NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants Empty Rants

Post by Hirundo Bos Sun May 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Yeah, our desire to be polite or even nice can be exploited when someone wants to persuade us. It's quite universal I think, but made into a finetuned skill in sales... I used to be very anxious about such encounters before I learned that if I say "mumble mumble Asperger's" and look as uncomfortable as I feel, cold-salespeople get it most of the time.
Hirundo Bos
Hirundo Bos

http://abouthirundo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Rants Empty Re: Rants

Post by BasedBuzzed Mon May 04, 2015 1:57 am

If you figuratively go "buy me a drink cos I'm hot", you have zero right to complain when said drink is something that will nuke your taste buds.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed May 06, 2015 10:28 am

>prosecuting someone for saying "fuck the king, fuck the queen, fuck the royal house" in a speech
Stand-up comedians have gotten away with worse and the statement can also be interpreted as "who cares what they think". You're seriously going to do this? I'm going to start voting libertarian if this shit persists.

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Wed May 06, 2015 2:03 pm

Home remodeling sucks! You lose your privacy during the day, there's noise and you lose access to parts of the house. And the worst part of it is that half the time the people you hire are incompetent and try to weasel their way out of work and owning up to their mistakes (I suspect this is in part due to sexism, as my short, nice, middle aged mother is the one dealing with them, though she's mad now).
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2015 6:08 am

Okay, I may have been born in Australia but I don't identify as an Australian.

With that being said, random fuckwit at the bar, if you're so proud of being Australian, what’s with the appeal to nostalgia every 30secs and the insistence that everything the country does 'Now' is terrible? It goes beyond dissatisfaction with the climate in modern Australia and degrades into self-indulgent wank incredibly fast.

I get you're a sad sack of shit trying to look smart, but that does not require being a vile cretin as a prerequisite.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 07, 2015 10:07 am

I feel like it's not scripts that are my problem, but a crippling fear that prevents me from implementing them.

I want to invite a friend for coffee, for example. I've been pretty shitty at inviting people places, so I want to get better at it. I know what I should say and even how I should say it. But I just can't do it out of what I can assume is fear.

Fear of what? I dunno. I know a part of it is finding travel to places very nerve-wracking (timing public transport, being ready in time - I usually end up being ready hours early at worst and pace like I'm deranged) so it can be tricky for me to suggest places that don't leave me worrying that it'll go wrong and I'll be late or something. But that's only part of it.

I mean, this friend wants to meet up. It's frustrating, but at least it's somewhat revelatory.

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Thu May 07, 2015 7:44 pm

Dear whoever's providing our electricity,

I realise that, from time to time, there are going to be power cuts. However, first of all, could you be a bit more considerate with your timing? When I am trying to write up something for the game I'm in and my stepdad is trying to watch Arrow, that is not a good time for a power cut. Secondly, once you are able to restore power to our household, I expect it to stay there for a considerable amount of time before the next power cut occurs. Three power cuts within the space of an hour is hardly what I would call acceptable. Get your act together!

Sincerely yours,
Robjection

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu May 07, 2015 9:17 pm

I hate true/false questions on tests. The teachers always ask trick questions.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by waxingjaney Thu May 07, 2015 10:34 pm

True or false?

This sentence is false.
waxingjaney
waxingjaney

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri May 08, 2015 12:11 am

Roses are red
I have a phone
Nobody texts me
Forever alone

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Fri May 08, 2015 3:54 am

Some days I just don't have the patience to be The Jackass Whisperer.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri May 08, 2015 12:40 pm

God, there's nothing like wanting/needing to say something but not being able to articulate anything. It's like playing pictionary without a marker...
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Fri May 08, 2015 4:21 pm

There's something unseemly about a person who is highly successful at a young age saying on Facebook "look at me and all these things I've accomplished: don't wait for someone to make your dreams comet true, make them happen yourself".
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Fri May 08, 2015 5:36 pm

The Wisp wrote:There's something unseemly about a person who is highly successful at a young age saying on Facebook "look at me and all these things I've accomplished: don't wait for someone to make your dreams comet true, make them happen yourself".

Any time I see people act like that, I just imagine them being in this situation:
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri May 08, 2015 9:37 pm

If you're a callout culture cultivator, don't start complaining when you're put on the rack yourself if people stumble upon your receipts, especially not if you've pilloried people for less.

Back to top Go down

Post by PintsizeBro Fri May 08, 2015 11:21 pm

What is wrong with people who work in IT? Why the fuck don't you listen when I tell you there's a problem instead of making me lose a day of productivity because you'd rather cop an attitude than do your fucking job? If I tell you there's something wrong with the CPU and rebooting didn't fix the problem, don't lecture me about the fucking RAM and sneer about how I should always reboot before coming to you!

(when he finally came over to take a look a full day later and actually listened when I described the problem, it took him literally two minutes to fix and there was no way I could have known to do what he did)

PintsizeBro

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat May 09, 2015 12:39 am

Just what I've been dying to do with my first Friday night of summer break: finish a gigantic grant report that my boss just HAS to have by tomorrow. Smash against wall
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Sat May 09, 2015 4:59 am

You keep using that word, "successful". To me it seems like the wrong word to apply to a kid who can't do anything any other person with a penpad and a computer couldn't. In a few months you'll have your work visa. But I could spend a decade still and be no closer to what you already have.

Speaking of, how do people manage to do bars at all? The late night ones, with all the...other people. And the noise. And the salads are kind of hit-or-miss.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon May 11, 2015 2:44 am

I just put my smartphone through the washing machine Smash against wall

Ah well, I am due for a new one at this point anyway, it was 2 years-old and slowing down and becoming glitchy...
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Mon May 11, 2015 10:27 am

You can remove the battery, put it in a bowl of rice, leave it 48 hours in peace on a moderately hot place, and then try if it still works or not. Don't switch it on, because then it can short-circuit.

Rice absorps moisture like crazy. When my cell fell in a toilet (after flushing luckily) it did the trick.
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 11, 2015 10:29 am

I wish I wasn't so terrified of other people.

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Mon May 11, 2015 1:44 pm

I still can't believe you gave us a stupid, confusing assignment Thursday evening that we're supposed to turn in by noon tomorrow so we can discuss all the responses on Wednesday. What do you really expect us to come up with for this?

EDIT: And we have ZERO power here in the library. Why are we here if we're just going to have the people who are supposed to be backing us up just give the complainer what they want? All someone has to do is bitch and cry about losing a privilege that they caused their self to lose and they get it? I thought these were fucking adults who went to college.

Last edited by caliseivy on Mon May 11, 2015 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Had another ranty event take place)
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by The Wisp Mon May 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Izmuth wrote:You can remove the battery, put it in a bowl of rice, leave it 48 hours in peace on a moderately hot place, and then try if it still works or not. Don't switch it on, because then it can short-circuit.

Rice absorps moisture like crazy. When my cell fell in a toilet (after flushing luckily) it did the trick.

Welp, I got it out quickly (and thankfully the washing machine is a frontloader), turned it off immediately (it was still on and fully functional), and this morning turned it on and everything works fine. I lucked out on this.
The Wisp
The Wisp

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue May 12, 2015 11:07 am

Went to sleep with a uncomfortable pain in my back, now have to work through it for eight hours Crying
This is going to be a difficult day.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Tue May 12, 2015 1:27 pm

Izmuth wrote:When my cell fell in a toilet (after flushing luckily) it did the trick.
This reminds me of a time in school when
This might gross you out:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum