NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 12 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Robjection Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:08 am

HermitTheToad wrote:If you could have your own personal J.A.R.V.I.S. who's voice would you choose to hear?
Not quite sure what a J.A.R.V.I.S. is but my first inclination for a voice would be Stephen Fry.
Robjection
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 12 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by username_6916 Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:03 am

Michael Sunczyk, the voice of Fleet Intelligence from Homeworld.

The Narrator here is a decant example.

username_6916

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:21 pm

I don't understand the desire most people seem to have to want to hold babies. I never had this desire. When my relatives had babies, I wasn't all, "ZOMG, let me hold her!" I love holding my own baby, but other babies? No, thanks.

So I really don't understand everyone over the holidays asking me if they can hold my baby. Um, I guess. But why? I find it so weird.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:56 pm

Do you like kittens or puppies? I find it helps me to understand people who get gooey over babies by substituting kittens or puppies in for babies.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Robjection wrote:
Not quite sure what a J.A.R.V.I.S. is but my first inclination for a voice would be Stephen Fry.

'Just A Rather Very Intelligent System'.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:19 am

Kek, wingmanning works again. If I can transfer this boldness to asking people out myself, 2015 is gonna be a very interesting year.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:31 am

It's almost 2015 and I'm all alone. I have no one to talk to, since everyone else is off doing whatever they're doing. No one is responding to my texts. There's no sound except the typing of my keyboard.

I'm on Reddit, posting in every "make new friend" subreddit to desperately find someone to talk to.

I'm so lonellyyyyyyyy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:41 am

I'm going to be a boring old person and pack off to bed soon, but sending a hi your way.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:50 am

'How To Pickup Girls Who Have A Boyfriend: Use These Tips With Caution!'

How do these idiots keep getting so many views? Disapproving

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:46 am

Commiserations to Glides, from a party attended by five happy couples...and me.

And now commiserations for Werel and her electricity-impaired neighbors.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:19 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:
And now commiserations for Werel and her electricity-impaired neighbors.

Heh heh heh, I'm on Maui till Saturday. Missed me again, HECO incompetence. Cool
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:09 pm

Autumnflame wrote:Do you like kittens or puppies? I find it helps me to understand people who get gooey over babies by substituting kittens or puppies in for babies.

I do like puppies and kittens, but still not to that level. More like, "Oh, boy, they're cute!" But not with the driving desire to hold one just because I saw it, you know? So, still weird to me. Smile

And on a separate but related issue, getting tired of people wanting to hold the baby who are holding her wrong. Hey, she's not old enough to have complete control of her head yet. You need to support it, people. >Neutral

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:09 pm

So now that we're in 2015, where the heck are our hoverboards?
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:17 am

There's nothing quite like looking at your half naked self in a dressing room cubicle.

Because the bullshit lighting and mirrors are set up in such a way so that every unglamorous physical feature can be seen in all it's amplified, shitty glory. At multiple angles too.

And people come here to look good in new clothes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:30 am

Thing is, the bullshit lighting doesn't just amplify all your unglamorous physical features. It also screws with the visible colour of the clothes. You can be trying clothes on in the shop and the colours look like a pretty good match, then you wear them outside in the sunlight and suddenly they look horribly uncoordinated.
Robjection
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:44 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:So now that we're in 2015, where the heck are our hoverboards?

Forget hoverboards. I want my Mr. Fusion.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:10 pm

Wondering wrote:

Duuude, yes. Mr. Fusion > everything else, because then we don't need to worry about fossil fuels!! Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:13 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Wondering wrote:

Duuude, yes. Mr. Fusion > everything else, because then we don't need to worry about fossil fuels!! Grin

Well, yeah. IIRC the real reason we don't have flying cars yet is that without Mr. Fusion to power them, they're ludicrously fuel-inefficient.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:32 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Wondering wrote:

Not just that, but we would also no longer pollute with landfills or ocean dumping. All garbage would be used as fuel. Burning trash, also probably out. Seriously, I want my Mr. Fusion. Get on that, science!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Jan 03, 2015 9:47 pm

Witty retort that seems to have not been used yet as for as googling can tell:
"At least buy me dinner first!"
"I am your dinner!"
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:04 am

I don't find this particularly thread worthy, but I have been ruminating on it. Best place to put it, as far as I see.

I feel like, and this is just supposition and from checking out discussions of the topic, the resistance to 'enthusiastic consent' laws and such are rooted in the belief that many a shy / awkward / boisterous but only as a cover men have that no woman would actually ever be enthusiastic in their consent to sex with them in the first place.

I dunno if it has legit roots or if it's purely me tying things together that just fit how my own mind operates, but it's a thought. And random one.

For the record, I don't disagree with enthusiastic consent laws and the social side of encouraging that view.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:27 am

Most of what I've read is that campus tribunals are crap, with ridiculous cases ranging from gang rape on an unconscious person caught in camera being punished with "banned from campus after graduation" to people being expelled and tarred for tipsy frenching two years back(with the victim still hanging out with the dude inbetween) happening, and any law that further vindicates the 'let's treat this like a college problem instead of a society problem' sentiment doesn't fix the abysmal way in how police often handle rape cases. I get it, paralegal systems that have the explicit purposes to protect students, not jail offenders, but hear me out.

I've sat on campus comittees in Ireland(student council, International Rep in Welfare Committee) and in Holland(Education Committee) and it was full of people so self-doubting they go along with almost everything(moi), single issue axegrinders and CV padders, the Officers were overworked and squabbling internally, and the uni personnel worked tightly by the book to handle everything as quickly as possible. If student organs on less grave matters are already such clown cars, do you really expect them to handle rape in an appropriate manner?
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:57 am

That's a fair enough assessment. I wouldn't expect any university council to handle the issue particularly well given that, no matter where you go, the university will be looking out to keep their rep clean and not actually help people. Take that with a cynical pinch of salt, of course.

I don't have a first hand account of anything to do with the laws, I'm afraid - while I won't deny that rape happens in Australian universities any less than US ones (although I do not have stats - I should find some), those laws are a US concept and there isn't even a discussion about anything similar here. Right now, anyway. Hence why I don't disagree with them in concept, but they probably wouldn't work quite right here in the first place.

We don't have many universities where you actually live on the campus in huge dorms. There are dorms in some (mine had a very small one) but a lot of students live in houses / apartments rented out near the campus that are owned by private citizens on the cheap because they will never be out of takers. They aren't exactly covered by any university group or such that I know of.

I was more thinking from a personal level standpoint with the less confident (still stuck in the 'it's a game you need to beat' mindset of actually attracting / meeting people exacerbating it as one would expect).

But that's simplifying an issue that, I suppose, I don't exactly have a real hand in.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Sometimes I think when nerdy guys say "women have it way easier at dating, it's not fair", what they're really saying is "a woman with my personality type and life circumstances would have a much easier time dating than me, it's not fair". The latter may or may not still be false, but perhaps more sympathetic, in my view.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nonA Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 pm

Mapwater:  Laws, by definition, need to include a punishment for people who break them.  What punishment would you impose on someone whose partner later said "I said yes, but in retrospect I wasn't sufficiently enthused"?

Wisp:  Compare what people have assured me are fundamental facts of life as a man.

A woman whose only goal is to find a date/relationship/bedmate, regardless of little details like pleasure or safety, will indeed have an easier time doing so than a man.  The fact that these men focus only on landing a date/relationship/partner instead of finding a fulfillingone speaks to the universal human habit of overstating other people's benefits while overlooking the drawbacks.

nonA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 26 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum