NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anime general thread

+20
Hielario
bomaye
sky
eselle28
Student
Werel
Archetype694
Bumble
Xexyz
Caffeinated
HSavinien
Jayce
choys
CP96
litterature
Aggrax
Kurairush
Chickpea Sarada
Suika
Enail
24 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Anime general thread Empty Anime general thread

Post by Enail Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:03 pm

What are you watching?

I've started watching Yurikuma Arashi, the new series by Ikuhara, who directed my all-time favourite series, Shoujo Kakumei Utena.  I've only seen 1 1/2 episodes, but so far I'm finding it weird, and largely not in the good way, and sort of like a random toybox of his usual tropes jumbled together in excess, much like his last series post-Utena. So I suspect that, like his last series, it's going to be more disappointing than not, the symbolic plane too unmoored from the rest of the story to feel meaningful, but possibly with enough brilliance and spark to be inspiring anyway. Neutral
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anime general thread Empty Re: Anime general thread

Post by Suika Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:13 pm

Yeah, I do have a lot on my backlog that I never get to.

Was thinking about watching Bakemonogatari, Yozakura Quartet, Texhnolyze and also catch up on Jojo.
Suika
Suika

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:59 pm

The last little while, I've been keeping up on:

Sailor Moon Crystal:

SHUT UP

Actually I watched the original dub back when I was a kid for a season or two (SHUT UP) and figured I'd give it a check-out for some nostalgia and to see what's actually up with it since I barely remember it.

I like how dreamlike it is and I do like the minor skirmishes, but it felt like the ending of the Queen Metalia arc was just both sides exchanging deus ex machinas. There's no fundamental or underlying reason behind any of their powers, so the bad guys just kind of decide they're going to win because the good guys decide they're not strong enough, but then the legendary crystal decides it's strong enough to win for the good guys but then the bad guys decide not, and I just end up going "Someone decide who's going to win already" Neutral

Dragon Ball Kai: Buu Saga

I'd never seen the Cell Game or the Buu Saga before Kai, so I figured I'd get that out of the way. The Cell Saga was Toriyama trying to hold together something that was probably past its prime, the Buu Saga was him just not caring anymore and trying to get away with doing what he wants (light-hearted hijinx). The good guys could've won about 10 different times but they just decide not to for random reasons.

Gundam G no Reconguista

The original Gundam creator's latest series. It's very colourful and has a nostalgic 80s feel to it. The story is impossible to follow, though. We're on episode 19 or 26 and I still can't identify all the factions, what their true aims are, or even what they're fighting about anymore. I don't even know what the motivation of the main character is either.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:21 pm

You know, I don't watch anime very often.

The last anime that I watched in it's entirety though was Chobits. Very cute litte animu that I enjoyed quite a lot. A very relate-able series for those of us boys who have trouble with real girls. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:11 am

So, I guess I'm watching Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! now. I also bought the first two volumes of Naoki Urasawa's Monster, which is great.

Also buying Kill La Kill volumes as they get released on Bluray.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:03 am

Recently I downloaded an entire collection of Space Battleship Yamato, all 3 original seasons, all 6 movies including the 2010 live action movie and the remake: Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199.

Love that ship. . . and Melda Dietz! Heart Heart Heart

Back to top Go down

Post by Chickpea Sarada Thu Mar 26, 2015 7:31 am

It's been a long time since I watched an entire series of an anime.  Probably Madoka Magica back in 2011.  Since then, I would just watch one or a few episodes of this or that show at a time.

The latest anime I've watched was Hetalia: Beautiful World after downloading a few dubbed episodes on iTunes.  Before that was Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt, also dubbed and downloaded from iTunes.  They are two series where I like the English dubs better than the original Japanese versions.

Recently I watched and was astounded by an OVA episode of The Phoenix on youtube.  Particularly the space episode where some astronauts are forced to abandon ship after a meteor collision, and [SPOILER] one of them turns out to be cursed by the Phoenix to age backwards.

My brother was not as much of an anime fan as I was, but I was able to get him hooked on Death Note when it aired on Adult Swim.  Now in an interesting reversal, he has seen every episode of Attack on Titan and I still have yet to get into it.
Chickpea Sarada
Chickpea Sarada

Back to top Go down

Post by Kurairush Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:55 pm

I've had a few up-and-down periods, but I think I've settled into an anime-watching groove.
Recently, I've started on Great Teacher Onizuka and I'm thinking of venturing into the second season of Spice and Wolf.
Other than that, I'll be up to 100 anime titles completed after I finished S1 of Gunslinger Girl.
Kurairush
Kurairush

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu May 14, 2015 7:37 am

Ore Monogatari or however you spell it is hilarious, cute as hell, and full of FEELS
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Thu May 14, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm been watching Season 3 of World God Only Knows recently, probably going to finish it today. It's... a mixed bag. The premise of the show is something that never really clicked with me and the changes made for this seasons arc bring to light some... questionable aspects of the main character.

Despite all that though, the thing that really bothered me is that it sunk my favorite ship and being the anime shipping trash that I am this displeases me greatly.
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Fri May 15, 2015 5:35 pm

I'm two episodes away from finishing Rolling Girls. While I agree it could have been better, I think it's getting a lot of unfair reviews. Honestly I think it's quite good?
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Wed May 20, 2015 5:44 pm

So my friends and I hung out and watched old anime last night and because of that I got to once again experience the sheer insane glory that is the anime Riding Bean, followed by its sister series Gunsmith Cats. Both of which absolutely have stood the test of time. Shame they are so hard to find now.
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by CP96 Wed May 20, 2015 6:18 pm

I regularly re-watch Cowboy Bebop, if only for the soundtrack and the atmospherics.
CP96
CP96

Back to top Go down

Post by choys Thu May 21, 2015 8:28 pm

It's a shame that it's been so long since I've had the time to sit and watch anime as I used to.  I am so far behind on Naruto, One Piece, and Bleach, which were the last 3 series I was following, that I'm kinda intimidated into starting up again.  Doesn't help that I prefer subititles to dubs, which makes multi-tasking nigh impossible.

I've been wanting to rewatch some of my old faves, mainly Rurouni Kenshin and Fushigi Yuugi.  I can find the dubbed version of Kenshin everywhere, but not the subtitled, which makes me sad.  The dubs just can't compare to the dramatic Shatner-esque deliveries of the character's names in the original.  

[Warning: fangirl Japanese ahead, even worse, from memory of years gone by...]
Like...
Oniwabanshu no...Shinomori.  [dramatic pause]  Aoshi.  

Or...
Saitoh Hajime, Shinsengumi no san-ban tai taicho.  [dramatic pause]  Mibu no Okami.

Razz

My roomies and I turned it into a drinking game.  Anytime a character had to call another character by their full name and/or rank/position/title.  We were blasted pretty quick.  

choys

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Sun Jun 21, 2015 9:25 am

I don't watch much anime besides long running, ongoing shounen series because I feel all of them are way too short to my liking, I want a world I can immerse myself in and not just ditch after 20 episodes or so. However I have found that I like The Heroic Legend of Arslan after giving it a go, I've never known anything much about Persian history at all, it so cool to find out about things like Marzban or Ectabana, things that actually existed in real Persian history! Also love that the "damsel in distress" is a male prince, he's so adorable. The main themes in this series are also quite good- it's about the idea of slavery, and also religious fanaticism. The series is a bit short since only 24 episodes are planned so far but I'm a bit sucker for fantasy settings.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by HSavinien Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:58 am

Stella Women's Academy, High School Division Class C3 - All women, teenage airsoft survival games club. Adorable little fanatics, all of them!

Free! - High school swim team realistically fails to conquer all in their path during their first year as a team, team manager has a (strong female gaze) intense appreciation for muscles.
HSavinien
HSavinien

http://hsavinien.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:06 am

Dragonball Super

Ehhhhh....
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:40 am

One Punch Man

Holy SHIT

The animation is out of this world for a TV anime. And it's funny and it's thoughtful and what in the absolute fuck am I watching?

I'm typing this and I haven't even finished Episode 1
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayce Sun Nov 29, 2015 1:21 pm

One Punch Man is definitely a very playful, self aware, funny shounen with a bit of light satire on the super hero genre. What I also love about it is that the creator of the story is just a guy that draws manga as a hobby. My only issue with it is that I'm up to date up the manga, and even in the manga there isn't much of an established continuous plot or a clear direct this series is steering towards. But it's definitely fun to watch, and it's a show that strings me along.

Though, I can't help but keep thinking of Ikkaku from Bleach, every time I look at Saitama.

Jayce

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:37 pm

Just binge-watched all 8 current episodes

Shit's so spectacular
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:03 pm

Can anyone make me a recommendation?

My favorite ever anime experience was watching Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi in Tokyo, and Tenchi Universe on Cartoon Network in the late 90s.

If possible, something available on Netflix or Amazon Prime?
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:53 pm

Caffeinated wrote:Can anyone make me a recommendation?

My favorite ever anime experience was watching Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi in Tokyo, and Tenchi Universe on Cartoon Network in the late 90s.

If possible, something available on Netflix or Amazon Prime?

I just finished watching Nana on Netflix, which I heartily recommend. Unfortunately, like many anime the story isn't finished at the point the anime ends but it's very good regardless. Fate/Zero & Fate/Stay Night are also up on Netflix; Zero is very good and I just started watching Stay Night and am very impressed so far.

Also, RWBY. It's not true anime, but it has heavy anime influences and is excellent. Also on Netflix.

Xexyz

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Thanks! I'll check those out Smile
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Bumble Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:14 am

I actually watched Revolutionary Girl Utena for the first time pretty recently and it was amazing. Easily in my top 5 even with the pacing issues and nanami episodes. There's a dubbed version on Hulu if neone is interested in checking it out.

Since then I saw Kids on the Slope (decent) and the Evangelion reboots. (only 2.0 is good.)

Bumble

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:58 pm

Utena is my #1 anime of all time. That ending....
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum