NerdLounge
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Politics and Current Events

+28
sky
nearly_takuan
Aggrax
waxingjaney
Izmuth
Amygdala
Prajnaparamita
WolfBlitzer
ElizaJane
caliseivy
reboundstudent
Robjection
JP McBride
Wondering
BasedBuzzed
bomaye
eselle28
WJMorris3
Werel
jcorozza
Suika
Hirundo Bos
litterature
The Wisp
kath
Enail
Caffeinated
reboot
32 posters

Page 20 of 33 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 33  Next

Go down

Politics and Current Events - Page 20 Empty Re: Politics and Current Events

Post by eselle28 Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:25 pm

All this political talk makes me think this would be a good evening to have tacos for dinner.
eselle28
eselle28
General Oversight Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:44 pm

eselle28 wrote:All this political talk makes me think this would be a good evening to have tacos for dinner.
Given that the head of Latinos for Trump said if Trump loses, there'll be taco trucks on every corner...

Does that make Election Day Taco Tuesday?

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:39 pm

I would watch it, Donny boy, senders of unsolicited dick pics are probably a big percentage of your most likely voters: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/292183-trump-goes-after-pervert-sleaze-anthony-weiner
reboot
reboot
Moderator of "Other Relationships" and "Gender, Identity and Society"

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:44 pm

reboot wrote:I would watch it, Donny boy, senders of unsolicited dick pics are probably a big percentage of your most likely voters: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/292183-trump-goes-after-pervert-sleaze-anthony-weiner

Aside from that angle, Trump's assumption that Abedin would of course be sharing classified information with Weiner makes me suspect that Melania, Ivanka, Jared, Donnie, Eric, and probably a couple guys Trump played golf with have been sharing in his intelligence briefings.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:20 pm

eselle28 wrote:
reboot wrote:I would watch it, Donny boy, senders of unsolicited dick pics are probably a big percentage of your most likely voters: http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/292183-trump-goes-after-pervert-sleaze-anthony-weiner

Aside from that angle, Trump's assumption that Abedin would of course be sharing classified information with Weiner makes me suspect that Melania, Ivanka, Jared, Donnie, Eric, and probably a couple guys Trump played golf with have been sharing in his intelligence briefings.

Hell, he probably shares them with his buddy, Vladimir, hence why his campaign has not been hacked Smile
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:31 pm

The taco thing is so ridiculous. Because why wouldn't we want taco trucks on every corner.

And it made me wonder if that guy had recently watched Napoleon Dynamite because the girl who was running against Pedro said asked the students if they wanted to have "chimineychangas" every day for lunch.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:50 pm

Wondering wrote:The taco thing is so ridiculous. Because why wouldn't we want taco trucks on every corner.

One more gripe about taco trucks: of all things, Republicans are now complaining about small, sometimes family-owned, businesses providing useful services that consumers like. Aren't businesses like that usually what they start talking about when they try to appeal to middle class voters?

And now, this, the moment of every near-future science fiction movie where you realize that things are about to go very badly for the protagonist (of all people, shouldn't Trump be able to do advertising right?):

Politics and Current Events - Page 20 CrZHqZsUIAA2mwh
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:21 pm

Politics and Current Events - Page 20 Lads_400x400

These people can't speak for millennials if they're this bad at Instagram hair. Could the brunette one not have done something about that unsightly flyaway? Why even bother with that much gel if you don't comb it immediately preceding the shot? Where are your staff? Please, sir. Comb down that flyaway.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by Enail Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:31 pm

...Are those people meant to be the insiders or the outsiders? That ad is so...not good.
Enail
Enail
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:35 pm

Duh, the hot rich white kids are obviously outsiders in every conceivable way. innocent
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Fri Sep 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Enail wrote:...Are those people meant to be the insiders or the outsiders? That ad is so...not good.

All I can really take from it is that the Trump kids are such insiders that they can't even position themselves outsiders in a credible way. I almost want to refer them to Jaden and Willow Smith out of pity.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:19 am

Why do only his kids from Ivana count? What about Tiffany? She's an adult. Melania's son is still a kid, but why leave out Tiffany?

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Sat Sep 03, 2016 12:43 am

Wondering wrote:Why do only his kids from Ivana count? What about Tiffany? She's an adult. Melania's son is still a kid, but why leave out Tiffany?

This is maybe the one thing where I'm inclined to give Trumps a break. Blended families are tough. There's one in my extended family where the young adult stepsiblings are so gooey sweet I had to hide them because their sugary memes were a bit too much, and there are a couple of others where half siblings are cordial but make no attempt to contact each other when it's not a family event. Tiffany grew up on the other side of the country from her older siblings, and I suspect is better off for it. She spoke at the convention, but she might not even want to participate in all this.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Ah, okay. I was thinking of it from the perspective of kids to dad, not kids to other kids, specifically because she'd spoken at the convention. But I see what you mean.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Sun Sep 04, 2016 1:17 pm

What the heck is going on in North Dakota? A private company is digging up Native religious and burial sites without permission and loosing private security dogs on the protestors from the tribe? I mean, I get the sites aren't on the reservation but 1) the tribe didn't voluntarily choose the reservation boundaries (I'm assuming, because what tribe did), and 2) you still have to do surveys before excavating to see if there are historical sites you might disturb.

This feels so 19th century. Acting like the Indians can't leave the reservation and digging up their sites for natural resource acquisition for white people, all the while the company taking the law into its own hands to keep the tribe away.

I don't know if that's truly an accurate summary of the situation. I'm reading conflicting stuff, but this sounds really retrograde.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:10 pm

Wondering wrote:What the heck is going on in North Dakota? A private company is digging up Native religious and burial sites without permission and loosing private security dogs on the protestors from the tribe? I mean, I get the sites aren't on the reservation but 1) the tribe didn't voluntarily choose the reservation boundaries (I'm assuming, because what tribe did), and 2) you still have to do surveys before excavating to see if there are historical sites you might disturb.

This feels so 19th century. Acting like the Indians can't leave the reservation and digging up their sites for natural resource acquisition for white people, all the while the company taking the law into its own hands to keep the tribe away.

I don't know if that's truly an accurate summary of the situation. I'm reading conflicting stuff, but this sounds really retrograde.

The Navy, sadly, is doing the same thing here in San Diego.

And not to sound superstitious, but nothing good's ever come out of messing with Native American burial grounds. Or the dead for that matter.

Back to top Go down

Post by reboot Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:19 pm

I have been following that protest because one of my  Navajo friends is active in Tribal rights movements. The primary concern of the tribe is that the oil pipeline will break and the water will be contaminated, including their wells and the destruction of sacred sites that are located in their original treaty lands, but were lost because the government broke the treaty repeatedly.

Here are some links:
http://www.npr.org/2016/08/25/491377956/native-americans-protest-new-oil-pipeline-in-north-dakota

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/27/us/north-dakota-oil-pipeline-battle-whos-fighting-and-why.html
reboot
reboot

Back to top Go down

Post by WJMorris3 Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:07 am

176 Reasons Donald Trump Shouldn't Be President

Back to top Go down

Post by Werel Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:03 pm

I thought I was cynical enough about the news, but I'm actually chilled by the absence of reporting on the Alabama pipeline burst. Washington Post has "dying dog lives to see owner married" on the front page in lieu of "oh fuck there's gasoline everywhere." Not a word about it on any major US outlets. Nobody's even bothering to pretend they're allowed to talk about it.
Werel
Werel
DOCTOR(!)

Back to top Go down

Post by BasedBuzzed Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:49 pm

Mass graves of folks trying to cross the border: http://www.democracynow.org/2015/7/16/mass_graves_of_immigrants_found_in

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Wed Sep 21, 2016 3:46 am

Hillary Clinton was doing so well in the polls, and now she's not. FiveThirtyEight had her chance of winning at 74% only a few weeks ago, and now it's only 56%. Swing states that had moved into blue -- Ohio, North Carolina, Florida -- are back to red again. And the debates are coming up and Trump now has Roger Ailes to make him media ready. Like Ailes did for Nixon. And Reagan. And Bush Sr. He even gave media advice to Bush Jr.

And I'm worried. Very worried.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:11 pm

In non-political news, Chinese satellite may just crash into earth. Oops.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Thu Sep 22, 2016 7:22 pm

I saw that!

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by eselle28 Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:38 am

Politics and Current Events - Page 20 FlPhykc4_biggerMeet the Press Verified account @MeetThePress
.@chucktodd: #debatenightPolitics and Current Events - Page 20 US_Election_Debates_Additions exposed Trump's lack of preparation, but Clinton seemed over-prepared at times.

I'm now officially tired of the media attempting to treat these two candidates in a balanced manner.
eselle28
eselle28

Back to top Go down

Post by Wondering Tue Sep 27, 2016 2:02 am

Good grief. I'm not sure if that's even a surfeit of trying to be balanced. That reeks of sexism to me. Woman who speaks well must be over-compensating, not just competent.

I'd be happy if NBC stopped tacitly endorsing Trump.

Wondering

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 33 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 26 ... 33  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum