NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 10 Empty Re: Rants

Post by Izmuth Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:31 am

Tw: pedofilia/hebephilia/sexual assault
Spoiler:
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:50 am

Sorry, dude. That really sucks. Sad
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Nov 15, 2014 11:45 am

Sorry, Izmuth. It is going to be extremely hard to find someone for you to open up to.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:28 pm

Could you be less of a pain in the ass about this? It's not like you're doing anything else all day other than playing games on the Internet I'm actually paying for. If you have a problem with keeping up our arrangement, if it's inconveniencing you so much, then just say so and say you're not doing it anymore. You never have a problem telling me no and offending me other times on unnecessary things.
Honking the horn at me when I don't come rushing out the house quickly enough when you said yourself we'd be leaving later and then coming back inside to ask me with attitude what I doing when I didn't come right out is a jerk and unnecessary move considering you would have fussed about me leaving my dishes in the sink had I not taken time to do them before leaving.

*sigh* I need this damn license yesterday.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:25 pm

This whole situation breaks my heart and infuriates me. As soon as I am allowed back, I am going to work on this crisis again www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/world/middleeast/yazidi-girls-seized-by-isis-speak-out-after-escape.html
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 15, 2014 8:52 pm

Somebody please make it all stop

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:19 pm

So I guess the good news nice-feeling part is I'm not completely unattractive i.e. there exists at least one person who wanted to go on a date with me, and I wasn't totally misinterpreting everything out of a twisted sort of wishful thinking and hypochondria, and I did more or less the "right" thing in response. Possible good news is I also now have reason to believe some things that were said were not 100% sincerely held problematic beliefs and might have just been poorly-chosen attempts at demonstrating quote-unquote "empathy" for some imagined/idealized version of me. (Actually that thought kind of mitigates some of the nice feelings too, though.)

The, uh, worse news is that I made the mistake of assuming the fact that she'd been making clumsy hints instead of, you know, telling me anything meant that it was still a relatively low investment on her part. That plus the fact that I lack much in the way of real-time conversational agility in the first place means my attempt at directly addressing the topic was probably less tactful than it could have been. Regardless, she seems more upset than I anticipated.

Not the worst possible outcome, by a great distance, but still crappy enough to affect my interest in lunch.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:12 pm

"And then you'll have the asexuals marching for the right to...not do anything." *Grins*

Dan Savage you think you are being clever but you are actually just making an ass of yourself. Again.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:21 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:"And then you'll have the asexuals marching for the right to...not do anything." *Grins*

Dan Savage you think you are being clever but you are actually just making an ass of yourself. Again.

I'm not a fan of Dan Savage.  He uses the supposed attitude of "telling it like it is" to be an asshole. He's said nasty things about pretty much every sexual group, it seems (except maybe gay men?).
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:22 pm

Aaarghm beign a n00b at contacts Sad

Can't wait till I can do this well so I can wear them only when I actually want to!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by kleenestar Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:24 am

Me: "We just invested some time and money in making sure our routine chores will be as easy to maintain as possible post-baby. Isn't that cool?"

You: "AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA you think you will have any routines? That was a waste."

Fuck you, just because you have a non-contributing husband and super-demanding children doesn't give you the right to be both unhelpful and unkind.
kleenestar
kleenestar

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:44 am

Argh. I gave you credit for being an honest, straightforward adult who wouldn't play Fuck With BiSian's head games. And yeah now I have pretty decent proof that you're either being sneaky or stupid-as-fuck. Not sure which is worse.
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:12 am

I made the mistake of looking at BiSian's avatar, and even though I have no idea what it is, I am now hungry, so I'm hoping it's food rather than a picture of a horrific skin disease or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:31 am

A little of column A, a little of column B.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:00 am

I, for one, welcome our delicious cephalopod overlords. OM NOM NOM NOM.

Back to top Go down

Post by BiSian Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:26 pm

It IS delicious, especially with chunks of crusty bread to sop up the oil. Mmmm pulpo...Now I need to go to the seafood market!
BiSian
BiSian

http://thepurplebackpack.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by username_6916 Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:15 am

You know, I'm starting to get the feeling that maybe I just shouldn't touch computers. Everything I touch seems to develop some issue or other. My parent's box is getting seemingly random BSODs and/or Kernel Panics. I broke my laptop's power connector, then screwed up when soldering it back on, leaving a short circuit at the power connector. Now this salvage desktop is making weird noises. Not to mention that the NOVEAU drivers are broken beyond all belief to the extent that I'm tempted to start reading Kernel Dev howtos.

username_6916

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:41 am

So from the thread about the Shirt, on the topic of Sorry, I wanted to say (though it's not relevant to the shirt or worth reopening the thread so I thought I'd just say it here) -

nearly_takuan wrote:
ETA: I do think Christianity-at-large and Western culture have probably historically put more emphasis on the explaining, excusing, and confessing aspects, though. "Sorry" comes from the same roots as "sorrow", and was originally meant to express grief, regret, distress, or personal suffering. "Apology" comes from Greek and Latin words for giving testimony and explanations in defense of oneself or one's group (this is still the meaning when we talk about religious apologists). To me these seem like extremely different things, so I find it peculiar that for the last four hundred years, "apologize" has meant "say you're sorry" in Western culture.

As a Canadian, I feel the need to say that I employ sorry on a daily basis in such a way that it means "I feel sorrow" about X thing. Like "Ugh, the trains were so slow today" "I'm sorry!" - Not taking responsibility, sort of like "oh that sucks, man!" or possibly "know that feel, bro".

Also sometimes I apologize when people walk into me, but that's force of habit Razz.

(I also apologize for things I have done that have negative effects on people, usually also employing the word sorry, although sometimes I will specifically avoid the word "sorry" if it's a very serious apology)
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:47 am

Yes, I didn't mean to indicate that there aren't multiple senses of the word "sorry", just that it should be as clear to the listener which sense of the word is being used as it is to the speaker, because otherwise feelings get hurt. Smile

I totally approve of using the word more liberally as an indicator of commiseration. And I agree there are also some times when it's better to leave out the word, and instead say something like "I realize I did $shitty_thing and that was a shitty and inconsiderate thing to do. Can I try to make it up to you by $offer?"
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:41 am

nearly_takuan wrote:A little of column A, a little of column B.

Spoiler:

Sorry, I had a bad experience with pulpo in kindergarten. D: My teacher thought the suction cups would make a perfect water color paint texture and was having her students smack the paint covered tentacles on paper. Disapproving

((RobjEDIT: As much as I get the sentiment, I'm pretty sure most of us don't want to see an animation of someone actually vomiting without at least being warned first. Spoilered the gif to prevent further accidental sightings. If you want to change it to a different, more work-safe image, you're more than welcome to.))

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:07 am

Hmm, could you put that gif under a cut please?

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am

As someone whose sister is not only primary tech support in this house, but can code with the best of them, I can't believe Mattel is pandering to this stereotype.

Computer Engineer Barbie Needs Men To Write Code, Can’t Reboot Computer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm really, really tired of seeing people who can say anything, do anything, and everyone can't helped be charmed by it. People can't help wanting to be around them and forgive them no matter what they do. Yet no matter what I say or do, everyone thinks I'm an idiot. Nobody wants to be around me, and everyone looks for any opportunity they can to criticize me.

Back to top Go down

Post by username_6916 Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:19 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:As someone whose sister is not only primary tech support in this house, but can code with the best of them, I can't believe Mattel is pandering to this stereotype.

Computer Engineer Barbie Needs Men To Write Code, Can’t Reboot Computer

Writing fail. Is there anything about even the most stereotypical Barbie character that prevents her from being some sort of badass kernel dev or something like that? Why couldn't the writers have her writing a phone app to keep track of her beauty products, or flirting with someone by way of obfuscated C programs? There's lots of ways to make Barbie be stereotypically Barbie without making her incompetent.

username_6916

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 20, 2014 8:06 pm

embertine wrote:Hmm, could you put that gif under a cut please?

Crapsackle, sorry about that guys, I was pretty sure it was a fake gif. D:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum