NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 24 Empty Re: Rants

Post by username_6916 Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:34 pm

[ltr]P.S. Can someone explain to me why, when I use "Word" to write my posts and check spelling, when pasting the text here, there are these ltr boxes everywhere? confused [/ltr]

I'm guessing that the WISIYG post editor is inserting those "tags" to represent some sort of formatting that's contained in the text you copied from word, but the forum software doesn't support said formatting tag. To avoid this, you can copy the text into a plain-text editor, like Gvim or Notepad, then paste it into the forum software.

Or you might tell the forum software not to WISIG. Look for a toolbar button that says "switch editor mode".

Sometime recently, the person I regard to be my closest friend removed from Facebook. Yes, I'm sure you all think I deserved it, but it still hurts. Assuming that was her intent... I don't know, but I'm afraid to contact her to find out.

Since I got my offer it's becoming abundantly clear that my parents regard me as an investment security. My dad is lecturing me about how I'm not taking the job I'm starting seriously, about how I need a shorter haircut, or how I need to dress "better" than the folks who interviewed me, about how I need a fancier car to show off my my improved status (and deal with city traffic). It's slowly driving me nuts. I'm already stressed out, wondering if I deserve the position at all. I don't want to deal with pointless distractions. And I most certainly don't want there to be much wailing and mashing of teeth every time I say that, no, the job isn't the most important thing in my life. Not to mention his demand that I be the provider husband he never was.

Also, this house. Sure, the rent is cheap (free, minus labor). But, it's falling apart. Fixing anything becomes a family feud, where my mother thinks she can extract some concession by taking some part of the operation hostage to her demands, my father thinks that jerry-rigging everything "temporarily" is a good answer, and I'm thinking we could finish whatever the task at hand was with 1/2 the trips to the hardware store if only one or both of them would actually understand what I'm saying.

Also, plumbing. Plumbing sucks.

username_6916

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:56 am

Ugh, it would appear a skunk has taken up residence near my house for the past month, judging by the stench I smell once or twice a week. I'm kinda afraid to let my dog out when I smell it, for fear of him being sprayed!
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:54 am

Note to self: don't read about grad school or the academic job market before bed, ugh.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 am

I'm getting tired of strangers (almost always male) telling me what I should/need to be doing with my future and my time in college. That goes double for being reminded that I have a deadline to have children before it becomes harder and more risky to have them. I know this. I have been told this since childhood by too many people to count. stop telling women this.
I'm tired of being chatted up by random guys and this shit thrown in there as though that's supposed to make me desperate or something. You aren't dropping some brand new knowledge on me, I have literally heard it since childhood.

Don't ask me out the blue if I'm dating and then tell me how I need to get on the ball about finding someone because [biological clock bs, some nonsensical crap about guys and relationships] as though all this time I haven't gotten a boyfriend/husband or had kids because I just haven't tried. Now that you've pointed out my obvious laziness in fulfilling my womanly duties I'll put on my mate-hunting gear and catch me a breadwinner! No, I'm not being shy and hard to get when I pay more attention to the computer screen then you. I've already told you I'm not looking for anyone right now, I'm in the middle of working on something that's 1,000 times more interesting than your potential aspirations to get an Accord or whatever you went on about trying to get my attention. When you start a conversation off by telling me what I should do with my life then try to frighten me into action you fall so far down the list that you become non-existent.

In the three years I have worked here I have had too many men come in and start telling me how I should go about my education and how I need to get focused without any discussion leading up to the topic. I don't care if you're already graduated or currently degree-seeking (which makes telling me how to do it that much more annoying), I don't need your "advice" and I didn't ask for it. Save it for someone who actually asks for your input.

I've been fuming about this for a few days. I thought it would just die down like usual but it didn't this time.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:45 pm

Mum still in hospital, still no real idea what's going on.

At least the worst she has to deal with now is intense boredom of being stuck in the hospital.

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:04 pm

I realized I should've stayed at home today when my bathroom break became an improvised nap session... bathroom's ambiant sounds make for weird dreams...

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:13 pm

caliseivy wrote: Now that you've pointed out my obvious laziness in fulfilling my womanly duties I'll put on my mate-hunting gear and catch me a breadwinner!

You should really just show up to lab one day wearing an outback hat and hiking boots with a gigantic butterfly net and tell the guy(s) its your mate hunting gear and how you've got a whole little habitat in your spare room for when you catch one that's got a water bottle and a food dish and a little wheel he can run around in.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:
caliseivy wrote: Now that you've pointed out my obvious laziness in fulfilling my womanly duties I'll put on my mate-hunting gear and catch me a breadwinner!

You should really just show up to lab one day wearing an outback hat and hiking boots with a gigantic butterfly net and tell the guy(s) its your mate hunting gear and how you've got a whole little habitat in your spare room for when you catch one that's got a water bottle and a food dish and a little wheel he can run around in.

It might be fun to show up in the library like that.
hmmm...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Wed Jan 21, 2015 6:23 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:

One day this, too, could be yours:

Rants - Page 24 Tumblr_mus33xHROU1rmaq04o1_500

(There is a fantastic scene in this episode where the boys are happily playing in their cage - hamster wheel, water feeder and jumbo feeding pellets galore, but all I can find is gifs of them failing to drink when presented with anything that isn't a water feeder)

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:46 pm

I hate the "end of men" narrative that's been floating about lately. I really hate the seemingly perennial articles that essentially say "yep, men are so stupid, overconfident, and unempathetic that they make terrible employees and really women will soon make more money than those useless men".
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:50 am

Pro-tip: try to find the Twitter feeds of article writers and scroll for a few minutes. There's always enough material on there that shows how basic they are outside of the smug ragebait they crap out.

In slightly related news, stumbled upon a Dutch article trying to introduce identity politics to Holland(no doubt it's already here in certain circles, but this is it going mainstream), and of course it's written by a hipsterish ex-Green Party member who originally joined parliamentary election for the lolz and described himself as having an unhealthy obsession with media attention(am reminded of this: http://fredrikdeboer.com/2014/11/19/its-pretty-simple-really/ ). He's a good community organizer and speaker, but never stuck to one political hobbyhorse for long and sticks to style over substance in his speeches, and if this is the type to introduce the topic over here, it will die in its cradle.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:52 pm

It's nearly 4am here. I can't sleep. I'm just in too much pain. I really just wish someone would tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong that makes nobody want to have anything to do with me. Why is it that not a single person I know would be willing to even have a five minute conversation with me? I'm am so, so, so tired of living in a world that makes absolutely clear it doesn't want me in it.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:47 pm

Spending five days a week in an environment with innumerable attractive young women my age is getting very frustrating and depressing.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:10 pm

I'll trade you for a week in geek central. I could us a breather. Smile

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 pm

Um, pretty sure this isn't TMI but if anyone thinks it is, feel free to shout out.

Today's DNL letter's (specifically the first one) reminded me of the time a group of people on a forum tried to convince me that my being put off at the thought of receiving a blowjob was weird after I brought it up in a discussion about turn offs / preferences.

While I won't deny it seems to go against the standard, it was creepy have a group of people try and sell it to me when I made it pretty clear that's essentially a no-go thing for me because a hang-up I have about mouths.

Long story short, I find them pretty gross. Dunno why, but the sounds they make, the site of chewing and other stuff just make me... *shudder*, don't want to even think about it. Had this hang-up since I was a child. I couldn't even be around other kids when they ate. Now I'm cool with eating even if I do have to actively tune out the sound of chewing or feel nauseous, so that's good.

But erotic acts with the mouth (and to a much lesser extent, kissing)? Err, still working on not balking at that.

Anyway, you'd be surprised at the amount of people that think you're a weirdo for not wanting to be on the receiving end of a bj.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:43 am

Pagliacci wrote:It's nearly 4am here. I can't sleep. I'm just in too much pain. I really just wish someone would tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong that makes nobody want to have anything to do with me. Why is it that not a single person I know would be willing to even have a five minute conversation with me? I'm am so, so, so tired of living in a world that makes absolutely clear it doesn't want me in it.

P,
Its tough seeing someone in that kind of constant pain. I wish there was something I could do to help but we both know there really isn't. So that's tough, too. A lot of the time I let your posts pass for just that reason. That's not the same as wanting nothing to do with you. The thing I can't really convey over asynchronous text like this is that while I don't often have much to say to you, I'm always willing to listen.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:45 pm

MapWater - yeah I know the feeling. People can even with the best intentions assume you simply don't know how amazing something is since you've never tried it so they feel they have to convince you. I was the same way with people insisting I try drugs. Picture all these uber intellectual philosophising highschool/university kids who think that they are all so smart telling you over and over again, "How do you know you don't like it unless you try?" and "I like to have every experience I can have, it's the only way to truly experience life". Ugh. Kept saying no. Now in my 30s it's so much easier to shut the one or two fools who fallaciously believe that argument. And I just don't give a crap anymore. But it's exhausting having people tell you what you do and do not like. I'm sorry that happened to you here.

Also, I want to add, while I'm not as adverse to mouths as you are I'm really not fond of kissing. I can tell you, the shocked and appalled looks I get from people when I tell them that . . . they assume I must be some kind of prude or something (not that there's anything wrong with being a prude). Fortunately I've now heard enough stories of people who share my aversion that I just laugh it off now. That's the only thing I can tell you, when you get older it gets SO much easier to laugh things off.

My rant:

We need way better support for mental illness all over the world. I cannot believe there is no place a person can go to in my city for live in care. And in the States it's insanely expensive. I mean I always knew it was an issue, that we don't put enough resources into our mental health in general, but now that my family is currently dealing with it in a big way . . . I'm seriously seriously angry at the lack of options for people who aren't uber wealthy.

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:27 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:
Pagliacci wrote:It's nearly 4am here. I can't sleep. I'm just in too much pain. I really just wish someone would tell me what the hell I'm doing wrong that makes nobody want to have anything to do with me. Why is it that not a single person I know would be willing to even have a five minute conversation with me? I'm am so, so, so tired of living in a world that makes absolutely clear it doesn't want me in it.

P,
Its tough seeing someone in that kind of constant pain. I wish there was something I could do to help but we both know there really isn't. So that's tough, too. A lot of the time I let your posts pass for just that reason. That's not the same as wanting nothing to do with you. The thing I can't really convey over asynchronous text like this is that while I don't often have much to say to you, I'm always willing to listen.

Thanks, Johnny. Just to be clear, I was complaining about real life, not accusing people here on the forum of not caring.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:08 am

It's strange at this age to have your confidence completely shattered by something small, so small you're surprised it even affected you. Surprised to be sitting in the smoking wreckage of your confidence, wondering how and why you even built it in the first place, whether it was all an elaborate trick you played on yourself, and whether you're ever going to be able to figure out how to reassemble it.

But at this age I can look back and see that I've already taped it back together a few times; that it eventually felt functional again; and that if it's a trick I play on myself, it's one I want to keep playing as long as I can.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:18 am

Pagliacci wrote:Thanks, Johnny. Just to be clear, I was complaining about real life, not accusing people here on the forum of not caring.

I figured as much but I'm kind of limited in what I can do about your real life. I can at least be a little extra supportive here. Smile

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:44 am

OneTrueGuest wrote:MapWater - yeah I know the feeling. People can even with the best intentions assume you simply don't know how amazing something is since you've never tried it so they feel they have to convince you.  I was the same way with people insisting I try drugs.  Picture all these uber intellectual philosophising highschool/university kids who think that they are all so smart telling you over and over again, "How do you know you don't like it unless you try?" and "I like to have every experience I can have, it's the only way to truly experience life".  Ugh.  Kept saying no.  Now in my 30s it's so much easier to shut the one or two fools who fallaciously believe that argument.  And I just don't give a crap anymore.  But it's exhausting having people tell you what you do and do not like.  I'm sorry that happened to you here.

Also, I want to add, while I'm not as adverse to mouths as you are I'm really not fond of kissing.  I can tell you, the shocked and appalled looks I get from people when I tell them that . . . they assume I must be some kind of prude or something (not that there's anything wrong with being a prude).  Fortunately I've now heard enough stories of people who share my aversion that I just laugh it off now.  That's the only thing I can tell you, when you get older it gets SO much easier to laugh things off.

I got the drug shtick a bit in high school. But, because that was in person, I got to the point where I just told people to fuck off and shut up about it. Not very nice, but their insistence was only strengthening as my patience was weakening and one of the few things I can safely say about myself is that I am a very patient person.

It's good to know someone understand how it feels.

And, yeah, the prude assumption sucks because despite there being zero wrong with being one, I'm definitely not one. I just don't like mouths and probably won't find much to love in kissing. My first kiss isn't going to be something I think is glorious.

Oh, to be able to laugh things would be lovely sometimes. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Jan 26, 2015 12:43 pm

I'm either going to have a complete brain shutdown from lack of sleep and moodiness, or I'm going to hurt someone's feelings. Seven hours left and a short video I wish I hadn't agreed to take part in.
Why didn't I just call in sick?
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by TheRoux Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:08 pm

So twice now you came to my place, late at night, for a drink. Twice I let you go home without saying anything. And I hate myself for it. I would like to touch you but I'm afraid to. I would like to tell you how I feel, but I'm afraid to. I'm afraid of what your reaction will be. This friendship we have feels so awesome that, even though I want more, I'm afraid I'll break it should I speak. Sometimes, I'll try a little poke (figuratively), and you'll stop me in my tracks. But you still come back for more...

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:44 pm

I thought we'd all come to a general agreement that while bringing your own food or restaurant food on a plane is sometimes okay, the exception only applies if the food isn't hot and doesn't smell. A greasy personal pan pizza doesn't seem to fit that description, does it?
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:17 am

eselle28 wrote:I thought we'd all come to a general agreement that while bringing your own food or restaurant food on a plane is sometimes okay, the exception only applies if the food isn't hot and doesn't smell. A greasy personal pan pizza doesn't seem to fit that description, does it?
I'm guilty of bringing Crabfries with me when I leave PHL, so...

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 24 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum