NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The fear of "Too Late"

+13
nearly_takuan
reboot
bomaye
ReploidArmada
kath
WJMorris3
Robjection
celette482
jcorozza
eselle28
Wondering
Enail
Werel
17 posters

Page 13 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next

Go down

The fear of "Too Late" - Page 13 Empty Re: The fear of "Too Late"

Post by bomaye Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:29 pm

Dropped off another resume at a place today that was advertising on Craigslist. Manager said they were already full up but things apparently change quickly and covering graveyard is hard to fill. That wouldn't really bother me I don't think, so here's hoping
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:44 pm

Awesome!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Seconding awesome! Grin
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:52 am

Wishing you luck!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:25 am

Awesome! Aside from what it might do to your sleep patterns, I can see you being cool with graveyard shift. Lower public interaction Smile
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Dropped off a resume at 7-Eleven today. Manager asked me how old I was (not supposed to do that, but I'm not gonna argue with him), I said "29", he said I looked much younger (I guess I was right on that one). He asked if I could cook chicken, I told him I hadn't done it very often but I could try it. He said he had other resumes too so if anything came up etc

I don't think it went too too well, pretty sure I came off as overly nervous, but it wasn't the worst thing in the world either
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:15 pm

Glad it wasn't the worst thing even if it didn't go too well. Good job!
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:20 pm

That doesn't sound like the worst thing in the world!  First interview's never gonna be your best interview anyway, so now you got that out of the way. Fistbump for going through with this stuff, too. Super cool to be like "I should maybe do this" and then actually do it. Shiny/thrilled
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:58 am

Not much happening elsewhere, but cravings and desire for anything caffeinated is totally gone.
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:40 pm

Yay, you did it! Run in circles flail
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:09 pm

SUCCESS! Nice!! Shiny/thrilled
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:15 am

Yeah, it's a decent small victory Smile

I'm kind of missing the "bite" Pepsi, I tried some other kinds of non-caffeinated (researched beforehand) pop and nothing else really hits the spot.

Also 7-Up/Sprite seems to make me irritable. I got mad/sad reading about virginity stuff in a way that I haven't in a little while. Not fighting/arguing kind of mad, not too late/defeated sad, but more like left behind by the world by stupid generalities that are half in my own head but also half perpetuated by normal people's expectations? I need to unrepress myself somehow.

Edit: Before the mods start sweating, the mad/sad has mostly passed :p
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:07 am

It is normal to feel mad/sad about things you read, especially if it touches a personal sore spot. Hell, I spend most of my days getting mad about what I read. It is what you do with the anger that is important. You can let it pass through you (best for most things that hit personal sore spots or where fighting will change nothing), use it for energy to implement changes (what I do for things that make me mad/sad that are work related), or get rid of it by lashing out (only really useful in combat type situations).
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:41 pm

Unrepressing oughta be a lot easier without the caffeine rollercoaster, so that's something.
bomaye wrote:I'm kind of missing the "bite" Pepsi, I tried some other kinds of non-caffeinated (researched beforehand) pop and nothing else really hits the spot.
....caffeine-free Pepsi? Razz
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:50 pm

I lived on caffeine-free diet Pepsi when I was pregnant, diet for the diabetes, caffeine-free for the baby. Didn't taste different from regular diet Pepsi to me, so I'd hope the non-diet and caffeine-free non-diet would taste the same, too.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:52 pm

reboot wrote:It is normal to feel mad/sad about things you read, especially if it touches a personal sore spot. Hell, I spend most of my days getting mad about what I read. It is what you do with the anger that is important. You can let it pass through you (best for most things that hit personal sore spots or where fighting will change nothing), use it for energy to implement changes (what I do for things that make me mad/sad that are work related), or get rid of it by lashing out (only really useful in combat type situations).

I think the hard part for me is that, as someone who tends to catastrophize, I see something that confirms my negative biases, it hits hard, and I have to argue or fight it to change the opinion, even though it rarely works and not everyone conforms to the bias :/

Werel wrote:
....caffeine-free Pepsi? Razz

I've seriously never seen this before Uh-oh
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:44 pm

bomaye wrote:I've seriously never seen this before Uh-oh
Huh, it's in every grocery store here. Gold cans.

bomaye wrote:I think the hard part for me is that, as someone who tends to catastrophize, I see something that confirms my negative biases, it hits hard, and I have to argue or fight it to change the opinion, even though it rarely works and not everyone conforms to the bias :/
So is it like "I hate that [overgeneralized group, like Society or Everyone] conforms to this negative bias; when I see an individual conforming to the negative bias, I want to fight them as an avatar of the broader problem"? You know that even if you could change one mind, which rarely happens anyway, it wouldn't make a dent in a society-wide bias. If, like you said, the negative biases are half in your own head, why not start the fight on the only turf you've got a good shot at affecting? Like, can you take the fight to the parts of yourself that buy in to those biases? You've got a better chance of winning that battle.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:05 pm

I've found it kind of hard because the things that confirm the biases are not hard to see or find, which undoes a lot of trying to change the bias in the first place because it's like "Oh, it is real."
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 pm

Like, today it's "businesses won't hire anyone unless they are highly qualified and agree to crap pay and serf treatment, and if they can't find them, they'll just import them from China/India/wherever" which got confirmed by a reddit thread, which does not give me much confidence for the future
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Those are hyperbolic and generalisations; companies are more prone to lower pay and worse treatment than they were in the past, some companies ask for more qualifications for some jobs, and big factories and the like tend to take their jobs overseas if they can do it cheaper, but businesses are still hiring, they are still hiring new workers, they are still paying, and they still need people locally. Small businesses especially are not going to be importing their labour. Don't take peoples' venting about trends as such absolute truths.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:19 pm

Yeah, combating the confirmation biaseseseses will take some work Smile
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:55 am

Aight, it's been a few weeks, no one within walking distance is hiring.

Wat do
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:44 am

bomaye wrote:Aight, it's been a few weeks, no one within walking distance is hiring.

Wat do

You have any placed around you that are popular/crowded during Christmas? Lots of places do temporary holiday hiring starting pretty soon. You could call around and ask.

Does it happen to be safe to bike in your area? If yes, a bike makes great transport and it is pretty cheap to pick up a used bike if you do not have one.
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by bomaye Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:24 am

reboot wrote:
You have any placed around you that are popular/crowded during Christmas? Lots of places do temporary holiday hiring starting pretty soon. You could call around and ask.

Not within walking distance, no :/

Does it happen to be safe to bike in your area? If yes, a bike makes great transport and it is pretty cheap to pick up a used bike if you do not have one.

In the ice and snow?

My mom doesn't drive in the ice and snow during winter, which really hampers options because she won't let me drive in it either with her car, and her and my sister think it'd be smart to get something around here. Problem being, if they're not hiring, and I'm not a catch to hire anyways, then I'm just kind of stuck every which way

Last edited by bomaye on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
bomaye
bomaye

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:39 pm

Unless you're in a very business-heavy area (or walk really, really far), walking distance is a very small pool, so it's not surprising none of them have been hiring.

Can you expand your definition of walking distance at all? How far are you from a bus stop, could you look at places that are relatively convenient by bus?  Or, if your sister or dad will drive in the snow, try places around their work area and hitch a ride with them?

Otherwise, you'll probably have to change tacks a bit, either focus on schooling or do something else to make money (internet stuff, look for local "make me a web page" type jobs on Craigslist) and start saving up for a car if you want to be aiming for getting a job first off. I feel like there's something else I'm not thinking of here.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 13 of 28 Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 20 ... 28  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum