NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

+25
litterature
PintsizeBro
reboundstudent
V
Hirundo Bos
The Wisp
kath
TheRoux
KMR
eselle28
Enail
trooper6
Jayce
reboot
Wondering
Robjection
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
Caffeinated
nearly_takuan
caliseivy
InkAndComb
BasedBuzzed
Werel
fakely mctest
29 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 4 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Enail Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:51 pm

If you can, splurge for a kaiseki meal. A gazillion perfect, tiny little dishes presented beautifully, it's an experience as much as a food!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

LMGTFY: Random questions thread! - Page 4 Empty Re: LMGTFY: Random questions thread!

Post by Guest Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 am

So, I'm using a laptop and have noticed that sometimes the mouse-pointer-thingy doesn't accurately track my finger movements on the touchpad. Kinda like when you work on a touch-screen with a wet finger.

Could it be some kind of grease on my fingertips/ a hardware dysfunction?

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:57 pm

What's a good homemade remedy for a rash (possibly heat rash)? I think there's oatmeal here, but I'm at a loss for solutions.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by V Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:16 pm

Werel, hi, I'm late to answer your  query about Japan.  I had trouble posting.  I actually live in the Kansai area.  I am happy to offer any suggestions or answer questions.

Kyoto is a stunning place.  There are some amazing temples particularly Kiyomizu and Kinkajuji.  Also Arashiyama is a beautiful town in Kyoto prefecture not so far from Kyoto city.

Nara is very beautiful too.

I guess it depends what you are interested in.  Temples, bars, museums, shopping, castles, architecture, hot springs, maid cafes etc.

As I say I am a (transplanted) local (well in the general region) and I am happy to answer questions.  So if you like please post here or PM me (I've never done the PM thing on this site but I'm sure I can manage it.)

V.

V

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:00 pm

Awesome, V! Thanks.

Gonna be with an American friend in Osaka and we were thinking of getting dolled up and going to a host club. (Cause one, when the heck else will I have that experience, and two, this movie got me interested). Got any recommendations? Tips for first-timers? Razz

I'm interested in temples (going to take a day trip to Nara for SURE), so I'll check out the two you mentioned. I'd also love to see some contemporary art and/or anything that could be described as "weird." Public art installations? And obviously food: I like it and I don't have much money. Best cheap eats, especially in Kyoto, would be a great thing to know.

edit: and Enail, gonna spring for a kaiseki meal for sure. That looks amazing.

Last edited by Werel on Mon Aug 03, 2015 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spellin)
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:10 pm

Would you ever have a one-night stand in exchange for a large sum of money, with the guarantee you wouldn't be asked to do anything illegal, dangerous and anything you didn't want to do?

Is there a certain amount of money that would tempt you? (You wouldn't for 1 million but would for 10 million)

Would you view someone who did take up the offer as less moral or having less character?

(For context, the boy and I were binge-watching Mad Men and were debating Joan's decision. I admit that for a certain amount of money, I'd probably do it, and the boy finds such a decision inscrutable.)
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:25 pm

I would certainly consider it, and probably do it unless my wife objected.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:45 pm

Pffft, no. If you have to pay or accept a bribe to do something, is it anything that should be done?
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:48 pm

I do many things for pay that I wouldn't do for free. Something that harms no one, violates none of my morals and is done with fairly quickly seems like a pretty good tradeoff for a life-changing amount of money.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:35 pm

$50 million for this ass. Take it or leave it.

reboundstudent wrote:Would you view someone who did take up the offer as less moral or having less character?
I'd probably make that judgement out of reflex. Then again, like Enail, if you consider the cost-benefit angle of things it does make the decision seem more practical and palatable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:43 pm

Half a mil (ten years of comfy living) plus partner's permission and I'm there. Not a tough choice at all.

Edit: although if it were someone I actively disliked rather than a neutral-to-okay stranger, the amount would either have to be in the multiple millions and/or maybe not at all.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:49 pm

Nothing illegal or dangerous? So it's consensual. "Nothing I don't want to do" is trivially (though not vacuously) true, since if I didn't want to do it I wouldn't be doing it.

So, yeah, definitely would for a lot of money. Probably would for five dollars. (It's consensual.)

How I judge someone else for doing the same exact thing depends heavily on context. Have they made promises of commitment to other people? Have they previously judged other people for any form of sexual activity? Is it possible they just really really need the money?
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:56 pm

When I was single, the answer would be I'd have a one night stand with a single adult of my preferred gender for free, or at most for the price of enjoying a meal and some conversation together. If it were a single adult of my non-preferred gender, if I considered them somewhat attractive, I suppose I could be persuaded for anything at or over four figures. If it were a married person, I can't think of a sum I'd accept as a bribe, but I could be extorted into it.

As a married person, I could be extorted into it but not bribed.

Edited to add: I wouldn't judge someone else for taking the offer.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:51 pm

I wouldn't. The only situations I can imagine this happening are unappealing because, of course, any situation where I found them attractive and wanted to have sex with them would be ones where the person wouldn't feel the need to offer to pay. I can only imagine somebody doing this is somebody I don't find attractive and probably who is much older than me who is doing it out of either extreme desperation, or out of getting off from the power play aspects of it. Either way I'd feel gross at the end.

I wouldn't judge somebody else for doing it (barring some other context that changes the moral calculus). There are slight variations that I would consider unethical and judgment worthy. For instance, a one-night stand for a job or a promotion, for good grades, or for controlling stake in a company all seem unethical to me.

caffeinated wrote: I'd have a one night stand with a single adult of my preferred gender for free, or at most for the price of enjoying a meal and some conversation together.

What if they were an unattractive (by whatever standards you have) member of your preferred gender.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:54 pm

The Wisp wrote:
caffeinated wrote: I'd have a one night stand with a single adult of my preferred gender for free, or at most for the price of enjoying a meal and some conversation together.

What if they were an unattractive (by whatever standards you have) member of your preferred gender.

Hmm, interesting question. It depends on what made them unattractive. Generally speaking, I'm pretty adept at finding something attractive about someone. But let's see...

If they were unattractive because I saw them do something that was morally untenable (abuse a child or animal, stalk a former partner, attend a klan rally, that kind of thing, something beyond the pale), then it would be a hard no, no amount would suffice. If they were unattractive because they treated me with contempt (or expressed contempt for a category to which I belong, even if it were accompanied by a "present company excluded"), also a hard no. In that instance, accepting money could only lead to further contempt.

If they were unattractive because they smelled bad to me, it would be a conditional no. If the problem got fixed, then ok, but if it was purely a matter of incompatible scent chemistry, then no. No amount. But apologetically no.

If they were unattractive because of looks, well, it would be because they did it to themself -- because the one look I absolutely cannot abide is the ear gauges/stretched out earlobes thing.

For other values of less visually appealing but a decent person, I'd tend to revert to all cats are grey in the dark.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:10 am

reboundstudent wrote:Would you ever have a one-night stand in exchange for a large sum of money, with the guarantee you wouldn't be asked to do anything illegal, dangerous and anything you didn't want to do?

Is there a certain amount of money that would tempt you? (You wouldn't for 1 million but would for 10 million)

Now that I'm married, no, I would not. Before I was married, maybe, if it was a high amount of money and depending on the person and other situational factors.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:07 am

reboundstudent wrote:Would you ever have a one-night stand in exchange for a large sum of money, with the guarantee you wouldn't be asked to do anything illegal, dangerous and anything you didn't want to do?

In a second, assuming reasonable safer sex measures and that the other person has an interest in keeping the encounter private. That being said, it would need to be a life-changing amount of money. For me, that would be somewhere around $50,000. That would pay off the last of my student loans and allow me to relocate to the metro area of my choice with a frugal year's worth of income if I couldn't find a job immediately. Somehow I suspect I'll never need to worry about receiving such an offer!

reboundstudent wrote:Would you view someone who did take up the offer as less moral or having less character?

If that's the only thing to judge about the situation, then no. If the person involved was being unfaithful to a monogamous partner or was a politician who was notoriously judgmental about anything related to sex, I'd judge them for being a cheater or a hypocrite.

reboundstudent wrote:(For context, the boy and I were binge-watching Mad Men and were debating Joan's decision. I admit that for a certain amount of money, I'd probably do it, and the boy finds such a decision inscrutable.)

I felt a lot of sympathy for Joan in that situation. I think it's worth noting that Joan wasn't able to make her decision privately and free of pressure - many people knew about the offer and had a stake in her accepting it. I feel that makes the decision a little different, in a troubling way.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:37 am

If we could both get STD tested and condoms were used, I would do it for $50 million, mostly because I am of the "go big or go home" frame of mind. Of course I would have a ONS for free as well, and there are no commitments stopping me, but if someone wants to pay, I want enough to cover my parent's care, my niece's, nephew's, and any interested cousin's tuition, and do some donations.

No. My married aunt worked in a brothel for a spell (yes her husband knew), and I never saw anything morally wrong or even questionable in her decision. This situation is the same. You want money and someone offers to pay for a service. As long as everyone is over 18 and mentally capable of consent, there is nothing to judge. Unless, like eselle mentioned, you are a huge "family values" or "purity culture" campaigner. Then you should be judged for hypocrisy.

reboundstudent wrote:(For context, the boy and I were binge-watching Mad Men and were debating Joan's decision. I admit that for a certain amount of money, I'd probably do it, and the boy finds such a decision inscrutable.)

I have not watched Mad Men before, so now I am intrigued.
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:35 am

What does "at law" in Attorney At Law mean? Are there attorneys not at law?

Let me specify that my question applies to America. I've seen some info about what this means in Britain (though I'm still not clear on that).

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 am

Oh, as an attorney at law, I know the answer to that!

There's also such a thing as an attorney in fact ("attorney" just means a person appointed to act on behalf of another person). That would be someone who has a power of attorney for another person - a much more limited right to represent them, often restricted to signing documents. Elderly people who are mentally competent but not really up to handling things like bills or business affairs often have them. People who travel a lot or who live in remote locations sometimes have them too, if they know they'll be asked to sign important documents while they're away. A typical attorney in fact would be an older person's child, or a younger person's parents or siblings. I once gave my mother power of attorney back in the bad old days before e-signatures. It specifically gave her permission to sign lease documents for an apartment, because she was able to travel to the location of the apartment and I was not at the time, and for nothing else but that.

So, I'm an attorney at law because I'm someone who can act on behalf of another person in court (even though I never have and probably never would) as well as in business.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:56 am

Oh, okay. That makes sense! I was reading some confusing stuff about attorney at (common) law vs attorney at equity, but that seemed to apply to England. But I get professional attorney vs someone with power of attorney. Yay!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:17 am

Cool! You may have already found this in your research, but the reason courts of law and courts of equity seem odd in the US is that a lot of our courts merged them and, as an example, gave the same court the power to both grant a person suing someone for harassing them money damages (a legal remedy) but also to issue a restraining order (an equitable remedy) against the harasser.

That being said, it actually still is something that exists. It's just in pockets, but there are still courts of equity (hi there, Delaware!), especially in corporate law.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:49 am

Would you view someone who did take up the offer as less moral or having less character?

(For context, the boy and I were binge-watching Mad Men and were debating Joan's decision. I admit that for a certain amount of money, I'd probably do it, and the boy finds such a decision inscrutable.)
I'm fairly sure not being asked to do anything I didn't want to do would automatically rule out just about every act one would do specifically on one-night stands, so in all honesty nothing would tempt me. Not just no amount of money, nothing at all.

As for someone taking up the offer? If they'd be less moral for doing it for free, then they'd be less moral for doing it for money. If not, then if anything, I'd say they'd have more character for taking up the offer.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:15 pm

Would I have a one-night stand for money? Hell, I'd do it for free, but if you really want to pay me I won't say no, just send me a 1099 (independent contractor) at the end of the fiscal year.

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:18 pm

I'm not sure this is the best thread for this question but I don't think it deserves its own thread, so here it goes:

So I'm on the train back home with a classmate and I tell her about an app that I find useful for the courses we're taking. She doesn't quite catch the name so she asks me to spell it, so after getting home I send her a link to the app's website. I have her address because the day before she had said she couldn't access some PDFs a lecturer had posted and asked if someone could send them to her, which I did.

Would you find it a bit too creepy/pushy to get info you didn't explicitly ask for from a classmate? (by the way, I've got no romantic intentions but I don't think that changes anything.)
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum