NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 11 Empty Re: Rants

Post by caliseivy Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:25 pm

We're in week 14 of the class. That's 14 weeks of doing these posts twice a week. Why can no one understand the teacher's orders that you can't copy/paste straight from a site, or that you must put together a post that's at least somewhat understandable since a classmate will have to respond to it?
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:41 am

I'm sure there are worse things than living in a world that doesn't want me in it, having no friends, having a family that hates me, being a joke to everyone I know and quickly becoming a joke to new people whenever I meet them. I just can't think of any...

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:46 pm

It's probably not a good sign that I'm already pretty bitter and angry at women after just a few days of radio silence on OLD.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:59 pm

When did mockery of "not like those other girls" turn from rightful criticism of femme-shaming into bashing any dudette who even slightly enjoys bro-esque things/disagrees with blunt soapboxing?

I know I should stop browsing ragebait, but how sentiments that are variations of "keep being like that, your male friends will never accept you as an equal because of your gender" are not called out for the gaslighting they are more often is beyond me.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Spiffo Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:53 pm

BasedBuzzed wrote:When did mockery of "not like those other girls"

I'm not sure what you mean, what's this?

It sounds like one of two things:

1. Dude says: "You're not like those other girls". You're into cars/sports/games, and you're cool and we can joke about whatever around you because you're not uptight. Not like those other girls, who are into shopping and nail polish. aka: the speaker is probably a sexist nerdlinger and likes it when women don't call him out

2. Lady says "I'm not like those other girls". I'm into tabletop games and video games and other nerdy stuff, and I have lots of guy friends. Not like those other girls who are dumb bimbos (why do my male friends always date dumb bimbos?). aka: a female version of the Nice Guy.

Is it one of those?
Spiffo
Spiffo

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:03 pm

The second version, though your first interpretation can also be turned from mocking gender policing 2.0 into guilting people over their preferred type.

BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:04 pm

A lot of women on OLD want a manic-pixie-dream-boy. "Oh, I'm young and I want somebody to take me on adventures".  Bullshit. Go on "adventures" yourself if you care so much.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:06 am

How I feel when "okay, I'll do this one, I think I can finish it off in an evening's worth of work" turns into "I didn't like some of the composition and story, so I wiped out a bunch and added others and now it's at least two days worth of work."

Rants - Page 11 Tumblr_mbcjs1lHca1rqe7y6

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:04 am

I always get the impression that there's supposed to be something empowering, encouraging, or liberating about the idea that "if someone doesn't want you because X, you don't want them either!"

But I don't see it at all.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:34 am

I don't get why guys' go-to reaction if they don't get a good result on online dating is to switch straight over into the woman-blaming.  I've been on OKC since the beginning of the year and been online dating generally for YEARS before that, and I have never had gorgeous, successful, well-adjusted men lining up to contact me.  I've had a relationship (with a woman), a hookup and probably five dates in, what, eight years?  And yet oddly, I manage not to write screeds about how bitter and lonely it's making me and how it's all these bastards' fault for not giving me what I want.  It just reeks of misogynistic entitlement.

[edited by fakely to remove passive aggressive snipe]

Back to top Go down

Post by celette482 Mon Nov 24, 2014 10:36 am

Dog, stop trying to play with cats. Cats, stop eating dog's food and also antagonizing her. Humans, GET BACK HERE AS SOON AS POSSIBLE SO I AM NO LONGER LEFT IN THE INSANE ASYLUM

Sendhelptheanimalsaretakingover

(my dad, brother, and husband are moving our furniture to our new apartment in a new city in a new state and I am at my parents' little cabin alone with our cats and brother's dog. It's... a toss up who's having more fun, but I'd rather be moving personally)
celette482
celette482

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:40 pm

[edited by fakely because that escalated quickly]

Back to top Go down

Post by fakely mctest Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:43 pm

[mod]Hey, embertine, I totally get your online dating frustrations but the oblique reference to things said elsewhere on this site isn't cool. Please consider editing that bit out. Thanks![/mod]
fakely mctest
fakely mctest
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Goddamn it, ProTools will be the death of me. >:I

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:56 pm

my husband is on a business trip for two days and since he normally doesn't travel, I'm all Sad.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:12 pm

Approximately everyone in the universe has seen your movies, Marvel. Can you get your toy licensees on board with that?

Rants - Page 11 Ogrwogstxcchhxh3n7w6
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:45 pm

I'm missing something, Eselle. Why would Marvel toys only be for boys? That makes about as much sense as Frozen things being only for girls.
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:50 pm

WJMorris3 wrote:I'm missing something, Eselle. Why would Marvel toys only be for boys? That makes about as much sense as Frozen things being only for girls.

Because gender stereotyping says superheroes are for boys. I don't like it period, but it's especially annoying when it involves intellectual property that's widely popular and appealing to both genders.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:15 am

Okay, upstairs neighbors, can we come to a bargain? Either 8:00 in the morning dubstep or 9:00 in the evening weightlifting sessions. But maybe not both, especially not on the same day? That's a lot of thumping for one ceiling.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Lemminkainen Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:41 am

The verdict from the Mike Brown grand jury deeply frustrates me. I feel like the US has made its police officers into a class of people who can use excessive violence arbitrarily with basically zero accountability, and that people like Brown are paying the price for it.

Lemminkainen

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:16 am

Lemminkainen wrote:The verdict from the Mike Brown grand jury deeply frustrates me.  I feel like the US has made its police officers into a class of people who can use excessive violence arbitrarily with basically zero accountability, and that people like Brown are paying the price for it.
I don't believe I'm qualified to speak on whether Ofc. Wilson should or should not have been indicted. After all, only he knows what he saw.

What I am convinced of is that we should be putting more cameras on police officers so that we know the truth.
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:53 am

WJMorris3 wrote:
Lemminkainen wrote:The verdict from the Mike Brown grand jury deeply frustrates me.  I feel like the US has made its police officers into a class of people who can use excessive violence arbitrarily with basically zero accountability, and that people like Brown are paying the price for it.
I don't believe I'm qualified to speak on whether Ofc. Wilson should or should not have been indicted. After all, only he knows what he saw.

What I am convinced of is that we should be putting more cameras on police officers so that we know the truth.

And should break the police unions while we're at it, as they're main opposition to such matters.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:53 am

Agreed. I don't even know where to start when it comes to fixing it, and of all people I should have some ideas.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:50 am

kath wrote:my husband is on a business trip for two days and since he normally doesn't travel, I'm all Sad.

Aww, hugs for kath! :3 Well, unless you have a kitty or something, in which case hug that. Razz No, I'm joking, I hope you feel better.

WJMorris3 wrote:I'm missing something, Eselle. Why would Marvel toys only be for boys? That makes about as much sense as Frozen things being only for girls.

That's her point, *why* should Marvel toys be for *only* boys?

eselle28 wrote:

Agreed. I don't even know where to start when it comes to fixing it, and of all people I should have some ideas.

"[. . .] in certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No, not vengeance. Punishment." - Frank 'The Punisher' Castle

And that's all I gotta say about that. Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:06 am

The Michael Brown case has proved one thing at least: it's officially legal to kill black people.

Even so, this is some serious horseshit. Dude confesses to murder and isn't charged with anything? What the fuck kind of country is this?

I'm just sick of all this police and military worship, man.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum