NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Return of the Rants

+43
Werel
Glides
Hielario
Datelessman
bomaye
Yoshiland
eselle28
Enail
HSavinien
ElizaJane
Amygdala
Conreezy
DragonEatsKnightCheckmate
Mara_
Izmuth
fakely mctest
Chickpea Sarada
Kiskadee
Barretts_Salt
waxingjaney
KitKat
BasedBuzzed
Xexyz
readertorider
CP96
jcorozza
InkAndComb
Aggrax
kath
Hirundo Bos
reboot
PintsizeBro
Caffeinated
reboundstudent
Robjection
caliseivy
nearly_takuan
sky
WJMorris3
BiSian
litterature
Wondering
Prajnaparamita
47 posters

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Go down

Return of the Rants - Page 2 Empty Re: Return of the Rants

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:19 pm

Boss asked if I had a girlfriend the other day. Manager overheard my answer. Today, Manager had some follow-up questions. Was overall supportive, but remarked "it's like you're a real person now". I understand it's a joke and general comment on how my whole life has pretty much just come together this year: license, car, job, house, health, and now Official Girlfriend. But I'm still just a tiny bit peeved.

Not least because...well, it's true. It does feel like I'm a real person now. It did feel like I wasn't before. And because I...love this person, or at least believe that I do enough to say so, I am constantly interrogating and scrutinizing my own motives. "She made me feel like a real person" is a pretty shitty motive on its own. This is not helping my efforts to focus on other aspects of our relationship.

It was just not quite the right thing to say. :/
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:42 pm

Jeez, what an insensitive and kind of douchey thing to say :/
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Oct 01, 2015 10:57 pm

I think they figured that out because they attempted to recover by saying they hadn't been single for more than a few months at a time since they were 16, and it must be kind of nice being single and so forth. Needless to say, didn't actually help either of us. Razz
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by sky Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:07 pm

Thank you, body, for the novelty of a headache that has returned every day this week and with no discernible cause. Can I now please go back to having them only rarely and for obvious reasons like crashing into things head first or staying up all night and trying to function normally the next day?
sky
sky

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:23 pm

I wish people would answer the fucking question I asked. I didn't ask, "What did you do if your baby's naptime conflicted with baby activities? Please then expand on how you imagine I'm mothering incorrectly." I asked, "When were your baby naptimes?"

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:24 am

POST REMOVED

Last edited by Pagliacci on Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Sat Oct 03, 2015 8:54 am

Last time I wore a shirt and chinos I felt really upset and sick, and it was only for 30 minutes because I changed inside the lift of the office building I was having the interview in (in fact the interview went well but I passed because I just felt like I had no energy for that sort of thing). I feel a bit lost because it seems like these sorts of clothes, or rather the roles they're attached to, are mandatory in situations which are difficult to avoid in life, and as time goes by, I'm gradually feeling less and less able to play that character and more and more repulsed by it.
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:02 am

[mod]Pagliacci, your post is directed at a site other than this one, but many people here too experience different shades of loneliness. While I appreciate that your situation is pretty painful, it would be better if you could talk about that without judgement about how other people talk about theirs.[/mod]
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:06 am

Hirundo Bos wrote:[mod]Pagliacci, your post is directed at a site other than this one, but many people here too experience different shades of loneliness. While I appreciate that your situation is pretty painful, it would be better if you could talk about that without judgement about how other people talk about theirs.[/mod]

Understood. I've removed the post.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:49 pm

Thanks.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:08 pm

>"Look at these shockingly backwards sentiments the refugees have in this selectively edited vid!"
>refugees proceed to tell us in decent English they want stay-at-home wives, are grossed out by same-sex kissing and whine that they have to wank more because they can't really bring a girl into the refugee center in decent English
How is this new? How is this different from migrant groups who already live here and Dutch natives in rural areas? It just comes across as flipping out over nothing. Honestly, we'll absorb them into society with the usual hiccups and asinine signalling games just fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:29 pm

Now that I'm a college instructor and the US is still insane, I went to look up our emergency protocols to see what I'm supposed to do with my students in case of an active shooter. I didn't expect anything extraordinarily helpful, but I also didn't expect my university to not even have emergency protocols for active shooter situations. We've got a fucking protocol for aircraft or debris falling from the sky, but not for the thing which happens far more often. Great.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:06 pm

There must be some sort of cycle in which the hatred of bad attitudes in a subculture shift to the trappings of said subculture, after which people with bad attitudes from outside the subculture latch onto the latter, and they become the new hated-upon group.

new metal style hoists slam dancers and other assorted pricks>technical level of new metal style is bashed>people who have never even given the genre a listen start to bash it and become elitist pricks>style elitist pricks like gets reputation for snobbiness>people bash anything progressive as pretentiousness>music these folks like gets reputation for pride in stupidity>and so on and so forth

It happened with nu-metal, then it was emo styles, next up is probably baby metal if that's even a genre, I just hope they leave Middle-Eastern experimental stuff alone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:15 pm

God damn it. Anti-vaccine conspiracy theory popped up in my facebook feed this morning. My friend is pregnant, and one of her friends (who I don't know) posted to her timeline some garbage about "flu is not a season" and how health is based on what you eat and also the flu shot is poisoning us and maybe the CDC and FDA are in a conspiracy against the public. Fucking hell. Mutating anti-vaccine conspiracy theory bullshit. It makes me crazy. I didn't want to start a fight with people I don't know on someone else's page, but I had to respond. I addressed the pregnant friend directly and as calmly and politely as I could manage. I'm still shaking with rage that people post that shit to try to spread new lies and thwart one of the greatest achievements in public health in human history. Fucking fucking fuckfaced asshole shithead ignorant motherfuckers.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:32 pm

Moral support to you for addressing it.

I don't engage with a lot of stuff I don't agree with on Facebook, but I will always engage with anti-vaxxers. They are a public menace.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:10 pm

Caffeinated wrote:God damn it. Anti-vaccine conspiracy theory popped up in my facebook feed this morning. My friend is pregnant, and one of her friends (who I don't know) posted to her timeline some garbage about "flu is not a season" and how health is based on what you eat and also the flu shot is poisoning us and maybe the CDC and FDA are in a conspiracy against the public. Fucking hell. Mutating anti-vaccine conspiracy theory bullshit. It makes me crazy. I didn't want to start a fight with people I don't know on someone else's page, but I had to respond. I addressed the pregnant friend directly and as calmly and politely as I could manage. I'm still shaking with rage that people post that shit to try to spread new lies and thwart one of the greatest achievements in public health in human history. Fucking fucking fuckfaced asshole shithead ignorant motherfuckers.
Return of the Rants - Page 2 UZC5fF9

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:31 pm

TW: Evil parenting and threats of rape murder

Not much shakes me up but this story on NPR about girls in El Salvador really got to me, especially the last segment.

A 13 year old girl is trying to go to the US alone because her father, a gang member in prison for murder, told her mom (his ex) if she did not give him $50,000 upon his release, he would have their daughter raped and murdered.

I fucking hate people. Robot overlords, you can take over any day now Surprised
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:05 pm

>plans for law criminalizing camming for dosh
It is like you're trying to beat England in stupid sexwork regulations, gubbermint.

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Oct 05, 2015 11:16 pm

*headdesk* sometimes I hate how facebook makes me feel even though I know it's ridiculous.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Aggrax Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:24 am

Family: Training this dog is impossible she doesn't listen or do what we say.

Me: I keep telling you, we need to use specific words and whistles to get her to understand stuff. Just like I did when I taught her to shake and hi-five

Family: lol nope, dog is unpossible.

Me: *sound of frustrate*
Aggrax
Aggrax

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Oct 06, 2015 6:35 am

Police at uni, and yes, it's arcanines again. We already had a shooting hoax 2 years ago, you twat, I hope you get v&'d without any media fanfare whatsoever.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 am

I'm going to assume Cinque Terre has changed substantially since everyone who raves about it has last visited. Hours at the hellhole train station to get a ticket, huge packs of people just off cruise ships, rain, cash only cafes filled with screaming children, and seemingly nothing else to do that doesn't involve getting wet is not my idea of fun.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:48 am

I'm FB friends with the dude who did the hoax, apparently. He's what the robots would count as a normie and an edgelord, so the arcanines are going to be very disappointed if they think he was one of their fellows.

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:34 pm

The most mundane of rants: The drain in my shower was clogged to day, or at least partially clogged... The water did drain away eventually, but not before covering most most of my bathroom floor. Made a slightly confusing start to my day, and I still have to do something about the drain. Clear out the slimy hairs of the people that lived here before me, which sounds like fun.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2015 5:23 pm

At a work event yesterday, I got asked point-blank by a co-worker if I'd ever had a girlfriend. I tried to dodge the question, but in doing so made the answer pretty obvious. Great, so now they all have one more thing to laugh at me for.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 30 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 30  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum