NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+51
Enail
Suika
dustyteal
readertorider
trooper6
PintsizeBro
Raindancing
Prajnaparamita
Gman
TheRoux
BasedBuzzed
LadyIkaros
Caffeinated
KMR
OneTrueGuest
Coin-op Adjutant
Spiffo
WJMorris3
kath
username_6916
kleenestar
Izmuth
Kaz
reboot
SadisticToaster
Barretts_Salt
Hirundo Bos
Jayce
Xexyz
nonA
BiSian
celette482
Robjection
azazel
Conreezy
Werel
sky
Mel
nearly_takuan
Wondering
caliseivy
waxingjaney
Lemminkainen
reboundstudent
IntelligentDice
Gentleman Johnny
Gamerz
UristMcBunny
concentus
eselle28
fakely mctest
55 posters

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 30 Empty Re: Rants

Post by UristMcBunny Sat Feb 21, 2015 1:18 pm

Sigh.

I am really excited by Jupiter Ascending. REALLY excited. It looks like a really fun, campy space movie and it's just my sort of thing.

There is only 1 cinema in Kent I can physically get to that is showing it. The cinema has 1 showing per day of this particular movie, at 21:40 in the evening.

Last week I was making plans to go with friends, including a friend who would drive everyone, but that sadly fell through when said friends failed to get back to me about plans (except for a text sent that Saturday evening which I didn't see because - as I've told them all many times - mobile is the least reliable way to get in touch with us).

This week I was determined to make it happen.

Turns out the one cinema showing it is also almost 2 miles from the train station, so we'd need to get a train and then a bus on top of that.

Turns out the trains and buses and movie times do not sync up well, so we'd be leaving home at 7pm and waiting around at the cinema for almost an hour for it to start.

Turns out there are only two trains back after the movie ends (and I have to GUESS the end time at the cinema since I cannot get through to a human being on their phone line to ask and the stated run-time of the movie obviously won't include whatever length of time they dedicate to adverts).

Turns out in order to make the last train back before EIGHT FUCKING AM we'd need to get a taxi to and from the station rather than a bus. And even that is going to cut it close.

It's like the entire universe is conspiring against me to stop me from getting to see a simple movie and, since I am hormonal as fuck right now, it's upsetting me more than it normally would. Meanwhile, of course, every single cinema in the county is showing like 8 screenings of fucking 50 shades of intimate partner abuse per day.
UristMcBunny
UristMcBunny
Moderator of "Romantic and Sexual Relationships"

http://uristmcdorf.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Your registration system is BS, Comic-Con. :I

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:39 am

Why is it toxic for a guy to uncharitably view dating behaviors of women as tactics to suck you into things you don't want or to manipulate you, but totally cool for a woman to uncharitably assume guys' behaviors are manipulative tactics?

EDIT: Also, totally jealous of the guys whose brooding makes them attractive, mysterious, and cool. My brooding (which I did way more of in the past, thank goodness) makes people either ignore me or be slightly weirded out and avoid me.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Sun Feb 22, 2015 6:38 am

What sort of behaviours are you talking about there, Wisp?
UristMcBunny
UristMcBunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:07 am

<mod> Wisp, a topic that is so closely related to a great many discussions we have on this site, many of them quite heated, is not something you can just drop a vague complaint about and leave without expecting response, which means it should not be in the rants section . You have been posting quite a few things in Rants which aren't appropriate there lately. Please be a bit more careful to not post things that you could reasonably expect to garner discussion in the Rants thread.

This goes for everyone. The rants thread is for general or personal, uncomplicated venting, not long discussions, controversial statements or ones about this site. If you've seen the topic spark a fair bit of discussion and controversy in the past, or if you could reasonably expect it to do so if it had its own thread, it does not belong in Rants. <mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Sorry about that, I'll start up a thread for it.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:46 pm

I hate myself now, and I'm ready to just give up and quit again. I don't know why I thought I could do this to begin with; I should have stopped long ago when I was already having serious doubts about my ability to handle this work.
Another good idea down the hole. Now I'm back where I started with no idea where to go from here and even more despair.

[Note: Not at risk for self-harm, just really bummed-out]
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Feb 23, 2015 2:55 pm

Sorry you're going through that, Calisevy, and hope you can figure things out in a way that works for you soon.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Feb 24, 2015 1:35 pm

Printer issues on the morning an essay is due are stressful. Thankfully it would out, though not withoit some mutual bitching between my mother and I.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:43 pm

*headdesk* I guess he thinks women poop out babies

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/293718211.html
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:15 pm

Three-quarters of the time someone complains about medium x not doing enough to counter trolls, the only solution at the end of the piece are vague items about awareness raising and corporate responsibility, while 5 minutes in Google will net up a keyword/fresh account/image blocker add-on for nearly any browser/platform. Not a definitive solution, but a stopgap measure. Why not put it in there?
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:18 pm

reboot wrote:*headdesk* I guess he thinks women poop out babies

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/health/293718211.html

That was a "rhetorical question", yes... right.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:45 pm

That moment when a person in your women's studies class says something ridiculously simplified that shows they don't get it, and then uses black people's fight for civil rights as a comparison that's equally as woefully incorrect Suspect
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:44 pm

Worst thing about swimming: water in your ears. Just come out already!
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:51 pm

Yes, the price of oil is down. Yes, asking some of the better-paid folks to take a small salary cut is a more ethical response than furloughing newer, generally lower-paid ones. Yes, I can absolutely be kind and gracious about it. That doesn't mean I'm happy about it, though.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:02 am

When your enemies come to town and you're like

Rants - Page 30 KuFq5Nw
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:47 pm

I have my third essay (all three from separate classes) due this week due tomorrow, but I'm feeling burned out and out of ideas after writing the first two earlier this week.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:57 pm

The Wisp wrote:I have my third essay (all three from separate classes) due this week due tomorrow, but I'm feeling burned out and out of ideas after writing the first two earlier this week.

Oh, ouch! I always liked essay-based classes in school, but three in one week makes my brain hurt just imagining it.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:50 pm

eselle28 wrote:

Oh, ouch! I always liked essay-based classes in school, but three in one week makes my brain hurt just imagining it.

I like Essay based classes too, but I didn't sign up for this! Razz

Also, while the previous two were philosophy papers, and so I was in my element, this is a drama analysis, where I'm not in my element. Ugh. I should probably start it now.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:17 am

It's times like these that I wish my anxiety issues didn't prevent me from drinking caffeinated drinks.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Feb 27, 2015 9:26 am

The Wisp wrote:It's times like these that I wish my anxiety issues didn't prevent me from drinking caffeinated drinks.

Oof. Sad  I know your feels. I can't even consume green tea without feeling like I'm going into cardiac arrest. No I'm super sorry to hear it's dragging you down right now. I hope you made it through your crunch night okay! Smile
Prajnaparamita
Prajnaparamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:15 am

Werel wrote:When your enemies come to town and you're like

Rants - Page 30 KuFq5Nw

Very nice gif. And good reason not to be your enemy.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Not a rant, exactly... but Leonard Nimoy just died, so I'm a bit sad. The world is less awesome now that he's no longer in it.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:41 pm

Oh noooooooo fuck.... Learned it from you, PintsizeBro. A poorer world indeed. Sad
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by UristMcBunny Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:53 pm

So neither me nor the mister will be kept on at the current job past the temp contract end date. Which is fair enough, that's how temp positions roll. But we were told at the start that they were going to keep 2 of the 4 temps on as permanent staff at the end of that period, and it's now clear that was never actually true.

Which sucks. Because we'd both worked so hard and made ourselves such massive assets to the company that even all our co-workers were convinced we'd be staying on.

They had the decency to give us plenty of notice - contract ends end of March - but I was foolishly hopeful we'd actually be able to have a reliable income for once and be able to start saving for the wedding.
UristMcBunny
UristMcBunny

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 30 of 40 Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum