NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Joys and Good News

+48
Datelessman
nearly_takuan
Enail
Hielario
Hirundo Bos
berrybear
DoubtfulGuest
Mara_
Amygdala
litterature
aennilla
Jayce
Caffeinated
InkAndComb
HSavinien
readertorider
lonelyoffices
JP McBride
reboundstudent
Aggrax
PintsizeBro
waxingjaney
jcorozza
V
Conreezy
sky
Olmajor
Prajnaparamita
Barretts_Salt
Robjection
Dan_Brodribb
Izmuth
BasedBuzzed
KMR
azazel
UristMcBunny
The Wisp
Lemminkainen
kleenestar
caliseivy
WJMorris3
Gentleman Johnny
Wondering
Gman
kath
eselle28
reboot
fakely mctest
52 posters

Page 1 of 35 1, 2, 3 ... 18 ... 35  Next

Go down

Joys and Good News Empty Joys and Good News

Post by Guest Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:37 am

Following on from the last forum and also trying to combat my generally negative nature, a thread to talk about the good things in life, happy stuff and positive news seems apt!

To start with, I've been promoted at work! It involves doing the same general job with more responsibility and shifting to another company. However, I work in the same place with the same people.

I've also started building a vinyl collection. I have about 12 or so albums so far, and the turntable is a Christmas gift for myself so I'll be ready for it when the time comes. I'm super excited for it.

Back to top Go down

Joys and Good News Empty Re: Joys and Good News

Post by Guest Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:29 am

Hey congrats, Progger, promotion at work is awesome! Well done you.

Recent triumph: Moved little snakey to her adult viv and got her a new climbing tree. Was a bit worried about if it would be too big for her, but she is the happiest snakelet in the WORLD. Right now she is chilling in her hide, digesting her breakfast.

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:55 am

embertine, I think the way you talk about your snake is super charming! And congrats, Progger!

I just bought a bunch of tickets for the Spooky Movie International Film Fest. I'm particularly excited to see The Babadook and Teenage Ghost Punk.

General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:21 am

To follow my rant: Wine and friends after a shit day=joy

Friend who shares your studio snoring from said wine= potential rant
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:16 am

Pet joy: For those of you who read about my cat freaking the fuck out in my new apartment, the update is that she actually loves the place the most of anywhere I've lived with her now that she's used to it. I have sliding glass doors looking out onto a yet-to-be-developed tract of land, so she spends all day silently stalking birds and chipmunks and gophers. I've gotten used to her sitting on top of the cabinets, and at her vet appointment, she'd lost a pound and a half of very excess weight.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:33 am

Joy: even though some of my work situation is a little "I've had it! Officially!", the people on my team are super ludicrously awesome. They will take conversations about program planning to hilarious extremes, they quote RuPaul's Drag Race contestants all the time (actually awesome and hilarious), they share ridiculously bad rap videos, one set up a Drop the Mic station, there is a pogo stick in our office ... they dance in the hallways and elevators, and sometimes we run around in capes made of sparkly fabric.

They are great and I love them.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:24 pm

Ohh I have a good one: I totally aced an essay I just handed in that counts towards my M.A. degree I am now begininng - by aced I mean I got a perfect score of 100 out of 100! The Lecturer Was so impressed with it that she asked me if she can send it onwards to professional people that are now debating about the topic that I wrote about! It was kind of out of the blue for me - I was sure that it will get, best case scenario a 85 to 90 out of 100, not a perfect score!

kath wrote:oy: even though some of my work situation is a little "I've had it! Officially!", the people on my team are super ludicrously awesome. They will take conversations about program planning to hilarious extremes, they quote RuPaul's Drag Race contestants all the time (actually awesome and hilarious), they share ridiculously bad rap videos, one set up a Drop the Mic station, there is a pogo stick in our office ... they dance in the hallways and elevators, and sometimes we run around in capes made of sparkly fabric.

They are great and I love them.
Now that sounds like the best workplace ever! Especially because of the pogo stick. pogo sticks are cool
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Fine, fine, I'll try this:

I entered film school fully expecting to be the "stupid one" in class, and that all of my films suck.

First showing of my short film was actually met with approval, and very strangely was used during the next class to cite examples of the principles of storytelling. So that was strange. Pretty much everything they liked about it was accidental, I had no idea what I was doing.

The most therapeutic thing I've done to calm myself down whenever I get into a depressive funk recently is play Animal Crossing for the 3DS. I've actually started dragging it around with me wherever I go, just so I can see nice happy things and pick up seashells by the seashore and shit. Downside of this is that I've been called a faggot in public by strangers for playing a "pussy-ass bitch game." Yes, apparently Nintendo games do not have much of a fanbase in the Deep South.

I'm also back in my hometown for the weekend to celebrate Yom Kippur, and will get to see the entire family tonight. So that's also nice. I'm typing this on my father's old laptop, for chrissakes. Didn't save any passwords so he can't get access to this.

I've also made some headway in developing potential feature film treatments, at least taking the mess of ideas I have and organizing them a bit. My wall at home is covered with post-it notes with little plot points and things written on them, and I need to get all that sorted out before I can actually write something. At least by the time I'm done, I'll have actual projects that I could potentially direct.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:15 am

I really like the Scottish accent. It's so wonderfully different. I say this after watching Loch Ness (1996).

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:54 pm

My baby's love for me. It is humbling. It is more than a bit scary. But it is wonderful. She hasn't yet learned, as adults do, that there are reasons to put conditions on love. Her love for and trust in me is complete and unconditional.

I hope to live up to it.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:41 pm

Good news for me - turns out I somehow managed to log into, complete and submit the wrong mock exam last week, so did the correct one today right before doing the mock for the module after it.

Good news because the wrong paper I took last week was so hard I barely passed, and it made me panic that I'd not learned my stuff as well as I thought. The real mock exam felt far more my speed. Also good because I actually quite enjoy taking tests!

Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:04 pm

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow with a new primary care provider and for the first time in my life, I have insurance to pick up the tab. Its a surprisingly tiny thing to get all excited about but it makes me feel like a real grown-up.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:18 pm

It's finally cold enough for me to wear the shawl I made last year around the house again. This thing is snuggly soft, and represents my most ambitious spinning/knitting project to date. So I am feeling like a hot, swanky stylish bitch even though I've basically got it draped over leggings and a 3/4 sleeve t-shirt!

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:59 pm

When you're having serious doubts about your chosen career path, there is nothing quite like being asked to fly out to a UNESCO meeting in Paris at a few days' notice. I don't think it'll actually happen (logistics + too good to be true) but just the sheer fact of being invited... Shocked
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:48 pm

Gman: The pogo stick does add a certain something-something. I'm on the safety committee; I'm trying to ignore it Razz

Added Work Joy:

On Tuesday I found out that my old boss, the one who hired me*, and who left a year ago (the announcement that she was leaving completely ended all work that day ... the two teams she was managing spent the rest of the day crying) IS COMING BACK. And she is going to be the VP of a new department which will now be my department! And for a while at least, she'll be my direct manager again! *dance dance dance*

(And hilariously, I had scheduled a skype chat with her that day to get advice about working with the person who was my manager until Tuesday, because she had been his direct report)

*when I took this job, I was totally changing careers. I had volunteered with the organization in a sort-of-similar capacity several years ago, but had no other experience in this field. She was one of the very first people I met at the organization and asked me to come volunteer on our team and she was the one who was going to be my manager, and that is why I felt good about taking the position.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:42 am

Looking forward to a lady friend of mine taking me out tomorrow to a rodizio joint because reasons. (I don't think this really counts as a date given she's spoken for already and there's absolutely no romantic interest here but hey, free food.)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:53 am

My niece just took her first steps on her own! (She's a little behind on her gross motor skills, so this is especially happy-making for the family.)
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:03 am

I got to see my sister, brother-in-law, and my baby nephew Saturday along with my older brother. We all sat and talked and the baby finally smiles and laughs and talks more than last time I saw him. As an added bonus, my mother and sister almost got along. WIN!
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 am

I have a job interview on Saturday!

*flails wildly with excitement*

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:19 pm

UristMcBunny wrote:I have a job interview on Saturday!

Sweet, good luck Grin
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Good luck, Bunny!
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:30 pm

Ooh! Good luck!
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:33 pm

Yes, best wishes, Bunny!
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:24 am

UristMcBunny wrote:I have a job interview on Saturday!

Whoooo, good luck! I'll have my fingers crossed on Saturday.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:38 am

*basks in the wave of luck*

Mmmmm, that's good luck.

Thanks everyone!

Back to top Go down