NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 21 Empty Re: Rants

Post by The Wisp Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

Something about the internet brings out the inner high schooler in so many adults.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by kath Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:55 am

I wish when I practice something high on my own it's doable, that that actually translated to singing it chorally.
kath
kath

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:38 pm

I find a lot of articles dealing with nerd culture patronising as hell with the constant need to reference pop culture.

I get it. You're a nerd too. I don't need a Star Wars reference I've heard hundreds of times before to believe that or understand what point you're trying to make. I'm not that disconnected from reality, crazy as that may seem.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 pm

It just keeps raining receipts, and you seem to be my sort of tribe back then(although you probably would have roasted me thoroughly if I failed to be in the incrowd). I hope five or so years down the line I haven't 'matured' from Bart into Lisa, cos I'd rather be the happier former of those two forms of teen behaviour.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:21 pm

Sometimes I think we as a culture should start viewing psychological conditions that severely hinder social ability like (severe) social anxiety or major attachment issues as social disabilities, albeit often treatable in the long term.

When we complain, we're called entitled and told to man up and work on our issues. Even my own therapist called me 'privileged' for complaining that my peers don't seem to go out of their way to reach out to people outside their established circles (fwiw, she clarified that and it wasn't as harsh as I make it sound, but still).
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:24 am

Is wanting to find love too much too ask for?

Apparently.

Might also be the booze talkin. Or it may also be my goddamn frustration talkin' AND the booze talking. I don't know I'm tired; why couldn't I have been born an elephant or a dinosaur? Why is this sooo ugh?

If I'm an asshole... just tell me.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:22 pm

"Standardized online IDs will solve internet harassment problems."

I hate this argument. An e-mob doesn't need criminally prosecutable threats to emotionally abuse you. Heck, they could only be giving criticism with all the swearwords and hyperbole removed and you'd still get a collective gaslighting effect going on.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Jan 04, 2015 3:38 pm

Reason 4308 that getting older sometimes sucks: recovery from jet lag takes more than one day
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:04 pm

The only nice thing about my tiny shitty apartment was the mango trees out front. They provided shade, blocked a lot of the sounds and smells of the neighborhood, and made the view out the front windows a nice swath of green instead of the rundown building filled with shirtless old drunks across the way.

Came home from Christmas to find them mutilated mostly to death, with 90% of the branches gone. Now this apartment is somehow even smellier, louder, and uglier. Bonus: all those old drunks can see right into our apartment. God, I wish I could afford to move.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:18 pm

Werel wrote:The only nice thing about my tiny shitty apartment was the mango trees out front. They provided shade, blocked a lot of the sounds and smells of the neighborhood, and made the view out the front windows a nice swath of green instead of the rundown building filled with shirtless old drunks across the way.

Came home from Christmas to find them mutilated mostly to death, with 90% of the branches gone. Now this apartment is somehow even smellier, louder, and uglier. Bonus: all those old drunks can see right into our apartment. God, I wish I could afford to move.

Noooo. Sad Why the tree? Well, at least you can put up curtains or blinds?

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:38 pm

The Mikey wrote:
Noooo. Sad Why the tree? Well, at least you can put up curtains or blinds?

I have no idea why anybody would do that. I'm guessing my cheap-ass landlady might have hired one of the old drunks to trim the trees and he just forgot to stop trimming. Similar things have happened before.

Yeah, it's gonna be curtains closed all the time now, which is awesome for airflow in the tropics.  Disapproving
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:47 pm

reboot wrote:Reason 4308 that getting older sometimes sucks: recovery from jet lag takes more than one day

I guess I'm old at heart then, because it took me almost a week to recover from jet lag when I returned from Italy Razz
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:05 pm

Werel wrote:
I have no idea why anybody would do that. I'm guessing my cheap-ass landlady might have hired one of the old drunks to trim the trees and he just forgot to stop trimming. Similar things have happened before.

Yeah, it's gonna be curtains closed all the time now, which is awesome for airflow in the tropics.  Disapproving

Having been close to the tropics, yeah, I feel ya. Humidity suuuucks.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Okay fellow drivers, for those of you who are new to the area, that stuff that's blowing around in the air is called snow. When it blows around a lot, as it's doing now, it tends to reduce visibility. If it blows just a bit harder, we might even call it a "blizzard," which is not quite as delicious in real life as it is when it comes from Dairy Queen. Given that we're approaching blizzard conditions, it might be a good idea to slow down a tad and to turn your headlights on, particularly those of you who are driving white or gray subcompact cars.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:39 pm

It is part of a villain's nature that they choose wrong. They are architects of their own demise. If Voldemort had not marked Harry, the Prophecy would refer to no one; if he had not used the Elder Wand, he would not have been killed; if he had at any point chosen to repent, he would not have been cursed. A villain is always given a chance to be better, a choice to turn from Evil, and the villain always chooses wrong. The moment they don't, they stop being a villain. Anakin throws the bad guy down a shaft: happy ending, good guy afterlife. Go Team Regina.

What wouldn't I do for that kind of choice? A single moment in my own personal history that I could point to and say, there, that's when I could have made a different choice, and my entire life would be different.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:44 pm

<mod> Thanks, Werel, for moving the discussion of the DNL Prime article to a new thread.

Just a general reminder that the rant thread is intended for people to be able to have a quick vent without generating discussion, and as such, it's not the right place to raise issues that you know are likely to be controversial or discussion-provoking on this site. Given the crossover between commenters on DNL Prime and this forum, that includes expressing disagreement with discussions going on on DNL Prime. Of course, it's fine to make those sorts of comments, but start a new thread for them, please! </mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Jan 05, 2015 8:49 pm

I've split the discussion on today's Prime post & associated posts about Scott Aaronson; new thread is here.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:41 pm

Today's DNL prime post is making me upset again. Not so much the post as the negative reaction people have to it. And the complete erasure of women nerds from the equation. Also watching people dismiss the lived experience of women in favour of some un-cited statistics . . . once again feeling so unliked and so disbelieved. I feel sometimes I spend so much energy just trying to convince people I'm telling the truth. And ironically everyone out there claims all they want is honesty. I'm tired of people doubting my knowledge, my experience, my intelligence.

Sigh. Anyway. Maybe I'm just also tired in general.

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:16 am

Getting sick while pregnant sucks. I was already uncomfortable enough, universe. I did not need to add a hacking cough and a throat that's been attacked with a cheese grater.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:21 am

<mod> Hey OTG, please see my mod note above. I'd like everyone to try and keep the Rants thread for one-shot comments a bit more, so it's not a great place to express frustrations about DNL Prime articles or responses to them, since they're likely to promote more discussion.  </mod>

On a less modly note, is it just me, or is everyone feeling pretty worn out today? I'm going to go hang out in a cute animal gifs thread, if anyone wants to join me.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:27 am

It's not just you, Enail.

My mum got admitted to hospital two nights back (suspected gallstones, all better now but that pain - fuck) and it freaked the shit out of me.

Factoring in that, my anaemia and the fact I never slept when she was admitted and had work at 5am the next morning I'll be running on nil until the weekend. Ugh.

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:29 am

Oh sorry enail!  I saw the note but thought I was ranting correctly.  I didn't want anyone to comment, just wanted to vent, and it's been on my mind all day and that was all.  I've been contributing to the actual thread on the subject as well, so I knew that this was not meant to incite conversation.  I apologise though, I really thought I was doing it right  Neutral  .

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:43 am

I think my brain is still stuck somewhere over the Pacific. I miss the days when one night sleep was all I needed to be unjetlagged
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:48 am

No worries, OTG! I guess I wasn't clear enough. Since any rant about DNL Prime has a good chance of at least somewhat commenting on fellow forum members, and thus either starting a discussion or putting people in a position where they feel like they're being talked about but can't respond, I generally think it best to steer clear of those sorts of comments in the Rants thread.

Mapwater, that sounds really stressful. Glad your mom's okay (gallstones sound frighteningly painful!), and hope you get some rest soon!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by OneTrueGuest Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:50 am

Fair enough, and quite wise! Apologies again! Smile

How about another vent:

SO not hitting my writing wordcount for today. I feel like this book is NEVER getting done. I WANT IT DONE!!!

(I really want it done)

OneTrueGuest

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum