NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Random Thoughts: The Randoming

+38
Andrew Corvero
Chickpea Sarada
Robjection
PintsizeBro
Suika
Prajnaparamita
Raindancing
Caffeinated
Hirundo Bos
Wondering
username_6916
Gman
Lemminkainen
TheRoux
LadyIkaros
Gentleman Johnny
WJMorris3
nonA
Hae
InkAndComb
sky
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
kath
waxingjaney
C-Bass
Coin-op Adjutant
Enail
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Werel
Conreezy
KMR
caliseivy
eselle28
reboot
BasedBuzzed
nearly_takuan
42 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 24 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Guest Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:26 am

Prajnaparamita wrote:
He's a manifestation of Chenrezig, the Tibetan version of the boddhisatva Avlokiteshvara. Nobody is the reincarnation of the Buddha, it's part of the definition. Even with Vajrayana being like "yah, parinirvana is bullshit" it just means he isn't dead in the first place, and thus doesn't make sense to be reincarnated.

Oh, well, there you go! Razz

Looks like I was previously lied to. <_<

Back to top Go down

Random Thoughts: The Randoming - Page 24 Empty Re: Random Thoughts: The Randoming

Post by Prajnaparamita Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:35 am

The Mikey wrote:
Prajnaparamita wrote:
He's a manifestation of Chenrezig, the Tibetan version of the boddhisatva Avlokiteshvara. Nobody is the reincarnation of the Buddha, it's part of the definition. Even with Vajrayana being like "yah, parinirvana is bullshit" it just means he isn't dead in the first place, and thus doesn't make sense to be reincarnated.

Oh, well, there you go! Razz

Looks like I was previously lied to. <_<

Naw, it's okay. Chenrezig is pretty big shit, in terms of importance to the Tibetan cannon, so same difference really. "Incarnation of someone important" is about the best answer you'll get, but "spiritual figurehead put in place to serve the Mongol empire when they invaded to give them religious legitimacy" works too if you feel like being a smartass about it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:44 am

Man, I wish I had a better beard.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Guest lectured in a friend's undergraduate course on Friday; didn't have much time to prepare, so ad-libbed most of what I said (not hard, talking on the area of my own research). Spoke too carelessly and glib-grimly about a weighty ethical topic that demanded much more thoughtful handling, especially when talking to kids who are not very familiar with the topic. Might have been appropriate to say those things to colleagues over a beer, but not to 18 year olds with no background on the subject. Still turning my words over in my mind and beating myself up a little. Is that over-scrupulosity, or just best practice to ensure I think and choose my words more carefully next time? Hopefully the latter, if I'm spending a lot of time thinking about why I said it wrong, and what "saying it right" would look like.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Mon Mar 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Ok, apparently this link is from two years ago, but I just saw it for the first time and found it interesting and helpful, and thought maybe you guys would too: 21 Tips to Keep Your Shit Together When You're Depressed
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:22 pm

Nice to know that when I'm almost unconscious from dehydration I still have enough presence of mind and survival instinct to make myself do all the things I need to do.
Not so nice to know that the "instinct" to refuse help from any source for any reason also runs approximately that deep. innocent
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Raindancing Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:37 pm

I hate that I love Amazon so much. But I do.
Raindancing
Raindancing

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:00 am

Question that is random: do you guys notice the effects of caffeine?
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:15 am

I notice headaches more when I don't have it, so it's more noticing its absence.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:48 am

kath wrote:Question that is random: do you guys notice the effects of caffeine?

No, then again, not even energy drinks do much for me. I rely on the placebo effect to make caffeine effective.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:41 am

I notice the diuretic properties. And I seem to reach a noticeably elevated heart rate much sooner (in a way that doesn't feel great) if I try to bike or run shortly after ingesting a caffeine source. I am not sure to what extent it actually helps me stay awake, though, and I kind of doubt it really makes me behave more wakefully.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:30 am

That Sam Smith, though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:57 pm

This is pretty awesome.

Who woulda thought? Generational differences, maybe?

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:04 pm

The Mikey wrote:This is pretty awesome.

Who woulda thought? Generational differences, maybe?

I actually thought it crossed the line from "yeah, not my thing" to being kind of mean. I think the sting is lessened because she's going against standards of conventional attractiveness rather than enforcing them, but the 32-year-old guys I know who read as quite young seem to find the men/boy language hurtful.

Beyond that, it's not really all that surprising that a 58-year-old woman finds a man in her peer group more appealing than one who could be her son, though it is refreshing she chose someone other than the actors in their 50s who tend to play leading men.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:29 am

eselle28 wrote:
I actually thought it crossed the line from "yeah, not my thing" to being kind of mean. I think the sting is lessened because she's going against standards of conventional attractiveness rather than enforcing them, but the 32-year-old guys I know who read as quite young seem to find the men/boy language hurtful.

Beyond that, it's not really all that surprising that a 58-year-old woman finds a man in her peer group more appealing than one who could be her son, though it is refreshing she chose someone other than the actors in their 50s who tend to play leading men.

You think so? I didn't think she was being that mean, if she were to absolutely emasculate Dornan by calling him a sissy or whatever mean and demeaning insult then I'd agree.

Then again, I'm 23, I'm practically a gorram baby or old enough to be her grandson. Razz As for the men/boy language being hurtful, I dunno, thats a topic for another day and another thread. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:42 am

I guess the strapless options were never intended for anyone larger than an A-cup Sad
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:37 pm

And implants.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:59 pm

"I'm going with the Skyla (3 years) rather than the Mirena (5 years) because it will hurt less."

OH GOD I don't even WANT to know what hurting more than this feels like! pale

"Have you considered the shot?"

WELL CLEARLY I SHOULD HAVE

Well, its been over two hours, two extra strength tylenols, and two heating pads, one other the other, since when it got implanted and at least I don't feel like I'm going to puke everywhere anymore.

(And just then everything contracted again in pain. OUCH GODDAMNIT STOP THAT :shout: )

Well guys, in case you were wondering, that's how the implant ended up going. Midwives. Clearly evil.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:08 pm

Dudes who use their tote bags to occupy an additional seat in a crowded train must prefer being alone over being not inconvenient to the people around them. I don't understand that from either direction....
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:41 pm

What would the phrase for "biting your tongue" be for talking online? "Sitting on your hands"?
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:"I'm going with the Skyla (3 years) rather than the Mirena (5 years) because it will hurt less."

Well, its been over two hours, two extra strength tylenols, and two heating pads, one other the other, since when it got implanted and at least I don't feel like I'm going to puke everywhere anymore.

(And just then everything contracted again in pain. OUCH GODDAMNIT STOP THAT :shout: )

Well guys, in case you were wondering, that's how the implant ended up going. Midwives. Clearly evil.

I'm so sorry. I hope you're feeling a little better today.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:00 pm

eselle28 wrote:
Prajnaparamita wrote:"I'm going with the Skyla (3 years) rather than the Mirena (5 years) because it will hurt less."

Yes, finally late this morning the cramping stopped! Grin I was pretty scared though--I had no idea how much longer it was supposed to go on for.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:16 pm

Prajnaparamita wrote:
eselle28 wrote:

Yes, finally late this morning the cramping stopped! Grin I was pretty scared though--I had no idea how much longer it was supposed to go on for.

Glad to hear!! That is always a scary feeling. Pain is one thing. Pain that you have no idea when or if it will stop is another.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Mar 13, 2015 2:23 pm

reboot wrote:
Glad to hear!! That is always a scary feeling. Pain is one thing. Pain that you have no idea when or if it will stop is another.

Yeah, the cramping was one thing, the sudden random pinching when I tried to walk was freaking me out. I knew I was being ridiculous, but I kept imagining that the wires had gotten jostled out of place and were now poking out somewhere they shouldn't be... Shocked

I'm glad that's over.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:55 pm

I'm watching some WWYD segments on the web, and I'm so hoping sooner or later they actually put on footage of someone who counters casual -isms through cold science instead of indignation or live-and-let-live attitude.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum