NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 9 Empty Re: Rants

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:43 pm

This is why I only read wikis.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:09 pm

nearly_takuan wrote:
The thing is, Spidey started a little parallel sidequest arc back in #16, which spun off into #16.1 and became its own sub-series numbered #17.1, #18.1... Now there is a #19.1 and may be a #20.1, even though there is no #19!

The Boy has become a very avid Marvel comic reader, and he was trying to give me some guidance. His overall take? "Issue number is kind of meaningless, anyway."

Rants - Page 9 Giphy
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:59 pm

Honestly, as a new comic reader, I get frustrated by that too. I remedied it in part by focusing mostly on newer series where I could start with 1. You're already aware of my love for Squirrel Girl, but of the Marvel comics, I read the new series Spider Gwen and Silk too. And lots of comics will be rebooting once this Secret Wars stuff is over.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:02 pm

Okay, stranger at the hibachi table, I did not need to hear how "fucked up" your relationship with your "stupid bitch" of an ex-wife was. It's all good and fine to be celebrating with your new wife, but it's just tasteless to tell strangers about that, especially since your specifying that the marriage lasted 20 years suggests she's the mother of the kids you also mentioned. Some things can be kept to friends and family griping sessions, really.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:36 am

eselle28 wrote:Honestly, as a new comic reader, I get frustrated by that too. I remedied it in part by focusing mostly on newer series where I could start with 1. You're already aware of my love for Squirrel Girl, but of the Marvel comics, I read the new series Spider Gwen and Silk too. And lots of comics will be rebooting once this Secret Wars stuff is over.

I go the other way. Most of my purchases are trades of series that have finished their run. Got my full Invisibles and Transmet collections rebuilt and got the pre-New 52 Nightwing trades, Top Ten, The Question's crime bible one-off etc.
Gentleman Johnny
Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:50 am

"Sorry" appears to have no meaning. People will say it over trivialities. For actions they fully intend to repeat. They'll be sorry about an effect or consequence, but not be sorry about what led up to it. "Sorry," she says, referring to "how she gets" when she's ingested things that were supposed to be prescribed for three other people. How unfortunate, then, that "how she gets" isn't something anyone can actually change. Maybe some self-control before it gets to that point might be in order? But no, that's not what she's sorry about. Never will be.

I've been mostly indoctrinated with the same media as everybody else, but I still don't really get why I'm supposed to want to lie about it when somebody asks after my "history". Nor why the asker would then say she could tell, and even later apologize for having asked. Nor why, even later than that, she would not make use of that information before deciding to declare to the group that the problem (you know, the one) with her piece of shit ex-husband was that he was a "virgin".

Yeah, I'll just bet that's the real underlying reason he thinks marriage-sex is a confidence-boosting step on his destined quest to bed even more women!! or whatever. No, you can't invite him to my house.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gman Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:10 am

Sometimes the sexism and blatant misogynistic messages out there are so horrible that even if I wanted to ignore, I couldn't. Like these two beer commercials from my country. It's a really popular local beer brand here in Israel. I don't think I really need to explain what's going on in these, but I will anyway:

Do I really need to explain this? As you can clearly see, it shows women playing soccer/football and getting all emotional about it with that tag line at the end to boot ("Thank god you're a man and have a beer").

Here is another one from recently (after not learning their lesson from the last time):

In this one, the women enter the bar and the hostess tells them there is only room left at the corner of the bar. Now, there is this very famous local superstision that sitting in the corner brings bad luck in romance and that whoever sits there won't get married for at least 7 years ahead. So the "joke" is that they all rush to sit anywhere but the corner (complete with the famous classical christian wedding tune). Then the man simply shows up and sits there all calmly and orders a beer. Also - at the end - same tag line as the previous one.

Once again - Women = hysterical, irrational, hyper emotional, supersticious creatures. Men = logical, normal, cool.

These two recent commercials really boiled my blood  :grrr:  Disapproving  :grrr: and I have sworn this company off from now on. I won't be handing over my money to a company that promotes such blatant and ugly misogynistic messages. Besides - to be honest - it's a pretty mediocre beer as is, the only reason I kept drinking it until now is due to it's relativley low price here.
Gman
Gman

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:28 pm

>dissing logic due to people who call themselves logical
Argghh, I hate this. You are using logic to deconstruct the bad arguments they use to seem impartial and clinical.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:23 pm

Nearly 2:30am here, and it looks like it's going to be a sleepless night. Once again, I'm just in too much damned pain. I just with I understood why the world doesn't want me in it, or how I can stop being a joke to everyone.

Back to top Go down

Post by Izmuth Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:39 pm

Pagliacci, you might want to try out Pathfinder Society.

It's a structured RPG community, which makes it easy to ease in and might give you practice socializing with semi-strangers.
Izmuth
Izmuth

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:38 pm

eselle28 wrote:Honestly, as a new comic reader, I get frustrated by that too. I remedied it in part by focusing mostly on newer series where I could start with 1. You're already aware of my love for Squirrel Girl, but of the Marvel comics, I read the new series Spider Gwen and Silk too. And lots of comics will be rebooting once this Secret Wars stuff is over.

Oh, I really love Spider-Gwen!! The art is awesome, the sound effects might be the best I've ever seen (maybe even better than manga lettering! just maybe, though) and Gwen is a pretty cool character. I can't wait for V2 to come out!!

By the way, I still haven't been able to find the issue where
spoilers:
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:25 pm

Of all the impressions a person might do, my boyfriend has decided he wants to imitate wrestler Bo Dallas. If he starts yelling BOOOOLEEEEEEIVE during sex, I'm seriously going to reconsider this relationship.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:20 pm

I can find plenty of stay-at-home mom groups. I can even find working mom groups. What I can't find is work-from-home (or work-part-time) mom groups. And the stay-at-home mom groups are so exclusionary. Even their introductory text on their sites are things like, "For moms who know their children are their highest priority." Well, okay, yes, I know that. But what you're really saying is that you judge women who have jobs and don't make their children their only priority. I imagine your meet-ups including a lot of judgmental conversations about moms who work, as well as bitching about husbands who don't get it.

Would really like to find a work-from-home, feminist-mom, husband-actually-does-equal-share group. Sigh.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:26 pm

That sucks. Maybe start a meetup for work at home moms?
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:52 pm

I've been seriously considering it. I don't have the energy at the moment, but at some point in the future I hope to again. And mine would be for work-from-home parents. Dads welcome!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 pm

Dear Self:

STOP GETTING INTO DEBATES WITH YOUR MOTHER AND GRANDFATHER! THEY ALWAYS TURN OUT THE SAME!
Don't ever discuss black people with them again

Dumbass
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 pm

My ex boyfriend is a bipolar alcoholic who refuses to seek treatment.

When he lies to me, it is not true, because he is a bipolar alcoholic who refuses to seek treatment. When he lashes out at me, it is not my fault because he is a bipolar alcoholic who refuses to seek treatment. When he attempts to gaslight me, I am not crazy, because he is a bipolar alcoholic who refuses to seek treatment.

(Just for some context--he has frequent manic-depressive swings, but won't take his meds anymore and refuses to even consider talking to a psychiatrist, isn't willing to do therapy and despite admitting that he has a drinking problem, won't do anything about it.)

I know I should cut him out of my life. I know I shouldn't put up with this crap, of wondering why he's kind and fun to be around one day, and inexplicably mean and cold the next. It doesn't hurt as much now that we're just friends and not in a relationship anymore, but it still stings. But he's one of my only friends, and one of the few people I actually trust and who knows what's going on...

My ex boyfriend is a bipolar alcoholic who refuses to seek treatment. And I need to remember that.
Prajnaparamita
Prajnaparamita

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:12 pm

HOW IN THE HELL DO YOU EXPECT ME TO GET MY SHOT IF THERES A GODDAMN CAMERA IN MY FUCKING WAY AND I CANT TRUCK FURTHER TO THE RIGHT, YOU STUPID ASSHOLE.

:grrr:

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:57 am

>open question on whether you've ever been harassed for your ethnicity as a white person
>mention you've been harassed a few times over the years by Moroccan youths on bikes who go bumping into your bike from behind while shouting the Dutch equivalent of "fucking honky"
>bunch of nutcases jump into comments dismissing story as made-up
Literally wut. It's not structural, there were years inbetween incidents, they probably do it to Indonesian/Surinam folks too, literally any ethnic group has fucksticks like these, there's probably some part of my body language that parsed as intimidated even beforehand based on some latent racism I probably harbour, and that's your angle?
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by reboundstudent Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:21 pm

Nothing like seeing a photo of myself to completely and utterly ruin my day.
reboundstudent
reboundstudent

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:15 pm

Just looking through some of OKCupid's questions.

Urge to snark: RISING Disapproving Disapproving

Xexyz

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:22 pm

I miss Rooms. I did not realize how much I have come to depend on his company. It has been a long and lonely four months
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Tue Jul 14, 2015 11:46 am

I'm already cold, irritated, and dosing off and have only been here for an hour.
Don't think I'm going to make it through the day No
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 am

Ah, 'grow up'.

Grow up. Have the emotional maturity to think outside of your own needs.
Grow up. Snappy reactions and dismissive comments show lack of security in your view.
Grow up. Recognize you can't always know everything and that you're fallible.
Grow up. Realize that being an adult means making sacrifices.
Grow up. Stop trying to argue about everything, you're not a petulant teenager.
Grow up. You no longer have the comfort or excuse of ignorance due to your age.
Grow up. Being so invested in material goods and luxury vices is pathetic.
Grow up. Take responsbility for the world around you and the friends you have.
Grow up. Know when your emotions come from gut reaction instead of reality.
Grow up. Don't think throwing around terms like motte-and-bailey make you sound clever.

Except you rightfully cried out when this very same tool was used on you previously. You exposed how insidious it was, what those words really meant, and how hollow to actually were when dissected. It was always meant to be dismantled, not simply switch owners. Yet you fully knew what it was and stil chose to use it. Pathetic.
BasedBuzzed
BasedBuzzed

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:19 pm

Why on earth is the shooter in the Chattanooga situation a terrorist but the shooter in the Charleston situation isn't? This country is odd.
WJMorris3
WJMorris3

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 17 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum