NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rants

+32
Nerdator
Xexyz
Gman
kath
CP96
Wondering
Barretts_Salt
readertorider
reboundstudent
BiSian
Dannyboy
Prajnaparamita
Caffeinated
Chickpea Sarada
Andrew Corvero
reboot
lonelyoffices
jcorozza
WJMorris3
Conreezy
litterature
eselle28
Izmuth
Werel
PintsizeBro
nearly_takuan
Gentleman Johnny
waxingjaney
caliseivy
Robjection
The Wisp
Hirundo Bos
36 posters

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Go down

Rants - Page 12 Empty Re: Rants

Post by Werel Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:13 am

eselle28 wrote:My boyfriend dumped me for a church. My atheist boyfriend dumped me for a church.

However that happened, damn, I'm sorry eselle. Sad
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:22 am

eselle28 wrote:My boyfriend dumped me for a church. My atheist boyfriend dumped me for a church.

WAAAAAAAA! That fucking sucks. So sorry, eselle
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:31 am

The convert's zeal of the reformed nerd is pathetic. The self-indulgent screeds, the snark-over-substance, the desperate signalling, the only thing that's changed is the targets.

You still enjoy the childish crusading and picturing yourself as the struggling underdog. You want maximum punishment for the mistakes your younger self made for newcomers, while you yourself were allowed to learn lessons on how to be a better person without so much as a slap on the wrist. You still haven't gotten the backbone to handle callouts of your own behaviour even now without clamping down in hissyfits. Ever thankful for the example of how I never want to be.

Back to top Go down

Post by litterature Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:52 am

BasedBuzzed wrote:The convert's zeal of the reformed nerd is pathetic. The self-indulgent screeds, the snark-over-substance, the desperate signalling, the only thing that's changed is the targets.

You still enjoy the childish crusading and picturing yourself as the struggling underdog. You want maximum punishment for the mistakes your younger self made for newcomers, while you yourself were allowed to learn lessons on how to be a better person without so much as a slap on the wrist. You still haven't gotten the backbone to handle callouts of your own behaviour even now without clamping down in hissyfits. Ever thankful for the example of how I never want to be.

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing but I disavowed nerddom for a while and that made me turn into a real douchebag. I really regret some of the stuff I said back then, and some of the decisions I made. Thankfully I'm back on the right track but the damage is done, and I'm also never going to recover the time I lost pretending I didn't want anything to do with nerdy stuff, which sounds trivial but had a real impact in choices that were really crucial... Snobbery is the fucking worst, for others but also for yourself (although to be fair there's a sizeable population of nerdy snobfucks out there).

Also, I'm sorry to hear that esselle :/
litterature
litterature

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:15 am

litterature wrote:
BasedBuzzed wrote:The convert's zeal of the reformed nerd is pathetic. The self-indulgent screeds, the snark-over-substance, the desperate signalling, the only thing that's changed is the targets.

I don't know if we're talking about the same thing but I disavowed nerddom for a while and that made me turn into a real douchebag. I really regret some of the stuff I said back then, and some of the decisions I made. Thankfully I'm back on the right track but the damage is done, and I'm also never going to recover the time I lost pretending I didn't want anything to do with nerdy stuff, which sounds trivial but had a real impact in choices that were really crucial... Snobbery is the fucking worst, for others but also for yourself (although to be fair there's a sizeable population of nerdy snobfucks out there).

This was more of a reaction to bumping into a Chu thinkpiece again, but the snobbery parallel fits. I have nothing against making fun of nerds and normies, but the moment it actually becomes ego fuel is the moment it goes wrong.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:46 am

Werel wrote:

However that happened, damn, I'm sorry eselle. Sad

reboot wrote:

WAAAAAAAA! That fucking sucks. So sorry, eselle

Thanks, guys. I honestly don't know what's up with him these days, but a most-of-his-life atheist has suddenly become the world's biggest fan of his friend's megachurch, and voicing some non-dealbreaker objections to that particular choice of institution (and it was that particular one rather than the idea of undertaking any spiritual activity) is not supporting his personal growth. And since we're not together, he cancelled my ticket to see him on vacation...which was going to be starting Friday and I'd already taken time off for. But he still wants to be friends and to talk on the phone when he's back. (Um, yeah, no.)
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Oh, shit, I'm so sorry Eselle, that sucks.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:39 pm

Holy cow. I'm so sorry, eselle. Jedi hugs. Sad

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Caffeinated Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:46 pm

I keep trying to post something in the stalking thread, and then getting so sick and nauseous just thinking about it. My stalker is dead, and all these years later just thinking about it makes my blood pressure shoot through the roof. Fuck that guy. Fuck that fucking guy.
Caffeinated
Caffeinated

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:46 pm

Kankershite, it's survived fucking moshpits and now a mundane fall to the ground breaks my glasses.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 pm

THE CLAW HAMMER IS NOT A WICCAN RITUAL TOOL YOU IGNORANT SCAREMONGERING DUMBFUCKS! You're journalists. Do some fucking research!
'Wiccan Ritual Killing' Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:41 pm

Gentleman Johnny wrote:THE CLAW HAMMER IS NOT A WICCAN RITUAL TOOL YOU IGNORANT SCAREMONGERING DUMBFUCKS! You're journalists. Do some fucking research!
'Wiccan Ritual Killing' Leaves Family of Three Dead in Pensacola: Police
Oh for fuck's sake, are we really doing this satanic panic horseshit again, America? Really?

Sgt. Shitfuck wrote: When asked how the evidence suggests these are ritualistic or Wiccan killings Sgt. Hobbes said, "The injuries to the victims, the positions of the bodies and also the person of interest right now is also a practitioner."
Wow cool specifics bro, sounds like you definitely know exactly what the hell you're talking about. I hear there are some detective jobs open in West Memphis, you'd fit right in
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:42 pm

Gah I can't stand most of my family sometimes.

Why, Sibling A, would you passive-aggressively snap at us for no reason and then tell us to fuck off and insult us then proceed to block us, and then the next week tell our parent to relay to us that you are graduating as if you want us to come?? WTF I am so done with you.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Prajnaparamita Thu Aug 06, 2015 3:45 pm

Things I have learned today from my time on the phone with animal control:

It was perfectly legal for our shithead neighbors down the street to abandon their outdoor cat when they moved away.

It would however be illegal for me to use a humane trap to bring that cat, which has been living as a stray in the months since they left, to our local no-kill shelter to be cared for and put up for adoption.

Disapproving

Back to top Go down

Post by Gentleman Johnny Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:17 pm

On the other hand, if you just happened to catch a stray cat that looked a lot like your ex-neighbors' cat but had no tags, it would be totally legal (and probably free) to get it spayed and immunized and/or put up for adoption.

Gentleman Johnny

Back to top Go down

Post by Xexyz Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:56 pm

I really, really, need to learn to be less people-pleasing/conflict-averse and more firm & assertive in this line of work I'm in now. Part of it is that I'm new and don't want to rock the boat but since my job is in auditing rocking the boat when necessary is one of my responsibilities. Neutral

Xexyz

Back to top Go down

Post by nearly_takuan Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:35 pm

^ Yeah, I am having a somewhat similar experience right now. It is in some ways flattering to be asked to take on a more manager/owner kind of role (on that level several steps up from QA) but I don't love making those kinds of decisions or delegating tasks or arguing requirements. Feels very unnatural to me. Especially when there are others who would eagerly take charge here if they could.
nearly_takuan
nearly_takuan

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 pm

It is not upbringing or bad influences or lack of confrontation or projected self-hate or boredom or some not-yet-diagnosed disorder that makes me evil(though this is really run-of-the-mill assholishness, all in all). It is a choice I make every day, because the fleeting pleasure of a malevolent thought or a piece of schadenfreude is so worth it.

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:20 pm

"What the hell, life? My ipad is 10x7, has a bright red cover, and I know I didn't take it out of the apartment. There's no reason finding it should be this hard. It better not be somewhere weird like in the refrigerator."

"What the hell, self? Your ipad was under your pillow. Your ipad is almost always under your pillow because of that falling asleep while reading habit. I don't know why you even bothered looking anywhere else first, let alone took half an hour to think of the obvious."
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:22 pm

https://archive.is/hMQIc
>assign market value to emotional labour
>phrase it as "acknowledge your thirsty posturing/pretend to find you fascinating/soothe your ego so you don't get angry"
According to the laws of market value you still would earn subpar because your product is worthless. Yes, yes, it's tongue-in-cheek, it's not directed at men who do indeed do the legwork and it's phrased in that neat kafkatrap manner in which the more you react, the truer(and more clickable) it must be, but do you honestly think men are such emotional troglodytes that they won't detect it whenever you're exasperated behind whatever grudging front you put up?

This is why I try my hardest not to draw deposits from that swell bank metaphor of emotional labour unless I have a good enough bond with the person to know they won't be annoyed. That's not your fault, and you certainly don't mean "men should never show their emotions", but it's a great way to avoid the creeps who will pathologize my inner life.

(Edited in the ragebait in question. Yes, it is a snipped quote, but even isolated it is bad enough. For the record, none of the people on the forum ever come even close to this odious manner of caricaturing and as far as I've seen all invest more than they withdraw from the proverbial bank.)

Last edited by BasedBuzzed on Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:53 pm

<mod>BasedBuzzed, I think you're only talking about the article and not meaning to refer to the discussion on this forum, so this isn't directed solely at you so much as a note for everyone, but in general, if you're talking about something that has also been the subject of heated discussion here, please try to make it clear that you're only talking directly about the something, and stay very clear of any of the discussion that's happened here.

And if there's reason to think that a topic will be controversial or generate discussion, please err on the safe side and don't post about it in Rants. Thanks, all!</mod>
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by caliseivy Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:58 am

Are you effing kidding me?
No I'm not here for my damn eyebrows, if I was I would have talked to someone about it already and not be standing next to my sister while she gets her nails done.
My eyebrows are not that large, but thanks for the insult lady.
caliseivy
caliseivy

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:58 pm

Look, department administrators, I get that you don't have to say yes when another graduate assistant and I ask to switch assignments. Just because I love copyediting and she loves teaching undergrads is no good reason to allow me to copyedit and her to teach, apparently. Let's set aside how much I'm dreading teaching this bullshit course (NAUSEA), or how good a copyeditor I am, or how we'd both do infinitely better work if you let us do the jobs we liked. Fine. I accept your arbitrary choice.

But you've assigned me to teach a class section that I cannot make it to. I have class during that timeslot, you guys. Class credits I need to earn towards the fucking doctorate you're paying me to complete. And class starts in two weeks. So... fucking fix this, please. Smash against wall
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Robjection Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:39 pm

So remember a while back when Norton was being stupid on my computer so I got rid of it? Well I forgot to cancel the yearly subscription and now £65 has gone down the drain.

Gurf.

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:05 am

You want to 'make memes' with us, you say? You will get the MLGest of shit, I promise you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 17  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum