence, no sass, no nothing: you got tricked by a well-packaged product and took it to heart like a damn fool.

(Die Antwoord was bad Disapproving)

Whaaaaat?? Seriously!?

Damn, of all people, Die Antwoord woulda been kick ass live. Sad Like, shitty fans is understandable, But it suuucks when the band is turrible live too. Kinda glad I missed them in (coincidentally) San Bernardino some time ago. :/

Anyway...

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:15 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Whaaaaat?? Seriously!?

Damn, of all people, Die Antwoord woulda been kick ass live. Sad Like, shitty fans is understandable, But it suuucks when the band is turrible live too. Kinda glad I missed them in (coincidentally) San Bernardino some time ago. :/

Yeah, it was sad. The vocal performances were super weak and about half lip-synced (and IDK what was going on with Ninja, but either his voice is actually super high and they put a filter on every studio track, or they had some kind of chipmunk filter on his mic live, or he had a bad cold, or... confused). They just seemed kind of bored and limp and sick of performing. Maybe it was just last-leg-of-tour-in-small-venue syndrome, but it was a bummer.

And being in a crowd of hyper-macho military dudes singing along to DJ Hi-Tek Rulez with no sense of irony was more than a little uncomfortable. Like I don't think they had any idea that it's a subversive track by a gay man, they were all just going "CAN'T TOUCH ME, FAGGOT" in chestbump YEAAHHH BRAH mode, which, aaaahhhh  Run in circles flail
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:05 am

Werel wrote:

Yeah, it was sad. The vocal performances were super weak and about half lip-synced (and IDK what was going on with Ninja, but either his voice is actually super high and they put a filter on every studio track, or they had some kind of chipmunk filter on his mic live, or he had a bad cold, or... confused). They just seemed kind of bored and limp and sick of performing. Maybe it was just last-leg-of-tour-in-small-venue syndrome, but it was a bummer.

And being in a crowd of hyper-macho military dudes singing along to DJ Hi-Tek Rulez with no sense of irony was more than a little uncomfortable. Like I don't think they had any idea that it's a subversive track by a gay man, they were all just going "CAN'T TOUCH ME, FAGGOT" in chestbump YEAAHHH BRAH mode, which, aaaahhhh  Run in circles flail

I've heard Ninja speak during interviews and his voice isn't terribly deep, maybe about average baritone for a man. But lip-sync'ed?? Uh-oh

As for the terrible show, Maybe they just don't know how to put on a good show? Or maybe you're right and they're just tired. It's baffling to me that Die Antwoord didn't put in the effort to make a good show. :/There, there

As for military brahs going along with a gay DJ, that's kinda funny. The irony I mean. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by readertorider Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:33 pm

So I saw the new Star Wars and, well, you can see where this is...

Long Spoilery Rant!:
readertorider
readertorider

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:53 pm

Vince McMahon's gone on a spending spree, and plucked a bunch of top guys from New Japan Pro Wrestling. Including my guy Shinsuke Nakamura, Swagsuke, his finishing move is my user name. They also lifted the best announcer in the business (probably the only guy today who may have a hope of nearing Jim Ross in being good at it) from the American dubbing of the New Japan shows.

Gives me a sad. WWE is lower-end of PG so they can't really do much exciting, and Vince McMahon tends to treat top acts that were created elsewhere as below his own stuff, and WWE on a whole is pretty bad right. They picked a guy who wasn't ready to be the top guy, they shove him down the fan's throats, and then everything is sacrificed to prop him up and nothing else is important.

At least bright side, maybe they show up in the WWE developmental league, NXT, which is the complete opposite of the WWE's main shows.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2016 6:55 pm

Who the hell is LCD Soundsystem and Calvin Harris? Why are they headlining Coachella instead of Ice Cube, Sia or Ellie Goulding? I get GNR headlining (they're great), but I've never heard of the other two headliners.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:09 pm

LCD Soundsystem has a playlist's worth of good songs, but I do feel a little miffed they're doing Coachella with Guns And& Roses (who apparently the youngs still like? What did I miss) Uh-oh
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:03 pm

Werel wrote:LCD Soundsystem has a playlist's worth of good songs, but I do feel a little miffed they're doing Coachella with Guns And& Roses (who apparently the youngs still like? What did I miss) Uh-oh

Up until this morning I had no idea who they were and was wondering why Ellie Goulding (or Ice Cube for that matter) wasn't headlining. scratch

And I like GNR! D: Then again, I like a mostly older bands. Shrug Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:54 pm

edit: removed cause it was just a bummer and no one needs that.

Last edited by Werel on Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Shouldn't have watched Born into Brothels either, though. :()
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:07 am

Aw man, looks like they're cancelling Agent Carter. Just when it was really hitting its stride, too!

Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:13 pm

Can this year please stop taking beloved figures away? Now we've lost Harper Lee.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:42 pm

If you say in many places on your website and on your order form that preordering a certain package comes with access on March 1, and say on your game forums that you define preordering as "before February 26," you really shouldn't be surprised that a bunch of people who were casually interested in your game thought they'd be able to start playing on March 1. Not everyone interested in your game has been hanging around your forums for months, and you need those people to make your MMO run too.

Apparently I'm "in luck" because I bought both the cheap package with later access and actually did preorder it back when I had money to buy video games, but starting a new game with half my friends and seemingly a good fraction of the community in a pissy mood doesn't bode well.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:28 pm

No, Netflix I don't want to watch Fuller House after I just finished watching The Warriors. Especially after seeing Arrested Development Season 4, fool me once, shame on you. And believe me, there won't be a second or third. Unless Daredevil season 2 sucks in which case...

Besides, The only reason I watched Full House back then was because I had a thing for Lori Loughlin before I even realized I liked girls.

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:21 pm

Xena is not a show that should be rebooted. Lucy Lawless is Xena; if it isn't Lucy Lawless, it's not Xena. Yeah, it's awesome that they're going to make Xena and Gabrielle explicitly a couple this time, but surely they could come up with an original fantasy/action show about lesbians? I'm really sick of reboots.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:31 pm

This one confuses me too. It's not like Xena is something you reboot for the complex worldbuilding. It was a spinoff that mostly rested on people's interest in a character, and then later, in a ship. My usual answer is "they rebooted instead of making something new because they wanted name recognition"...but I don't really get the sense that people who didn't watch Xena the first time around are all that interested in watching a reboot, and I suspect the other original fans aren't going to like this any more than you do!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:20 pm

Exactly, it's like they're just doing it because all the cool kids are doing reboots and missing the fact that everyone else is doing reboots for a reason. I might not like the reason, but doing it for the safety of name recognition or nostalgia is better than no reason at all!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:41 pm

Saw Ex Machina last night.

This is more of an annoyance than a rant, but...how is Ava supposed to recharge her battery in the outside world without those panels she was using in the compound? This is not explained!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:42 pm

Men in Black/21 Jump Street crossover is a real thing.

>mfw
[rant] Entertainment Rants - Page 13 Ron-swanson-computer-throw-out-parks-and-rec

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:40 am

I don't even know if this is a rant or I'm nuts, buuuut...

Anybody playing Dark Souls 3? Anybody look at the Swamp Mutant face presets during character creation? Anybody else seriously discomfited to see that like... they all just look like normal Australian/Torres Strait Island Aboriginal people? Is it just me? Neutral
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:24 pm

Another lesbian dead. Sigh.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Jun 01, 2016 4:00 pm

a friend asked me to watch the first episode of game of thrones with her and i found it extremely upsetting

you're making a fantasy world, what's the need to make it so full of stylised rape scenes
i did my best to keep a straight face but to be honest i wanted to cry

fuck game of thrones, seriously
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 15 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum