NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

+25
litterature
PintsizeBro
reboundstudent
V
Hirundo Bos
The Wisp
kath
TheRoux
KMR
eselle28
Enail
trooper6
Jayce
reboot
Wondering
Robjection
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
Caffeinated
nearly_takuan
caliseivy
InkAndComb
BasedBuzzed
Werel
fakely mctest
29 posters

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 3 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Gentleman Johnny Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Have you considered replacing it yourself? Garbage disposals generally aren't that tricky since they're at the end of the line.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 3 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by caliseivy Tue Mar 24, 2015 2:02 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:Have you considered replacing it yourself? Garbage disposals generally aren't that tricky since they're at the end of the line.

I suspect I would give my grandfather a heart attack if he saw me trying to fix it...And I'd probably break the sink.
I was considering going professional because the last time a "handyman" family member tried to fix it, I think they just made it worse. Definitely didn't fix it.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:50 pm

OK, I've got another question I'd like to put to you guys.

First, a YouTube video:

My question concerns what is said at around the 2:38 mark. The "Oh no he didn't!" bit.

How does one write the way of saying that phrase that was used in the video?

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Fri Mar 27, 2015 10:28 pm

What, skipping the second 'd'? Oh no he di'n't?
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:12 pm

That makes sense waxingjaney, but it still looks kinda weird having two apostrophes in the same word.

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:45 pm

Contractions are just dropped letters. You can strew the apostrophes around wherever you like. Read older literature where the author tried to spell out hackneyed accents, and some sentences verge on gibberish.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2015 3:03 am

Is there a female equivalent to saying, "Good Man!"?

I'm guessing there isn't.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Sun May 31, 2015 3:50 am

Is that Furiosa in your profile pic, Hermit?

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 31, 2015 5:10 am

Gentleman Johnny wrote:Is that Furiosa in your profile pic, Hermit?

Yep.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:13 pm

So, mostly out of curiosity, what are the limits of client-therapist confidentiality? I don't ask for myself, I've always trusted my own therapists in this regard, and all of mine have taken a fairly strict interpretation of the confidentiality.

However, I have heard on a few occasions professional therapists in various media (usually written, one on a podcast) describe some their patients and their issues if it was relevant. They didn't give names, where the patient lived, and so on, so it would be practically impossible to identify the client based on that. Still, this is sensitive information. To use one example, I heard a therapist go on podcast I used to listen to a few years ago, describe some sexual issues a client was having, and in a somewhat judgey tone, I might add. Like I said, the person would have been impossible to identify based on this information, no name, no other significant life details, etc. Still, I feel like this would be a breach of what all the therapists I've had have meant when they described confidentiality to me, and I'd be pissed if a therapist of mine ever did that.

So, does that violate the confidentiality contract one signs with a therapist?
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:39 pm

There's a few things that regulate confidentiality. There are some specific situations where a therapist must disclose information, though none of them are likely to come up in the media you read. There are also HIPAA concerns, though HIPAA doesn't apply to all therapists and is mostly concerned with protecting identifiable information.

I'm seeing this in the APA's ethics code:

4.07 Use of Confidential Information for Didactic or Other Purposes
Psychologists do not disclose in their writings, lectures or other public media, confidential, personally identifiable information concerning their clients/patients, students, research participants, organizational clients or other recipients of their services that they obtained during the course of their work, unless (1) they take reasonable steps to disguise the person or organization, (2) the person or organization has consented in writing, or (3) there is legal authorization for doing so.

So it sounds like it's within ethical boundaries as long as the person isn't identifiable. That being said, I sometimes find those discussions troubling, especially when they're in media that's primarily meant as entertainment rather than in class lectures or textbooks. I was particularly annoyed with Gawker's short-lived Confessions of a Therapist column, where the anonymous therapist mentioned [patient who'd done something very unusual sexually] and [patient who had a somewhat uncommon profession plus a somewhat unusual life event]. Those people would have at least been identifiable to themselves, and I suspect also to people who knew them well. Of course, maybe those details were changed, but it was an uncomfortable read.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:19 am

What's the protocol for handling emotional triggers?

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:37 am

HermitTheToad wrote:What's the protocol for handling emotional triggers?

This is advice for PTSD triggers. Emotional ones should be similar
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm in my tiny little cabin, and I've been having a tiny little guest. A couple of nights now I've heard some noises over by the window, and when I turn on the flashlight, I see a little mouse on the table... and it doesn't bother me that it's there... actually, it's so cute I have to restrain myself from giving it a name and leaving out small bits of cheese.

But I'm still wondering if 1) it could be a health issue, in some serious way, to have a mouse run around where you live, and if that's the case, 2) are there any way to encourage it to be somewhere else, that doesn't include harming it?
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Hirundo Bos wrote:I'm in my tiny little cabin, and I've been having a tiny little guest. A couple of nights now I've heard some noises over by the window, and when I turn on the flashlight, I see a little mouse on the table... and it doesn't bother me that it's there... actually, it's so cute I have to restrain myself from giving it a name and leaving out small bits of cheese.

But I'm still wondering if 1) it could be a health issue, in some serious way, to have a mouse run around where you live, and if that's the case, 2) are there any way to encourage it to be somewhere else, that doesn't include harming it?

If you want to get rid of it without killing it, there are little cages you can buy where you place food inside of them, and when the mouse walks in the mechanism triggers the door to close. Then you could release it into some open space somewhere.

The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:55 pm

Hirundo Bos wrote:I'm in my tiny little cabin, and I've been having a tiny little guest. A couple of nights now I've heard some noises over by the window, and when I turn on the flashlight, I see a little mouse on the table... and it doesn't bother me that it's there... actually, it's so cute I have to restrain myself from giving it a name and leaving out small bits of cheese.

As for the health issue question, there is hantavirus, which can be serious in humans and rodents are the carriers.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:38 pm

Caffeinated wrote:

As for the health issue question, there is hantavirus, which can be serious in humans and rodents are the carriers.

But hanta is super low risk. It is likely not the species that carries hanta as they only like wilderness environments
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:13 am

Oh, that cage sounds nice. How far away do I have to go so it doesn't just come right back? It seems to be a bit attached to the place...

Also, anyone know if this hantavirus (that sounds nasty) is higher or lower risk here in Scandinavia?

Also some joke about a cat giving me advice on mice.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:20 pm

If you take it away, fill in any holes and cracks you can find with steel wool to keep it out.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hirundo Bos Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:14 am

So now I now what the humane traps looks like.

Added, 10 minutes later: And now I even got the joke.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:51 am

Hmm, in a kink context if somebody says they want to "cuckold" as a verb, that means they want to play the role of the "unfaithful" person while their partner pretends to be disappointed, right? Found the Wikipedia page but I'm not sure if I read that correctly.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:10 pm

Generally yes. This is also a very gender-specific kink, so if it's a woman using the word, it's very likely meant the way you're interpreting it.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:27 pm

Oh, cool. Tally one more point of anecdotal evidence for "polarizing traits can make you more attractive to certain people", then. Smile
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:26 pm

Does anyone have any experience retrofitting, or having retrofitting done by others, on a house for earthquake precautions?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:16 pm

Going to Kyoto in a few weeks. Anybody got recommendations for must-see/do things there? I've got 3-4 days where I won't be conferencing, but all that's on my list right now is 1) Nara temple deer 2) owl cafe 3) one of those pedicures where fish nibble your feet 4) other temples but I dunno which ones. Also have a couple days in Osaka, if anyone knows of fun stuff there.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum